Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2009, 19:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc15 View Post
> fuel-consumption indicator comes in handy (though not a full-fledged computer)

> autolocking (locks after 15kmph; locks/unlocks with shifting of gear from/to P; programmable)

> paddles work in D as well (like in City); I guess it comes with a later version of software. I'm not sure if there is any ECU remap/tuning done.

> USB with iPod connectivity. My first gen Nano with latest firmware works fine. (but I saw 'unsupported version' for the same iPod once; some firmware issue with the HU)

> I did drive with 5 over a few bangalore-styled humps and no scraping (well I cant say its completely resolved, need some time; but its surely stiffer compared to the old TD car I drove)
Hmm, the little but important bits like this never get mentioned on any reviews or even their own website.

Quote:
> Though a little too early to talk about FE now, it was great to see 10.6kmpl for city driving with trip-A showing 38kms. (I'm not sure if there is any tuning done in the face-lift for shift-points/grade-logic)
That's great mileage for the A/T. You need to do a tankful to tankful to know how accurate it is though.

Quote:
> The groove for the screw in the key (with remote) is in the key-stem itself rather than in plastic around it (minor one though)
Hmm, post a picture? I can't quite imagine what you're saying.

Quote:
> steering mounted controls missing (yuck! what a cheap trick to cut cost)
Yep, it costs only around $20 for the buttons and a cable from the cable reel to the HU to have this. But the HU can only accommodate only one remote controller, so they must've thought more people want it in the rear.

Quote:
> fenders have a play of about 0.5cm near the mudflaps (noticeable in accord too)
It's worse if the A.S.S people have fiddled with it and failed to reattach it properly. My left fender sticks out from the side skirt.

Quote:
> bonnet weighs less than my Ikon's, thinner sheets used ?
Probably. The car is quite light at around ~1300KGs of kerb weight.

[quote=mkc15;1524597] > dashborad panels (small ones) near the quarter glass, feel a bit cheap/flaky compared to other plastics around./quote]

The look like an afterthought, yes.

Quote:
> steerng feedback could have been slightly improved for low-speeds. (my Ikon fairs better here)

> steering grip could have been slightly thicker (like my Ikon's); I think City and Jazz have thicker ones
The hydraulic steering is sorted for flicking it around at 60KMPH.

Quote:
> choice of colors (Carbon-bronze/Misty-violet missing for me)
Carbon Bronze Pearl is my favorite after Tafetta White. The Misty Violet Pearl I have was a family consensus - I had no real say.

Quote:
Here are some initial pics. Part-2 coming after the weekend drive and with more pics. Thanx again for all your inputs (via threads/PMs).

Run-in period is very frustrating!
Good pics.

Oh I know what you mean by frustrating. The running in period for me was the most irritating and frustrating time for me.

'gratz on the car and do try to keep us posted with a long term ownership report!

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 10th October 2009 at 19:42.
Old 10th October 2009, 20:01   #17
JRD
BHPian

Nice pictures! I agree with you completely on the front bumper. Though the changed is subtle, it sure does enhance the front end of the car. How the stiffened rear suspension feel? is it a noticeable difference from the older setup?
Old 11th October 2009, 14:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your new car! And the color is great

Quote:
Chronology

Research

Extensively TDed all the cars and this is what I said to myself.
> Altis is simply the most practical car; 7/10 exterior, 6/10 interior, 6/10 fun
> Civic is simply 'pure exhilaration'; 8/10 exterior, 9/10 interior, 9/10 fun (My Ikon, as I see it in its segment: 7/10 exterior, 6/10 interior, 8/10 fun!)
I can understand the exterior rating, but can you explain such a high contrast in the interior rating of the 2 cars (both have pretty good interiors).
Old 12th October 2009, 10:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car.Probably you own the first face lifted civic in forum.
You choosed one among the best colors in civic.
Pls post some interior pics as well.

Can you pls confirm whether audio controls on rear armrest exist for the newer model?

iTnerd:When is your civic coming?White is also a gorgeous color.

ImmortalZ:You civic stands out of the crowd.It is either you hate or love the color, but i love it.
Old 12th October 2009, 10:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

mkc15: congrats on your car. I saw the new revision Civic while taking my car for service on Saturday, and i must say they made a car which was already looking good fantastic. Some subtle changes - but very dramatic impact.

Nice to know they stiffened the suspension.
Old 12th October 2009, 14:22   #21
BHPian

Quote:

I didn't like
steering mounted controls missing (yuck! what a cheap trick to cut cost)
NO NO NO!! they are there but in the back! check your car's rear armrest! LOLZ!

HONDA wants us to be chauffeured around listening to gazzals and old songs lolz!.(uncleji's). i was so pissed off at this thing, i can't tell you!! i am an audiophile. and it hurts!

bhpians-- they may get older but are young at heart for ever and would like to drive themselves.then again bhpian who is chauffered around is like committing sacrilege lolz! okay unless you are really tired with meetings and are like big CEO, VP or something. its okay!! but at night you should take control!!

but to be truthful to honda they have their target audience i think! and its not bad catering to the demographics. after all you don't buy a civic if you are in early 20's not with your own money. unless daddy gives it to you. then its different!

congratulations on spanking new civic. you must love the smell of the fresh leather!! mmm.

Last edited by Caramelo : 12th October 2009 at 14:23.
Old 12th October 2009, 14:54   #22
Team-BHP Support

Nice car and Congratz on your new purchase! keep updating with new log and pictures.
Old 12th October 2009, 20:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
mkc15: congrats on your car. I saw the new revision Civic while taking my car for service on Saturday, and i must say they made a car which was already looking good fantastic. Some subtle changes - but very dramatic impact.

Nice to know they stiffened the suspension.
Hmm, I'm not too keen on the changes though. I would've rather had the full Type-R front. They took the bottom half of the Type-R front and them did an Accord job on the grill. Should've kept the floating swooping wing-like thing.

I like the blackened headlights. It adds more aggression. But the tail lamps needed to have their whole design changed to match the octatetrawhattagonal light shape. Now it's like weird cross between the JDM tail and the USDM tail. But that would've necessitated changed rear quarter panels and boot. That would add inefficiency because they'll need to manufacture and stock the old style ones as well since the cars tend to last for decades. In the end efficiency and engineering won over design - which isn't surprising in a Japanese company.

That's just me, however. The new look seem to have lots of takers too.

Welcome changes all over the inside though.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 12th October 2009 at 20:32.
Old 12th October 2009, 20:38   #24
BHPian

I don't like the rear. It looks awkward. Haven't seen it from the front.
Old 12th October 2009, 20:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

To me the Type R front on the new Civic is just awesome! Like the way the black mesh grill is added and can be seen prominently. The nose job also helps in making the front look much wider, and mimicks as having a front underneath skirt.

The rear, I hated it in picture.. but in real, it is kinda cool.. anyway, as Civics are too common on roads, its nice to have the rear job as well!

I test drove the new facelift V model! The car had 1200 kms done on the odo, and yet I can see small small wrinkles, wear & tear, dirt & grease on the the leather upholstery, and it seems faded, just within a few weeks.. apparently, the quality is not top notch (at least not to the level of Stanley). Hence, I drop the idea of the V variant (as the leather was the only deciding factor for me to get the V variant).. above all, 90K difference! thats a lot!

Added: During the TD, I told the salesman, the absence of the audio controls on the steering is a big let down in the new facelift. Got the response "Sir, if you look carefully, the audio on the dash is nearer to the driver and it angles towards the driver as well. Honda had made this particularly made for the ease of the driver, and hence, there is no need for audio controls." I asked, but why did Honda give those controls in steering in other countries? replied "That is not the case, Sir"... I got very irritated, thrashed him to the point, he got embarrassed for what he said.. Not withstanding that incident, the salesman did manage to outsmart me, and manage to get the booking amount just after the test drive. lol

Last edited by iTNerd : 12th October 2009 at 21:03.
Old 12th October 2009, 22:46   #26
BHPian

Stunning Color ! Congrats on your purchase. Have fun !

Civic is my favorite too.

watch out for those badly laid speed breakers !

..Siva
Old 12th October 2009, 23:48   #27
BHPian

Thank you all for your wishes. Here are some quick pics.

I went on a drive to a place near 'Chennapattana' on Bangalore-Mysore road. The feeling was great, chilling A/C, nice weather, addicting smell of leather+plastic, excellent driving position and seat. It was a challenge to keep it under 2500rpm. In exaggerated terms, its actually a speedo not a tacho! However, I kept the speedo under 70kmph throughout. I did use cruise control whenever possible with utmost care and it was a lot of fun to let the car accelerate to the set speed. It feels like a rollercoaster ride. The fuel consumption indicator started showing quite good figures with a max of 16.4kmpl for some time. If carefully used on highways, fuel efficiency will be amazing I think. The position of cruise-cancel button is very convenient and can be cancelled easily. Overall it didnt feel unsafe to use it at all to me, as long as we maintain a safe distance.

I did glance the manual and it seems there are 2 more new features in the facelift.
> security system comes with ultrasonic sensor mostly positioned between the 2 map-reading lights near the rear view mirror.
> auto-reverse(a.k.a pinch protection) for the driver side power window.

I'll try and confirm later, as I cant roll down my windows now (got the sunfilms done).

@Ricky_63
It has driver seat adjustment (but not powered like in Altis GL/VL). Ride remains stiff (rather not very comfortable compared to Altis) like before. I didnt notice any major difference in ride quality compared to old Civic, except that when I go over some small bumps, the rear wheels seem to make little more/louder thud. But dont count on me so early, as I have not driven old civic much. This is purely based on my ~40km TD of old Civic and ~200km in mine. Infact, stiffened rear suspension in the new Civic can further spoil low-speed ride. So far I've not crossed 70kmph, but I felt the ride quality is good beyond 50 or so. I mean some rough patches are consumed well without noticeable 'thuds' into the cabin. But speeds upto 40 on such roads, give noticeable 'thuds'. I'm yet to check the tyre pressure;
lets see if this is playing the culprit to some extent. However, I think with Michelin MXV8/PLC it may be slightly better.

@vishalrao
Congrats. Its worth that wait. I did TD the manual as well. Gear shifts are awesome and driving is more involved. If possible, get the fogs; they are damn powerful and useful to watch out for bumps!

@bharti22shresth
Mine has Goodyear NCT5. I tried for exchange at the dealer, but finally dropped it due to warranty issues. VIN is linked to every single thing in the car, so its easy for Honda/dealer to void the warranty.

No mods at all.

@maglev
Final OTR is 16.1. 15k cash discount, ~17K discount for insurance (BA) and transparent floor mats free.

@m-hawk
I dared not to hit the breaks on a couple of bumps in the city (with 5 people sitting), no scraping. But I'm scared to try the same on bigger ones :-) During the TD of old Civic I did scrape 2 bumps (on Kanakapura road near Magnum Honda) and my new civic didn't on the same ones. So all I can tell now is that, rear suspension is surely stiffened, but I'm not sure about its new limits.

@iTNerd
Congrats. Yes, paddles work in D mode (works only in S-mode in old civic). From what I have observed so far, it works/engages beyond ~1200rpm in D mode. Another difference I noticed is that, when you try to shift up and if the rpm does not permit it, the number blinks a couple of times and then shows the current gear. IIRC, old civic does not do any blinking, it continues to display the current gear (no feedback). Civic owners, correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not the right person to talk about the quality of leather, as I haven't seen much. But I liked it a lot, its not soft and not too hard (but slightly hard). Leather in Altis is slightly softer than the Civic's and I felt they are slightly more comfortable. From my 3-day ownership experience, it does not get uncomfortable at all, when parked in sun for 2+ hours.

@ImmortalZ
Yes, I need to check the accuracy of the fuel consumption meter with tankful-to-tankful manual meter. Will do it from the next fill. Regarding the weight of the bonnet, I think it feels lighter also due to its smaller size compared to my Ikon's (which has a conventional bonnet compared to the V-shaped in Civic). However, Civic's sheet metal surely feels thin. I noticed it in the roof-line and the boot, while washing.

Yes, the steering feedback noticeably improves beyond 50kmph. It gets really good as speed increases (tested during the TD, yet to try in mine). BTW, how long is the run-in period ? Didnt see any specific limit (ODO as well as SPEEDO) in the manual.

@_raVan_
Altis:Civic::6:9 for interiors is mainly due to
> design of dash in Civic looked a killer to me, Altis' is quite conventional
> didnt like the wood-finish in Altis
> Steering mounted buttons felt cheap compared to cruize control buttons in civic
> overall plastic quality of Civic feels better
I can give upto 7 to Altis and reduce 0.5 for civic, due to the plastic panels near the quarter glass on either side of the dash.
This is just my opinion.

@Ramsagar
IIRC, the audio controls on the rear armrest were present since its lauch back in 2006.

@Caramelo
Yes, the leather+plastic combi smells great. So, no ambipur/perfume yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic 2009: 'Pure exhilaration' further improved-civic-050.jpg  

Honda Civic 2009: 'Pure exhilaration' further improved-dsc00290.jpg  

Honda Civic 2009: 'Pure exhilaration' further improved-civic-053.jpg  

Honda Civic 2009: 'Pure exhilaration' further improved-civic-054.jpg  

Honda Civic 2009: 'Pure exhilaration' further improved-civic-055.jpg  

Honda Civic 2009: 'Pure exhilaration' further improved-civic-057.jpg  

Honda Civic 2009: 'Pure exhilaration' further improved-civic-058.jpg  

Honda Civic 2009: 'Pure exhilaration' further improved-civic-062.jpg  

Honda Civic 2009: 'Pure exhilaration' further improved-civic-061.jpg  

Honda Civic 2009: 'Pure exhilaration' further improved-civic-065.jpg  

Old 13th October 2009, 00:04   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic pictures! The car is nice, but the pictures are awesome!
Old 13th October 2009, 00:42   #29
BHPian

Yes, very nice pics - the first one of the tacho is trippy (no pun intended)...
vishalrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2009, 09:57   #30
BHPian

you know what. the one good thing they added is the fuel eco. indicator. because now people can drive accordingly, with a lighter foot on the pedal. and thus fuel eco should improve and so would the driving technique. no more less mileage for the civic

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks