Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2009, 19:01   #46
BHPian

Woohoo, I just came to know that I have won an accessory package in Honda Fest! As per the contest, I should get
  • Illuminated Side Step Garnish
  • Back up Sensor
  • Door Visor with
  • Fog Lamps (in case of 'S' grade) or,
  • Trunk Spoiler (in case of 'V' grade)
I have not seen these accessories much. Do they look good ? (me skeptical about door visor). Does anyone know if I can get something else in place of door visor ?

Also, is the backup sensor from Honda itself or some other make?
Old 15th October 2009, 19:19   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc15 View Post
Woohoo, I just came to know that I have won an accessory package in Honda Fest! As per the contest, I should get
  • Illuminated Side Step Garnish
  • Back up Sensor
  • Door Visor with
  • Fog Lamps (in case of 'S' grade) or,
  • Trunk Spoiler (in case of 'V' grade)
I have not seen these accessories much. Do they look good ? (me skeptical about door visor). Does anyone know if I can get something else in place of door visor ?

Also, is the backup sensor from Honda itself or some other make?
Congratulations AGAIN! You were very closed to winning back your money.

Side step garnish looks good.. it has the blue illuminated CIVIC
Back up sensor is not Honda
Door Visor is real Honda accessory.. don't think you can exchange it with something else..
Trunk spolier - the one they have in their inspire package does not look good on Civic..but anyhow, if you like it, have it installed.
Old 15th October 2009, 19:55   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Congratulations AGAIN! You were very closed to winning back your money.

Side step garnish looks good.. it has the blue illuminated CIVIC
Back up sensor is not Honda
Door Visor is real Honda accessory.. don't think you can exchange it with something else..
Trunk spolier - the one they have in their inspire package does not look good on Civic..but anyhow, if you like it, have it installed.
Thanx dude. I also think the lip spoiler looks better than this one. Do you mean, the backup sensors are not originally by Honda but re-branded ? Or would it be like the ones from Xenos/Redsoul/etc...?
Old 15th October 2009, 20:19   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanx dude. I also think the lip spoiler looks better than this one.
The lip spoiler looks sleek when compared with the other one. The flip side to that is you do not have lights on this spoiler while the other one has it.

Check the pics below:
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic 2009: 'Pure exhilaration' further improved-new_civic_02.jpg  

Honda Civic 2009: 'Pure exhilaration' further improved-new_civic_05.jpg  

Old 16th October 2009, 15:32   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Woohoo, I just came to know that I have won an accessory package in Honda Fest!
haha congrats "manohar" ! you know where i saw your name...
Old 18th October 2009, 20:32   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalrao View Post
haha congrats "manohar" ! you know where i saw your name...
I knew people would do this I read about the backup sensors in the manual. They are from Honda indeed, but it does not have histogram display, so a bit archaic.
Old 18th October 2009, 20:41   #52
BHPian

i would say get the spoiler with the lights man. if possible its the one thing. which adds to the cool looking factor!
Old 18th October 2009, 21:14   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I knew people would do this I read about the backup sensors in the manual. They are from Honda indeed, but it does not have histogram display, so a bit archaic.
It must be the beeper only feature then.. the intensity of the beep increased when the obstruction get closer.. same as that of Cruze!

Have you collected the accessories that you won, from the dealer? Would love to see the car with the spolier! Post some pics when you have installed all of them!

Last edited by iTNerd : 18th October 2009 at 21:15.
Old 19th October 2009, 16:51   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
It must be the beeper only feature then.. the intensity of the beep increased when the obstruction get closer.. same as that of Cruze!

Have you collected the accessories that you won, from the dealer? Would love to see the car with the spolier! Post some pics when you have installed all of them!
Yes its a beeper-only thingy. I'm yet to receive a letter from Honda. I need to take that letter to the dealer and get them installed. Will post the pics once I get them.

BTW I have seen just a handful of civics with rear spoiler in Bangalore. So I'm not sure if its functional and how it looks. I might ask Honda for something else, if possible. Maybe a spare key-with-remote or a disc changer or a spare alloy.
Old 19th October 2009, 20:46   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
> security system comes with ultrasonic sensor mostly positioned between the 2 map-reading lights near the rear view mirror.
> auto-reverse(a.k.a pinch protection) for the driver side power window.
Are you sure about the first one? I ask cuz there are sections in the manual for the Australian Civic as well, which comes with the ultrasonic sensors. My car's manual has the same diagrams.

Auto reverse has been present too. I still remember the sales guy demonstrating it to me when we went to check the car out the first time.

Quote:
Final OTR is 16.1. 15k cash discount, ~17K discount for insurance (BA) and transparent floor mats free.
Yikes, that's nearly 2L more than what I paid. Karnataka road taxes are just plain daylight robbery. :(

Quote:
Congrats. Yes, paddles work in D mode (works only in S-mode in old civic). From what I have observed so far, it works/engages beyond ~1200rpm in D mode. Another difference I noticed is that, when you try to shift up and if the rpm does not permit it, the number blinks a couple of times and then shows the current gear. IIRC, old civic does not do any blinking, it continues to display the current gear (no feedback). Civic owners, correct me if I'm wrong.
The blinking feature is present in the old car as well. And it's not just for show. Say you want to downshift as soon as you brake for a corner. You tap the downshift, but you're going too fast for the lower gear and the number starts flashing. However, if your car slows down enough while the number is blinking, the 'box will downshift at that moment.

Worked right, it adds a bit more fun to the drive.

Quote:
Yes, I need to check the accuracy of the fuel consumption meter with tankful-to-tankful manual meter. Will do it from the next fill. Regarding the weight of the bonnet, I think it feels lighter also due to its smaller size compared to my Ikon's (which has a conventional bonnet compared to the V-shaped in Civic). However, Civic's sheet metal surely feels thin. I noticed it in the roof-line and the boot, while washing.

Yes, the steering feedback noticeably improves beyond 50kmph. It gets really good as speed increases (tested during the TD, yet to try in mine). BTW, how long is the run-in period ? Didnt see any specific limit (ODO as well as SPEEDO) in the manual.
The sheet metal is very, very thin indeed. I have two very shallow deformities on the roof where monkeys landed from quite a height during my trip to Kodai.

I ran it in by keeping below 2500RPM till 1000KM and then gradually taking it up the rev range until 2500KM. Of course, me being me and the car being what it is, there were periods of insanity mixed in.

There is a 1000KM run in period mentioned in the manual.

Quote:
2. IIRC, Honda stopped giving spare alloy sometime in 2008. BTW this is OK IMO, as many cars (D, D+ including) do not come with spare alloys. Ofcourse Altis has it! (have seen in GL/VL models)
My October 2008 V A/T has an alloy spare wheel.

Re: your accessory gift hamper, first off, congrats. I'd take the trunk spoiler. I didn't like it much, but somehow it looks better with the new tail lamps. The door visors are a strict no-no for me because it adds too much ricer into the mix.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 19th October 2009 at 20:51.
Old 19th October 2009, 21:35   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Are you sure about the first one? I ask cuz there are sections in the manual for the Australian Civic as well, which comes with the ultrasonic sensors. My car's manual has the same diagrams.
Yes, it says "(For some types)". There is a small vent near the courtesy light between the front map-lights. Initially I thought it has the sensors. I tried it too to realize that they are *not* sensors.

Quote:
Auto reverse has been present too. I still remember the sales guy demonstrating it to me when we went to check the car out the first time.
Oh OK. I thought this is a new feature.

Quote:
Yikes, that's nearly 2L more than what I paid. Karnataka road taxes are just plain daylight robbery. :(
Yes, road-tax is too high, more so for the quality of roads

Quote:
The blinking feature is present in the old car as well. And it's not just for show. Say you want to downshift as soon as you brake for a corner. You tap the downshift, but you're going too fast for the lower gear and the number starts flashing. However, if your car slows down enough while the number is blinking, the 'box will downshift at that moment.
Oh really, I probably didn't notice during my TD. In the new civic, it blinks only in D mode. In 'S', it does *not* I think. Let me reconfirm this tomorrow.

Quote:
My October 2008 V A/T has an alloy spare wheel.
I remember the dealer telling me "from next batch, the spare alloy will be gone". It was sometime in 2008, but not sure when.

Quote:
Re: your accessory gift hamper, first off, congrats. I'd take the trunk spoiler. I didn't like it much, but somehow it looks better with the new tail lamps. The door visors are a strict no-no for me because it adds too much ricer into the mix.
Thanx. Yes, I have already said a big NO to door visors. But I'm in dual mind for the spoiler.

Me planning to get the car serviced from another dealer. Would this cause any issue ? (related to warranty and things like that) Mine will be ready for 1st service in 2 weeks.
Old 21st October 2009, 23:44   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Oh really, I probably didn't notice during my TD. In the new civic, it blinks only in D mode. In 'S', it does *not* I think. Let me reconfirm this tomorrow.
Are you sure about the blinking feature. I checked in mine, it does not blink in 'S' mode, but it does so in 'D' mode. It blinks a few times (seems like 3-4 times) in 'D' mode and no visual feedback in 'S' mode, if the shift is not allowed.
Old 21st October 2009, 23:45   #58
BHPian

I noticed a minor issue with the audio. When I've a USB 1.1 pen-drive connected to the USB, upon every engine off->on, it display 'USB Load' and then 'Unsupported version'. When I disconnect and connect it back, it's all fine. With a USB 2.0 pen-drive, there is no issue.
Old 24th October 2009, 04:32   #59
BHPian

Congratz on the purchase mkc15, the car looks simply awesome!

Im planning on buying either the altis or the civic before jan and wanted to know what you thought of the sheer driving performance of the Civic vs the Altis?

[Im not at all happy with the space inside the cruze...the Civic is a much better can IMO]
Old 24th October 2009, 10:56   #60
BHPian

@mkc15, itnerd, immortalz (and any other civic owners): How accurate are the odometer and speedometer? I think I only read somewhere that the speedo shows a little higher readings. I hope the odo is not too bad giving inflated mileage figures

@mkc15: did you get the reverse/parking sensor fitted yet? how is the operation? since i got zilch in the lucky draw (never won anything by luck in my life!) am thinking about fitting it if the reviews are good...

@thegman: you'll get differing views from different people on whether the altis or civic is better so you simply must test drive both (preferably back to back on the same day) and make your own judgement.

Most Viewed