Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2009, 18:48   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc15 View Post
I got the insurance from BA at 24K for a V-AT (~42k as per price list).
24K vs. 42K ! Look at the difference in rates. Looks like this is another way of milking the customers by the dealers.

The insurance quote given for my uncle's new Innova by the dealer was 40K while we humbly turned down the offer and took it from National Insurance which worked out to only 30.5K.

Caveat Emptor !
Old 21st October 2009, 19:33   #32
BHPian

I do get "USB Load" then it moves on to displaying Folder name, then file name then the ID3 tag's track name. No "Unsupported Version" message for me. Could it be either due to non-USB 2.0 pen drive or perhaps your MP3s have different ID3 (ID2?) tags? Let us know your results with different drive and/or MP3s... I get "NO INFO" for some MP3s and for some others I get dots "......." in the display. Most of them show the right info though.

I got fabric floor mats as standard and yes I too will replace with rubber because my footwear (heel) gets jammed operating the clutch and I have to lift my foot often.

No freebies for me and I took the standard insurance by BA @ about 40k - just too impatient I guess - even though I'd read on tbhp beforehand that you can save a chunk by negotiating insurance.

edit: few more pics from my visit to uncle/cousins' place on Monday when they drove it:

(aerial snap taken from the 4th floor with 5x optical zoom)
Attached Thumbnails
It Drives Me: Oct 2009 Silver Honda Civic 1.8 S-dsc00115.jpg  

It Drives Me: Oct 2009 Silver Honda Civic 1.8 S-dsc00116.jpg  

It Drives Me: Oct 2009 Silver Honda Civic 1.8 S-dsc00117.jpg  

Last edited by vishalrao : 21st October 2009 at 19:42.
Old 21st October 2009, 19:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc15 View Post
Yes, Honda is very generous . All Civics come with fabric floor mats. In addition, I got transparent (plastic/rubber) floor mats for free, after a log of haggling. IMO, plastic/rubber mats are quite necessary.
Thanks. After much haggling, they offered me cushions and car cover. I will also ask for rubber mats

Quote:
I heard from the dealer that Honda will have its own insurace in a couple of weeks. Looks like they are on already.
Yes, they told me the same thing.. that is, from now onwards, every buyer needs to take Honda's own insurance (which consists of only 4 insurance companies).. but I was ready to walk away for Cruze when they insisted to take their insurance..but they finally relented! (Cruze effect!)

Quote:
Also, make sure the insurance quote does say ZERO for 'Voluntary excess'.
What does 'Voluntary Excess' means?
Old 21st October 2009, 23:56   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
What does 'Voluntary Excess' means?
This is a way to reduce premium. IIRC for every ~Rs.1000 reduction in premium, the owner has to bear some % or a lump sum of claim, if any. For example, if the claim is Rs.10k and the voluntary excess declared is 1K (annual premium reduced by 1k), the owner has to bear say 3k and the remaining 7k will be borne by the insurance. For actual figures and computation talk to the insurance guy, as I dont remember. The BA agent told me all of this when I said I have a better quote from Reliance!
Old 21st October 2009, 23:58   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalrao View Post
I do get "USB Load" then it moves on to displaying Folder name, then file name then the ID3 tag's track name. No "Unsupported Version" message for me. Could it be either due to non-USB 2.0 pen drive or perhaps your MP3s have different ID3 (ID2?) tags? Let us know your results with different drive and/or MP3s... I get "NO INFO" for some MP3s and for some others I get dots "......." in the display. Most of them show the right info though.
BTW, my old pen-drive is USB 1.1. I tried one with USB 2.0 and there is no issue. However the old one works fine when reconnected, so there is some (minor) issue with the HU to recognize USB 1.1 during boot-up.
Old 24th October 2009, 11:20   #36
BHPian

Yup, good to know. Not a major hassle I guess.

Some mileage/fuel efficiency (FE) figures:

Filled up on Tuesday morning and drove to/from work for four days in office time traffic. Pune does have lots of traffic but I wouldn't call it bumper-to-bumper (B2B) - it is slow but steady. Maintained mostly 2000 rpm (plus or minus 500) in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears occasionally gently going to 3000 rpm during starts or overtaking. Ran the A/C on 25/Auto about half the time but that wouldn't make much difference in current cool climate. The digital FE meter hovered around 11.3 during the first two days (2000 rpm) then climbed to 11.9 when I stayed mostly at 1500 rpm. First fill odometer reading was 147 and today's reading was 219 when full tank took 5.87 litres (nozzle click to nozzle click) with the trip meter showing 71.6 km. That's about 12.2 kmpl for Pune city driving during office rush hour traffic. Digital meter readout showed 11.7 kmpl. During the Diwali weekend when I mostly drove briskly in less traffic the readout was about 14 kmpl but didnt check actual numbers that time.

Next mileage check will be between first and second service when I plan to combine weekday/weekend/gentle/brisk in-city driving. Will only go on highways (Mumbai/Lonavala/Mahabaleshwar or even Hyderabad perhaps) after the 1000 km engine break-in is completed. Then maybe again during peak summer months.

And a few more random pics:
Attached Thumbnails
It Drives Me: Oct 2009 Silver Honda Civic 1.8 S-dsc00118.jpg  

It Drives Me: Oct 2009 Silver Honda Civic 1.8 S-dsc00119.jpg  

It Drives Me: Oct 2009 Silver Honda Civic 1.8 S-dsc00208.jpg  

It Drives Me: Oct 2009 Silver Honda Civic 1.8 S-dsc00209.jpg  

It Drives Me: Oct 2009 Silver Honda Civic 1.8 S-dsc00210.jpg  

It Drives Me: Oct 2009 Silver Honda Civic 1.8 S-dsc00211.jpg  

It Drives Me: Oct 2009 Silver Honda Civic 1.8 S-dsc00212.jpg  

It Drives Me: Oct 2009 Silver Honda Civic 1.8 S-dsc00213.jpg  

Old 24th October 2009, 12:13   #37
Senior - BHPian

@vishal: The FE average figures look impressive (both by the digital odo figures and by manual computing). I am sure it will improve further post break-in and the first service. If this fantastic car returns 11 - 12 KMPL consistently in city traffic with A/C on all the time, one cannot ask for anything more.

Congrats once again ! Please do keep us updating on her performance and FE figures regularly. Thanks mate !
Old 24th October 2009, 19:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

FE is impressive for a 1.8 petrol engine.. Not suprising because my 1.6 SX4 (with 1200 kgs, same as Civic MT) delivers 11-12 kmpl.. It is only when you revv hard (on 1.8) pass 4000 rpm, that its a gas guzler, but who cares.. the exhilaration and the sweet i-VTEC node is all worth it!

The new front look is a welcome change after 3 years of the 8th gen Civic.. would look even better if they had given the mesh grill in the lower radiator's intake panel..
Old 24th October 2009, 21:01   #39
BHPian

Do I already see a mesh grill look on the lower front below the number plate and also the fog lamp area? Third and fourth-last pics in the previous post above...

Last edited by vishalrao : 24th October 2009 at 21:03. Reason: added fog lamp area
Old 24th October 2009, 21:32   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do I already see a mesh grill look on the lower front below the number plate and also the fog lamp area? Third and fourth-last pics in the previous post above...
bro, refer to this pic below
Name:  mesh.png
Views: 2028
Size:  128.2 KB

Last edited by iTNerd : 24th October 2009 at 21:36.
Old 24th October 2009, 21:56   #41
BHPian

Happy to oblige, just took this pic a few min ago. Fog lamp area has a grill look but not the lower radiator - at least the radiator itself lends a bit of that look But now I'm worried a small stone at high speed can damage the thing causing overheating/engine damage or perhaps just A/C cooling failure (gas leak like what happened with my palio) depending on whether that is really the radiator or the A/C condenser...
Attached Thumbnails
It Drives Me: Oct 2009 Silver Honda Civic 1.8 S-dsc00214.jpg  

Last edited by vishalrao : 24th October 2009 at 21:57.
Old 25th October 2009, 06:43   #42
BHPian

Thanks for the great pics....im using the last one as my desktop wallpaper btw!
Please post some more!!!

Im td'ing the car in a few weeks. Already td'd the Altis last week....performance was kinda 'meh..', how is the civic in comparison [considering that you've driven both]?

Is it just me or does the refreshed civic look way sexier from the front? [i never liked the smiley face on the old one...the bumper just looks so much more taught and defined now]

Any issues with it bottoming out on the pune roads yet?
Old 25th October 2009, 08:38   #43
BHPian

Hey Vishal,

Your Civic looks haute man. Nice colour and the new design is pretty striking when given a close eye. The new rear lights remind me of the new Chevy Camaro(Transformers as you would like it) when lit and the old ones were like the Skyline R34(afterburner style). Any plans for a Mugen kit? Would be unique though on a silver car
Old 25th October 2009, 10:37   #44
BHPian

Thanks guys. Nope, no plans for kits/mods for the foreseeable future

@thegman: You really want more pics? I thought I (and others) had "covered all angles" by now haha. I'll be glad to take more pics, especially if you have special requests for any angles/views...

Civic IMO looks more sporty/aggresive and drives/handles way better than the Altis which I think is more of a family or "family man's" car I'd blogged about my TD here: It Drives Me. | veracity

Yes, the front is refreshed (grill shape etc, smoky headlamps) I guess you will know if you get a hold of a pic of the old one side by side...

No issues with bottoming out in Pune til now and I drive quickly/alertly (and not rash) so you'll be fine if you do the same...
Old 26th October 2009, 09:51   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Civic IMO looks more sporty/aggresive and drives/handles way better than the Altis which I think is more of a family or "family man's" car I'd blogged about my TD here: It Drives Me. | veracity
Dude, loved the blog post. Yes, i found the accelerator pedal of the Altis way too light too. And with my nikes on, it was like there was nothing under my right leg. Kinda scary! I noticed a similar issue with the old Corolla. The steering also felt too electric[very volvo 'ish]. I cant wait to drive the Civic after reading all your inputs.

If you dont mind me asking, how much did it work out to OTR? Any idea what the V-MT OTR cost is [ill be buying it in pune too] ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks