Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2009, 20:26   #46
BHPian

@ABZ: Congrats on your new buy, Welcome to the club. On your sunfilm question, RTO approved sunfilms are
Windows - 50% visibility, Rear & Front - 70% visibility.

But i had still gone for RE 35 in Rear & Side and CR 70 for Front. You will not be able to differentiate if it is 50% visibility or 35% as the difference would be too less.

For a black car reflective sunfilm may not look good, you can look at CS30 or CS50 which would have a black color and also has some good heat rejection capabilities. RE & CS cost the same as they come under premium brands.
Old 30th October 2009, 20:40   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABZ View Post
Thanks kumar7. To answer some of your questions.

Brand: 3M / Llumar
Shade: I think darker would look better given the color of the car - Black.
Metallic/Non-metallic: Assuming that the metallic mean a more mirror-like effect?
Warranty: Anything around 3 years should be fine.
Price: 10K (max)
Yes metallic films slightly look like a mirror and have shine when you look it from certain distance.

As you looking for dark films then focus on Llumar & you need to stretch you budget a bit.

Llumar may have 3 years warranty but I heard someone saying it has one year warranty. (You better check with dealer )
Old 31st October 2009, 17:18   #48
ABZ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
@ABZ: Congrats on your new buy, Welcome to the club. On your sunfilm question, RTO approved sunfilms are

But i had still gone for RE 35 in Rear & Side and CR 70 for Front. You will not be able to differentiate if it is 50% visibility or 35% as the difference would be too less.

For a black car reflective sunfilm may not look good, you can look at CS30 or CS50 which would have a black color and also has some good heat rejection capabilities. RE & CS cost the same as they come under premium brands.
Thanks Moonraker. Was kind of feeling the same regarding metallic finish on a black car. Good to know about the CS series.

Shall keep throwing 'RE' and 'CS' references to show that I'm well-informed
Old 31st October 2009, 21:10   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post

Dear Moonraker,

This is just for your information. but the RTO's have an equipment which can test the approval levels.

Are you trying to tell that law breaking to an extent is FINE and also recommend the same to the guys here in the forum.

i am shell shocked by this.
Old 1st November 2009, 00:11   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Dear Moonraker,

This is just for your information. but the RTO's have an equipment which can test the approval levels.

Are you trying to tell that law breaking to an extent is FINE and also recommend the same to the guys here in the forum.

i am shell shocked by this.
Nandans , i dont think moon raker was trying to imply that. He just said that there is very little difference between the two and he has used latter one .

breaking law is an offense but you may bend it a little and get away. Everybody does, i would like to believe every now and then , here and there.

But again i am not recommending it , just a thought.
Old 1st November 2009, 09:28   #51
Senior - BHPian

Most of the shops may have a certificate from RTO, certifying which sun film (make/quality) is approved by RTO. I am not sure if this is available with all shops, but the rule is that the shops should keep this document so as not to fool the customers. (for my last car, the shop fellow shown me a list like this with RTO seal underneath?)
Thanks
Old 1st November 2009, 10:47   #52
DipantS

I would recommend you to go for CS 35 Side + Back as CS 50 is kind of see through and not that effective under direct sun light and CR 70 for the windscreen. I guess it would fit your budget too.
I am planning to replace CS 50 on my S with CR 40 soon.

Last edited by Eddy : 1st November 2009 at 10:50. Reason: Please remove formatting tags or do not copy paste from an external editor. Thanks

Old 1st November 2009, 22:40   #53
ABZ
BHPian

@kumar7 - I did go to lane 4 koregaon park today but did not find any shop there - just houses of the rich and the famous . Are you sure that is the lane number in KP?

@nairrk and dipant - thanks, will keep it in mind before finalizing the film. I think I'll take my time on this - no hurry now with the winter starting to set itself in Pune.
Old 1st November 2009, 23:12   #54
BHPian

I found 3M supervisor number which I PMed you. Call him tomorrow and check where exactly they have office.

I remember that the 3M people said they don't have any hording so you need to inquire so that may be reason you not able to locate there office.
Old 2nd November 2009, 13:49   #55
ABZ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar7 View Post
I found 3M supervisor number which I PMed you. Call him tomorrow and check where exactly they have office.

I remember that the 3M people said they don't have any hording so you need to inquire so that may be reason you not able to locate there office.
Hi kumar7,

I called the number - surprisingly it was a person whom I had spoken to just before taking the delivery of the car through another person. He is a dealer and situated on Nagar road (Darshan Tyres). It seems 3M has stopped manufacturing the CS series so it is between SP, RE (reflective) and CR (costly) if 3M. I did check the RE 35 which the dealer had on his car and they definitely looked on the lighter side.

What I also noticed was that the CR70 on the front window had atleast 4 '3M' prints across the length of the window at almost center of the screen - I found that a bit odd. Is this common to other films as well?
Old 2nd November 2009, 16:57   #56
BHPian

If 3M then it has to be either SR or RE series

Please go only for 3M CR or RE series, after reading a lot for sunfilm threads I have decided that my next car will have a combo of CR70 (windshield) + RE50 (Side and Rear). Snap shot from the famous sunfilm excel file version 2 of Team-BHP sunfilm threads.
Attached Thumbnails
WHOAAA!! Went Fida - Ford Fiesta 1.6S Panther Black-3mcrre.jpg  

Old 2nd November 2009, 19:42   #57
ABZ
BHPian

@ TheBeastFieas: Hey that seems to be a great excel to get a hold of. Can you point me to the thread where I can get the same - I did search but could not find it. Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd November 2009, 20:06   #58
BHPian

Quote:
What I also noticed was that the CR70 on the front window had atleast 4 '3M' prints across the length of the window at almost center of the screen - I found that a bit odd. Is this common to other films as well?
I think this guy is directly dealing with 3M and he using Darshan shop to sell other accessories. Rajeshvin did front filming from him only & he is happy with his work. If you decide to go for 3M then first see if you can negotiate with him for CR70 below 6200/- if not then Rajesh reference (with Rajesh's due permission ofcourse ) can be given because if you give reference upfront then rest assured that he will quote you 6200/-.

You are right 3M print comes in between & it could be annoying as it may distract you while driving. On side glass it does not matters but on front windshield it should not come anywhere. The sheet is lengthy so tell them in advance that you don't want that logo anywhere on windshield else don't go for it. I have not applied film on windshield just because it may reflect from inside so for time being am not putting it on front glass. Its better to invest same amount in branded sunglass

Last edited by kumar7 : 2nd November 2009 at 20:09.
Old 2nd November 2009, 22:18   #59
BHPian

Quote:
@ TheBeastFieas: Hey that seems to be a great excel to get a hold of. Can you point me to the thread where I can get the same - I did search but could not find it. Thanks in advance.
Even I could search it back, .

But I had saved it everytime and now I have got 4 versions of it,

Attaching the version 4 here,
Attached Files
File Type: xls sunfilms comparison v4.xls (128.5 KB, 393 views)
Old 3rd November 2009, 01:33   #60
ABZ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post
Even I could search it back, .

But I had saved it everytime and now I have got 4 versions of it,

Attaching the version 4 here,
Thanks Buddy. Actually, I was able to find the v2 after posting my earlier message but good that I did ask for assistance - I now have v4

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks