Team-BHP - GTX and CRUZE comparison.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   GTX and CRUZE comparison. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/67937-gtx-cruze-comparison.html)

I was waiting for a test drive of the Cruze so that I could make up my mind to sell off the GTX and book the Cruze. Finally yesterday got hold of the test drive car in the afternoon. I have booked the car and asked for January delivery to which they agreed. Booking amount was Rs50000/-.

I specifically wanted to compare it to my present car the GTX.
As mentioned in the other post about Cruze I bogged the car the first time I released the clutch in 1st gear even after the issue was in the back of my head. It needs a very gradual release of the clutch and a mild dab of the throttle as torque is severely lacking in the lower rpm's.

Did the stop start thing with the switch and got the engine back to life and this time no problems but got to admit there is less torque below 1100rpm even when compared to my Junkindica and thats saying something. Nothing happened on pressing the accelerator till 1900rpm which means city driving will be a pain and turbo life will be exemplary if keeping to sedate speeds as the turbo would be just idling below 1900rpm.
There is a whoosh after 2000rpm and the acceleration is superb. This is one fact thats going to spoil owners a lot. Engine is very silent for a diesel but coarse/gritty after 3500rpm. I do not mind the lumpy sound of diesel knock but detest any gritty noise.

Went through a rough patch of potholed and gravel laden road and thankfully the suspension was not too pliant. I absolutely hate soft suspension setup. With the setup in the Cruze you do know the make up of the road and how far you can flog the tires. Thank GM for that. The tires should have been 225/60R16 but have to make do with the JK's for 30000km which is what I expect the front tire life to be without rotation.

Steering feel is acceptable. Brakes are over servoed and I hope to reduce the assistance if thats possible after I get the car. A slight dab of the brake pedal retards the car greatly but I fear there are going to be many Cruze cars with their rear bumpers caved in. Its real good as a highway car even when fully loaded. After the 3 to 4 km test drive I thanked the salesman and gave him the cheque and booked the car.
Got back into my faultless GTX and drove back home and thats when it hit me hard. Hard and I mean real hard.

The heading of the topic was a comparison with my present car with my car of the future which costs more than two and half times. Well let me tell you other than snob value, acceleration after 2000rpm and the exemplary ABS brakes the Cruze is trounced by the GTX in every department in the mechanical aspect including cooling by the AC.

I am not joking when I say that with the GTX the driver and the car merge into one like a humanoid and the car does things as if connected directly to neurons in the brain. Ravveendra feels the same way about both his cars the GTX and the Laura which costs three times as much. The Laura is great for snob value but for sheer driving pleasure its the GTX all the way.

I will have the Cruze in January 2010 and will sell of the GTX shortly as I cannot afford to have two cars for the highway and there is no parking space for more than three cars in our garage.
I await delivery of my new car but I wonder whether I am really upgrading or just spending hard earned cash to satisfy my employers ego. The employer absolutely detests me coming in a Palio as all those who work under me come in swanky cars. Little does he know about the GTX and what it means to the driver in me.

I will rue the day when I :Frustratisell of the GTX knowing fully well that an extension of my body is being sold off to another lucky customer.

I can sync with what you say regarding the connection part Doc. GTX is a car which you never want to get rid off.

Congrats on the Cruze booking.

Just curious. Why don't you sell the Indica and retain GTX?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JVH (Post 1544108)
Just curious. Why don't you sell the Indica and retain GTX?

I have an ongoing consumer court case with my Junkindica which requires me to keep the Junkindica for another 5 years. Moreover for Cochin city and errant taxi,auto and bus drivers the Indica is the best option after the Premier Padmini. In a Padmini you are the king of city driving as every single vehicle including tipper lorries were courteous to me when I had the Pads. The next best option is the Indica.

I would be dead against you selling your GTX. Anyways its your call. I completely agree with you on the snob value factor though.

OT. How much has your GTX done?

I say park your junk out on the street :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by beejay (Post 1544149)
OT. How much has your GTX done?

The GTX has done 65048km without visiting the authorized service center for routine service even once. I still have the free service coupons with me. I do the service and fluid change(including coolant, power steering, transmission and brake fluid) myself with help from my wife on the cars birthday. Engine oil is changed every 5000km. It came into my family on 27th July 2003.

The irony is that this high mileage car felt better to drive than the Cruze by a fair margin.

Dr.Sunil, congrats on your Chevy Cruze booking!

Quote:

Originally Posted by drpullockaran (Post 1544178)
The GTX has done 65048km without visiting the authorized service center for routine service even once. I still have the free service coupons with me. I do the service and fluid change(including coolant, power steering, transmission and brake fluid) myself with help from my wife on the cars birthday. Engine oil is changed every 5000km. It came into my family on 27th July 2003.

The irony is that this high mileage car felt better to drive than the Cruze by a fair margin.

More like an integral part of the family.:)

There is no arguing on thoughts regarding the pleasure derived on driving a GTX. Please see if you can work on other ways to retain this car.

Anyways, wish you luck on your purchase. Reviews on the Cruze have been quite good and I am waiting to get a TD soon.

I think there was mention of poor space on rear seating. However with the Cruze it would be more driving than being driven, right.

Hi Doc,

Congratulations and commiserations are both due. Congratulations on your booking. I feel your pain when you say you are forced to sell the GTX.

OTT: 1. Park your Indica in the college. If they think the Indica is not up-market enough - park the Cruze there!

2. Park the Indica at a friend/colleague's place. I am sure some of our friends who live near you have a wee bit of space where the Indica can be dumped. Also ask your lawyer if it is absolutely necessary for you to keep the Indica till its resale value is reduced to its scrap value.

3. Ask your employer to increase your HRA as you now need a house with a bigger garage in which to park their egos.

The GTX is a fabulous car to drive, no other car comes close. Not the bigger cars, not the faster cars, nothing. Thanks for remembering my comment in the PUG about how the car and driver become one in the GTX and how even though I have driven the GTX for only 5K km, I am more comfortable driving it compared to driving my Laura in which I have driven 27K Km, though driving the Laura is less fatiguing and the creature comforts are out of this world. OT.: I was sorely tempted to take the GTX for a really long road trip only because it is more fun to drive, then sanity prevailed and I have decided to take the Laura for the reason that one arrives at the destination less fatigued.

If you decide to go through with the sale of your GTX, (I certainly hope and pray that you do not) please let us know.

Cheers,

Quote:

Originally Posted by drpullockaran (Post 1544178)

I dont see the comparison between the GTX (being a petrol) and Cruze (being a diesel) with its turbo lag in lower rpms . could be the turbo lag is influencing your opinion thats probably the reason why you feel the GTX is better car to drive than the GTX. What matters most is to judge the cruze on where it is meant to deliver and thats above 2000rpm and evaluate if the handling/behaviour compared to the power it unleashes . Will need to look in terms of its road hugging capablities at higher speeds, handling understeer/oversteer, steering feedback, the suspension setup, and overall how safe and pleasurable it is to drive this car. I havent driven the GTX or the cruze so i might be entirely wrong but its Just my opinion. What is it that you find specifically in the GTX that makes driving more pleasureable, is it quick response that you get from the engine, then there seems to be no point comparing this against the diesel for that matter any other diesel. Please correct me if i am wrong here

@drpullockaran: Your views on the GTX v/s Cruze don't surprise me at all, but I doubt if they would be understood by those who have not lived with it for any length of time.

The kind of jimba-itai feeling that the GTX gives you can be matched by few 'normal' cars. God knows what FIAT built into the damn machine that it smothers the driver's senses like this. And that too in a low-cost 3rd world car!

@drpullockaran: you don't sound too happy with the purchase.

I think the Laura TSI could be a spiritual successor to the GTX. Much faster. Better built. Or if you're scared of the A.S.S., maybe a Corolla/Civic/Cedia?

Why live with the lag?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rotorhead (Post 1544302)
I dont see the comparison between the GTX (being a petrol) and Cruze (being a diesel) with its turbo lag in lower rpms . could be the turbo lag is influencing your opinion thats probably the reason why you feel the GTX is better car to drive than the GTX. What matters most is to judge the cruze on where it is meant to deliver and thats above 2000rpm and evaluate if the handling/behaviour compared to the power it unleashes . Will need to look in terms of its road hugging capablities at higher speeds, handling understeer/oversteer, steering feedback, the suspension setup, and overall how safe and pleasurable it is to drive this car. I havent driven the GTX or the cruze so i might be entirely wrong but its Just my opinion. What is it that you find specifically in the GTX that makes driving more pleasureable, is it quick response that you get from the engine, then there seems to be no point comparing this against the diesel for that matter any other diesel. Please correct me if i am wrong here

Hi Rotor,

Forgive me for butting in and fielding your query. Below is an extract of what I had written last week when Doc had first shared the possibility of selling his GTX.

"The 1.6 is one of those rare breed of cars which are quirky and lovable. Like the good horses of yore the 1.6 becomes an extension of the driver and the communication is almost automatic & telepathic. I find driving the GTX more effortless and it comes automatically though I have barely driven it some 3000 km while I have driven my Laura some 27000 km. And trust me though the Laura is a fantastic car, the driver and the Laura do not become ‘one’."

Last month (Septemeber 2009) I had written in response to a new owner of a GTX expressed pleasant surprise at how the car behaved and ashtonishment at its thirst.

"Welcome to the joys of the Palio 1.6!

I too bought my GTX in April 2009 and it had 61K Km on the odo when I got it. I initially thought I would use it for weekend fun drives, however the car is so addictive that I am using the GTX all the time and neglecting my other car!

One thing I noticed right away with the GTX is that 3 needles in the instrument panel move very fast i.e. the Tacho (extremely fast) the speedo (fast) and the fuel gauge (blinding speed!) lol that is the nature of the beast.

The road grip and handling of the GTX on highways/expressways is exemplary. On a twisting two lane road – nothing can beat the GTX. Forget beating the GTX, no other car comes close. This is because of the superlative handling of the GTX on curves, bends etc. which translates into much higher overall speeds than a car that merely accelerates well. No other car relishes being flicked into a corner as much as a Palio, a Palio is such a forgiving car that it lets you make quick mid-course corrections even in a curve and will do those little jigs on the road to avoid stones/pot holes without missing a beat.

Drive the GTX around 2500 and 3000 rpm and she will return about 12 kmpl (if not more) while maintaining 90 to 120 kmph speeds. Drive it in its power band of 4200 to 5500 rpm and she will fly at over 140 kmph and it will feel like it is doing 100.The FE of course will be some 8 to 9 kmpl. One thing that is total ‘paisa vasool’ is the engine noise and exhaust note. Gun the engine above 3500 rpm and let those Italian Opera singers out – the car sounds like a thoroughbred race car (a mini-Ferrari as a friend put it) and that menacing growl/shriek/howl can be heard even by guys with their windows up, A/c. on and ICE on full blast – heard clearly enough for them to quickly get out of your way. I rarely have to use my horn on the highways, I just shift down and start accelerating – buses, lorries and cars quickly make way for the GTX that sounds so obviously faaaaaast.

Beyond the speed, the handling and the engine note – the Palio’s one outstanding quality is its almost telepathic ability to anticipate and do exactly what the driver wants. Driving it is instinctive - it is almost as if, you have to think it or wish it and the car does it. This is what makes it such a great drivers car."

Check my TD & intital ownership thread here on TBHP and you will see how I blew away a 'wonder car' on a deep curve.

And that Sir, is only the beggining of the story. Is it any wonder then that enthusiasts who own one of these are more than willing to forgive Fiat for poor A.S.S. stupid dealers, poor spare supply etc?

Cheers,

Quote:

Originally Posted by d_himan (Post 1544340)
@drpullockaran: you don't sound too happy with the purchase.

I think the Laura TSI could be a spiritual successor to the GTX. Much faster. Better built. Or if you're scared of the A.S.S., maybe a Corolla/Civic/Cedia?

Why live with the lag?

For the fresh, new world car and VFM factors, that Cruze provides.

I can perfectly relate to this Doc, even though I have the 1.2 and it cant be expressed in words, it can only be 'felt'. For the record I have never felt it in any other car I drove, Punto though came a close second! :P
I call it the automotive emotional quotient and the Palio hits where it hurts the most.