Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2009, 19:00   #61
BHPian

A great review GTO...fresh looks may works for E350 but I feel BMW 5 series is better looking.
Old 26th October 2009, 19:28   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post

Pls confirm me the dial i.e in the pic marked in red.Is it a analog clock in speedometer.

I read push to open & push close fuel cap.won't it easy to steel the fuel.
That is indeed the clock brother.

Beautiful review there GTO, altough I would like to ask you the same question as Ramsagar here, won't the push system on the fuel cap allow fuel to be stolen easily??

And also an off topic question, but do you have any idea as to when the face lifted S-Class with LED's be made available?

Last edited by funkydevil : 26th October 2009 at 19:29.
Old 26th October 2009, 21:59   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

NOTE on tyres : The OEM Continental ContiSportContact 3 tyres make quite the noise on a concrete expressway. On tar roads, they are whisper silent, but at 150 kph on a concrete expressway, the tyre noise is significant. In fact, it’s the only sound when cruising at that speed. Lesser for the rear passengers than the driver, but still VERY annoying! Get back to tar road and the tyre noise is ZERO. Why? Tyre experts? Another brand of tyres could definitely solve this (The Michelin PP2s on my C220 are silent all throughout).
Excessive tire noise is mostly because the natural frequency of the body is resonating with the frequency of the tire thread pattern on a particular road surface at a particular speed.
In this case, clearly Merc has not tested the car on Indian roads (GQ?). Tire change is the quick and easy fix.

Nissan had a similar problem with the 350Z when it was first launched (LA freeway hop)
Old 26th October 2009, 22:51   #64
Senior - BHPian

GTO, an "unputdownable" review..if you were given a choice for an an alternate career maybe you should opt for forensic medicine! This is among the best E350 reviews that you can read in the WWW till date.

IMO, this car can be compared to a Steven Spielberg film. Everything is "Avantgarde" yet lack the sheer charm or elegance of a Sergio Leone or David Lean movie.

Quote:

• Merc has taken the seats to an entirely different level. We sat in Yuvraj’s previous-gen E Class right after the 450 kms drive in the E350. Now, the W211 by itself had nice front seats, but they felt antique compared to the new E350! Splendid support.
That said, we must appreciate those engineers in Stuttgart and elsewhere for reinventing this machine. Imagine Spielberg remaking The Minority Report every fifth year....
Old 26th October 2009, 22:53   #65
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Is it just me - I LOVE the rear of this car.
Yes, I think you are in the minority here

Quote:
And I positively HATE those boomerang day time running LED's - yuck !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Just saw one on road today. Those lights don't look so bad actually.. Especially when you see those on your rear view mirror.
Those LED's look pretty sweet in person. Very bright during the day and absolutely pimped at night.

Quote:
That TAN shade just rocks, love it. The interiors look decent
I really liked the tan leather myself. Gives the interiors a nice premium feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
how are they going to market S-Class coz this looks quite close to it.
True. The gap between the C & the outgoing E was reduced with the new C's launch last year. And now, the E closes in on the S.

However, the S still has mega rear bench room. And for most CEO's, it is simply a matter of status (S > E).

Quote:
My Bro bought an S-Class today so when I get back home I will just get to know it little closer and deeper and do a comparison.
Whoa! Congrats to your brother. Look forward to your comments.

Quote:
The lighting is looking really class .
The ambient interior lighting at night? You have to see it in person to believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
How did you guys manage to take the video shot were the two wheels on the left are seen in motion? Was someone hanging out of the boot with a camera?
Rehaan will elaborate on this. But to make a long story short, the camera was mounted onto the side / rear of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick! View Post
This saves me a lot os research into buying a merc for my parents.
Hey, if its back seat comfort for your folks, look no further than the E.

Buttttttttttttttttttt if you are going to drive yourself (as an enthusiast), you'd do well in testing the 5 series too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Back end is uber conservative and retro-1992.
And such a contrast to the aggressive front!

Quote:
ORVM looks overstyled! sorry but that's ricer...trying too hard very un-Mercedes like.
Agreed. Very un-Mercedes.

Quote:
BTW does it have anti glare IRVM?
Yup, the IRVM is auto dimming.

Quote:
How well does the navi system work for Indian roads?
What navi system? Doesn't have one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I really like the front end !
Quote:
Alloys looks fantastic,
You like the alloys too?

Quote:
The interior space being as much as the 5 is not much to talk home about, yes the 5 is more spacious than the previous E but I was expecting merc to make it a bit bigger this time.
Ditto. Though its a massive improvement on the W211, a crucial area where the 5 could have been beaten. Missed opportunity?

But the recline angle + ride quality make it way more comfy than the 5.

Quote:
heck we didn't even get Xenon lamps after paying 50 lakhs for the previous E !
I'm a bit peeved at the lack of convex mirrors in this car. I believe that the E is sold with them internationally. Heck, even the humble Tata Manza has convex!! The LHS mirror is useless.

Quote:
But all they have done is to 'match' the 5 for the most part. And this is the highest spec'ed model the smaller engines would be even more stripped.
Going by the last 5 years (especially), I'd say Merc has pulled up its socks. There really is not a gizmo / equipment that you'd find lacking in this car.

Quote:
Last but not the least, maintenance packs ! We have been hearing about them for a long time and this is a major major drawback,
I could not agree any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Pls confirm me the dial i.e in the pic marked in red.Is it a analog clock in speedometer.
Yes sir, that's an analog clock. Been a part of Merc's dashboards since decades.

Quote:
I read push to open & push close fuel cap.won't it easy to steel the fuel.
It won't open if the doors are locked (like in my Benz too). And the doors do auto-lock once you start driving anyways (no chance of anyone fooling around in traffic either).

Last edited by GTO : 26th October 2009 at 23:01.
Old 26th October 2009, 23:18   #66
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
and coming from an owner of one of these cars, it really helps the reader to associate the improvements with previous models.
Thanks, I thought it'd be great to have a W211 owner's perspective on the W212. And Yuvraj showed up with the Racelogic too!

Quote:
Saw one in darker shade yesterday and i somehow dont have much to complain about it.
It's certainly got presence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAddict View Post
This one looks aggressive as compared to more suttle looks of the old ones.
Nicely put. The W212 is very "in your face", unlike the understated charm of the W211. Lets see what the market prefers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
I have read many comparisons between this trio and somehow Volvo S80 is left out - Why?
Well, the S80 is - at the moment - irrelevant to this segment. The fight is between the E & the 5, with Audi playing catch up. Why not Volvo? Zero brand, zero presence and a boring car. I personally like its stance but to beat the big boys, you gotta have a USP. The Volvo has none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I am curious about the utility of those LED fog lights. How was their performance ?
Driving with or without them was more or less the same. Though, daytime running lights play their part in making others aware of your presence.

For those of us driving without DRLs, it's always a good idea to keep the low beam on at all times on the highway (even during the day).

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
What i liked about the new E class is that its getting closer and closer in creature comforts which was till now the domain of the S class. Interior wise, the poered seats in the front, Memory for driver as well as passenger, steering tilt for easy access, Bixenon lights, not standatrd even for the S class over all models (W220)
The E has definitely upped the game with this car & the trim level (traditional merc grouse) is now amongst the best.

Quote:
WHat immediately came to my notice is the lack of space in the W212 as compared to the W211 and the W220 in the driver leg space. By leg space i mean the spread which a driver can enjoy in the previous gen E is somehow compromised. I think it is the result of making the door arms thicker, maybe for safety reasons (as i dont see any other reason for doing something like this)
Your comment is an eye-opener. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
I would like to completely agree with GTO on his noticing the Ponton-esq rear overhang of the W212.
I'm honestly not a big fan of these weird cuts. Traditional curve + Muscular wheel arches will do just fine. Thank you.

Quote:
The interiors on the whole, look good and are top notch in finish and quality. Dont particularly care for the vague shade of brown, burgundy on the seats...what the heck is that colour and how does it match with white exteriors? This is one department i would rather a Lady handles.
Classic man!

Quote:
I loved the touch of the dual sun visors, very ingenious and makes one wonder why no one ever thought of it. I remember the Toyota Crown Super Saloon came with self rotating swing controls on the front a/c louvres. A great touch. Wonder why no one has though of that?
Well, this car is really about the little touches.

Quote:
Somehow this car, in my opinion is inclined towards the chauffeur and less to the owner driver. The BMW and the Audi on the other hand are completely opposite.
And its amazing how both are at extremes. The E350 is luxurious, but rather boring to drive. The 530i is super for the driver, but with such a stiff suspension / runflat tyres, its rather uncomfortable!

Quote:
With the long rear lights the Merc is trying to return to the W123-116-126 era but those were classic designs and as rightfully put by GTO, timeless.
Tell you what's classic. Someone just bought a W140 today! Details when we speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Wow, now that's going through a car with a fine toothed comb !! Fantastic write up and very objective.
Thanks DKG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydevil View Post
And also an off topic question, but do you have any idea as to when the face lifted S-Class with LED's be made available?
Sorry, no such info here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Excessive tire noise is mostly because the natural frequency of the body is resonating with the frequency of the tire thread pattern on a particular road surface at a particular speed.
Those Conti's made a racket at any speed over 80 on the expressway. But yet, on tarmac, whisper silence. Me thinks all E350 owners will be smart in swapping the Contis for Michelins (or similar).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
That said, we must appreciate those engineers in Stuttgart and elsewhere for reinventing this machine. Imagine Spielberg remaking The Minority Report every fifth year....
Really, how do you improve already accomplished cars? As they say, to stand still is the same as moving backward.

Last edited by GTO : 26th October 2009 at 23:20.
Old 26th October 2009, 23:40   #67
BHPian

upholstery is not of my taste, looks too classic, back to 70-80`s!!
Old 27th October 2009, 00:37   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO, some quick questions:
- Is this car as reliable as what a Mercedes should be? Many merc owners were put off with the reliability of their previous generation C/E/S Classes. Will this new model be better in that aspect?
- If you were looking to upgrade the C220, would you buy this?
- Money no bar, if one owned an E-Class, would this be a sensible upgrade? Or would the new 7 Series/A8 be better?

Last edited by lamborghini : 27th October 2009 at 00:40.
Old 27th October 2009, 00:43   #69
Senior - BHPian

I saw one of these babies on the road yesterday and the front looks quite intimidating with those daytime front LED fogs...!

A masterpiece from Merc

About time i'd say....
Old 27th October 2009, 09:47   #70
BHPian

I think Audi was the one to showcase these LED's concept upfront; others merely copied it!
Old 27th October 2009, 10:58   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

@GTO: I agree there is not a gizmo lacking in this car. But you don't know what you are lacking unless you really have it. I only realised the importance of Xenons once I got them on the 5 and I was content. But now I find adaptive xenons even more important after getting them in the superb. Late last evening my dad I were driving back from Pune and the twisty ghat section made me realise how much better/safer it would have been with adaptive xenon.
I am just using xenons as an example here, I know the new E has adaptive lights. But my point being, who is the raise the bar for the customer? Once again BMW is left to do this job for merc to once again come and "match" them?

@Lambo- I don't think anyone can comment on reliabilty as yet. And my suggestion is, if you have the moolah to upgrade your E with a 7, don't think twice about the new E !
Old 27th October 2009, 11:58   #72
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Wow GTO !! Thank you ! You made my Monday all the more exciting. i was sitting bored at office when i ran through your review and the awesome pics. Perked me up instantly

IMHO I didnt like the front end. especially the lights, they should have been more symmetrical like on the previous E , but maybe MB wants to do some out of box designs to stand out !

The interiors are really nice and the lounge lighting effect seems interesting. looks like were going to see more of it on other models (like the DRL's from Audi ??)

Just a doubt, i noticed that the DRL's are placed real low on the bumper and there are no fog lamps. are they supposed to replace the fogs ??
Old 27th October 2009, 12:36   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@GTO: I agree there is not a gizmo lacking in this car. But you don't know what you are lacking unless you really have it....
I absolutely agree!

If Merc really wanted to LOAD the Indian E with gizmos, they could have atleast included the following :
- Sat-nav !!!!
- Blind spot indicators (shows when there is a car in your blind-spot)
- Reverse camera (may as well use that screen!)
- Cornering lights (turns on one side fog-light when you put your indicator on -- don't think this was offered, even though active lights feature is present; correct me if i'm wrong)
- Convex LHS RVM (Yuvraj was saying this can be selected as an option when Mercedes India specs the cars from the factory?)

Also, this is the highest offered variant/engine we are looking at, so we're gonna have to wait and see if/what other items are struck off the list for the soon to be launched others.

I will however say that Mercedes does pack a lot of safety features into their cars, which end up being taken for granted and overlooked sometimes.

Quote:
.... But now I find adaptive xenons even more important after getting them in the superb. Late last evening my dad I were driving back from Pune and the twisty ghat section made me realise how much better/safer it would have been with adaptive xenon.
"Don't know what you have till its gone!"

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th October 2009 at 12:46.
Old 27th October 2009, 15:23   #74
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
- Is this car as reliable as what a Mercedes should be? Many merc owners were put off with the reliability of their previous generation C/E/S Classes. Will this new model be better in that aspect?
Way too early to comment. We'll have to wait for atleast 2 years before I can update on niggles (and electronics).

Quote:
If you were looking to upgrade the C220, would you buy this?
Nope, one segment above, I'd buy the 530d for personal driving (folks = E Class).

Quote:
Money no bar, if one owned an E-Class, would this be a sensible upgrade? Or would the new 7 Series/A8 be better?
Forget the A8, get the 7. It is an unbelievably competent luxo-barge. However, if you are looking at back seat comfort, nothing touches the S Class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
I think Audi was the one to showcase these LED's concept upfront; others merely copied it!
True. Everyone else jumped on the LED bandwagon. We caught a red A4 with black tints and DRLs and our lower jaws dropped. As they say, looks best on the original!

Quote:
@GTO: I agree there is not a gizmo lacking in this car. But you don't know what you are lacking unless you really have it.
Hey, you are talking to a guy whos Merc is half-as-loaded as the E / 5, and I still don't see the point in gizmos. Sorry, but I like my cars simple + mechanically over-engineered.

A relevant post from another thread:

[quote]Throw in memory seats + mirrors + steering also if you want. iPod integration is a MUST-HAVE for me. No more. The point is, all the features I've listed are old school, perfected and very easy to get 10 year reliability out of. I really don't need 1000 sensors in my car (one of which tells me that my windscreen wash fluid is low, I can check myself thank you), four zone climate control (never even used dual zone in my C220), rain sensing wipers (I always override with manual controls), auto headlamps (ditto), parking sensors (never needed them in any car I've parked, including many S Class'), the equivalent of 30 computers in my car (S Class) or fiber optic cables!

A relevant post I'd made in Ajmats awesome thread

Quote:
Of what is essential:

1. Power windows
2. Central Locking (But I get autocop in all my cars anyways)
3. Power Steering
4. ABS (Especially with the kind of power cars are putting out now)
5. Traction Control
6. Airbags
7. Power mirrors
8. ECM (Whose only responsibility is maintaining efficient combustion and of course, the check engine light)

A really loaded audio system and a sun-roof would be great.

Everything else is hog-wash. Its just a luxury car maker's way of justifying the high price ( "But Dahling my friend has it in her Accord...how come your Mercedes doesnt offer too much more!!" ).

GTO
Quote:
Late last evening my dad I were driving back from Pune and the twisty ghat section
I was on the way back too. Would have been fun to bump into each other on the expressway in our Germans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
The interiors are really nice and the lounge lighting effect seems interesting. looks like were going to see more of it on other models (like the DRL's from Audi ??)
I'm pretty certain BMW & Audi have already bought & stripped some E-Class' apart. Like Audi brought in the DRLs, I expect the E's 5-star like lighting to extend to the other brands.

Quote:
Just a doubt, i noticed that the DRL's are placed real low on the bumper and there are no fog lamps. are they supposed to replace the fogs ??
Fogs are now integrated into the headlamp assembly.
Old 27th October 2009, 17:20   #75
Senior - BHPian

GTO & other friends, to add maza to your test report I here with post couple of latest commercial of new E-class, hope you all enjoy:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks