Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2009, 17:45   #76
BHPian

Wow typical GTO syle review. What a car. The E class is back with a bang. I personally dont like the headlight design though.
Old 27th October 2009, 23:59   #77
BHPian

GTO,

i wanna ask something about the pricing. 46 lacs. ex showroom.
and its assembled here in india right? so is this CKD pricing or CBU pricing?!

and why diesel engines in such cars are cheaper than their petrol version. any difference in taxes?

i wann just say this,

the designer of the car clearly mentions that this is the most mordern mercedes ever to be built. and perhaps the most mordern car too.

this is also the most aerodynamic car in the world. its Cd. is just 0.25 and thats like the best in the whole world. (blue efficency).

so, those who don't like the design because its more edgy and angular should think again. here the function has taken over the form. its practical, safe and super luxurious. its the best mercedes ( just below the S class)

even the ad campaign has the slogan "welcome home". i think it speaks for itself.
Old 28th October 2009, 15:08   #78
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
and its assembled here in india right?
Pricing based on local assembly.

Quote:
and why diesel engines in such cars are cheaper than their petrol version. any difference in taxes?
The cheaper diesel I am talking about is the 4 cylinder 220 / 250 unit. 4 cylinder Euro diesels are generally cheaper than 6 cylinder Euro petrols (for obvious reason). It is the entry-level diesel that will be the most relevant. In the same way that an E220 CDI sold in higher numbers than the E280 petrol (outgoing W211 generation E Class).

On the other hand, the 6 cylinder E350 CDI diesel should be priced about in the same range as the E350 we tested.
Old 28th October 2009, 16:04   #79
BHPian

GTO,

An amazing review. Very detailed, with personal views.

Reminds me of the comparative between HD camcorders ( forget the url now) that I referred to, to select a good HD camcorder way back in 2007.

Which brings me back to the coolness quotient of the E class - is this a car that a driver will love to drive or is it one to be seen in?

Views from bhpians please...

P.S. : I personally prefer a car which stands out by blending in rather than which stands out by standing out ( an oxymoron!)

Regards
Old 29th October 2009, 11:51   #80
BHPian

It might be loaded with goodies but I am very sorry to say, it looks like a Lexus with a Merc mascot. I would live with a W124 Sedan. Thats has to be the best looking E-Class still out there for me.
Old 29th October 2009, 14:54   #81
BHPian

In terms of looks I prefer the W 109 and the W 116, especially the 450 SEL 6.9, although both fall in the S Class slot.

In terms of durability, the W 124 ( in the E Class) and the W 140 ( in the S Class) will be hard to beat.

Regards
Old 29th October 2009, 14:54   #82
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
Which brings me back to the coolness quotient of the E class - is this a car that a driver will love to drive or is it one to be seen in?
You'd much rather be on the back seat than in the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
I would live with a W124 Sedan. Thats has to be the best looking E-Class still out there for me.
You speak our language, Ron! Where are the 124's and 126's amongst the newer cars?
Old 29th October 2009, 15:12   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It might be loaded with goodies but I am very sorry to say, it looks like a Lexus with a Merc mascot. I would live with a W124 Sedan. Thats has to be the best looking E-Class still out there for me.
Me too. W124 any day for me is the best looking merc.

I still remeber my school days where in i used to tune to one of the Sukwinder sings video in which a Malaika arora boards a white W124 MERC. I used wait till end of song just to watch the white MERC. What a majestic MERC it was.

any one know what was that Sukwinder Sing's album name?
Old 29th October 2009, 16:21   #84
BHPian

Thanks for the amazing report / review. I really wish I had enough money to buy myself one of these
Old 31st October 2009, 12:29   #85
Senior - BHPian

GTO, you are one hell of a reviewer.

Quote:
"Un-Mercedes" rear profile
What about the wannabe front? Why did they space out the lights? I have always liked Mercedes for the dignified looks they gave their sedans (yeah, I am not too much of the BMW/Audi person). This one seems a bit ummmm ... different. Even the side profile looks a bit out of place. They should not have done this to the 'E'.
Old 31st October 2009, 15:25   #86
BHPian

Saw the E350 at Peddar Rd. At night. Frankly there was not that much striking during the night to differ it from the older version untill you get reasonably close though the front stance is very 'Benz' ( Mind you, we are talking about 1 AM here ) . The LEDs however give it instant recognition. I did not like the back however, seems like an overkill. What ever happened to small but classy tail lights?
Old 31st October 2009, 17:33   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
GTO,

and why diesel engines in such cars are cheaper than their petrol version.
The E280cdi was a tad cheaper than the E280 petrol in the W211. When the E350 cdi comes, expect it to be cheaper 9(negligibly) than its petrol counterpart. IF on the other hand they continue the E280dci in the W212, it will be relatively cheaper than the S350. The more powerful engines in the diesel group will of course be more expensive than its lower powered petrol sibling as has always been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
In terms of looks I prefer the W 109 and the W 116, especially the 450 SEL 6.9, although both fall in the S Class slot.

In terms of durability, the W 124 ( in the E Class) and the W 140 ( in the S Class) will be hard to beat.

Regards
Right on buddy but we cant compare apples to oranges. The S is a S and the E is an E. This E is one of the worst looking Mercedes i have seen. Just saw one today in Maroon. Looked like a non Merc from the front, side and rear. If oe starts mistaking a Merc for another Jap car, whats the point??

I too am a big fan of the "Tank" W 140 shape as i am of the "Bangled" 7 Series.

Last edited by V-16 : 31st October 2009 at 17:34.
Old 31st October 2009, 17:55   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1 to that . But lets not start comparing the W124 to the W212. The 124s were over engineered Mercs. We can just go on about the older Mercedes cars. This thread is about the W212 so lets talk about that only
Old 1st November 2009, 16:28   #89
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
What about the wannabe front?
I much prefer the classic-looking W211 to the new W212. Not a fan of the futuristic front-end either, though every else (Rehaan, Dippy, Yuvraj) liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I too am a big fan of the "Tank" W 140 shape as i am of the "Bangled" 7 Series.
+1 on the tank. You also like the bangled previous-gen 7?
Old 1st November 2009, 16:43   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I much prefer the classic-looking W211 to the new W212. Not a fan of the futuristic front-end either, though every else (Rehaan, Dippy, Yuvraj) liked it.
Totally. W124 and then W211. Beautiful E's.
Quote:
You also like the bangled previous-gen 7?
I did not the '02 one though. The mid-life facelift.

Most Viewed