Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2009, 15:09   #16
BHPian

Wow! amazing review thanks GTO and Rehaan. I kinda prefer the old E class to the new one. At times you keep all the logical stuff aside (all the hi-tech features, fuel economy, looks,comfort etc) and just go with what your heart says
Old 25th October 2009, 15:38   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
One of the best you have done.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhegde View Post
Tan leather seats looks fantastic (right word = GORGEOUS).
I loved this fresh shade of brown leather.

Quote:
Overall design is good (could have done better with the rear design).
You can say that again. The rear lacks personality (more so at night). I don't think too much of the front end, though Rehaan, Yuvraj and Dippy like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Great review, Arush! You have covered each and everything bout this car!!
Hey, it's Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
This car is only meant for people who want rear comfort rather than someone who wants performance.
Totally agreed. Enthusiasts are way better off with the 5. That said, the number of customers who will sit on the rear bench compared to the front is probably a 9:1 ratio!

Quote:
But I'm surprised why has Merc only launched just 1 trim, the E350 Avantgarde? Which was the best selling variant in case of the W211?
To build that "premium" image around this car. Lesser variants + more important diesels coming soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
I must say that the photographs are really awesome
It's our official new Camera - The Lumix LX3 - at work here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
No mudflaps on the recent Es! This leaves a mess on the body, behind the wheels in wet / dirty conditions.
I don't like mudflaps on my Benz'! Haven't kitted out the C with any either.
Old 25th October 2009, 15:39   #18
BHPian

Superb review as expected GTO, though i cannot digest the looks of the car, atleast not yet. Maybe it might grow on given time...

Now I Just need to win that elusive lottery
Old 25th October 2009, 15:58   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
... I don't think too much of the front end, though Rehaan, Yuvraj and Dippy like it.
I see a lot of pure Mercedes in the w212's front end. Its like it's picked up on evolution once again, after an attempt at revolution (round lights).

Check out Wald's take on it and you will know what i mean.
Driven: The 2010 Mercedes E-Class (W212)-waldmercedeseclass01.jpg
Source

The rear on the other hand is so run of the mill and doesn't seem to have the same appeal as the rest of the car. You'd never guess it was a Benz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
... I don't like mudflaps on my Benz'! Haven't kitted out the C with any either.
Well i'm not suggesting the dealers slap on a set -- but i find this lacking on a company that once upon a time even designed their cladding so that splashes from the road would not carry up onto the body.

After just 200kms on dry highway roads (no recent rains), this is what the result is :
Driven: The 2010 Mercedes E-Class (W212)-img_1771_edit-small.jpg

Surely they can build in a way to prevent this.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th October 2009 at 16:00.
Old 25th October 2009, 16:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

I just was the review. Even though I couldn't read it fully, I really appreciate the photos & the video. Great work mates, keep it up!
Old 25th October 2009, 16:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

excellent review.
But i think the avant garde trim is the only one in which the "E" is available right now.
personally i would love to drive the V6 But this car and similarly Most Mercs are chauffeur driven. So i think if the "E" wants to really pick up sales and match up with the Beemers they need to introduce the Diesel Variants ASAP.

The interiors are typically Mercedes -Sheer Luxury.
frankly i felt the old E boring and preferred the C over it. But the W212 has given me new opinions about it
Old 25th October 2009, 16:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

@GTO

Brilliant review, covering most of all anyone would want to know about a new car.

Personally I would go with the previous generation car. The rear is the most disappointing ever, and the front I think is controvertial - some may like it, some may hate it.

The steering wheel also looked very unlike a Merc or maybe it's just me. Do not like the part about steering being super light even at high cruising speeds.

Many features like the electric seat controls, electric folding rear screen etc were / are there even on the A4, as are the rear window manual blinds. I'd look forward to the diesels' though, in terms of performance etc.

At this price, hypothetically speaking, I'd go with the 530d anyday. Hope they have a few options on the diesel powerplants.

The luxury feel may be there on the inside, but the outside puts me off. The Alloys look very downmarket in terms of design IMHO.

But being a Merc loving country I think this car will sell, once the diesels roll out !!

Cheers
Old 25th October 2009, 16:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic review GTO. Every point covered in detail plus the additional Racelogic data sheet was added bonus. I love the front end of this car but the rear? There's already much said about it so I don't want to comment further. However these tail lights look good on the station wagon which is sold abroad. This front end design might be the way of the future though. I wont be too surprised to see the next gen S Class sporting a similar design.

Nice car overall and beats its rivals when it comes to comfort and relaxed travelling. Enthusiasts will be left asking for more though.
Old 25th October 2009, 17:19   #24
BHPian

Excellent review GTO. The W212 scores over the W211 I think. Only the rear end reminds me of a sonata embera ( am i the only one ?). And THANK YOU, Thank you Mercedes for abandoning beige interiors. I hope other manufacturers follow suit. Any powerful diesels coming by?
Old 25th October 2009, 17:21   #25
Team-BHP Support

Excellent review!

Good to see Mercedes going back to its core values.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I see a lot of pure Mercedes in the w212's front end. Its like it's picked up on evolution once again, after an attempt at revolution (round lights).
Check out Wald's take on it and you will know what i mean.
Attachment 215523
While 211 looked beautiful, this front end has a solid feel like the old mercs. Rear looks like a Sonata though!

IMHO, just take out the LED on the front bumper of the E350, it would look a lot better. Can someone do a light photoshop job removing those LEDs?
Old 25th October 2009, 17:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Two reverse ratios? They really did think of everything, didn't they? Except about the rear end design
Old 25th October 2009, 17:31   #27
BHPian

Fantastic Review.. was a pleasure to read

Lets see if this is the car that improves mercedes' fortunes in India.
Old 25th October 2009, 17:33   #28
BHPian

Excellent review. Beats our auto mags any day.

I personally everything about the car save for the rear. The same rear end treatment looks much better on the Coupe than on the sedan.

I hope Mercedes has a crash rework of the rear on the drawing board! I cant recall one review I have read where they have been kind to this rear end design
Old 25th October 2009, 17:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

wow what a car - luxury in 4 wheels
And What a REview by GTO.
Dont think anyone else will give a write up like this !
Thanks
Old 25th October 2009, 17:58   #30
BHPian

Brilliant review. Cant wait to see one on the road with the AMG kit !!!! Will look MEAN.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks