Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2009, 14:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations flyingspur..!!Nice alloys...The i20 looks so awesome with your photographic skills...Nice compositions

Happy Motoring
Old 26th October 2009, 15:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

@ Vijaythacker : Paid them whatever they wanted. Hehe. They're tight, no discounts on paper anywhere. Got matting and mudflaps, anti-rust coating and an idol as a freebie, and booked the car while making it clear that if there was any dealer sticker on the car, someone would get seriously hurt

@ Tejas / Vijaythacker : Was hoping to keep the expenses as tight as I could. Got ~8k for the stock rims. Paid 4k over that for this (set of 4).

@ NC : Thanks dost. Plastic covers came off the night after I installed the sunfilm. Tu kya chalayega? Tujhe RS ki aadat hai, yeh 1.2 pakau hai yaar !!

@ NC & Blackasta : Interior pics coming soon. These shots are with a cellphone cam. Interior pics would suck with the same, and I'm waiting for access to my bro's digicam.

@ undead : Got the sunfilms installed for 6k total. The front itself (CR70) was 4k. Rest for 2k. Works well, because the aircon os the i20 isn't very effective on my midday highway trips (two already). More on that later.

@ Klub Class : Thank you for your kind words. Not too much photography involved here. Or maybe there's some latent skill. I just try to imitate angles I see in magazines and publications. And Rudra

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 26th October 2009 at 15:50.
Old 27th October 2009, 16:39   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on a truly premium hatch! Dippy was telling me of how he was floored by the interior quality, fit and finish of your i20. Please do keep updating this thread with developments in your ownership experience.

Quote:
Initial impressions, positives, negatives and FE figures later, after my first tankful.
Look forward to it. Drive safe, Flyingspur.

P.S. Not a big fan of your alloy wheel design. But hey, looks are subjective and as long as you are happy
Old 27th October 2009, 16:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

wow, that car is the best hatch in country ( in my personal view ), looks huge and robust and full of features

Congrats man
Old 27th October 2009, 16:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congrats on a truly premium hatch! Dippy was telling me of how he was floored by the interior quality, fit and finish of your i20. Please do keep updating this thread with developments in your ownership experience.

Look forward to it. Drive safe, Flyingspur.
Thanks man I'll keep this place updated, yeah. And it's not difficult to drive safe with this 1.2 !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
wow, that car is the best hatch in country ( in my personal view ), looks huge and robust and full of features.
Thanks RK !! Same reason we bought it. Full of features, like our Corolla, and yet with the practicality of a hatch in the urban environment.
Old 27th October 2009, 18:16   #21
BHPian

Congrats on your new buy flyingspur. The sunfilm looks like CS30, elegant looking silver spur. How much did you tradein your stock alloys for?
Old 28th October 2009, 00:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
Congrats on your new buy flyingspur. The sunfilm looks like CS30, elegant looking silver spur. How much did you tradein your stock alloys for?
Thanks. Refer to post#17 for damages. Front sunfilm is CR70 clear, side is slightly tinted... something. Forgot the product code.

First tankful FE update :-

Got a good 13.39 kmpl. Tankful to tankful method. About 50:50 usage in city and highway. I'm loving it. Of course, never crossed 2500 rpm in the city and 3000 rpm on the highway. But within this limit, acceleration has generally been medium to hard. Not the best way to run in !!

Edit : How could I forget to mention. Regular petrol, not premium. And AC 100% @ 22 deg and blower on 3rd or 4th position.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 28th October 2009 at 00:16.
Old 28th October 2009, 00:16   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Thanks. Refer to post#17 for damages. Front sunfilm is CR70 clear, side is slightly tinted... something. Forgot the product code.
oops missed that post. 8K for the alloy seems to be a fair price. Howz the accelere performing. How about the tyre noise as heard inside the cabin? I am having hard time with the tyre noise from my stock MRF tyres :(
Old 28th October 2009, 14:03   #24
BHPian

Hello Flyingspur.

Congrats on your new purchase, i'm sure you will enjoy driving her.

As you mentioned about the a/c, i too felt that it was less effective, i was using the auto mode though. Also while using the auto mode be vary of the fresh air intake it automatically switches on and off inviting dust from outside considering the fact that you are driving in polluted environments.

Apart from that do you know if asta is equipped with an anti theft alarm .

I couldnt figure it out still. If not what best can we do, cant rely on immobiliser alone. Please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 28th October 2009, 16:24   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
oops missed that post. 8K for the alloy seems to be a fair price. Howz the accelere performing. How about the tyre noise as heard inside the cabin? I am having hard time with the tyre noise from my stock MRF tyres :(
Acelere's are great. That's why I retained them. Comfy, decent grip and they don't make a racket. Perfect for sedate urban driving.

What? You got MRFs with your i20? Or is this another car we're talking about? MRF's are really sad anyway. Made of hard compound just to last longer AFAIK. Am I lost here, because I always thought Acelere were stock from day one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somu_john View Post
Hello Flyingspur.

Congrats on your new purchase, i'm sure you will enjoy driving her.
Thank you!!

Quote:
As you mentioned about the a/c, i too felt that it was less effective, i was using the auto mode though. Also while using the auto mode be vary of the fresh air intake it automatically switches on and off inviting dust from outside considering the fact that you are driving in polluted environments.
Noticed that the very first moment. I always use recirculation, and this peculiarity of the AC really pisses me off. Have to manually reselect recirculation after pressing Auto. Anyway, I believe I'm on my way to mastering this AC. I've stopped using Auto. Slightly higher blower speed and lowe temp, then gradually adjust both and it works fine. Still a let-down though.

Quote:
Apart from that do you know if asta is equipped with an anti theft alarm.
Hmm. No idea. Has an immobilizer though. And I like the fact that it doesn't provide any audible feedback (beep etc.) when locked or unlocked.
Old 29th October 2009, 01:21   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Acelere's are great. That's why I retained them. Comfy, decent grip and they don't make a racket. Perfect for sedate urban driving.

What? You got MRFs with your i20? Or is this another car we're talking about? MRF's are really sad anyway. Made of hard compound just to last longer AFAIK. Am I lost here, because I always thought Acelere were stock from day one.
Nope. I got MRF's with my Fiesta and i need to live with this for next 3 years as i got the vehicle through lease plan. They are not allowing any modifications to the car. I can change the rims to alloys but should be of same size (14 inch) tyres should be of same size (175's) so burried the thought of changing the shoes for 3 years.
Old 29th October 2009, 13:26   #27
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations buddy. I know how long you've been wanting to get a car. I'm happy that shes finally with you. The fit and finish on the i20 is outstanding. The alloys look great in person. Hope your photographer friend does a shoot soon. Have fun and yes it was nice to see the car just a day after delivery
Old 30th October 2009, 10:59   #28
Senior - BHPian

Initial Impressions

"Later" has finally arrived. Here goes.

Fuel Efficiency :
  • My first tankful involved the hatch gulping down more than 40 litres of regular unleaded petrol from HP. The driving was not exactly sedate, but within the 2500 rpm limit on urban roads, and around 3000 rpm on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway. Usage would be about 50:50 city to highway. Also included quite a bit of bumper-to-bumper traffic and about 45 mins of idling with the A/C on (massive waste of fuel, don't ask me why). The car returned 13.39 km/lt. Beyond my expectation =>
Please don't be offended with this statement but since India takes this very, very seriously (often preceding safety), I thought I should cover this point first.

An effortless urban commuter :
  • The car is simply effortless to drive. After the Accent, I always wondered whether I'll ever find a car with a gearshift as smooth and effortless ever again. The i20 makes the Accent seem like labour.
  • Talk about labour. A couple of days back I picked up the Corolla from service and had to drive through almost 45 minutes of bumper-to-bumper traffic. The usually zippy and agile Corolla felt like hard labour to drive in traffic, due to its stiff clutch + notchy gearshift + hydraulic PS. And this is after only 3 days with the i20. This can be attributed to the EPS, light gearshift and clutch of the i20.
I feel that though the enthusiast in us might complain about the absolute lack of feedback and feeling of a disconnected drive due to the EPS, those of us that just want an urban commuter - which is compact, agile, and beats sedans on equipment - will truly appreciate the i20 for what it is. And is excels beyond doubt in this department.

On the highway, the EPS does obviously fall short of inspiring confidence, but if it's that bad, you're probably flying at velocities not recommended for anything lesser than a Golf GTi to begin with. Cruise, and you shall be pleased.

How thoughtful of them !!
  • The dead pedal. Overlooked by so many manufacturers. Major annoyance for me if absent.
  • Beige is the new fad. But so what? There's room for thought here too.
    Fact 1 : Beige seats get dirty in India.
    Fact 2: Beige dashboard-tops reflect in direct sunlight and cause distraction / hinder visibility (eg. i10).
    I appreciate, then, that both these have been coloured in a dark brown shade.
  • Rear wash/wipe. I expect this to be very useful in the monsoon.
  • Height adjustment for driver seat.
  • "Dark" button to switch off the information display on the dash, for those of us who simply cannot live without fussing over that extra couple of lumens of light which might distract us at night.
  • The doors and/or the hatch lock themselves if the car is unlocked with the remote and not opened for x seconds.
  • The power windows work for x seconds after the key is removed from ignition.
I'm fully aware that most of the stuff I've talked about here is common fare and is found on many cars in the market. The point is the i20 incorporates them all. And it gives the customer a feeling that Hyundai has thought of pretty much everything. Full credit.

Driving impressions, positives and negatives........later

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 30th October 2009 at 11:02.
Old 30th October 2009, 15:38   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I feel that though the enthusiast in us might complain about the absolute lack of feedback and feeling of a disconnected drive due to the EPS, those of us that just want an urban commuter - which is compact, agile, and beats sedans on equipment - will truly appreciate the i20 for what it is. And is excels beyond doubt in this department.
About the EPS : Well said. There's a reason why Maruti & Hyundai have adopted them with open arms. Us enthusiasts may want a firmer steering, feedback et al, but the lay man (99% of our market) is simply comfortable with a super-light steering wheel. In my entire family, I am the only one who relishes the Merc's steering. Everyone else hates it.
Old 30th October 2009, 16:26   #30
BHPian

Heartiest Congratulations flyingspar! I bet you are one of the proud owner of the best Hatchback in India.
I own Hyundai_I20 Asta (Metallic grey colour) model and has been driving in the bumper-bumper traffic in Bangalore from past 7 months.
I never felt driving this beauty in the Bangalore traffic as tiresome. Thanks to EPS & Kappa engine!
Internal feautres like electrical OVRM, AC cooling in Glove box, steering Audio controls and driver seat adjustment are awesome and very helpful.
Folding Keys are wonderful.
The -ve aspect of this car is its ground clearence & Zippy power.
Be very careful while manvuering the badly laid road humps, especially under full load. I have expreinced lots of thuds in Bangalore, because of Road humps laid unscientifically.
I feel it is lightly underpowered in 2nd Gear.

Happy Riding

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks