Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2009, 17:34   #1
BHPian

Mitsubishi Cedia Sports: Test drive

While I was on a vacation to the Pink City, I was missing some action and hence went for a test drive, The machine was Cedia sports (2 ltr Petrol), the track was Yamaha dirt track (new and still under construction) and the day !! well, had to be a pleasant one as the showroom HAD a Cedia not even done a PDI so as they say a virgin !! all needed was to floor it.

@ the dealership (Akar Mitsubishi), we looked at the vehicle (while all the frames were standstill), looked a serious great offering with all two-tone leather trims, MOMO 3-spoke steering, drilled pedals, leather gear knob, SAT NAV and all adapter music system, bluetooth enabled, OZ racing alloys and Michelin tubeless R15s, front air bags as standard and the whole package costing a good 11lac OR. So, as a stationary vehicle, the deal looked great. So we thought to check out what happens when this package moves and hence we started for the track.

@ the track, the view was a rounded rectangular tarmac and in the middle is an all-dirt freestyle zone (at places its WIP for all the jumps and inclines) but still good enough to test the Strut suspensions and a good torque for the 2WD machine. What happened, is something which'll be truly etched in my memory for years to come or maybe till the time I own an Evo

Our first round, quite analogous to what happens at Thruxton / Nurburgring, was a steady one. It was an initial round of introduction between the beast and the reserve, the straight stretches were doing 50-60 Kph while the rounded corners were steady 50. Reaching at 4-5 round I was quite comfortable with the machine and vice versa and thats when a telepathy connect happened and it felt as if I was being CEDuced till now. The machine itself looked like demanding more and I had to give it, so, round 6 the straights became 100+ while the rounded corners were touching 80-90 and now was the time to stetch it to the limits where handbraking has to be done and round 8, the straights became 140 Kph while the rounded corners were 100+ and I felt as if I am doing a TG Indian edition, now came the time to test the struts and on round 10, at around 150 kph I jammed the hand brakes while turning left and relesed them and entered the rugged diagonal of the rectangular outer. The next 30 mins were like riding a G-train with mozzarella in the mouth, the taste comes when you stop but before that its rolling within.

At the end, I came out quite satisfied and decided to make a purchase very soon, the quotation is finalised, the whole deal is costing me a good 10.5 lac OR and the dealer is happy to accept my Alto Lxi as an exchange. I think this new year, i'll be a CEDIA-trician.

While I am quite pleased with the way the machine performed, I am sure there are long-term owners and experts in this forum who can provide valuable inputs which could influence my purchase decision. Awaiting such responses.
Old 26th October 2009, 17:44   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

The only way I will try to influence your decision is by saying this.

Dont even think of changing your mind. The car is fantastic. I love it and I'm sure you do as well!

One thing though, I dont think they are Michelin tubeless tyres. They are Potenza RE 88s from Bridgestone. That os the first thing you should change when you tke delivery of the car! Change them to Michelin PP2s or Yoko AD07s.
Old 26th October 2009, 18:10   #3
BHPian

Actually I was also surprised to see Michelins on it, but its true, they're offering Michelins and not Bridgestones as the company has recieved complaints regarding the Potenzas. Also, there has been some changes on the suspension front as well. The salesguy was not sure of exactly what but he said that this new version has improved suspensions.
But, all in all, I fell in love with the machine. They said the city FE will be around 14 and the highway one will be 17+, Is it true? Although I already have a FE car @ home, an A-star ZXi (bought 5 months ago, but not yet driven as its in Mt Abu right now), but still wanted to know.
Old 26th October 2009, 20:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
Actually I was also surprised to see Michelins on it, but its true, they're offering Michelins and not Bridgestones as the company has recieved complaints regarding the Potenzas. Also, there has been some changes on the suspension front as well. The salesguy was not sure of exactly what but he said that this new version has improved suspensions.
But, all in all, I fell in love with the machine. They said the city FE will be around 14 and the highway one will be 17+, Is it true? Although I already have a FE car @ home, an A-star ZXi (bought 5 months ago, but not yet driven as its in Mt Abu right now), but still wanted to know.
Expect more like 10 in the city and 13-14 on highway with decent quality fuel. The car is a bomb - I've been enjoying it for 3 years. I need to find out about what suspension changes they did. Good to see michelin as OEM.
Old 26th October 2009, 20:30   #5
BHPian

Congratulations on your decision.
For me, every day is a new day with my 20 months old CEDIA.
Expect FE of around around 10kmpl in the city and 12-13kmpl on highways (considering that you may constantly drive above 120kmph)
On highways, if you keep it below 120 always, you can expect 14kmpl. Anything above that I doubt.

Michelin - is a surprise for me too.
Old 27th October 2009, 09:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

That's a wise & quick decision. It will never let down as long as you rip, its either way if you don't.
Happy with all the features its has, doesn't require any mods.

The best ride in the current market.
Old 27th October 2009, 10:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Just perfect. Cant have a better test drive. Best drive and best conditions.

Congratulations and all the best.

for the FE dont expect any thing more than 9-10 in Jaipur traffic. On highway, a decent drive at around 80-100 can fetch you up to 14. but normal highway drives at around 120-140 will fetch you somewhere around 12-13.

The last missing thing on this car was a set of Michelin. Bingo, all the wishes in the wish list Fulfilled!

Also where exactly is the track in Jaipur. I am planning to go to Jaisalmer via Jaipur in November. So why not have add some more FUN to the Journey.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 27th October 2009 at 10:56.
Old 27th October 2009, 11:01   #8
BHPian

Pity the poor soul picking up that ripped piece.
Old 27th October 2009, 11:13   #9
BHPian

I was also of the opinion that the FE in city conditions whether Jaipur or Pune, will be around a 9 or 10, highway drives will be pure bliss . The biggest decision impacting point was that its a petrol engine, my daily / monthly running isnt much, its only daily drive to office and once a quarter highway run.

Thanks, will update once the machine is delivered, hopefully it'll be a black one.
Old 27th October 2009, 11:19   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
That's a wise & quick decision. It will never let down as long as you rip, its either way if you don't.
Happy with all the features its has, doesn't require any mods.

The best ride in the current market.
OT: your Alto seems to have a remote BOOT opener, Did it come standard ? because the present variants doesnt have this. I could've thought about it and still can. I may or maynot exchange the Alto for the Cedia depending on the valuation the dealer gives me.
Old 27th October 2009, 13:59   #11
VMG
BHPian

I am enjoying every moment of my car for the last 24 months.
Car is great in all aspects. Go ahead, enjoy & safe driving.
Old 27th October 2009, 17:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Be Ceduced for ever, mate...
by the way, Have you tried to use the SATNAV thingie? Did you check out the ICE?
Old 27th October 2009, 17:39   #13
BHPian

Since the car wasnt through the PDI, they didnt touch the SAT NAV, but I definitely tried the ICE and it was good, not the very best but definitely good. The SAT NAV comes loaded with 440 detailed city maps for India, as told by the sales guy.
Old 27th October 2009, 18:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks mate. Post some pics. We would have loved a video with you and Cedia Sports on that Track.
Are you taking it with or without stickers?

I have done 13k on my Cedia in last 2 years and most of them on the pot-holes of Chennai southern suburbs, without much reducing speed, while other cars were crawling over and let the suspension do its full job. And so far no complaints. Of course, after 8 months of roughing it up,there were some rattles from inside the boot, but the Dealer (Then ACT) fixed them all during next service and it's silent again.
Congratulations.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2009, 21:05   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
A bit surprising, but the salespersons in Bangalore or Chennai don't seem to have any information about Michelins or tweaked suspensions.

Last edited by CBlazer : 27th October 2009 at 21:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks