Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2009, 17:37   #31
BHPian

Congrats herculesksp! You have a nice writing style too. I enjoyed reading your experience.

I have heard from the few (selected VIPs) who own a Saffire that they are getting excellent mileage. Unfortunately since this is not their biggest selling engine not many knows it.

Also, if I might ask, what is this lease deal you mentioned? Is it something from your company or just outside private shops? The reason that I am asking is that, I need a car soon. Do not have budget for new one. Found out that registering a used one for a non-local is a complete nightmare with the local guys. They need rationcard/passport and God knows what with my current address. Perhaps this leasing is an option for me.

Finally, take care of your 'baby'. Although from the posts seems like I do not have to mention it!
Old 24th November 2009, 18:25   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
Congrats herculesksp! You have a nice writing style too. I enjoyed reading your experience.
Thanks for the compliments Trapezio

Quote:
I have heard from the few (selected VIPs) who own a Saffire that they are getting excellent mileage. Unfortunately since this is not their biggest selling engine not many knows it.
Yup, I found Safire quite good with very good driveability, but like you said not many know about this engine since all the hype is over the QJD only. In fact the hype is such that almost every stranger that I have met, attenders at petrol bunks, people at parking lots etc., first comment about the car's fuel efficiency. Immediately, I correct them that it is not the diesel, but is a petrol engined one.

Quote:
Also, if I might ask, what is this lease deal you mentioned? ... Perhaps this leasing is an option for me.
This is a leasing arrangement that my company has with a leasing company. The leasing company leases the car to my company and my company lets me drive the car as my own. In simple words, this is how it works. The silver lining is that while I pay an EMI, I am paid petrol allowance by my company along with the road tax and year on year insurance. The leasing company in turn takes car of the regular servicing of the car for the next 4 years. So it is as good as I am just a driver.

You can read more about leases on this thread on this very forum -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...etter-you.html
Old 24th November 2009, 20:14   #33
BHPian

The Dash, Illuminated

Some views from the rear middle seat.

The Dash with the electricals switched off, but the interior lights on
Name:  P1050106.JPG
Views: 2222
Size:  69.6 KB

The Dash with the key inserted and the steering lock opened
I give you Pista - My Tata Indica Vista-p1050107.jpg

The Dash with the headlamps turned on
I give you Pista - My Tata Indica Vista-p1050111.jpg

I tried to take a photo of all the tell-tale lights illuminated, but it was tough to reach over, turn on the electricals and pop back into the rear seat and take a shot. Even with the camera pre-focussed. I either need a remote shutter release, or I need someone to be sitting in the front seat turning on the electricals. The car is so huge that it makes it very tough to reach over to the key from the rear seat.

Last edited by herculesksp : 24th November 2009 at 20:16.
Old 24th November 2009, 21:22   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
The car is so huge that it makes it very tough to reach over to the key from the rear seat.

Yupp, it definitely is a CAR rather than the sardine cans that are sold by Jap/Korean Marques in that price range.

Great choice and enjoy your ride.
Old 25th November 2009, 09:57   #35
BHPian

Thanks. I will explore this lease option. I have an intricate situation of a new car, potential shifting and totally unscrupulous RTO.

What happened to the issues listed? Still on?
Old 25th November 2009, 11:42   #36
BHPian

@Trapezio: Yup, issues are still present. I am constantly adding each issue that I find to my list so that I can get it resolved once and for all during the first service.
Old 25th November 2009, 14:18   #37
BHPian

[quote=herculesksp;1557996]
Also had a bad incident today morning when a nincompoop on a SX4 brushed against my Vista. Luckily only the mirror cracked against each other. My mirror folded in and thankfully my windows were down and the glass from the mirror fell inside and not on the road. Nothing broke. I pressed it back into place and went on my way fuming. The other car didnt even stop to take a look. Went to office and had a look at the mirror. There were no damages. quote]

No offense meant, but am sharing a small incident here. One of my friends had to undergo multiple surgeries in his eye because of the ORVM glass shattering and going right into his eyes during such an incident at moderate speeds. So i would advice people to roll up the window more than 50% so that glass does not come in if something goes wrong.

Congrats on the new car. I am sure it would bring smiles to anybody who has used it. Here, the operative word is "used" and not "driven". Because in due course, the car gets better and the smiles get more frequent.

Congrats once again, Sir !!!
Old 25th November 2009, 14:43   #38
BHPian

@@DieselAddikt

Funny! I just replaced the mirrors on my regular bike. Omni ran wide on the highway and shattered the right mirror. Each small piece came like mini missiles. Lucky had a good helmet with proper visor (and down; often I lift the visor up for the breeze). Otherwise I hate to think the result..

Till this happened never even thought of such a danger!
Old 25th November 2009, 15:24   #39
BHPian

Thank God you had the visor down. This is such a small thing that almost everybody realizes it only after something similar happens. I would like the mods to put this point somewhere more prominent so that everybody comes to know about it. It can definitely save us from injuries.
Old 25th November 2009, 21:01   #40
BHPian

@DieselAddikt: Gosh, that was a real bad one. Lucky nothing like that happened in my case and the glass was intact without even a scratch. I guess its like the impact beams of the car. The impact beam will crumple upon impact before it is transferred to the passenger compartment. Many a times, there will be extensive damage to the car, but the occupants would have escaped unscathed.

Maybe, this mirror incident is similar. The glass dislodged itself from the mirror frame before it could break due to the impact. This way the glass never shatters upon impact, but just loosens and falls off. The only thing that could break is the mirror frame. But yes, one has to be careful of shards from that as well.

@Trapezio: Good save mate. Thankfully the visor was down.

I also remember one incident in my Tempo Traveller. The back of a BMTC bus, which was right up against the temp, brushed against the mirror when the BMTC took a sharp turn. The mirror of the TT folded forward and snapped back with such a force that the glass shattered and even came in till the last row of seats through the drivers window. It hit a couple of girls in the front seat, but luckily there was no damage to anyone.
Old 25th November 2009, 21:34   #41
BHPian

Hey Nice review & it was a fabulous write up!!

Keep it up...
Old 28th November 2009, 23:34   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
I wouldn't be so confident that I am trespassing onto QJD territory, but considering that I was expecting only around 10kmpl given my roads and the bulk of this car, this was quite was a surprising revelation.
My sister wants to buy the Vista Safire Aura. Same colour! I had a couple of questions for you
1) Is it an easy car to drive for a lady.
2) How is the pick-up like
Old 29th November 2009, 02:16   #43
BHPian

That was a very nice write up. I was more inlcined towards the Quadrajet Engine of Vista. Can you confirm whats your FE in Cities as well as on Long trips?
Old 29th November 2009, 10:07   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai Narayan View Post
Hey Nice review & it was a fabulous write up!!
Keep it up...
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
My sister wants to buy the Vista Safire Aura. Same colour! I had a couple of questions for you
1) Is it an easy car to drive for a lady.
2) How is the pick-up like
1) Whether it is an easy car for a lady depends on how much driving experience she has. If she is used to driving and can drive any non Maruti 800 type car, then she can drive the Vista very easily. For example, my wife who 'can' drive an 800 is very scared to test drive the Vista since she can't see the bonnet of the car. Basically the Vista gives you that big car feel and you have to judge where the car is more than see where the car is.

Otherwise, it is a very smooth car. The steering is a bit heavier than ones like i10, Estilo etc., but it is still a power steering. Plus, it has height adjustable seats and tilt steering which should let ladies get into a very comfortable driving position.

2) Pick up is quite decent if you drive like how they have asked you to drive in the first 1000kms. It is not all that slow. However, if you are willing to push the RPM to the redline(at least above 2500), then it has some very good pickup. The control at high speeds is also very inspiring. On paper, the engine has similar power as the i10 irde engine, but I prefer the gear ratios on the Vista.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbourne View Post
That was a very nice write up. I was more inlcined towards the Quadrajet Engine of Vista. Can you confirm whats your FE in Cities as well as on Long trips?
I really haven't measured the FE separately in City and on Highway. I am not sure if I can do that very effectively. I drive 5kms in the city each day and when I take it out on weekends, I drive minimum 50kms a day. So if I go to the bunk and ask them to top up a car that has driven only about 20kms(to check my in city FE), I am afraid they will kick me out. []

My friend has a QJD however, and he says that he gets an average FE of around 17 on a regular basis.
Old 29th November 2009, 11:48   #45
Senior - BHPian

Hey Kuku,
Congrats! A warm welcome to Pista.
Never knew you were on TBHP.
Anyway, please click more pictures and share. You could park Pista somewhere in campus and click more pictures.
Let me know when you bring it to office.
Cheers,
Deepak

Most Viewed