Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2009, 21:22   #1
BHPian

I give you Pista - My Tata Indica Vista

The first post will be a background and history of my purchase decision upto the point I purchased the car. The second post will be my driving experience yesterday after getting delivery of the car. Mods, I know two back to back posts is not good, but do consider this for the sake of improving readability. I have enough content to cover two posts.

After many a decision, confusion and frustration, yesterday was finally the day for exhilaration and satisfaction. I have in my possession my Gala Red, Tata India Vista Aura Safire.

The story so far.
1) I sold my previously owned M800.
2) I broke my head on what car to buy. Was specifically torn between A-Star(which was vetoed by my family), Ritz(which was vetoed by my budget), and i10(which was vetoed by me when I made my final decision)
3) I took a test drive of a car which was never in the question and ended up booking it.
4) After a couple of days of delay, I got the car that I had booked and drove it around town.

I had decided to buy a new car, so I had to sell off my existing car. It was a M800 in a superb condition and every service rep and car dealer that I met kept telling me that it is in a great condition. The final service rep even went to the extent of telling me not to sell the car and wanted me to sell the car to his TrueValue. However, a friend wanted the car and I had decided to give it to him.

Then I had to take the tough step of buying a new car. Making the decision was the hardest as I had to choose something that will keep me happy for the next few years and beyond. A car is a long term investment as far as I am concerned and I had to be happy with it in all respects. The simplest decision that I took which helped me immensely was to avoid the older and perpetually running models, and soon to be phased out models. It was only the new cars (within 1-2 years old in the world market) for me. I loved the A-Star and I still do, however it is a one-person or a max 2-person car. It is not a family car and everyone else in my family didn't like it much. I don't disagree with that, but if you want a car for only your individual driving pleasure, then the A-Star is the best bet. Then it was Ritz in my radar. I liked the looks and everyone else in my family too liked the looks. However, the features that I wanted were there only on the top end ZXI model and that was stretching my budget a little too much. So I had to give it a miss. The final car on my shortlist, due to its immense popularity, was the i10. There is nothing wrong with the car, but then there was nothing that impressed me as well. It is a nice, well rounded package, but that's it.

Then, just for the sake of it, I decided to test drive the Indica Vista. Many a T-BHPian suggested the Vista to me, but I was not too keen on a Tata car. However, since I was taking the car through a lease policy, maintenance was not on my priority, and the Vista dropped into my radar. All I had to do was take a test drive and my decision would be sealed. The smooth drive, the space, the feel good factor, were all in favor of me buying this car. I just had to get the maintenance part out of my head and the i10 too dropped out. I did not care much for the negative image of the Indica brand name and so that didn't influence my decision much.

Finally, I went ahead and booked the car. I showed the car to my wife and she liked it. I couldn't show it to my parents, but I did point out a few Vista's on the road to them and they were not unhappy with it. I preferred the black and red colors, but mom didn't want a black car, so we decided to book the red. Plus the booking time for the black car was around 3 weeks, whereas the red was available immediately. So we went with the Gala Red car. Again, we decided to take the petrol version as I don't plan on driving around too much and the petrol engine too is a Fiat engine, and I trust Fiat to deliver high quality engines.

So after 1-2 weeks of paper work and processing work in office to get the lease underway, the booking was made with Concorde Motors at Dairy Circle and I was then waiting impatiently for my car. The wait was made worse thanks to my broken leg and being handicapped without a car. I couldn't drive the bike or walk around much with my injury.

I spoke with the dealers and I was in touch with 3 people at Concorde. All 3 were very nice and I had a nice discussion with them regarding the delivery and the accessories and freebies on the car. The car was then promised to me on Monday, however it was delayed due to some registration issues with RTO. I didn't want it on Tuesday, so they said they would deliver to me on Wednesday. I was expecting it on Wednesday as I had some work in the evening for which I wanted to use the car. However I was in for a bad day. The managers and sales reps supposedly had some training on Wednesday, about the new Manza, and it was very tough to get anyone on the phone. When I got through to them, I was not getting enough information from them. For a long time they seemed to be polishing the car and finally it was supposed to be delivered in the evening. I didn't want the car in the evening and I said I would take the delivery the next day morning.

So, yesterday morning I went there and they had the car ready. They took some time to explain all the details about the car and the documents and papers and manuals that they were handing over to me. They were very cordial and nice and after about 30-40 mins of explaining, and being given a box of chocolates, car perfume and a Ganesha, I was shown to my car. Along with the car was also included, floor mats, bumper mats(or whatever they call those hanging things behind the tires), car cover and sun film as part of the deal.

The guys at Concorde were very nice upto the point of embarrassing us. First they took a photo of me and the car (my wife was too embarrassed to pose with the car) and within a few minutes, they handed over a print of the photo neatly framed in a glass frame. Also, I think the entire staff were waiting at the exit in a neat line and starting clapping and congratulating as we drove out. It was so embarrassing when they were doing that, but it is definitely one thing that I will remember always.

I give you Pista - My Tata Indica Vista-20091030-06.54.12.jpg

So finally I had a Vista in my possession and the car was in for a lot of usage in the day ahead. A report on my initial feelings follows.
Old 30th October 2009, 21:37   #2

Congrats Herculesksp. Excellent choice and hope to see some more pics.
Old 30th October 2009, 21:39   #3
BHPian

Pista Ice Cream

The first hitch was doing the usual pooja for the car. The priest at Concorde was late as he was in some hospital supposedly, so we decided to take it to a temple ourselves. We visited one in Koramangala. I first went to a nearby petrol bunk and added the free 5 litres of petrol, then I asked them to top up the fuel tank and paid for it. We then drove to a temple navigating through the myriad of one ways and found ourselves at the temple band at closing time. Luckily they had the time to do one last pooja before closing the temple for the afternoon. After the rituals, it was time for lunch and we decided to go to the Output at Maratahalli for lunch. So we drove all the way over the ring road from Koramangala to Maratahalli and had some yummy Masala Dosa and Strawberry milkshake there. Then I wanted to go to HOSMAT to get my knee checked. So it was another long drive to HOSMAT. Then I had some work at Jayanagar and drove down there. Finally it was late evening by the time I headed back home to Whitefield. En route, I got the chance to drive the car through all forms of traffic including empty roads on the ring road at noon, city roads in Koramangala, bumper to bumper traffic at Sarjapur signal and also got to drive in the day time and at night. It was a good experience and I got a good feel of the car. So here are my observations about the car.

I give you Pista - My Tata Indica Vista-20091029-12.26.57.jpg
  • The car is simply huge. It might not feel so in wide roads but in narrow road with cars parked on either side it is a tough task, especially for one upgrading from a M800.
  • The car is very comfy and very silent when all windows are rolled up. Vibrations are almost absent and the car feels very smooth. When at signals, I have to be aware of whether the engine is running of off as it is that silent and smooth inside.
  • I am still trying to find a good driving position on the car. It has too many things to play around with – height adjustable seats, tilt adjustable steering and a whole lot of leg room with the seats pushed back.
  • The odo read around 30 when I took delivery and I thought it was the temperate reading as it was right next to the C of the temperate gauge. It was only when the reading when to 79 that I realized it was the odo and I was unnecessarily pressing a lot of buttons and searching for it.
  • I drove on some bad roads and the suspension handled itself very well. The ride was not at all comfortable and I could feel the car more smooth and well sprung when compared to my previous M800.
  • The instrument cluster when lit up , looks awesome. Being in the center, it is irritating when I need to have a look, but then it is also less distracting as it is not in front of my face. Have to get used to the controls (a/c, music, etc.) on the dash so that I can operate it without taking my eyes off the road.
  • The stereo is quite good and the audio quality is acceptable. It holds high bass at high volumes without breaking and I think this is enough. I felt the radio reception was iffy and not really powerful, but then I need to compare this with other cars. I have to still get some good songs on a CD or USB and test out the stereo.
  • Mom felt the rear seat very comfortable and nice and felt it was good enough to sleep in. Dad too liked the car, though he is never vocal about any of these things. But I am sure neither expected such a fine car from Tata.
  • Showed it to my friends at office today morning and they too liked the car a lot. Everyone were impressed by the sheer space and they even loved the looks and color of the car. Makes me feel all the more happy that I didn't make a bad decision. The best part is that mine is the only Vista in office and everyone passing/walking by it, stops to have a look.
Other than these perspective, some of the issues I faced are
  • The first thing I noticed in the car was the leftmost A/C vent was not seated properly in the slot. When I told the sales rep, he said that they will fix it in the first service and it just needed some pressing in. Today I realized that the vent inside itself was damaged and it was not just the outer grille. I have to get this rectified soon.
  • The clutch feels a little rough. While depressing and releasing, I can feel the clutch grinding against the flywheel. Is this the characteristic of new clutches and will this smooth out over time, or is this the signs of a worn out clutch?
  • The headlight is not properly aligned and I don't find any difference turning the headlight leveller knob. Will adjusting the leveller not show any difference in the throw of the headlight? Also the right side high beam bulb seems to have fused and I have to get this checked soon.
  • The reflectors on the indicators are crazy and actually was projecting the orange light high up to the trees. Quite powerful and I hope it is not too blinding from the front.
  • When I turn the headlight knob beyond the ON position, it has some relief and turns just that little bit. However then, the light switch off and comes back on when I release the knob. I suppose it is some build/wiring issue, but I think I can use it to my advantage as a sort of more intense light flasher.
  • There is a funny plastic strip at the front of the car below the body. This keeps touching the ground especially when I am entering my home, as there is a sharp slope. What is this thing and why is it protruding out so low?
  • I am finding it quite tough to bring the car through my gates. The entry is quite narrow and at a funny angle and I just cant see the ends of the bonnet. On the 800, I could see almost every inch of the car and could easily squeeze in between narrow places and especially tight turns. On the Vista, I am finding it tough. The car is so huge from where I am seated that let alone judging the car correctly, I can't even drop my head out of the window and see where the car ends. I was literally hanging out the window, like Odie and Garfield, and I still couldn't see the tires inside the huge tyrewell. I hope I get adjusted to this soon enough without damaging any part of the car.
I give you Pista - My Tata Indica Vista-20091029-12.28.18.jpg

I am waiting for the Autocop keyless entry system to arrive at the showroom. They have got it only for Indigo it seems, but not for Vista. Once that comes, I will take it there for fixing and hopefully then I will also get the aircon and the light fixed.

Also had a bad incident today morning when a nincompoop on a SX4 brushed against my Vista. Luckily only the mirror cracked against each other. My mirror folded in and thankfully my windows were down and the glass from the mirror fell inside and not on the road. Nothing broke. I pressed it back into place and went on my way fuming. The other car didnt even stop to take a look. Went to office and had a look at the mirror. There were no damages. I wiped the part which took the impact, which was slightly dull, with my hands and it started shining again revealing no scratches or damage. Phew.

Will upload more pics of the car when I get some nice place to do a photo shoot. Also will update with more details of my driving experience as I get more points and make more observations.
Old 30th October 2009, 22:11   #4
BHPian

congrats!!

Congrats on your new tata vista. On red, it looks awesome. You did the right choice. It is truly one of the best family hatch on the road.
Old 30th October 2009, 22:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Mate!
Couldnt read everything as had to leave for home but will do so soon.

Enjoy and drive safe
Old 30th October 2009, 22:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. That's an awesome color. What your your OTR price? Are they running any special discount schemes?
Old 30th October 2009, 22:53   #7
BHPian

Congratualtion on your purchase. Can you please post some more pics from inside and of the engine bay.
Great color choice though.
Old 30th October 2009, 22:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

congrats mate.the red colour looks awesome. good choice.
Old 30th October 2009, 23:00   #9
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Congrats

Hi Herculesksp,

Congrats on the new buy. Good choice and very informative thread. After owning a Maruti for years, i think it is going to be a little tough to own a TATA vehicle as you would feel a definite difference in the quality of parts and service. Wish you good luck. My few cents in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
[*]The car is simply huge. It might not feel so in wide roads but in narrow road with cars parked on either side it is a tough task, especially for one upgrading from a M800.
Hey.. What did you expect? You bought a Vista and not a Nano

[*]The instrument cluster when lit up , looks awesome. Being in the center, it is irritating when I need to have a look, but then it is also less distracting as it is not in front of my face. Have to get used to the controls (a/c, music, etc.) on the dash so that I can operate it without taking my eyes off the road.
Yes, the Central Dash has its own advantages and disadvantages. As you have put it rightly, you would get used to it very soon

[*]Mom felt the rear seat very comfortable and nice and felt it was good enough to sleep in. Dad too liked the car, though he is never vocal about any of these things. But I am sure neither expected such a fine car from Tata.
"Priceless"

[*]The first thing I noticed in the car was the leftmost A/C vent was not seated properly in the slot. When I told the sales rep, he said that they will fix it in the first service and it just needed some pressing in. Today I realized that the vent inside itself was damaged and it was not just the outer grille. I have to get this rectified soon.
Get it repaired/replaced asap. As you had lot of time, the Team-bhp Check-list could have helped

[*]The clutch feels a little rough. While depressing and releasing, I can feel the clutch grinding against the flywheel. Is this the characteristic of new clutches and will this smooth out over time, or is this the signs of a worn out clutch?
Should not happen. Please get it checked with the service advisor immediately. Ask for a test drive in another Vista and see if you experience the same roughness

[*]When I turn the headlight knob beyond the ON position, it has some relief and turns just that little bit. However then, the light switch off and comes back on when I release the knob. I suppose it is some build/wiring issue, but I think I can use it to my advantage as a sort of more intense light flasher.
Typical TATA. Get the combination switch changed, as you could blow the fuse due to this.

[*]I am finding it quite tough to bring the car through my gates. The entry is quite narrow and at a funny angle and I just cant see the ends of the bonnet. On the 800, I could see almost every inch of the car and could easily squeeze in between narrow places and especially tight turns. On the Vista, I am finding it tough. The car is so huge from where I am seated that let alone judging the car correctly, I can't even drop my head out of the window and see where the car ends. I was literally hanging out the window, like Odie and Garfield, and I still couldn't see the tires inside the huge tyrewell. I hope I get adjusted to this soon enough without damaging any part of the car.
Try reversing into your compound. I am sure it would be easier to maneuver the car into narrow spaces

Also had a bad incident today morning when a nincompoop on a SX4 brushed against my Vista. Luckily only the mirror cracked against each other. My mirror folded in and thankfully my windows were down and the glass from the mirror fell inside and not on the road. Nothing broke. I pressed it back into place and went on my way fuming. The other car didnt even stop to take a look. Went to office and had a look at the mirror. There were no damages. I wiped the part which took the impact, which was slightly dull, with my hands and it started shining again revealing no scratches or damage. Phew.
That is quite a relief. Hope this is the first and last incident with the new Vista.

Will upload more pics of the car when I get some nice place to do a photo shoot. Also will update with more details of my driving experience as I get more points and make more observations.
Interior photos would be very interesting.
Treat your car with a set of nicely designed alloys + wider tyres. This would give your car a meaty look.
Old 30th October 2009, 23:00   #10
BHPian

Congrats buddy,

I am suprised that TATA motors still cant do a good PDI. I had very similar experience when I picked my Indica way back in '02. I think they never deliver a car with zero gliches. Something or the other needs to go wrong with TATA car's. I understand your feelings when a brand new vehicle has some issues, however minor they are, and to top it the usual phrase " we will rectify in the first service" these guys will never change.

Anyways, the car looks awesome, especially the colour.
Old 30th October 2009, 23:43   #11
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Guess, this is a novel way to develop a closer relationship with customers.

On the other hand, TATA should realize that they are losing face and a great chunk of money by replacing so many parts under warranty.
Old 30th October 2009, 23:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Nice review buddy! The vista is a great, practical choice.

The car looks great in red - looking forward to more photos.

Quote:
bumper mats(or whatever they call those hanging things behind the tires)
Aha. You mean mudguards!

PS: get some cool alloys, they'll look great. Check out fellow bhpian Bouncer's vista: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1299997-post61.html

cheers
Old 30th October 2009, 23:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

I expected green since you called it Pista but red looks fantastic anyway
Old 31st October 2009, 01:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the new car, herkuleskp. She looks beautiful.

Could you please share the OTR price for the car and the discounts you got, if possible?

Please keep updating this thread. I will be a regular visitor on this thread as I am looking at buying the Vista Safire, early next year.
Old 31st October 2009, 02:05   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
bumper mats(or whatever they call those hanging things behind the tires)
Exact word for that is Mud Flaps.

Your queries below are answered inline in bold...
Quote:
  • The headlight is not properly aligned and I don't find any difference turning the headlight leveller knob. Will adjusting the leveller not show any difference in the throw of the headlight? Also the right side high beam bulb seems to have fused and I have to get this checked soon.
First of all when you say not aligned do you mean that the height of the beams from the two lamps are going skywards? If so the leveller should help. However for that you need to park the car some 5-8 feet away from the wall and switch on the headlights. If the beam looks high use the leveller. You will see a difference now. However it can only do that much. Essentially the leveller is only meant for balancing out the extra load at the rear which may cause the beam to go a little high. If you think that it is not solving the issue you should take it to the TASS and ask them to adjust the beam throw correctly. When adjusted properly in an empty car (no payload) the high beam should go straight ahead in-line with the bonnet and no higher.
  • When I turn the headlight knob beyond the ON position, it has some relief and turns just that little bit. However then, the light switch off and comes back on when I release the knob. I suppose it is some build/wiring issue, but I think I can use it to my advantage as a sort of more intense light flasher.
I am not sure I understood it correctly. However, ask the TASS guys to rectify it. They will do the switchgear replacement under warranty if needed.
  • There is a funny plastic strip at the front of the car below the body. This keeps touching the ground especially when I am entering my home, as there is a sharp slope. What is this thing and why is it protruding out so low?
That is the scrape guard seen in most european cars. Tata has started providing that in it's latest cars (even Manza has it). Its purpose is to do exactly what you described it does. When you try to get on to a sudden sharp slope that scrape guard protects the bumper overhang from scraping the ground and this saves it from a paint peel off.
  • I am finding it quite tough to bring the car through my gates. The entry is quite narrow and at a funny angle and I just cant see the ends of the bonnet. On the 800, I could see almost every inch of the car and could easily squeeze in between narrow places and especially tight turns. On the Vista, I am finding it tough. The car is so huge from where I am seated that let alone judging the car correctly, I can't even drop my head out of the window and see where the car ends. I was literally hanging out the window, like Odie and Garfield, and I still couldn't see the tires inside the huge tyrewell. I hope I get adjusted to this soon enough without damaging any part of the car.
That is something you will have to come out of. Except for the Marutis I have rarely seen a car (not SUVs, MUVs etc) in which you can see the full car from the driver's perch. The trick is to learn fast about the length and breadth of the car. Stand a little away from your car on one side and watch it closely. Make a mental map of the length of the bonnet. Also watch the body panels closely. They have some flare unlike your previous M800 which had more or less straight panels. Now when you are sitting in the driver's seat once again recall that brain map you stored of the bonnet. Imagine in general how long the car is beyond the windscreen base which is what you can see. This will help you in maintaining a safe distance from a vehicle ahead. A general thumb rule that helps you is to keep inching ahead just till you can not see anymore the rear bumper of the car ahead. That is when it is safe to stop.
Also remember that the body panels have some flare. So where you see the side window glasses is not where your cars side extends upto but it does a little more. This is important as many people end up scraping the doors in a tight squeeze situation because they negate the body panel flares. An important lesson is to keep the ORVMs open. It is supposed to remain that way and not meant to be kept folded. It is an important ally. When in doubt peer at the passenger side rear view mirror. It will tell you how close you are to anything else next to your car. It also tells you the minimum distance that you must keep from the next car or the pillar.
Finally instead of hanging out of the window (a la Odie or Garfield) get into the habit of using the 3 mirrors while negotiating tight curves and turns around pillars and other objects. You will find that helps you get past most tight fit situations easily. Also, when you hang out you do not realize but your car starts pulling to one side, mostly the side you are hanging out of. This happens because of the body angle which inadvertently makes you turn the steering towrds you. That can be dangerous. Mirrors are the way to go.
Happy driving. We hope to catch up with your experiences with your Vista a lot more on this thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks