Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2009, 15:56   #1

One more Silver Punto(pics guaranteed)

Before I start, my heartfelt thanks to Team-BHP, its founders, moderators, early adopters and active members. You guys made my first car experience an unforgettable one.

I’m not much into motoring, but have driven Omni, Santro and a Swift a couple of times… not more than 1000km put together. I know the existence of this forum, but dint had the need to visit often. Once I decided to buy a car, I opted for the membership and the first post I read was GTO’s Punto test drive reports. Spent a couple of days reading the rest of the hatchback posts, few visits to all showrooms, a couple of test drives… and finally made my mind for a Punto, mostly influenced by GTO’s final verdict in his review.

But my buying experience was not a cakewaIk. I work in Chennai, my hometown is a 500km away, a village called Sirumugai, in Nilgiris foothills. Few roads around my village are not public, they are either owned by the Forest Department or EB department. Having a local number is almost a must to use these roads. So I had this limitation, to buy a car in Chennai (to ease the loan process since I work here) and to register it in my hometown (to enjoy those scenic roads when I go there).

The Diwali offer came in place, and I made my booking at Concorde, Velacherry, Chennai for a Bosa Nova White, Emotion pack Diesel (on15th Oct). To avail the Diwali offer, the only condition I was told was ‘to complete the payment formalities before the offer end date’. Applied for a loan with Axis bank, and made sure the verification process is all in track. On 23rd Oct, almost 8 days after my booking (and a day before the offer end date) Concorde Sales guys told me that they cannot deliver White color since its not out from the factory yet, and I’ve to go with the Blue color as that’s the only available stock which they can invoice before the offer period. Had a fight with the Corp Sales manager, and he offered two more color choices. I went with the Medium Grey. Now its Axis banks turn to screw my life. On the offer end date, The Axis bank representative told me that the loan would be sanctioned only if it’s a Chennai registration (not a temp registration), though I’ve told my requirements clearly upfront.

Being frustrated by the incompetent and poorly informed sales guys, I cancelled the booking as the offer got ended. It’s a 24k diff, so I was particular about that. Luckily, got to know that the offer was extended for a week more. Decided to book it at Coimbatore (my nearest dealer from my Hometown) Tafe Access. But I had limited time as I’ve to travel from Chennai, and complete all the booking and loan formalities in 4 days time.

Meanwhile, I mailed a complaint to the Zonal officer of Axis bank about my frustration of wasting 7 days. Got a call from the Bank’s customer care the immediate next day morning, and I was promised that the loan would be processed quickly even if I apply freshly at Coimbatore Axis branch.

Made my booking on 28th Oct 11.00am at Tafe Access Coimbatore, a Minimal Grey (Dad’s choice), went to the bank at 1.00pm with all my documents, signed the loan application form. The credit manager made sure everything is going smooth. He said that he would give an update at 5.00pm, so asked us to be around. At 5.30pm, we went there, and got a surprise that the loan has been approved, and asked us to sign the loan agreement so that he can send the DD to the dealer on the same day and the car can be delivered on the next day. That’s neat and quick. A complete loan approval process from scratch in plain 5 hours.

Lessons learnt:
  • Never trust the sales person completely. Talk to some senior people and get everything in a written format, preferably an email.
  • When things go wrong, go that extra leap and make sure you address your grievance.
  • The credit manager told me that it’s a good practice to walk into the bank and communicate directly with the manager to avail the best from a bank.
Finally took the car 2 days later, left her at home and came back to Chennai for work. Got to complete the RTO formalities as the registration has to happen in a different place. Went home on the weekend to see my newly found love and to feel her. Drove 250kms in the last 2 days in spite of the rains. All I can say is, driving a Punto is an experience!

Since I’m a newbie to owning a car, I appreciate any advice on some basic maintenance tips and things to take care in a diesel engine, preferably from Punto MJD owners. Also the default music system is OK for me, but can I just add an woofer to it?

The pics will do the talking of how much I love the new Italian beauty. Feel free to use however you want it. I hope the mods feel ok in using the TeamBHP logo in the pics. Once I get her to Chennai, I will shoot some completely urbanized pics. Happy motoring!

One more Silver Punto(pics guaranteed)-puntomjd_teambhp_backview.jpg
One more Silver Punto(pics guaranteed)-puntomjd_teambhp_sideview.jpg
One more Silver Punto(pics guaranteed)-puntomjd_teambhp_cloudbg.jpg
One more Silver Punto(pics guaranteed)-puntomjd_teambhp_features.jpg
One more Silver Punto(pics guaranteed)-puntomjd_teambhp_dash.jpg
One more Silver Punto(pics guaranteed)-puntomjd_teambhp_halfcut.jpg
One more Silver Punto(pics guaranteed)-puntomjd_teambhp_sideview_ps.jpg
Old 10th November 2009, 16:25   #2

contd...

The car OTR after discounts came to 6.63L around. The discounts include free Insurance, free extended warranty, and a corporate discount of 8k. Mudflaps and Doormats are from the dealer.
My phone is HTC Magic, powered by Android. Since OBEX is not natively supported by the OS, I installed a Bluetooth File transfer app from the market (by medeival software) and it connected seamlessly with Blue & Me including the Phonebook data. I havent tried the Message reader to work, but will keep it posted here.
Old 10th November 2009, 16:29   #3
BHPian

congrats!! nice pics. BTW, havent you tried to get white in your second attempt where you had some more time?
Old 10th November 2009, 16:38   #4
BHPian

love the pictures, insane ride. the urbanized surroundings are something we are used to so post more pics from ur hometown, it looks breathtaking being located in the nilgiris.

i would get contrasting share of tints to it, look up V Kool for the sides and pick up 3 M for the front windshield. keep her looking bright!
Old 10th November 2009, 16:39   #5
BHPian

The pics are very well taken! Which DSLR and lens did you use?

Oh, and congrats on the new Punto.
Old 10th November 2009, 16:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!
Wish you happy and safe motoring!

Btw, those are some amazing photos!
Old 10th November 2009, 16:47   #7
BANNED

First of all congratulations for the car, pics are absolutely beauty full, looks like professional job.
How these beauties brings out best of the shooters is amazing.
Old 10th November 2009, 16:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

INSANE pictures. By god. Fiat should pay you and use those pictures
Old 10th November 2009, 17:15   #9
BHPian

Dude, you seem to have your home in one of the best places in TN. Being in Chennai, I'm sure you would miss your home very much, may this car give you the needed company!!
Old 10th November 2009, 17:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

The pics are just superb man. Congrats on the new ride. Drive safe..
Old 10th November 2009, 17:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

stunning pictures
congrtas
Old 10th November 2009, 17:35   #12
BHPian

Congrats on your new car. Those pics are stunning!

We've got too many pics in an urban environment already, I'd suggest that you take all of your cars pics in such stunning natural beauty.
Old 10th November 2009, 18:54   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
congrats!! nice pics. BTW, havent you tried to get white in your second attempt where you had some more time?
White was unreachable for me within the offer period. I have to go with either stock vehicles or in-transit ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanramesh View Post
i would get contrasting share of tints to it, look up V Kool for the sides and pick up 3 M for the front windshield. keep her looking bright!
Thankyou. I will seriously consider that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
The pics are very well taken! Which DSLR and lens did you use?

Oh, and congrats on the new Punto.
I have a Canon 350D with the default 18-55mm, a prime 50mm, Sigma 70-300mm. Most of the pics here are with 18-55.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
INSANE pictures. By god. Fiat should pay you and use those pictures
Much words. Thanks for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons View Post
First of all congratulations for the car, pics are absolutely beauty full, looks like professional job.
How these beauties brings out best of the shooters is amazing.
True. I wanted to make sure that Im capturing the beauty at its best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Dude, you seem to have your home in one of the best places in TN. Being in Chennai, I'm sure you would miss your home very much, may this car give you the needed company!!
Thankyou. Yes, I'll be using this car mostly in my hometown, and Im sure that I'll encounter unforgettable journeys with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Congrats on your new car. Those pics are stunning!

We've got too many pics in an urban environment already, I'd suggest that you take all of your cars pics in such stunning natural beauty.
Thats interesting. I will try to have one more shoot, as there're lot of unexplored forest areas nearby. Just that once in a while there'll be elephant attacks.
Old 10th November 2009, 18:55   #14
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new ride.

You may be new to driving and motoring, but i should say you are a pro in photography. Seriously, the last photo and the one in your avatar are truly amazing.

Drive safe and enjoy your new ride
Old 10th November 2009, 19:03   #15
BHPian

Congrats!! on your new ride and amazing photography , I also own same color GP MJD E+ and I am surprisingly amazed by your snaps. Enjoy the ride and drive safe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks