Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2010, 11:08   #46
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

my friend in Australia (also a TBHP member) says the same - SX4 there comes with a 2 litre petrol engine and priced/compared with Toyota Corolla Altis.
(In other words the Altis there is considerably less expensive than it is here in India.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
How big is the SX4 interior? In the US, they put a 140 bhp engine in it and its priced similar (and compared) to an Altis.
Old 17th February 2010, 13:51   #47
Senior - BHPian

Do anyone know the mileage of Sx4 AT please?
Old 17th February 2010, 14:01   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
On another note this 4 speed box in a Swift would be fantastic. I see a lot of potential in a Swift AT. Hope the guys at Maruti are reading this.
As well said as it could have been. Yes Dippy, if they are not reading this post please let us make them. Superb potential. We have 8 i10's parked at my office 4 of which are auto boxes. Tremendous potential for an AT on the Swift.
Old 18th February 2010, 08:39   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
Do anyone know the mileage of Sx4 AT please?
it will be slightly less than standard SX4, which will be around 10- 11 and also a lot depends upon driving

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 18th February 2010 at 08:41.
Old 18th February 2010, 17:12   #50
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
As well said as it could have been. Yes Dippy, if they are not reading this post please let us make them. Superb potential. We have 8 i10's parked at my office 4 of which are auto boxes. Tremendous potential for an AT on the Swift.
Bingo! If only Maruti would realise. A mass market player also needs to carve out certain niches, to keep its loyal customers within the family. Related post from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Maruti takes their own sweet time in responding to market trends. Remember their stand on diesels? They lobbied against diesel passenger cars so hard at one time.....only to adopt the "if you can't beat them, join them" line of thought eventually. With Fiat diesels. Another example : Tata, Hyundai and Chevy have already displayed their electric hatchbacks. Anything from India's largest player yet? Nope.

They still believe automatics have no future in India and that, whoever wants an automatic is happy with the WagonR. What a lousy 3 speed auto that car has! They'll come around. Hopefully not too late.
Old 18th February 2010, 20:14   #51
BHPian

SX4 AT seems like probably the most sensible of AT's out there. Reasonably priced and powered, good looks and goodies and a good service backup. Should also fetch more at resale when compared to AT's from Hyundai. I really wish if some more owners of thsi car could chip in with their experiences.
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:37   #52
Senior - BHPian

i had a experience on this car as my cousin owns it, he is more than satisfied with it, whether it is being a maruti car, low on maintenance, mileage also good around 11 and rest features are also good,
Old 1st March 2010, 14:09   #53
BHPian

Technology

Gear shifting in an AT tranny involves a host of different technologies which I frankly suspect if Suzuki and Hyundai have mastered like Honda,Toyota or GM. That way, there is a small risk involved when buying AT cars from Maruti or Hyundai.
Old 2nd March 2010, 09:44   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
Gear shifting in an AT tranny involves a host of different technologies which I frankly suspect if Suzuki and Hyundai have mastered like Honda,Toyota or GM. That way, there is a small risk involved when buying AT cars from Maruti or Hyundai.
Are you telling us that Suzuki-USA and Hyundai-USA have been selling compromised auto-transmissions all these decades? I thought it was only Maruti that was handing out their silly 3-speed AT to Indian public. I had thought they had corrected that in SX4 by bringing in the Suzuki 4-Speed AT box. Didn't know Suzuki AT was also bad.

This is a very serious problem, can you please provide the links to the history of recalls and court cases against them. I knew about the Suzuki Samurai/Sidekick rollover problem, but auto-transmission problem is news to me. I had lot of friends/colleagues in US who owned Sonata/Elantra/Tucson/Grand Vitara, but none had come across any problem with their AT box.

In fact, I have a Santro AT which will complete 7 years this July. So far no issues, touch wood. What are the general signs of trouble? Please provide some links if possible.
Old 10th July 2010, 18:12   #55
BHPian

I took a test drive of SX4 AT yesterday. The low end torque was very good and felt very comfortable driving in the land of speed breakers.

But when I took it on the highway, I felt one very odd behavior. Even though I was driving at a constant speed of 110 KM, there was some jerkiness from the engine once in a while as if some gear change is happening. The sales guy was not able to explain this behavior. I have owned automatics in the US and don't remember coming across such a phenomenon. The other people sitting in the car could also sense this.

Any comments from SX4 AT owners about this?
Old 10th July 2010, 21:05   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom76 View Post
I took a test drive of SX4 AT yesterday. The low end torque was very good and felt very comfortable driving in the land of speed breakers.

But when I took it on the highway, I felt one very odd behavior. Even though I was driving at a constant speed of 110 KM, there was some jerkiness from the engine once in a while as if some gear change is happening. The sales guy was not able to explain this behavior. I have owned automatics in the US and don't remember coming across such a phenomenon. The other people sitting in the car could also sense this.

Any comments from SX4 AT owners about this?
It was probably the torque converter locking, so that better mileage is achieved.
Old 28th July 2010, 10:18   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Some minor improvements in SX4

This is not particular to the AT model, but since there is no other open thread on generic SX4-VVT test drive, I am posting it here.

Maruti has made some more minor changes/improvements in SX4-VVT model. I have been test driving this car since the VVT was launched. I had obtained a brochure on SX4-VVT in April 2010 and I got another one now in July 2010. I noticed that the July brochure mentions two changes:

1. *New* Broader arm rest on rear seat
2. *New* Improved power steering

Since the April brochure does not mention this, these changes happened sometime between April and July.

I saw some new cars with broader arm rest, and it is really much better ergonomically. So it is a good and useful change. However, I could not test drive any car with "improved" power steering. All test drive cars are April or earlier models, so they don't have this change. I am curious to know what is the improvement in power steering and whether it is just some insignificant thing or actually a measurable improvement. However, Maruti dealers do not seem to be aware of the details.

Has anybody test driven the latest car with these changes, and if so, did you find any noticeable difference in power steering?

Thanks,
-AD
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:54   #58

Fuel Efficiency SX4 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Woohoo way to go Dippy, was waiting for a review, you got it. Just waiting for the AT FE figures too.
Hi folks,
i got a new SX4 AT, done about 700kms. It has given 9kms/litre in city driving.
The thick A pillar in front is a nuisance & blocks front(side)
Otherwise, the experience so far has been good. The car is stable, gives a solid feeling & has good driveability.
More feedback after i have driven it some more.
Kumar
Old 16th August 2011, 16:16   #59
BHPian

Re: First Drive & Impressions: Maruti SX4 Automatic (AT)

I recently went to the near by dealer looking for an SX4 AT -- was discouraged by the salesman from taking an AT. He was prodding me to go for a Petrol or Diesel MT. I am taking the office cab and the drive is 30kms one way. Since there is dearth of good diesel AT models ( the new Verna has a 9 month wait and the dealer is unwilling to book one) and the Petrol Verna is available with a wait of 45 days and is feels claustrophobic in the rear seat, I am edging towards the SX4 Petrol AT. The salesman said it would take 4-6 months of wait since its a made to order car -- can anyone corraborate if this is indeed the case with SX4 AT?
Old 10th September 2011, 12:29   #60

Re: First Drive & Impressions: Maruti SX4 Automatic (AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbhatt View Post
I recently went to the near by dealer looking for an SX4 AT -- was discouraged by the salesman from taking an AT. He was prodding me to go for a Petrol or Diesel MT. I am taking the office cab and the drive is 30kms one way. Since there is dearth of good diesel AT models ( the new Verna has a 9 month wait and the dealer is unwilling to book one) and the Petrol Verna is available with a wait of 45 days and is feels claustrophobic in the rear seat, I am edging towards the SX4 Petrol AT. The salesman said it would take 4-6 months of wait since its a made to order car -- can anyone corraborate if this is indeed the case with SX4 AT?

I am hearing this for the first time that SX4 has got waiting period. i own a SX4 AT and got in no time, basically. i am OK with the car since my daily run is ~ 35 Kms. it is fun to drive an AT in traffic conditions, but somehow i am not convinced w/ and AT vehicle on a highway. i am never comfortable to quicky rev up while overtaking... maybe its my first AT experience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks