Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2009, 22:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Xylo E8 (ABS): Spacious, feature-packed, 8-seater is here. EDIT: 340,000 km up

We wanted a MUV/SUV for Visiting Sub-Station (MSEDCL) Sites since the underbelly of both our Indigos used to get Scraped on Poor Rural Roads while visiting the MSEDCL Sites.

My dad asked me how is Mahindra Bolero and what is its price. I checked Autocar India Buyer's Guide and told him the required information. At that time his budget was 6.5 lakhs. The SLE Variant of Bolero cost around Rs.6.66Lakhs on Road, Solapur. My intention was to make my Dad buy the Top End VLX Crde Variant since it comes with Common Rail Engine as against DI Engine on lower variants. The VLX Crde cost around Rs.1lakh more over the SLE DI. So I convinced my Dad to buy the VLX Crde.

Then my Dad saw the Xylo in Autocar India and fell in love with it. Again we had confusion between the Bolero and Xylo. My dad told me to enquire about both Bolero and Xylo at the Mahindra Dealer, Gandhi Motors, Solapur.

I went to Gandhi Motors, Solapur on 22th October. I asked for the prices of Bolero SLE, Xylo (I dont remember for which Variant I asked), and Scorpio LX (the Sales Executive, Mr. Sachin Gophane was more interested in selling one than Bolero and Xylo). Also I checked the Legroom of Middle Row Seat by sitting on it and sliding the Front Seat all the way back in all three vehicles (Bolero, Scorpio, and Xylo) since my Dad would sometimes be Chauffer-driven. In Bolero and Scorpio, my knees were fouling with the Front Seats (Poor Legroom). But the Middle Row Legroom of Xylo is Fantastic. I thought I am sitting on Rear Seat of a raised Indigo. Then I asked Mr.Sachin Gophane (Sales Executive "S.E.") for a Test Drive. He flatly refused saying "Sir, the Xylos available here are all ready to be delivered the same day. So cannot give you a TD". I told him that I will discuss with my Dad and inform him about the decision.

I came back home. That afternoon my dad too went to the Gandhi Motors. The S.E. convinced my Dad for buying Xylo E8 (more commission on Top End Variant).

Next day, the S.E called me and asked for our decision. I told him we have finalised the Xylo E8 (ABS) in Lucky Lilac. He asked me to come and pay the Booking amount as early as possible so as to get the delivery at the earliest. I asked him how may days will it take to deliver the car after booking. He replied that the car will get delivered within 7-8 days after booking since the ABS Variant is not mostly bought by customers (as it costlier by Rs.22-25K over Non-ABS Variant) and also the Lucky Lilac is a very rarely sought after colour. I told him that I will book the car within 2-3 days.

Then on 26th October, I booked Mahindra Xylo E8 (ABS) Gold Shimmer (Not Lucky Lilac as decided earlier) by paying Rs.2,00,000/-. At the time of Booking, I asked them that the Mahindra Website mentions the Ex-Showroom Price of Rs.7,96,060/- then how is that you quote me Ex-Showroom Price of Rs.8,09,940/-. The S.E said "Sir, our price includes Octroi of 1.5% hence the additional Rs.12K. I told the S.E that the Registration and Insurance will be done by me. The S.E agreed and told me to pay just the Ex-Showroom Price. He assured me that the Delivery will be done within 7-8 days maximum. I strictly warned them that our Xylo should be brought by Transport and not by Driving. And before bringing the vehicle inside the Octroi Post, I wanted to do PDI so as to confirm that there is no Visible damage. The S.E agreed on this.

After 2-3 days, I called the Mahindra Xyloline and asked them how to differentiate between the Non-ABS E8 and ABS-Equipped E8 Variant externally since I did not want to get fooled by the Dealership. The person told me that there will be a Sticker of ABS (just like for E.g. Swift ZXi and Verna Top-End Variants) just below E8 Label on Rear Door.

On 31st October I called the S.E and asked whether the car has been arrived. He told me that the car would be loaded in Trailer on 1st November in Nasik and would arrive in Solapur on 2nd November. So I called again on 2nd November and I got reply that the Trailer's wheel had got stuck in a Pothole and hence the car would be brought by driving since we want urgent delivery. I told the Sales Manager, Mr. Salegaon to bring the vehicle by transport itself and not driving. He replied that it would take a lot of time to deliver the car due to the stuck Trailer. Still I told him not to bring the car driving.

That Day, I Complained about this matter to Mahindra Xyloline at 09935066006 and told them that the Dealer is bringing the car by driving despite of telling him to bring the car by transport. Incidently on the same day (in the evening), my Dad called the Dealership to ask about the Delivery Status. The dealer said to him "Sir, your son complained to Mahindra about us that we bringing the car driving instead of transport. My dad scolded me why did you complain to Xyloline. I asked my dad "Why should the Dealer bring the car driving despite of warning him not to do so?"

Then again I complained to Xyloline that because of the Dealer my dad scolded me. Then on 9th November, I got a call from S.E that our car has arrived and I can take the delivery. First I went to the Showroom and met the Sales Manager, Mr. Salegaon. I told him I want to see the car and if I be satisfied, then only I would take the delivery and that too on 11th November since my dad was out of town. He said "Sir, first you wanted the Delivery at the earliest. Now when the car has arrived, you are postponing delivery by two days". I wanted to say "We are paying the money for the car hence we will take the delivery when we want. Who are you to force us to take the delivery on the day you wish". But I just told him that I wanted to see the car. I went to their Godown outside Octroi Post and inspected the car. But to my Surprise, there was no ABS Sticker on Rear Door. There were two E8s in Gold Shimmer in the godown but none of them had the ABS Label. So I asked the S.E again whether this was really our car. He said "Sir, I will confirm with Sales Manager and inform you tomorrow". Next day (10th Nov) I was told that the car was indeed ours but does not come with the ABS Sticker on Rear Door. They showed me the ABS Kit fitted under the Bonnet (this kit was absent in other E8s). I told him that I will take the Delivery tomorrow (11th Nov) and returned.

On the same day (10th Nov), I went to Bajaj Allianz to tell them that I am taking Delivery following Day (11th Nov) and I want the final quote from them. He said "Sir, we will quote you the same amount as told by the dealer". But 8 days ago, Direct Marketing agent of Bajaj Allianz had given me a quote of Rs.19K. I told about that to the Head. He replied "Sir, that person (Direct Marketing agent) is new and does not know much. Hence he gave you wrong quote". I understood that Gandhi Motors had played a game against me since at booking time, I had told them that I will take Insurance from BA. So I left from there and went to Cholamandalam (the person there is friend of my uncle) and told him to give insurance. He agreed on Rs.18,500/-.

On 11th Nov, I went to take Delivery of our Xylo. Again to my surprise, the vehicle was not cleaned from outside as well as inside. The Exterior had water droplet stains and regarding interiors, dust was present all over dashboard. I told the Sales Manager to get the car cleaned. Only the exteriors were cleaned. Then I took the car to TD (as mentioned on Team-BHP). I turned off the Music System and AC as well to hear if any unusual noise is present.

I started the Engine. The Engine Idle Felt Smooth (from inside of the car). I engaged 1st Gear and the car pulled amazingly. The Low End Torque is Superb. The road where I took TD was uneven and I got an opportunity to check the Suspension as well. The Soft Suspension absorbed the bumps of the Roads nicely. Then I checked the Wheel Alignment (Recommendation of Team-BHP) by leaving the Steering at the Speed of 60kph. The Wheel Alignment was perfect. Then I wanted to check the ABS System. So I braked hard at speed of 70kph. I felt the vibrations from the Brake Pedal. Since this is the First Vehicle equipped with ABS, I did not know that the ABS works like this. I thought this is some manufacturing defect and asked the person accompanying me for TD about this. But He was unable to answer correctly. He said "Sir, the Brake Pedal cannot vibrate. Its just your imagination". So this is the training given to the Dealership from Mahindra & Mahindra about ABS. Then I remembered that I had read somewhere that the Brake Pedal of ABS-equipped vehicle vibrates (this is how the ABS works). So I told him that the car does not have any defect and this is the ABS which makes the Pedal Virbrate. I came back to Showroom and gave the Demand Draft of the Balance amount(Rs.6,09,940/-). But while taking Delivery, the Sales Manager said "Sir, you did not pay the Octroi fees". I replied that the S.E told me the Ex-Showroom Price covers the Octroi fees also. But the Sales Manager did not agree and told me to pay the Octroi Fees. So I had to pay Rs.12,500/- additionally. I understood that since they lost their Commission from Insurance Company (The Mahindra Dealer had quoted me Rs.27K as against my Rs.18.5K), they used this method to take out money which they lost from Bajaj Allianz.

I Request Team-BHP to take this matter to Mahindra so as to avoid Inconvenience to other Prospective Mahindra Buyers.

Thanks in Advance.
Photos of Our Xylo will be uploaded shortly.

Last edited by Eddy : 19th November 2009 at 10:30. Reason: Improving readability.
Old 17th November 2009, 22:39   #2
BHPian

Phew!!! that was one big paragraph.I had to literally stick my eyes on to the screen to read it properly

Anways congrats buddy for the Xylo.Its a nice vehicle and powerful too.
Awaiting the pics.
Alter_Ego is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2009, 22:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Then my Dad saw the Xylo in Autocar India and fell in love with it
Not many people will fell love with Xylo by just seeing the picture or on the road. I totally agree with you on price VFM, utility (legroom, 8 passenger seating) etc, defenitely not the look.
Old 17th November 2009, 23:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations

First of all congratulations for your new acquisition. It fits your requirements and just about perfect for the applications you have mentioned.

Do post a detailed ownership report as you log on the miles.
Old 17th November 2009, 23:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

congratulation on your purchase buddy. wish you miles of happy motoring with it.
Old 18th November 2009, 08:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

@teamveevee..
By "My dad saw it in AutocarIndia and fell in love with it", I meant to say my dad liked the Xylo more than Bolero (which was our previous choice).
I agree that its not Stylish Vehicle (Most of us know that M&M Engineers have built this car inside out). Hence the Exterior shape suffered. But its a Head Turner.
Old 18th November 2009, 10:07   #7
BHPian

Nice and detailed write-up of your experience.
However, please have a heart and consider the poor reader. Break it up in paragraphs as each topic emerges.
Keep on writing about your experiences with the vehicle. Have fun!
Old 18th November 2009, 18:08   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Wow, you really got a thing for interior space, eh? First the Indigo XL and now the Xylo. Well, can't beat the Xylo on interior room and comfort. The first-class aircraft like seating positioning (when being chauffeur-driven) is top class.

Congratulations. I'm glad you bought the ABS variant. How about some pictures?
Old 18th November 2009, 18:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then again I complained to Xyloline that because of the Dealer my dad scolded me.
Sorry but I could not control myself there.

Congrats on your purchase. See if you are able to get the ABS sticker done by the dealer.
Old 18th November 2009, 23:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

I am unable to get time to click photos. Will Try Tomorrow.

I want to add something. Here it goes--
Today I was going through the Invoice. I noticed that the Invoice mentions that the Price quoted to me is Rs.7.99L. But I was told the Ex-Showroom Price is 8,09,940/-. So I went to ask the justification at Gandhi Motors, Solapur.
There I came to know that I was given a Discount of Rs.10K. hence the Invoice shows 10K less than the quoted price. When I asked the Sales Manager why did not the dealership inform me about the discount at booking time, he replied "Sir I did not know what the Sales Executive committed you". I told him that the S.E did not commit me any discount. So how come this discount arose from nowhere? He was silent on this.

As already mentioned in the first post, I was made to pay additional Rs.13,880/- while taking Delivery.
You can check the Price at below link.
:: Welcome to Mahindra Xylo co.in ::
Select Maharashtra from State Dropdown list and Solapur fromCity Dropdown list.

It clearly states that the Ex-Showroom Price for Xylo E8 with ABS is Rs.7,96,060/-. But the dealer quoted me Ex-Showroom Price for Xylo E8 with ABS as Rs.8,09,940/-. The Sales Exevutive, Sachin Gophane told me that the 13.8K are for Octroi but the Salegaon says that the 13.8K are for Transport and Transit Insurance. What a Style of Ripping? (only two allowed?)

When I asked the Sales Manager, Mr. Salegaon why was I quoted R.8,09,940/- in first place when the Website mentions Rs.7,96,060/-, he replied "Sir, the additional 13.8K are the charges for Transportation and Transit Insurance". I asked him "Until the car is delivered to me, how can I be charged for Transport and Transit Insurance? Its the Dealer who has to bear these charges and not Customer". He said "Why would the Dealer pay for these charges from his pocket? He will charge these from Customer since Customer ordered him to bring the car by transport instead of Driving". I warned him that I will complain to Xyloline. But he shamelessly said "Sir, You can complain to Xyloline. What will happen? The Officials will scold us. Fine, we are ready for that. And you have troubled us so much that none of our customers ever troubled us." I said "You provided me such a Third Class, Disgusting Service and you expect from me that I should not complain about you".
I had complained this issue to Customer Care. Lets see what reply do I get?
@GTO...
I Request you to take this matter to Higher Officials of Mahindra & Mahindra for better Customer Service.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 19th November 2009 at 00:02. Reason: Added some lines.
Old 11th December 2009, 14:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

1st Free Service of 5000kms Update.

Yesterday I took our Xylo for the 1st Free Service at the Dealer.
The Odometer Reading was 5,162kms.

I bought Reliance RelStar Nova Ultra Engine Oil SAE 15W40 API CI-4 pack of 7.5 Liters for Rs.1525/- from Local Shop. Mahindra & Mahindra recommends to use Engine Oil which meets Minimum SAE 15W40 API CH-4. The Engine Oil Capacity of Oil Sump is 6.5 Liters.

I went to the Dealer and gave the Service Book to the Service Supervisor and told him that I had brought Engine Oil from Outside. He said "Sir, you are not allowed to use Engine Oil other than Mahindra Maximile SAE 15W40 API CH-4". I replied "In the Owner's Manual it is not mentioned that if you cannot use Engine Oil other than Mahindra Maximile. It is clearly mentioned in the Manual that if you use Engine Oil other than Mahindra Maximile, you will have to reduce the Drain Interval from 15,000kms to 10,000kms if the Engine Oil meets the Minimum Requirement SAE 15W40 API CH-4. And I am using Engine Oil SAE 15W40 API CI-4 instead of Mahindra's API CH-4. My Oil exceeds the Minimum Requirement recommended by M&M".

He said "You cannot use the Outside Engine oil". I said "OK. I'll be responsible for any damage occuring". He agreed to replace the Engine Oil which I brought.

I was made to wait for half an hour before our Xylo was taken in the Workshop.

Then after half an hour the Supervisor came and drove the vehicle to the workshop. I stood in front of the car to see whether he uses his oil or mine. He drained the old oil and removed the old oil filter. Then he fitted New Oil Filter of Scorpio. I asked him as to why was he fitting Scorpio's Filter in Xylo. He replied both vehicles have COMMON Oil Filter . Then he poured the New Oil.
Again I was made to wait for 15-20 minutes before taking the car to washing area.
Then the mechanic drove the car and parked it in the parking queue of washing.

Two Logans were ahead of our Xylo. I waited for them. After washing those Logans, the washerman took the Mahindra Pickup for Washing. I asked him why was he washing the Pickup when my Xylo has its turn for washing. He replied the pickup is to be delivered (New Vehicle). Hence he would wash it first. I told him "When i took the Delivery of Xylo 1 month ago, no one carted to wash it while Delivery". He replied "Its impossible. We wash every New Vehicle before Delivery". I said "but not mine".

Then after washing the Pick up, he went for Lunch and returned after 1 hour.
Then he washed our Xylo. He used a Torn Sponge for washing. I felt there is no point in arguing further with the washerman and kept quiet since again he would reply me wrongly.

Then after washing, I went to pay the Bill (of Oil Filter only since I bought the Engine oil from outside). The cashier gave me bill of Rs.1,651/-. I asked him how come this high bill when I bought oil filter only. Then he enquired to other person and gave me the Bill of Rs.156/-. While paying the bill, I told the cashier to write "The Customer used Reliance Relstar Nova Oil SAE 15W40 API CI-4 instead of Mahindra Maximile SAE 15W40 API CH-4" on the back of the bill with his Signature and Stamp of the Dealer.
But he strongly refused saying "We will not give in writing since you yourself bought the oil from outside".

I told him I would need that to claim (God Forbid) if there is any Warranty Claim. He replied you should have thought that before buying the Engine Oil from Outside.
I paid the Bill and came out of the Workshop.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 11th December 2009 at 15:07. Reason: Wanted to change some data.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2009, 15:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. I was made to wait for half an hour before our Xylo was taken in the Workshop.

2. Again I was made to wait for 15-20 minutes before taking the car to washing area.

3. Then he washed our Xylo. He used a Torn Sponge for washing.

"Reliance Relstar Nova Oil SAE 15W40 API CI-4 was used by the Customer instead of Mahindra Maximile SAE 15W40 API CH-4" on the back of the bill with his Signature and Stamp of the Dealer.
Aren't 1, 2 and 3 a common thing? Just leave it at that.

Why did you need him to mention that?
Old 12th December 2009, 12:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

@Beejay...
I clearly typed above why I wanted him to mention that. Here is Copy of the same--
Quote:
While paying the bill, I told the cashier to write "The Customer used Reliance Relstar Nova Oil SAE 15W40 API CI-4 instead of Mahindra Maximile SAE 15W40 API CH-4" on the back of the bill with his Signature and Stamp of the Dealer.
But he strongly refused saying "We will not give in writing since you yourself bought the oil from outside".

I told him I would need that to claim (God Forbid) if there is any Warranty Claim. He replied you should have thought that before buying the Engine Oil from Outside.
Old 12th December 2009, 12:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

Yes of course, but how does it help you in claiming your warranty?

Just chill, nothing should go wrong with the oil. Even if it does you have your manual to support your claim.
Old 12th December 2009, 15:21   #15
BHPian

Hey Indigo congrats on the Xylo! Hope you are enjoying the ride.

About the service, well it's quite obvious from your post that you do not think the world about it. Why don't you try a different service center? And if you are really worked up with the service, try and write a written complaint instead of a verbal/call center one. A written complaint generally gets more attention!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks