Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2009, 22:35   #1

Mitsubishi Cedia Sports it is

Hi all,

I had been browsing the forum for more than a year, when I was first looking to replace my 2005 Indigo Marino diesel, and was looking for a larger, comfortable sedan which I will be driving 20-30 kms/day in city with 4-5 highway trips a year. My budget was 10l.
After a series of test drives from Aug-Sep 08:
Fiesta (petrol) – very good to drive, but rear seating space was similar to the Marina,
Octavia (diesel) – again, very good to drive, but well above my budget, and the horror stories of service/maintenance drew me away
Cedia – When I first drove the 2008 smiley face model, I was sure that was what I wanted! But work and time away from Chennai meant that I had to put off the decision to 2009.
Then the Linea happened! Can be Pete’d, superb looks, and driving, but low GC, and a large no. of niggles were reported in the forum. Did not want the E Pack, did not like all the chrome bits, the narrow foot-well (the marina has a curved cut-away on the accelerator side which helped!) was very uncomfortable., and the interior rear seat space was not much more than the Marina.

Finally took the plunge, and booked the Cedia Sports white w/o stickers in early Oct at Maya Motors. Expected delivery before Diwali, but that did not happen.
Got delivery on 24th Oct, and the car came with the small stickers near the ovrms.And HM/Mitsu did not give the remaining stickers separately; seems it is the new policy!

On the same day, had Maya Motors put on Huper Optik films on the front, side and rears, and changed the tires to Yoko AA01.

Its been almost a month of driving pleasure,, but with all the rains in Chennai, I have not had a chance to hit the highway.

The vehicle is going in for its first service tomorrow.

A few minor things to fix/check – a) the Kenwood unit is not fitted flush, there is a gap on the RHS, and slow response to the touch on the screen, b) there seems to be a gap between the interior lining on the front LHS door and the lining at the bottom curved portion. In sunlight, I can see the white door panel thru the gap. Can be seen very clearly in kcnetid’s photos too! c) occasionally the first gear does not engage cleanly (that could be me – trying to find a comfortable seating distance, and the super smooth clutch!)

Last week, I got the Team-BHP stickers; a few of them will go on the Cedia after the service.

Cheers for now…
PbR2
Old 20th November 2009, 01:36   #2
BHPian

Just love the rally bred cedia, bit after driving it i felt it was underpowered. Do you feel the same way?
Do not take this in a wrong way but my friend also has a 8-10L budget so we are looking at either the cedia or fiesta S or the SX4, so asking someone who has driven the car more than just a test drive.
Old 20th November 2009, 03:12   #3
BHPian

only *feels* underpowered

Cedia only feels underpowered because its so smooth and handles so well. You can touch 100kmph at ~ 2000 RPM and it can go upto 5k - 6k RPM.
Look at pure BHP and torque comparison on any site - carwale etc.
And, of course, the suspension.
Cedia has a 2.0 ltr engine.

I don't think you can compare City with the Cedia. City is definitely not for semi-urban roads. Linea is even more underpowered. Fiat is planning a Linea with 110BHP or something > 100 BHP. You can then compare a Linea with Cedia.

The only other car you can compare with this is the Cruze in similar price range.
Cruze is slightly more expensive but also more loaded. 150 BHP and also a 2.0 ltr engine.

Civic does better BHP, good torque and is definitely more luxurious but also much more expensive. Not as good handling as a Cedia.
Altis - good power. Handling - forget about it. Is an out and out soft car, excellent for commuting. Definitely not for excitement.

Sub 15 lacs, there are only 2 performance cars/sedans - Cedia and Cruze. Maybe Skoda but you would buy that more of flaunting it I suppose. Havn't driven one myself so can't comment on performance.
You will have to go higher than 15 lacs for other performance cars. I think entry Audis and BMWs will be ~ 20 lacs - have no idea of price of premium cars really :-)

For true apples to apples comparison - look at power to weight ratio for the cars you are considering. A truck has lot more power but no fun at all if you want to zip.
Old 20th November 2009, 06:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnetid View Post
Cedia has a 2.0 ltr engine.

I don't think you can compare City with the Cedia.
The only other car you can compare with this is the Cruze in similar price range.
Cruze is slightly more expensive but also more loaded. 150 BHP and also a 2.0 ltr engine.
Sub 15 lacs, there are only 2 performance cars/sedans - Cedia and Cruze.

For true apples to apples comparison - look at power to weight ratio for the cars you are considering. A truck has lot more power but no fun at all if you want to zip.
I would like to disagree with you here
just because city has a 1.5lt engine doesn't mean it can't be compared with cedia. City has better power to weight ratio than cedia. So it will be faster. Cruze is 2.0 diesel, I won't compare it with cedia just bcos both have a 2 lt pot.
The price territory of cedia and city is the same, so anyone considering a car for 10 lakh will consider these two options. Even with our budget of 9lakh we considered cedia and city apart from other cars like fiesta, Verna.
In sub 15 lac we have civic which has excellent motor. And is fast.

Nevertheless Congo on your purchase. Have fun driving most sorted out handler in market today

no offense meant

Last edited by chevelle : 20th November 2009 at 06:30.
Old 20th November 2009, 13:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Cedia is a great choice and to say is the best car to drive. City has power but spoils the sports when it comes to handling & road dynamics.

Optra magnum can also join the race with amazing power & interiors.
Old 20th November 2009, 14:18   #6
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase, on the "feel" factor nothing beats a CEDIA! Plus its loaded ... lets not compare it to City or Cruze now, just enjoy your car and post some pictures!
Old 20th November 2009, 14:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

congrats on ur purchase PBR2 - bring it over in the next chennai meet..

the CEDIA - such a wonderful car but if only it LOOKED and FELT like a 10 lakh car it could draw more buyers..

HM could have atleast launched the EVO 9 based lancer which is a far far better looker than the EVO 8 based CEDIA..

but thats history now with the EVO X lancer already in international markets
Old 20th November 2009, 15:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice Ride... Does the Job.. What Job?

SMOKING other Cars AWAY!

Wish you miles of happiness. Drive Safe!

The gap in the door is evident in my car too. Does really bother me. Rest, changing to Yokos was Great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
just because city has a 1.5lt engine doesn't mean it can't be compared with cedia. City has better power to weight ratio than cedia. So it will be faster. In sub 15 lac we have civic which has excellent motor. And is fast.
Put them on road and see the difference. The proof of car is in Driving.

How about a race.. Mind you I only race for pink slips.

Just kidding.. No offence meant.

I got both cedia and civic at home and both are excellent cars with their own pros and cons. But certainly would hate comparing cedia to city.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 20th November 2009 at 16:08.
Old 20th November 2009, 17:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Put them on road and see the difference. The proof of car is in Driving.

How about a race.. Mind you I only race for pink slips.

Just kidding.. No offence meant.

I got both cedia and civic at home and both are excellent cars with their own pros and cons. But certainly would hate comparing cedia to city.
Gaurav, Would love to race with you on track and not in public place due to security reasons. On track, city is bound to loose to cedia because of its poise. its one of the best handler this side of 15 lakhs.
I already burned the road with them. thats why i said, city is at par with cedia. just change tires of city and its good to go. But to each his own.

btw, of cedia and civic, which would you pick? just on basis of performance?

Lets not continue this discussion here, we can take it elsewhere, offline or other thread. Let this thread be PBR's ownership report.

Last edited by chevelle : 20th November 2009 at 17:09.
Old 20th November 2009, 17:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sheer randomness this thread has become.

:|

The ANHC has been brought at par with the Cedia solely by the price. It has neither the handling nor the top speed (not very sure about this) of the Cedia. All said and done, very respectable car, the ANHC is.

Anyways, a query for the OP:

How do you rate the Linea and the Cedia on the handling front?

Also, a few pics and some more details of lack of quality in plastics would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 20th November 2009, 17:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Lets not continue this discussion here, we can take it elsewhere, offline or other thread. Let this thread be PBR's ownership report.
I agree, PBR - do post pics of your car. Let us know how it compares to your older car and what improvements you would like to see from Mitsu (within reasonable budget). I know for a fact that HM people read posts here with considerable interest.

@ chevelle - no offense taken, I hope all realise that this has a lot to do with taste and preferrences rather that indisputable mathematical proof. I don't think you are implying that I am a loser becuase I prefer the Cedia (and even if you do, I refuse to take offiense :-) ).
I hope nobody takes offense when I suggest the Cedia and critique various cars. I definitely do not intend that to be a reflection of any individual.
Do look to start a thread on sedans comparison. I am sure this will get very interesting very fast. I am also planning to test drive the City, Cruze and Optra soon. Yesterday, I posted my impression of the Civic on my initial ownersip thread.
Old 20th November 2009, 17:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gaurav, Would love to race with you on track and not in public place due to security reasons. On track, city is bound to loose to cedia because of its poise. its one of the best handler this side of 15 lakhs.
I would love to wait for a track to open in Delhi.

Quote:
I already burned the road with them. thats why i said, city is at par with cedia. just change tires of city and its good to go. But to each his own.
I am better off not commenting on the same..

Quote:
btw, of cedia and civic, which would you pick? just on basis of performance?
Civic and Cedia are both very good performers. I found Civic's steering to be a bit hard (not as responsive as cedia). I have driven both the cars on same roads and can say civic can do what ever cedia can and moreover the car is faster from 0 to 100, so can give cedia run for its money. But thats all on good roads, where the road get a bit bumpy, nothing like cedia, the car feels a lot more planted than the civic. You may give credit for this to more balanced chassis and hardened suspention. So if I am given an option, it would be hard to decide. But I guess cedia it will be for me..

I love both the cars equally, only thing I miss in my cedia is the momo steering.

Quote:
Sure Sir, please dont take any of my word as an offence. Rest its all your thread PBR.
Old 20th November 2009, 21:22   #13

Guys,

A quick feedback on getting back my car this evening after the first service. The air-intake has been reversed! This was something that I had discovered in this forum when researching the Cedia, and had brought it up during the sale process at Maya Motors (was assured there was no such advisory from HM/Mitsu).
On asking the service guys, first reason was that water could get in, and second was that there was noise at the air-intake. Both reasons sounded ridiculous, and I had no time to discuss with the boss there. But there is a customers meet tomorrow evening at Maya Motors, and I am going bring this issue up. Service guys cannot change any part without reference to the customer! If, as they say, it is done during the first service, then why are factory-assembled cars not changed before dispatch?
Cedizens, please let me know if this has happened to your cars.

Thanks to all for your responses.

jithudigitised, aZa, kcnetid - pics will be delayed, am off to Noida on Monday, and then out of country for another week.
abhayshanu – coming from a diesel Marina, very few vehicles would feel underpowered to me! But seriously, I have not driven with a full complement of passengers, and on the highway, so it is too early to say. For city driving, it is a doodle - very good for quick overtaking; though mostly I would applying the brakes cos the car just keeps moving! The acceleration is butter smooth in 3rd and 4th gears.
kcnetid, chevelle – can see your passion for cars coming thru! Have not driven the Civic, but did try the Altis –‘staid’ I would say.
Ramsagar – Optra Mangum and Cruze may be equivalents for diesel-heads (more likely GM-heads!)
narayan - would love to meet the Chennai BHPians, especially the Cedizens!
gaurav_chopra04 – thanks, the gap in the door fitting seems to be generic tolerance problem. Today at Maya Motors, two new Cedia Sports and one older version w/ diamond front mesh had the same visible gaps.
EssYouWe – based on my test-drives, for in-city handling there are only slight differences between the Linea and Cedia - Cedia has quicker acceleration, and shorter turning radius.

Re comparison with my Marina and my wish list for improvement, I have a few, but will publish them after a little longer Cedia experience.

Cheers
Old 21st November 2009, 07:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

First of all, congrats on the new car

Quote:
You can touch 100kmph at ~ 2000 RPM and it can go upto 5k - 6k RPM.
I dont think the Cedia does 100@2000rpm in 5th gear (if thats what you were talking about)

Quote:
Cruze is slightly more expensive but also more loaded. 150 BHP and also a 2.0 ltr engine..
The petrol vs diesel comparison never works out. The only car that beats everything in terms of performance is the Skoda Rider 1.8TPi, but don't know if its still in production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbR2 View Post
Guys,
A quick feedback on getting back my car this evening after the first service. The air-intake has been reversed! This was something that I had discovered in this forum when researching the Cedia, and had brought it up during the sale process at Maya Motors (was assured there was no such advisory from HM/Mitsu).
On asking the service guys, first reason was that water could get in, and second was that there was noise at the air-intake. Both reasons sounded ridiculous, and I had no time to discuss with the boss there.
I've been using the Cedia for the past ~2yrs now and the air intake has always been kept in the normal way. No water getting in, nothing.

Last edited by karthik247 : 21st November 2009 at 07:25.
Old 22nd November 2009, 19:29   #15
BHPian

Congrats PbR2! It's a great car. I recently bought one. It's been a pleasure to own so far. Just taken it on a few long drives. I'm now waiting to complete the run-in ASAP. Will be starting my thread soon.

I'm pretty curious about your air-intake thing. I had read about this earlier and thought it was just an error on the part of that particular workshop. If that's the way it is meant to be, I don't understand why it isn't sold that way.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks