Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2009, 22:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

My Blu-Monster- Ford Fiesta 1.6S Aquarius

Hi guys. I took delivery of my monstrous blue missile on wheels, the Ford Fiesta 1.6S, on the 11th of this month. The review has been delayed due to a couple of reasons. My camera went on the blink as soon as I got the car and more truthfully, I have been enjoying the car too much to either get the camera repaired or write a review. :-) So without further ado, I present the best driving machine under 10 lacs! Or maybe even 15 lacs as it drives even better than the Civic and the Altis in my opinion.

My "What Car" experience

I have been on the lookout for an upgrade as my 800 was getting a bit long in the tooth. I always wanted my next car to have loads of power and more importantly, it should be fun to drive with great handling. It had to be a petrol for me as my monthly driving rarely exceeds 800 kms. I waited for the i20 to launch and I took a TD in Feb this year. I was impressed by the interiors, but the drive was a let down. Some folks find the power adequate, but I was not looking for adequate here. I wanted with immense pulling power and loads of torque. So the i20 was out.

Then I waited for the Punto to launch. The petrol was supposed to be a 90 bhp FIRE and I could not wait to TD it. I went to a Tata dealer in the neighborhood with lots of expectations. But I was brought down to earth quick enough. I spent about 20 minutes in the showroom poking around without a single sales person even approaching me. Some were busy with paperwork, some were busy with other customers. I finally approached the reception and they told they would put someone onto me in another 10 minutes, but nothing happened even after another 20. I read some brochures and left. How can I buy a car if they aren't even interested in talking to me!? Outside I asked one of the dealer's drivers whether there are any 1.4 petrols available in stock. He said they dont even have a TD vehicle yet. So the Punto was out even without taking a TD. I did TD a 1.2 petrol much later when a friend of mine was interested in the Linea. I had lost interest in Punto by then. I was never interested in the Linea petrol as it sounded underpowered even on paper.

Zeroing down on the Fiesta 1.6S

Ford was never in the picture until I started reading some good reviews of the Fiesta by Frankmehta and others. It seemed like an an amazing driving machine. Sometime in the middle of October, I saw this huge hoarding of the 1.6S in Aquarius outside the Chennai Ford showroom. I had never noticed it until then though I pass by it everyday and I immediately wanted a TD. That evening I went to the showroom and the sales guy agreed to bring the S to my house the next day for a TD.

I had a good TD the next day and I was blown away by the amazing power, handling and road grip. It was sheer bliss and I decided that this was the car I wanted. The ride was a bit stiff and I wanted to compare it with the regular model. So we drove back to the showroom and got into the SXi. I did not like the chrome mirrors and the wooden console right away. The ride was much softer than the S as expected, but that meant it did not have the same driving dynamics. I was hooked onto the S's drive by then and the decision was made.

Then came the price part. I did not have a good experience with Chennai Ford. More info here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...nnai-ford.html

To cut a long story short, I shifted to MPL Ford. The sales guy at MPL brought an S for another TD even though I was already sold on the car. I took a good 15 kms TD which re-confirmed my decision. During the TD he told me he had an S in Aquarius in stock which had come a week earlier. I would have had to wait nearly a month at Chennai Ford as they said they would
have to place a fresh order. Since MPL had the car in stock, I paid the booking amount of 25K right after the TD.

Later on I found out that they had gotten 3 S's on the same day. One of them was delivered to fellow BHP-ain The Hummer Guy. I waited a couple of days more to find out if the Nov offer would be better than the Oct offer, but
there was no new offer for the S in Nov as Ford had launched the ZXi Leather version. I paid the remaining amount on the 5th. The OTR was 7.73 lacs. The car was registered on the 9th and I took delivery on the 11th. I never TD-ed the Verna petrol 'cos I had read enough about it's sluggish engine and not so great handling. ANHC was never in the picture due to the price and lack of goodies. I think the 1.6S is a much better driving machine than the ANHC even though the ANHC is more powerful on paper. A colleague's ANHC did not have the European build quality that's apparent in the Fiesta. The ANHC is a pretty decent car nevertheless and I might have considered it if it had been
less expensive.

Delivery Experience

The delivery went fairly smooth until the delivery guy said they had made a small scratch on the front right door earlier that morning. Someone had hit the door against an Endy which was standing next to it. I was pretty pissed, but then I saw that the scratch was really tiny and I probably would not even have noticed it if they had not confessed themselves. They apologized profusely and offered to pick up the car that evening, get it fixed and deliver it at home the next day. I said ok and finished the formalities and drove out.

It was like driving in a dream. The car was ultra smooth and I could feel loads of power sitting in reserve waiting to be unleashed. I have not crossed 2500 RPM till now and it's been a real struggle keeping the right foot in check. A feather touch is enough to get the RMPs climbing. Once I broke through 3000 RMP briefly for an overtaking move and the sound of the exhaust was SWEET! I can't wait to hear the symphony at 3500 and beyond. The ride is stiff but it's not uncomfortable. I was more than willing to make this compromise for the sweet handling that comes with the S. I am taking turns and curves at speeds that I would dream of in any other car.

If anyone is looking for an affordable sporty drive, this is it. Think no further.

Time for some pics now.
Attached Thumbnails
My Blu-Monster- Ford Fiesta 1.6S Aquarius-dscn2195-50.jpg  

My Blu-Monster- Ford Fiesta 1.6S Aquarius-11-50.jpg  

My Blu-Monster- Ford Fiesta 1.6S Aquarius-18-50.jpg  

My Blu-Monster- Ford Fiesta 1.6S Aquarius-21-50.jpg  

My Blu-Monster- Ford Fiesta 1.6S Aquarius-20-50.jpg  

My Blu-Monster- Ford Fiesta 1.6S Aquarius-19-50.jpg  

My Blu-Monster- Ford Fiesta 1.6S Aquarius-7-50.jpg  

My Blu-Monster- Ford Fiesta 1.6S Aquarius-10-50.jpg  

My Blu-Monster- Ford Fiesta 1.6S Aquarius-14-50.jpg  

Last edited by Gilead : 21st November 2009 at 22:58.
Gilead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2009, 22:46   #2
BHPian

hey. nice choice. havent seen it in this colour.
Old 21st November 2009, 23:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

akshay, thanks dude! Yep, it's a fairly exclusive color. Has loads of street presence and stands out a mile in parking lots as well.
Old 21st November 2009, 23:36   #4
BHPian

Congrats Gilead!! Welcome to the club.

Forever my piece of advice, remove the transparent sticker on the Ford marking thats on the center of Alloy.. They leave permanent mark on that if not removed for long time
Old 21st November 2009, 23:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

nityanand, thanks for the info. I had not even realized there was a transparent sticker there. I'll remove them first thing in the morning.
Old 21st November 2009, 23:54   #6
BHPian

Congrats Gilead! 1.6S looks are so eye catchy that its puts everyone in dilemma as 'Dil' always wish to go for S version
Old 22nd November 2009, 00:15   #7
BHPian

Hi Gilead !

Nice review there and mouth watering pics.

i had a question or two on that hopefully would help us make up our minds between the S and SXi?

1. How still is the suspension in the S really ?
i mean, everyone on the forum are pretty vocal about the suspension being on the stiffer side, but is this something that's so apparent? or more importantly something that leaves you with an aching body by the end of the drive I hope not ! I've driven both the models and i couldn't make anything out myself. I bet my money it's more like the placebo effect where one is inclined to believe on the basis of the widespread notion

2. Isn't something really amiss in the rear seat ??
i.e. dont you think the armrest and the neckrests are something that should have been a default in today's day and age where people are willing to spend extra for that added comfort. It beats me how one (read Ford) could ever conjure that the 'idea' of Sports variant takes a beating by having an iota of comfort thrown in

I feel this and this alone draws the favour back to the SXi...

Cheers,

a fiesta fan!
Old 22nd November 2009, 00:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

kumar7, thanks. The head might say SXi. But life is short so might as well as go crazy once in a while.
Old 22nd November 2009, 01:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

WELL DONE Gilead! Nice pics and one of the BEST colours ever!!!!!

Your something has left my port for your port today. Might reach you on Monday or Tuesday. Let me know when you get it. I am waiting for my something too. That something will grace your baby. Our babies actually. (sorry for the apparent pun here, LOL)
Old 22nd November 2009, 09:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayak007 View Post
1. How still is the suspension in the S really ?
i mean, everyone on the forum are pretty vocal about the suspension being on the stiffer side, but is this something that's so apparent? or more importantly something that leaves you with an aching body by the end of the drive
vinayak, thanks buddy. The stiffer ride on the S is definitely apparent when you do back to back drives on the S and SXi like I did. But what you get in return is crisp handling and a FAR more involving driving experience. There is zero body roll and the S will not scrape the bottom on bad roads as well. And the ride is not all uncomfortable. It could get uncomfortable if you drive on really broken roads. If you are going to have people regularly sit in the back seat, the S is not the car for you. The SXi is a better choice for you.
Quote:
2. Isn't something really amiss in the rear seat ??
i.e. dont you think the armrest and the neckrests are something that should have been a default in today's day and age where people are willing to spend extra for that added comfort.
The back seat was never a factor for me. Hardly anyone ever sits there. Since the S and SXi are priced the same, Ford probably had to cut down some of the S features like back seat arm rests etc as the S comes with bigger wheels and tires, a different suspension set up, full body kit, sporty spolier, chrome exhaust etc. The SXi does not get all these things. For me, beige interiors were a liability as I have a small kid. And I did not like the chrome mirrors and the console on the SXi. So you need to make a decision based on what's important to you.
Quote:
Your something has left my port for your port today. Might reach you on Monday or Tuesday.
Frank, thanks! That was a great find. Looking forward to showing it off.
Old 22nd November 2009, 10:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Nice write up and good photos !

Floor mat - if interested,you may put Rubber mat(black colour) on top of the original ford leather mat which already put in there. This will get dirty soon and will take time to dry out if you had to wash (if not dried well then you get a bad smell). Rubber mat's put on top of the original floor mat will save you additional work (and ofcourse rubber mat's are easy to clean/wash). Ford stores will have these and believe it will cost about Rs.900 for 4 pieces?
Enjoy driving !
Old 22nd November 2009, 11:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

nair, thanks for the info. Let me take a look at the rubber mats. I am apprehensive they might spoil the interior look.
Old 22nd November 2009, 14:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

This is what I have got it from Ford and after putting this the original ford leather mat looks fresh without any mud.

The front seat- mat:

My Blu-Monster- Ford Fiesta 1.6S Aquarius-alloys-009-small.jpg

Backseat -passenger side mat:

Name:  alloys 006 Small.jpg
Views: 8356
Size:  42.8 KB

thanks
Old 22nd November 2009, 14:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Nair,was your original Ford mat black or beige? Mine is black.
Old 22nd November 2009, 14:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Nair,was your original Ford mat black or beige? Mine is black.
+
Black.

It is now underneath the rubber mat which can be taken out and wash easily whereas the original one will be safe and looks nice (from your picture, the driver side original mat is already very dirty - dont you feel?)
Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks