Team-BHP - 3 Months old ford Ikon TDCI
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   3 Months old ford Ikon TDCI (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/70529-3-months-old-ford-ikon-tdci.html)

Hi,

I am based in Bangalore and would like to share my experience with 3 months old ford Ikon TDCI bought from Lathanghi Ford Bangalore. Earlier I was owning a Ford Ikon 1.6 Zxi (done 80K) and traded the same for new Ikon TDCI. The on-road price for new car was ~6.4 lakhs and old car was traded for 1.4 lakhs.

Test drive experience:

Except higher engine noise inside cabin, hard clutch and vibration in gear stick everything else seemed fine. As previously owning a ford Ikon, was very comfortable with the handling and comfort. Liked the pickup once turbo kicks in (~1800 RPM onwards) and did not feel sluggish in city driving conditions. Engine noise was higher compared to fusion or swift but is tolerable, especially with AC on and music played in the background.

Alternatives considered:

Swift diesel Vdi:

Test drove the car, pathetic test drive car (car in very bad condition), however has traveled in my in-laws SWIFT diesel and drive was smooth and comfortable. Since the Maruti dealer was ready to give only 90K for the old Ikon as exchange price and did not offer any discount for the new swift as well.

For fusion 1.4 TDCI:

Test drove the car multiple times, the issue of engine noise, hard clutch as well as gear stick vibration is absent compared to IKON TDCI. Really liked the car however the back seat comfort was less compared to Ikon. Also the price difference was a major fact since the car mostly will be used for city driving.

Sales experience:

Since I am a previous owner of ford ikon, ford has offered free 3rd year warranty as loyalty bonus. Also they have offered free basic accessories, music system and speakers as incentive. The sales experience at Lathanghi ford was extremely pleasant, they have offered multiple test drives of different vehicle also explained and clarified all questions and clarifications I had. Also the vehicle was delivered on the promised time-line.

Additional accessories:

Decided to go ahead with OEM alloy wheels including the spare, Pioneer DVH 4190 HU (exchanged for the free one offered by the dealer, discount of 6K), Front - JBL GT5 205, real - JBL GTO 938 and 2 channel amp for real JBL - GT5 A402. Other accessories includes remote locking, side moulding, exhaust trim, Ariel rod and remote boot release.

Opted for leather car seats from OVION (done from OVION bangalore), touch leather MANZA for 16K.

Also traded the OEM tires to Michellin XM1.

Driving experience:

Have used mainly for city driving and found really good. Used for couple of long journey from Bangalore, once to Cochin and second one to Sultan Bathery (Wayanad, Kerala). Found no issues during the journey. The FE was exceptional during high way run, 100% AC on for about 1000+ KMs and the FE was about 20+ kmpl. The maximum speed could achieve is only 100 Kmph, since after 100 the car does not feel smooth. Maybe it is still new and need to run for some more distance before can go above 100+.

Had an issue with the music system, multiple time one or the other speaker stops working and finally even though everything seems fine no sound from any speaker (HU, Amp etc are lighted up and working). Multiple visit required to the service center, Lathangi ford, they attended promptly to the faults and rectified immediately. Reason was the same as loose contact, but not convinced since the same issue happened multiple times. Either the wiring is of poor quality or the workmanship is not good at all. After the last repair the issue did not surfaced again, still under warranty.

First service experience:

First service done at 4000Kms (3 Months).

Issues addressed :

1. AT 100+ Kmph drive is not smooth. It was conveyed that mostly due to small internal bend(s) in front left alloy wheel also wheel alignment was wrong. Once again wheel alignment was done and assured the problem does not exist. Yet to verify as currently driving only in Bangalore city traffic.

2. Jerky transition from 2nd to 3rd gear, hard clutch. Service adviser blamed our driving style, usage of clutch while accelerating. Also he gave tips like do not use accelerator when driving at 1st and 2nd gear at all. Just use clutch to roll the car and once changed to 3rd gear start using accelerator. I have to listen to him even though not convinced that using only clutch in 1st and 2nd gear. I felt it will cause problem with clutch plate, it would really good if others can comment on this aspect. Also observed the driving style and did not find accelerating while using clutch. I will talk to the service adviser when meet next time and will convey that does not feel any issues with driving style as well as the clutch was hard even when the car was new.

3. Power steering was very hard. They checked and found that the power steering oil was less, the oil tank was not closed properly and was leaking. I never touched it and should have been a problem with PDI. Told them and they agreed to top up the fluid without any issues. Even though it feels better it is not as smooth as it is in Palio (I also own 1.2 ELX first gen palio, compared to IKON power steering in Palio is too good).

4. Problem with ICE : all the issue is attended and confirmed no more issues should happen. So far so good, need to wait and see.

5. Also they indicated the fuel used in the car is mixed with Kerosene which is not good for long run. They told to use a good petrol station with some additives. Promptly changed to shell (was using HP, BP and IOC) at Old Madras Road, Bangalore. After filling diesel from Shell, the drive feels smooth however seeing a dip in FE (fuel gauge is moving towards empty fast). Need to measure and see what happened.

Please find attached the pics. Please provide inputs to make the IKON TDCI ownership a better experience.

The first pic looks damn awesome, also the Alloys + Tyres make the car look even better.
The color you have chosen is my second favorite from ford, the first being only available in Fiesta S.

Nice write up - good photgraphs

2 things got my attention:

= 20+ kmpl miealage - very good

= Service advisor's recommendation to use only clutch for 1st and 2nd gear
(and no use of accelarator?). Did he knew that you have been driving for many
years, especially on a Ikon?

May be better to wait for more comments from experts !

Congrates. FE is good . I'm also getting around the same fig.
From the pics i suppose you installed a remote boot release .please tell me the cost of that.
Also the power steering is not that smooth its bit hard especially at lower speeds.
So is the clutch it is hard and has good travel distance.
The vibrations are too harsh and i felt the cabin too boomier and is not that tolerable.This can be felt on seats as well. I'm exploring about some damping .
I found the engine not that smooth above 90 kph and the engine noise increases considerably.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullboy (Post 1624768)
From the pics i suppose you installed a remote boot release .please tell me the cost of that.
Also the power steering is not that smooth its bit hard especially at lower speeds.
The vibrations are too harsh and i felt the cabin too boomier and is not that tolerable.This can be felt on seats as well. I'm exploring about some damping .
I found the engine not that smooth above 90 kph and the engine noise increases considerably.

FE 20kms is great for this car. The 5 star alloys makes the car more beautiful. Good looking interiors. The sad thins about the vibration in 100 speed. Even the Ritz doesn't vibrate in 110. Ford has to improve. It should not be with bigger rim and tyres.

Quote:

The remote boot release was installed by dealer, Lathangi Ford Bangalore, and the cost was Rs.5000/-

We use this car mostly in Bangalore city traffic so typically will not drive more than 60 Kmph. I have installed decent ICE setup in the car with video to take care of noise issues. However have to live with the vibrations, which is very evident when the engine is cold. Once the engine is warm then the noise level and vibration is reduced significantly.

Congrats and nice colour choice, I would like to see following two additional things on your IKON

1) A spoiler
2) 'LIVE TO DRIVE' TBHP sticker on rear bumper!!:-)

That is a very good mileage figure and nice seat covers

Congratulation. The color you have chosen is one of the best in Ikon.

Quote:

There is a DIY for this in this forum. Two guys here,Benny & condor have tested this on their toys and happy. May be you can get in touch with them too.

OT: I know this appt. is it the one near Garudacharpalya? One opp. to the purva rivera something?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjothi (Post 1628988)
Congratulation. The color you have chosen is one of the best in Ikon.

There is a DIY for this in this forum. Two guys here,Benny & condor have tested this on their toys and happy. May be you can get in touch with them too.

OT: I know this appt. is it the one near Garudacharpalya? One opp. to the purva rivera something?

The apartment is located behind HAL airport (Old Airport) in Bangalore.

Congrats on the new buy!!

CRDi engines are sensitive to fuel quality, I swear by Shell. Also, don't let the car run too low on fuel- refill when it is above the 1/4th mark. Change engine oil every 5000 KMs. Can't think of anything now, anyone else?!!