Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2014, 01:57   #361
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Xylo Clutch upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

- Fluid bleeding. Could be air lock. Could also be lower than required level of fluid.
- Clutch fork - Sometimes replacing all but clutch fork can create this

Most importantly the new clutch is definitely smoother in comparison to the very used worn out old clutch which worn out gradually making you accustomed to the small changes each day. Its like slow poison that you are so used it that it makes it feel the right tightness.

When you change the delta is so high it may feel too soft or too lose.

Good that you checked for any fluid leak. You can request the SA to do a cursory check if clutch lines are fine for your mind sake.
Firstly, my clutch fluid was bled and replaced during 40K service when the slave cylinder had failed even then did not feel this masssive change in the clutch.

Secondly they have changed the entire system including the clutch pedal and i think this system maybe from the new E9 Xylo or the later E8 Xylo post facelift (So other Xylo owners with the mentioned models please comment).

Thirdly my old Clutch was not worn out, from the look of it it should easily do another 20K Kms. i changed it just as a precaution and i am not mentioning about the way the clutch engages and the car moves. i am just talking about the clutch travel and tightness, hence i am comparing it with my M800 clutch which is very light on its own.
Old 8th August 2014, 02:53   #362
Senior - BHPian

@rocky080.

Totally understand. I still reiterate what i said. It could be either loss of fluid which you have ruled out or the delta difference between a new clutch and used old clutch in your M800 as well.

And M800 and Xylo clutches are definitely going to be different. Mostly the Xylo is going to be heavier considering the different transmission.

A serviced clutch is usually soft and it gets harder with time. You can witness this while you drive long distance in your existing car. By the end of the trip i usually feel the clutch to be far harder after all the riding (continous) because of the heat and usage.

Its a generic phenomenon with respect to clutch.
Old 8th August 2014, 07:56   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky080 View Post
Secondly they have changed the entire system including the clutch pedal and i think this system maybe from the new E9 Xylo or the later E8 Xylo post facelift (So other Xylo owners with the mentioned models please comment).
Hi, was this new kit brand LUK clutch which is based out of Bangalore ? This brand of clutch are being installed from factory in the new TATA MOVUS and TATA ARIA which are extremely light in operation.

How much did this new clutch kit cost?
Old 8th August 2014, 16:28   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Hi, was this new kit brand LUK clutch which is based out of Bangalore ? This brand of clutch are being installed from factory in the new TATA MOVUS and TATA ARIA which are extremely light in operation.

How much did this new clutch kit cost?
I don't think this was an aftermarket clutch system. the boxes that came along all had Mahindra on it. It was offered to me as a clutch system upgrade at the MASS.
Old 8th August 2014, 16:55   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky080 View Post
I don't think this was an aftermarket clutch system. the boxes that came along all had Mahindra on it. It was offered to me as a clutch system upgrade at the MASS.
This brand of clutch is OE now on TATA vehicles so they could supply to M&M too.How much did it cost?
Old 8th August 2014, 17:19   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
This brand of clutch is OE now on TATA vehicles so they could supply to M&M too.How much did it cost?
Total cost was in the range of 10 - 12K for all related components and labour.
Old 9th August 2014, 23:35   #367
BHPian

OK new update on the clutch. The clutch is still soft and light but unfortunately I am facing clutch judder in 1st gear. The service center guys state that it will become proper after 150-200kms. I hoping this is true. Got an assurance from the service manager mr Prasad at Sireesh auto rupena agrahara that everything was fine and that the issue with the judder will get sorted out after a few hundred kilometres. So taking his word and hoping for the best on my journey...
Old 16th September 2014, 16:05   #368
BHPian

Re: My Experience With Xylo E8 Abs

sorry, I havnt been able to update about my Xylo works since some time. my last update was posted http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3387898

even I had planned a Leh trip this July'14 - but ultimately couldnt do it, again! My clutch wasnt really bad, but thought of changing as precaution atleast for this trip.

before starting this activity, I had checked with a reputed local store to verify prices - store guy said that entire clutch system parts (incl master, no slave) would cost max 5.5K, all LUK brand.

Another place I had by email inquired :
http://genuineparts.in/by-vehicle/mahindra/xylo.html (you can see different part nu, I forgot the one applicable for my model). you can see the prices. The person even called me to explain :-)

So in preparation of this trip, I finally got my clutch work at Global, Thane in June'14. ODO was about ~94K KM (1 month less than 4 years, and completion of Ext. Warranty!)

First the Master Cylinder was replaced, oil bleeding and continued for few days. Long back once the Master was changed, but never changed the Slave. Every year I keep changing the clutch oil, proactively.

In the next phase, the clutch plate, pressure plate and CRB (clutch release bearing) was replaced. There is a Pilot Bearing deep inside, but adviser conveyed not to change as its fine still. Even the Slave Cylinder wasnt changed, as wasnt required. Overall the clutch work costed me about INR 14K. I have confirmed, the parts are LUK brand, packed by Mahindra with added margin! The CRB they used was billed as Scorpio one.

In my case, the guys confirmed that in my model (2010 E6) the clutch peddle doesnt need to be replaced! For few days the clutch was butter smooth, but again it started getting hard. Just like all these years, I got the clutch oil bleeding done, which surely softens the clutch, but again the hardness resurfaces !!! Regularly I get the clutch pedal lubricated, and some times they replaced the Clevin Pin - which runs good for just few days (even in old and new clutch).

After mounting the GB to vehicle, they couldnt source (part unavailable) yet the new rubber packing for housing (its a small slit on the underneath on GB, where maybe CRB can be accessed for lubrication, but this rubber cover gives protection against dust entering inside. Im yet to find this cover.

Also there is a tak...tak... kind of noise (earlier more, now bit reduced) coming from the underbody, which once adviser said maybe related to CRB. But overall I dont find the clutch very soft (maybe slight better than the old). I have few times visited the MMASS, and again will have to get it entire dismantled to be rechecked.

on the new clutch, initially while increasing the gears on moderate or high RPM, there was a lot of shudder felt on the pedal - which those guys were clueless. This shudder has gradually decreased a lot, but not nil.

Till now on the new clutch I have driven for 7K KM/4 months (my ODO is currently 101K+ KM).

will keep you posted, and would dream to have a butter smooth/soft clutch :-)

FYI : http://www.schaeffler.com/remotemedi...4_download.pdf

Last edited by pcpranav : 16th September 2014 at 16:22.
Old 9th April 2017, 10:26   #369
BHPian

I have been occassionally posting about my Xylo in various Xylo threads on TBHP!

Another Clutch update from my side:

The vehicle ODO was ~170000 KMs, and last clutch replacement happened at ~94000 KMs, i.e. ~76000 KMs & ~3 yrs ago (see above post).
I had observed a slight drop in FE (also due to tyre conditions of 2 new & 2 old, refer ), and many times did notice clutch release wasnt perfect as desired. Though power delivery wasn't noticed anytime. And I also remember some clutch burns happened during my Spiti trip in May15. I have planned a big trip in May'17, and decided to have a clutch kit replacement.

My regular MM-ASS Global Gallarie at Thane is closed down since few months, and two weeks back I went to G3 workshop at Malad (W), of-course with prior appointment. Apart from clutch work, I had also planned for replacement of the two belts (power steering 675mm, fan belt 1970mm), idler pulley & auto tensioner. As per the maintenance chart, these parts to be changed every 1 Lac KMs. Previously I had changed those in Aug'13 @ ~80000 KMs, refer .
Now the main belt looked bit aged, and tensioner was sometimes making squeaking sound, maybe inside bearing was worn out. I always believe to change parts earlier than prescribed timelines. I doubt that anytime previously the idler pulley was replaced, good that time time will be surely replaced.

FYI, manuals for Xylo H-series (maintenance chart most similar to E-series) and D-Series

At G3, tasks given by me:
A) replace Clutch Plate, Clutch Assembly Cover, Flywheel, Clutch Release Bearing (+pilot bearing), Fork (+spring), master cylinder, slave cylinder, oil bleeding, pedal lubricate;
B) replace both belts, auto tensioner, idler pulley;

Notes:
- clutch flywheel is generally not replaced, and can be "re-surfaced" to remove the uneven abrasions. But I decided to get a new flywheel.
- master & slave cylinder was anyways decided by me for replacement, and when these parts were opened found that condition wasn't good either!

This G3 Malad workshop premise is very large, with multiple big (covered) hangers for attending the vehicle, and pretty large parking area. After meeting the Service Advisor, I met the Service Manager, and the work was carried out on priority. I was delivered the vehicle by evening, didn't wait for the wash as there was a long queue.
That evening, new clutch felt very butter smooth, but after few days a bit of hardening has happened, this is pretty normal. I know very soon the hardness (not very hard though) will return, and its fine with me. I have seen & heard that some models of Xylo (mostly in H-series) have relatively softer clutch, but most of E-series (like mine) has pretty harder clutch even in normal conditions. With the new clutch, in 1st gear, when I slowly let-off my leg from clutch pedal, feel some shudders & jerks. While changing to higher gear with slightly higher RPM, after pressing clutch, feel some disc rubbing / friction. These are also indications of new clutch, and once the break-in happens, it will be smooth enough.

The total bill was ~ INR 31000.

Suspension Update:

Previous major suspension overhaul was done in Oct'13 at ODO ~81K KMs. In between, few times small works did happen (eg. tie-rod change, some bush change)
Two months back did MAJOR suspension overhaul, at a private garage. Parts were OEM specs itself, mostly by manufactured by Rane.
Parts replaced: Upper Arm Assembly (actually two more months back at MM-ASS, as those bushings were worn out), Shock Absorber (hydrolic struts, "Monreo economy") with rubber housings, Lower Arm bushes, tie rod end, rack end ball joint, Stabilizer Links.

Another important part of suspension assembly is the stabilizer bar bush. These were fine in my case, and didn't replace, though they are not really expensive or time consuming to change later as required.

PS: in case of Xylo, for lower arm, just the bushes can be changed (unless major deformation on the arm metal itself). However the upper arm has to be complete replaced, as only bushings cannot be replaced. However, in some previous Scorpio models, even only bushings for upper arm can be changed. Not sure of newer Scorpio/XUV models.

Some regular DIY: cleaning of cabin filter (inside the glove box assembly), and blower fan (below the glove box). To keep the car's AC in good condition and good air flow, these tasks could be done every 3-4 months. Its a max 1 hour job. Its a bit tricky and delicate to remove the cabin filter, after dismantling the clamps of glove box, be most patient in this part!
PS: Last year in Sept'16, I got AC evaporator coil replaced at MM-ASS, costing around 9000 (with labour & gas). Last year also two times got the horns replaced, as they were muted. Out of the two horns fitted, one is a low-tone, and another is high-tone, both has to work in tandem. The oem costs are pretty low, IIRC ~400.

Also, recently installed the WithYouHamesha app on my android mobile, very good indeed. All my service history available to refer, kool. Contact details of MM service points across India available. Get in touch with our dealer for registration.

regards,
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 17:21   #370
BHPian

Rocky - do you still own the Xylo?

Most Viewed