Team-BHP - SX4, Fiesta 1.4, Jazz, Linea MJD and Xylo Test Driven
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   SX4, Fiesta 1.4, Jazz, Linea MJD and Xylo Test Driven (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/70858-sx4-fiesta-1-4-jazz-linea-mjd-xylo-test-driven.html)

The Test-drives Saga.

Well, here I go. I have been planning for a second car for sometime. With no clear deadline for signing the dotted line, no clear plan for which segment; I set off for doing test drives for the vehicles on my radar. Well, yes, I had fixed my budget to 800k; small bit here and there.

I have been keenly watching almost all the threads in "What car" and "Team-BHP review" segments. And the "Ford Fiesta owners here" thread of course.

Based on what I saw on the forum and auto-mags, I narrowed down my TDs to
1. Fiesta 1.4 TDCi
2. Fiesta S
3. SX4 ZXi
4. Linea MJD
5. Jazz
6. Xylo

Xylo? Well, an odd man out in the list, but I really liked the space in all three rows and extremely good VFM. It fit in my criteria well enough. Ah, the criteria for me. Here it is
1. Comfortable for 5 adults on highways; and agile in Pune city.
2. Decent cost of running
3. Decent maintenance costs - post warranty
4. Not too much a stretch on my budget

I had to leave out ANHC though that would have been my first choice; but due to 4th parameter. :deadhorseI did not even TD that; all knowing that if I go for the TD, either I would burn my pocket or won't TD any other and wait till my pocket swells.

Now, coming from six sigma background, I had to somehow fit in a few numbers. Any decision has to be complemented equally by emotions and numbers, I think. So, I had prepared an xl sheet with all the parameters with rating scale. I meticulously filled in the xl after each TD. The result? well, its still a close match between...

Before I throw in the numbers, the "feel factor" first. So here are the positives and negatives of each one based on my TDs.

1. Jazz
+ Ergonomically placed controls
+ Airy and big feel of the cockpit
+ Decent space in the boot for the size
+ Rear "Magic" seats
+ The "H" factor. Dont know how relevent is it for others
- It's still a hatch
- Only 1.2 L for 800k?
- No Auto Climate Control; SO
- Too pricey for the features

2. Fiesta 1.4 SXi TDCi
+ Engine
+ Engine
+ Engine
+ Good package for the price
+ Cost of running well in my budget
- Cramped rear seat for three adults on highways
- No steering mounted controls

3. SX4 ZXi AT
+ Great improvement over old one. The engine is a lot more silent and smoother to feel
+ Space, Space and Space
+ 3 adults? Come on in
+ Great price, excellent features
- Looks bulky to handle for the Pune city traffic
- Fuel economy. After all, I have to fill up petrol tank also; and that's major parameter for me.
The dealer had only AT for the TD. So dont know how the MT would feel. MT is what I want ultimately.

4. Linea MJD
+ Great looks
+ Proven engine
+ Decent fuel economy. Cost of running in my budget.
- Maintenance is a big question mark
- Fit and finish after 2-3 years; will it maintain its sheen? Doubtful.

5. Xylo E6
+ Space in all three rows
+ Good AC
+ Great VFM
+ Mahindra Engine and service
- I definitely won't like to drive it within Pune city
- Doesn't look like a family vehicle; especially the grill and headlamps. Too tall a stance
- I didn't feel confident in sudden braking test and maneuvering test.
- Doesn't have basic safety features like ABS

I didn't do TD of Fiesta S though short-listed due to various posts suggesting its a great driver's car (what I wanted) but not so good rear seat comfort due to stiff suspension (what I care about - for my parents' comfort).

I have to create one more post I think, as my login session (I think 20 mins) would expire soon; and don't want to be staring at the screen reading "session expired" with all my typing effort going waste. So more later...

Quote:

Originally Posted by advaitlele (Post 1615545)
Based on what I saw on the forum and auto-mags, I narrowed down my TDs to
1. Fiesta 1.4 TDCi
2. Fiesta S
3. SX4 ZXi
4. Linea MJD
5. Jazz
6. Xylo
Xylo? Well, an odd man out in the list, but I really liked the space in all three rows and extremely good VFM. It fit in my criteria well enough. Ah, the criteria for me. Here it is
1. Comfortable for 5 adults on highways; and agile in Pune city.
2. Decent cost of running
3. Decent maintenance costs - post warranty
4. Not too much a stretch on my budget

Well, first thing will to decide will be Petrol or diesel.
If diesel, then have a look at Verna also. If you are not a high speed driver then Verna is worth a look. Also you have Dzire at one end and now even Manza, but I am not sure about A.S & S. and overall quality of Tata.

If its a petrol, I suggest you SX4. The new SX4 has taller gearing and engine is better than earlier unit. There is some increase in FE also. Space is good, ride and handling is good, GC is good and Maruti A.S & S. is better than others.

I would also suggest to go for the SX4 considering your requirements.

It looks hunky,has a great engine,superb features and lots of space. clap:

Regarding the FE,I can tell you I have consistently got over 11 with 100% AC on in city traffic(traffic snarls in Kolkata is :Shockked:)

There is a thread here as well for the FE for the SX4 owners and almost everyone has reported between 11-12kmpl.Its a big myth that SX4 is a fuel guzzler.

Very nice + and - you ahve given and exact to the point you have mentioned. by thway we are waitingf or the excel sheet also. Hope you will be sharing that also.

nice and brief TD review.
Suggest TD the fiesta S also prior taking a decision.

cramped rear seat for 3 adults - does this mean that all the time you have 3 persons sitting in the rear seat of the car?

In my opinion, out of the list there are three genuine contenders: The Xylo if you are O.K with its bulkiness in the city, the Linea and the SX4.

The linea comes with a four year warranty, and the paint job of fiat is one of the best. The sheen will last for years to come, so dont worry on that count. Also the warranty will put to rest the issue on maintenance cost, and the cost for oil and filter change will also not add to much as it needs to be done only once every 15000 Kms.

The sx4 is a nice vehicle, and if it does give a decent mileage, the suv like stance, and the space will make it a top contender.

If I were to decide amongst the three then I would go for the linea.

Thanks for the comments. Sorry I still dont know how to put multi-quotes so, bear with me.

@ Abhi - Petrol or Diesel is not a parameter for me. It has to be in budget. I have been driving petrols for last 7 years - M800 + Xeta; so Diesels would be a good change. Verna CRDi - I dont like looks, and its ~100k more to my pocket. So, not on my radar. DZire - NO WAY. I wont like to be seen in that ugly duckling. Sorry for words; its my opinion.

@ joy_swift - Thanks. The xl sheet would make it clear what I am leaning towards.

@ shishir_bn - Thanks. Uploaded with this post.

@ nairrk - 3 adults in rear seat. No; during the city driving. Yes; on all the long drives - Pune-Vadodara close to 600km oneway, almost every 3 months. Plus many trips to Konkan region almost every month i.e. close to 200 km one way. I surely want to drive Fiesta S; would like to own one. Only that rear-seat comfort factor is pulling me back. But; yes, suggestion taken, would TD that for sure, and may be thats what I would go for; numbers be damned :D

The comparision xl sheet uploaded here. Hope its useful.

The Dealer exp

Honda
1. He the sales guy knew exactly what he was talking; including all the technical details, very rare find in sales guys. Sorry again anyone in sales.
2. He was punctual. Gave me call exactly at the time I mentioned. Came with TD car exactly at a date/time I mentioned. Excellent. Way to go Honda.

Ford
1. Technicals - the sales guy knew most of the details. Confirmed to me later for a few things he did not know.
2. Confirmed a date/time; never arrived. Re-confirmed date/time; never arrived. I called back and then came an hr later from the confirmed time. Pathetic.

Maruti
1. The TD vehicle was not yet registered. So invited me to the showroom. Explained all the details; though went overboard and gave one piece of wrong info - told me headlamp leveller was a new device introduced first time in sub 10L category cars. I showed him that my 3.5 yrs old Xeta has one that cost me close to 3.8L OTR. He was...well said "Oh alright sir !!!"
2. Called me twice to arrange for the TD so that my wife can see that too. Yet to come to my home.

Fiat
1. Technicals - didn't know the difference between Multi-jet and quadra-jet; for one of the queries I asked him how come Manza has the same engine as Linea and it delivers 90PS and Linea only 76? He said this is designed that way so that it gives better mileage and stability. Manza being more powerful and "heighted" gives lesser mileage and lesser stability. :Shockked:. I didn't ask any questions after that.
2. Punctuality - Canceled TD once; gave me a call for that and re-arranged TD at my given time.

Xylo
1. The lesser I speak; the better. Was supposed to come; scheduled the TD THRICE. Never came. Said he was busy in something or the other. So I gave up on him. and Finally arrived at my office uninvited and called me on mobile saying "Sir I am in the parking of your office, can you come down for TD". What to say for such sales guys.

I am still confused between Fiesta 1.4 TDCi ZXi and SX4 ZXi. Hope sense prevails and I get one of these; beauty or the best I still dont know.

Advait, the Fiesta 1.4 and the SX4 are the most VFM in this list. Fitting three in the back seat of the Fiesta for a long drive is indeed going to be an issue. In fact none of the C segment cars except probably the Manza can carry three in comfort at the back. The SX4 is marginally better than the Fiesta in the back. But then the Fiesta is great fun to drive and it will give you fantastic mileage.

How much is FE for new SX4 Zxi? What company and dealer are claiming and what is actual on highway and city? Could you provide information?

@advait

The excel sheet was very comprehensive and well documented, appreciate that. However I personally feel it would be unfair to compare a petrol vehicle with Diesel one. As per excel file it seems you are more incline towards SX4 but my gut feeling says you will eventually end up with Fiesta coz the final thing that matters is the cost and After sales maintenance where running cost as mentioned in the file for Fiesta is less than SX4. May the King Solomon in you prevail and you come up with the right judgment. All the best for the same.

Nice thread and very useful XL, I have almost the very same requirements and will be watching this one carefully... One thing re SX4, have seen a few posts re major discounts available in Bangalore so am hoping the same will be available in Pune shortly as well...

Also don't see any extra points in your XL to the SX4 AT for being the only AT available in your shortlist! But the price mentioned (8.34 lakhs) reads like the on-road price for the SX4 MT instead, what gives?? And at that price SX4 MT comes with a 3 yr/ 60,000 kms warranty...

Not too sure about the back seat 3 passenger comfort though, that hump in the middle is STILL uncomfortable for an adult to sit on... Manza is the only one that can really deliver the goods in this.

As you can divine, I am looking at the SX4 seriously :-)

If you have lot of highway driving, I would say Linea would be the apt choice. It's the best around.
It's rear seat is very spacious and comfortable with rear AC vents/ sunblind. There's lot of shoulder room for 3 adults at the back, although people over 6 feet might have trouble sitting near windows (due to sloping roof).

My next choice would be SX4 due to it's good GC and cheap maintenance.
Has maruti removed that rear seat hump in middle in new SX4s? If not then it can't seat 3 people at back.

@ mrwalker - The new SX4 has really worked well for the middle seat hump which was so irritating in the old model. I did try that by sitting for close to 6km near Parvati hill area while the sales guy was driving; and another one from the dealer sitting next to me on backseat; so that I can feel the space/comfort the 3 adults would feel at back. Reg. the price - ZXi MT is 8.34 OTR and AT is 9.03 OTR (Source :Chowgule brochure). Not sure about the discounts in Pune.

@ ghodlur - you are right. Its unfair to compare petrol vs diesel. But I really like both, the beauty and the beast; so comparo has to be done.

Manza is worth watching and TD'ing. Nobody can beat Tata for the rear seat space/comfort. I can vouch for that driving Xeta for 3.5+ yrs. The VFM proposition makes it unbeatable. ~6.5L OTR for petrol top end and ~7.5L OTR for diesel top-end version. It really fits my budget well.

PS : Got a call from the sales guy from Honda. He recently joined VW dealer here. According to him, Polo sedan would be here in Feb end and would be around 8L OTR. That makes it worth the waiting, does it? Gurus, plz advise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by advaitlele (Post 1615984)
@ mrwalker - The new SX4 has really worked well for the middle seat hump which was so irritating in the old model. I did try that by sitting for close to 6km near Parvati hill area while the sales guy was driving; and another one from the dealer sitting next to me on backseat; so that I can feel the space/comfort the 3 adults would feel at back. Reg. the price - ZXi MT is 8.34 OTR and AT is 9.03 OTR (Source :Chowgule brochure). Not sure about the discounts in Pune.

OK, if you're happy that's all that matters! Re TD, did you get an AT or an MT for the TD? Reason for asking is that none of the MS dealers in Pune seem to have an MT, which is the only one I'm interested in.

Also my confusion was caused by the fact that the attached XL sheet mentions "SX4 ZXi AT" in the column heading but then the price at the bottom is the OTR price for ZXi MT instead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by advaitlele (Post 1615794)
Thanks for the comments. Sorry I still dont know how to put multi-quotes so, bear with me.
@ Abhi - Petrol or Diesel is not a parameter for me. It has to be in budget. I have been driving petrols for last 7 years - M800 + Xeta; so Diesels would be a good change. Verna CRDi - I dont like looks, and its ~100k more to my pocket. So, not on my radar. DZire - NO WAY. I wont like to be seen in that ugly duckling. Sorry for words; its my opinion.

Fiat
1. Technicals - didn't know the difference between Multi-jet and quadra-jet; for one of the queries I asked him how come Manza has the same engine as Linea and it delivers 90PS and Linea only 76? He said this is designed that way so that it gives better mileage and stability. Manza being more powerful and "heighted" gives lesser mileage and lesser stability. :Shockked:. I didn't ask any questions after that.

1) Sure, looks are subjective. I am not a big fan of Dzire, but the only reason I mentioned is because its wonderful VFM.

2) In Linea the motor makes around 86 bhp. Both Linea and Manza benefit from VGT. Suzuki is tied down to use low powered version. But in Manza, they have tuned it a lot towards FE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by advaitlele (Post 1615984)

Manza is worth watching and TD'ing. Nobody can beat Tata for the rear seat space/comfort. I can vouch for that driving Xeta for 3.5+ yrs. The VFM proposition makes it unbeatable. ~6.5L OTR for petrol top end and ~7.5L OTR for diesel top-end version. It really fits my budget well.

PS : Got a call from the sales guy from Honda. He recently joined VW dealer here. According to him, Polo sedan would be here in Feb end and would be around 8L OTR. That makes it worth the waiting, does it? Gurus, plz advise.

3) You are thoroughly confused between Fiesta diesel and SX4. I will any given day prefer SX4 for its space and other things like GC, A.S & S. Basically, IMHO, SX4 is a more practical buy. And its not entirely that SX4 is not a good handler. Its comes right in there after Fiesta. The recently improved VVT motor is vastly improved and gearing is a bit taller too ( as I mentioned earlier ).

Now adding Manza is going to create more confusion, but at the end of the day, you will find it good.
Manza offers a lot for the price. The back seat is inclined at 28 deg, same as S-class ( read this in OD ). Boot space is inice, though not as large as SX4.