Team-BHP - Hyundai i20 Asta - The initial days
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Hyundai i20 Asta - The initial days (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/71056-hyundai-i20-asta-initial-days.html)

It has been exactly 2 months and 6 days to date,since I took delivery of a i20 1.2 Asta version.

What car

So when we decided to get a car for my parents,the choice was kind of simple.It has to be a hatchback and a spacious one at that.It has to HAVE safety features - ABS \ Airbags etc.Now we only had i20 and GP going against each other.These two were the ones within the budget.Heart said GP and even brother felt the same.But then mind tookover and slowly we wanted to play it safe,or so we thought and decided to go for i20 Asta version.

Purchase and Delivery

Took quotes from dealers in my native and also in Coimbatore.Chose the coimbatore dealer as he promised the delivery in 10 days as against the 3-4 weeks from the one in Tirunelveli\Tuticorin.I was really impressed with the efficieny of the staff at
Suryabala Hyundai,Coimbatore.It was a hassle free process.Could only get Sunfilm \ tefflon coating \mudflaps \ mats as complimentary.I wanted to get the insurance and registration(at Tuticorin) done myself.Booked the car on 13th Sep and on 19th was told that the car has reached them.In the meanwhile I decided to go with the pre-approved loan I had from HDFC and the process was over as well.Decided to go with Bajaj allianz for insurance.I was an existing customer and also I got good quote from them.

Wifey was admitted in hospital on 24th Sep with our first baby due and hence there was no urgency from my side to take delivery of the car.Was blessed with a babyboy on 26th September and then decided that would bring home the car on the very same day
he gets to go home as well.So finally on Oct 1st took delivery of the car with Temp registration done in Coimbatore,drove straight to hospital,picked up wifey\infant and reached home.It was indeed a dream come true for me.

Initial days

Decided to keep the car with me until the run-in is completed.So left Petra at Coimbatore and on 5th October left to Chennai in i20.The user manual said to keep the car between 2000 - 4000 rpm and not drive on same speed.Kept this in mind and never went beyond 3500RPM and with varying speed as well.I thoroughly enjoyed the drive and the car was well planted and behaved extremely well on the highways.Returned back to Coimbatore on 9th Oct and left the car for the first free servicing on 10th Oct at Suryabala Hyundai with the odo reading 11xx kms.

The very next day,the car left to my parents place in Tuticorin.Once there the permanent registration was completed.I was reunited with my Petra in the meanwhile.

Beginning of the trouble

With a family function scheduled in Nov 1st week,parents came in i20 to Coimbatore.While driving it,I noticed that there was a rattling noise coming from the front right side of the car.It was noticeable only while driving on rough \ uneven roads.I took the car to Chandra Hyundai,Coimbatore on 9/11/2009.The service advisor took TD on my car and duly acknowledged the issue.I was informed that Hyundai had sent a circular to their authorised service centre's that if i20 comes with this issue,then change the bush in steering dampner assembly(The technical name I was given was Yoke pad and spring).

Got the job card done and was promised that the car would be ready by evening.When I went in the evening,to my utter shock found that the work was NOT done as Chandra Hyundai didnt have the said part in stock.Called Suryabala Hyundai from there and
they duly informed that they indeed had the part in stock and could fix it.So on 10/11/2009,I took the car to SuryaBala Hyundai.They too mentioned about the circular from Hyundai and took the car in.The work was duly completed and I got back the car by 2PM the same day.I took it for a TD and noticed that the noise was gone and the steering had become a bit tight.But it wasnt causing any undue alarm.However I did notice that the car was slightly pulling to the left and I was thinking to get the wheel alignment done during the next service.With this,I thought,my car was back to normal and left for Chennai the next day.

However in another 10 days time,the same issue recurred.In addition to this also had vibration coming from the left side panel of the car.Till date,I am not able to pin down which panel causes it.My doubts are on the leftside ORVM casing.Was completely pissed off with the steering column rattle and shot of a mail to Hyundai's customer care.Got a call next day
morning from Suryabala Hyundai asking me if I had lodged a complaint against them.Was surprised at this,as my grievance was against Hyundai and not their dealer.Told them the whole story and came across Mubeen's thread here on TBhp.Also read about couple of other owner's of i20 too having had this problem and getting the bush\pad replaced.

So took an apointment from Hyundai Motor plaza for 3rd December.Got back the car on 5th Dec morning.Have driven around for 2 days and the steering column noise seems to have disappeared.Keeping my fingers crossed since the last time too the problem
went away only to re-appear in 10 days.But the irritating vibration from the left side remains.

The novelty of the new car,unfortunately for me,has faded away too soon and I am really left scratching my head wondering if at all I took the correct decision.To make matters worse,this was the car for my parents - a car that should give them absolutely trouble free ownership,kind of "Fill it,shut it,forget it" types.This,and this alone,was the sole reason I had to tear myself away from a Tata-Fiat showroom and away from a Exotica Red GrandePunto.I told myself,A** of TATA - Fiat is not upto mark yet and with the car about to do duty in a sleepy southern hamlet of Tamilnadu,I didnt want to take risks.But now the very reason behind the purchase decision itself seems to be defeated,my i20 has visited the service centre 4 times(Ok,lets exclude the 1 time it went for First free servicing and that makes it 3 times in 60 days)for a problem which isnt fully rectified yet.

Now the car is with me as I want to hand over the car to my dad only after rectifying this issue completely

Things I like about the car
-Looks;Its a stunner
-Loaded completely;I especially love the electrically foldable mirrors;I fold them while stopping at signals when the 2 wheeler's get too close for comfort
-Seats provide very good comfort
-Fat tyres;Handling is very very good

Things that Hyundai could have improved
-A more powerful engine maybe;1.2 is simply not enough for this car;Below 2000rpm you can feel the car struggling to pull;For me personally it was difficult to adjust being used to the 1.6 Petra
-A security system without an alarm - Common Hyundai you could have done better here
-OE music system quality could have been better

Adding few pics of the car

Quote:

Jraj: A security system without alarm
Did you try opening the door using the key? Did the alarm go off?
Most cars come with a security system where the unlocking/locking is silent but the alarm goes off whenever its opened without unlocking through remote. Even my Elantra has a similar system.

Congrats on your i20.! Nice set of pics there.
I hope, for Hyundai's own good, that the rattling/vibrations are gone for this time.Really frustating to have a new car visit the service center 3 times in such a short period.Kills the joy of owning it.:Frustrati

[quote=.anshuman;1621004]Did you try opening the door using the key? Did the alarm go off?
QUOTE]
I tried that.Nothing happened.Actually,there is no alarm at all.

The user manual says,the car horn would go off if we open with the key.But even that didnt happen.Maybe fellow i20 user's can confirm this

There is no alarm in the i20. Refer to wildon's thread for more info, he's onto a DIY for the security alarm I think.

Everyone has problems with a new car every now and then.

The i20 is truly a wonderful hatch and is selling extremely well. So if your problem persists I am sure Hyundai will take care of it. A dealer sometimes messes up and does not rectify a problem completely.

Do not be disheartened. It's a great car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by .anshuman (Post 1621004)
Did you try opening the door using the key? Did the alarm go off?
Most cars come with a security system where the unlocking/locking is silent but the alarm goes off whenever its opened without unlocking through remote. Even my Elantra has a similar system.

yes elantra has that! my friend has one! infact most of the stock security system are like that! big cars get this type of security system!
you dont get that locked/unlock sound!. infact i think its more cooler than the usual cheap security system! no sound is kinda cool! and i like it!.
when theft is detected it will go off for sure with loud noise :p

oh i forgot to congratulate you on the birth of your little bundle of joy! (he must be sleeping all the time i guess):D

i cannot believe hyundai would give you such problems! hope its get sorted in the end!

Congrats for your baby boy and the Uber Cool i20:)

I just hope that all your problems with the beauty are attended and rectified soon by Hyundai and hope that the problem is sorted out by Hyundai and doesn't appear in future because I also went with i20 over GP thinking of a Hassle free ownership but this issue is just worrying me now, even before I get my car:Frustrati

Don't worry about the issues. Hyundai is generally customer friendly. You've bought the car I'd buy if I had that budget. I certainly don't think you should regret it.

Congrats on your new possession and on the new addition to your family. Few are lucky enough to get the car and baby at the same day in their life.

As for the rattles - don't worry. Hyundai A.S.S is generally competent enough to deal with these, though I know that the steering bush thing is fairly common problem in both i10 and i20 (and I am suspecting that my i10 might have it - have to drive on bad roads more to nail that).

Enjoy the precious moments with your kid and your car.

Thanks all for your comments and wishes.

Hope this problem gets rectified ASAP.Taking the car back to HMP tomorrow.Will update this thread once the car is back

The car is back at Hyundai Motor Plaza Chennai today.

Reason:Same steering column issue.The 4th visit to the service bay on the 68th day of ownership.

"I am pissed off" is an understatement

Dont worry too much. I guess one doesn't have much choice when ones new car gets into issues right after its bought. So only option is to get it repaired/replaced under warranty. When a particular unit gives trouble we seem to blame the Car manufacturer who has sold so many of those same units elsewhere. I would say its sheer bad luck to end up with such a situation. :Frustrati

Even I liked the Hyundai i20 and The GP, only reason I went for GP because i20 felt underpowered in 2nd gear, else i20 was the there in my mind till the last minute. Everything else is nice in i20, I was about to book it, even the Hyundai A.S.S was about 0.5 km from my place but due to long waiting time and it being a underpowered I had to settle for GP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by samsan02 (Post 1627132)
Dont worry too much. I guess one doesn't have much choice when ones new car gets into issues right after its bought. So only option is to get it repaired/replaced under warranty. When a particular unit gives trouble we seem to blame the Car manufacturer who has sold so many of those same units elsewhere. I would say its sheer bad luck to end up with such a situation. :Frustrati

Samson,
I dont think I am alone on this;Check the following links too

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1626141

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1624462

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1627153

I would write to Hyundai about this. I can understand, it is damn annoying.