Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 21:46   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Looks like they were rehearsing for a marathon relay (too ubiquitous in cities these days) and lacked enough batons. Hence, snatched ORVMs and ran Sorry, couldn't resist.
-BJ
It sounds funny but its true, this happened when he was waiting at a traffic signal.
Old 9th December 2009, 23:22   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil on Wheels View Post
I felt something was missing and expressed my concern to my dear wife. Suddenly she screamed, "STOP THE CAR!!!! the mirror (ORVM) from my side is missing". I was like " " I tried to look the other way, hurling profanity at no one in particular under my breath, when I noticed the ORVM from the driver' side was also missing
I find it interesting how no one noticed that you were on the move and you didn't notice that your ORVMs were missing, (This is evident from the text in bold).

I agree that it was a bad experience, but as suggested earlier you should keep a longer distance between yourself and the vehicles in front of you at speed, and you need to start using your ORVMs while driving. It's something you should've noticed before moving out of your parking slot.

Sorry, but ORVMs are one of the most important safety features of a car IMO, it can prevent many an accident (side swiping).

Cheers,
Hope you replace the ORVMs ASAP.
Old 9th December 2009, 23:30   #33
Senior - BHPian

Let's give this guy a break, shall we! Driving a vehicle as large as a Safari entails one to use the ORVMs the most, and I am sure he uses them. What is sad is that his car has been vandalized. A lecture on why ORVMs should be used should be kept for later (or never, in this situation)
Old 9th December 2009, 23:38   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
First of all you are at fault for the front end bang up. It is very easy to say that the guy in front braked suddenly but if you could not stop then you were too close for the given speed. Expensive lesson for you but other can take heed.

If you had stopped and then the rear end bang caused your vehicle to crash the front as well then you were driving safely and it was matter of bad luck to have a bad driver behind you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Let's give this guy a break, shall we! Driving a vehicle as large as a Safari entails one to use the ORVMs the most, and I am sure he uses them. What is sad is that his car has been vandalized. A lecture on why ORVMs should be used should be kept for later (or never, in this situation)
Frank how come you didn't reply similarly to Sudev's post quoted above?

Besides whatever the situation may be, the fact that TBhp advocates safe driving entails the use of ORVMs as you know. And as is taught in driving schools across the world, one must glance at them prior to moving out of a parking slot. That is what prompted my response. Better safe than sorry.

I hope all TBhpians take head of the same.
Old 10th December 2009, 11:57   #35
BHPian

I am sorry for what happened to you, but these things happen mate. My car stereo was stolen and the window broken by someone, he even took about 30 odd cd's of mine.
I was sad for some days but then, what to do !
Old 10th December 2009, 14:01   #36
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about all this man. What is the repair bill like ? Any photos ?
Old 11th December 2009, 11:13   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Besides whatever the situation may be, the fact that TBhp advocates safe driving entails the use of ORVMs as you know. And as is taught in driving schools across the world, one must glance at them prior to moving out of a parking slot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
I find it interesting how no one noticed that you were on the move and you didn't notice that your ORVMs were missing, (This is evident from the text in bold).

I agree that it was a bad experience, but as suggested earlier you should keep a longer distance between yourself and the vehicles in front of you at speed, and you need to start using your ORVMs while driving. It's something you should've noticed before moving out of your parking slot.
First the clarifications.

I can not drive the Safari without the ORVMs. For 2 days my Safari was parked at my residence and I was driving my good old Alto.

I was unable to notice the ORVMs before moving as it was parked on the side of the road, not in a parking lot. There was nothing parked on either side, so I just moved forward without having the need to look in to the RVMs.

The reaction from my wife came when I was taking the first turn and asked her to open the ORVMs. So I guess that settles the debate about my habit of not using the ORVMs.

As regards the freak accident and tailgating. Well to be honest, at that point of time, I was a fairly new driver as far as Safari was concerned. And didn't knew what was a safe distance to maintain at what speed. Lets just say I have learned all my lessons in life, the hard way.

I did got the ORVMs replaced, MRP 3,995/- a piece plus 1,500/- for painting the ORVMs in body colour, plus taxes. One of the Dhingra' from Dhingra Motors, GGN turned out to be a good friend of my colleague and was kind enough to round off the bill to 9,000/-.

It turns out this problem is more common than I would have liked to believe.

And we are the reason, why so many Safari ORVMs get stolen everyday. Yes you read it right, we the Safari owners are responsible.

Here's how this system works.

A Safari looses its ORVMs in an accident or theft, the car owner goes to an unauthorised service center or a street side vendor rather going to TASS, as the street side vendor will sell the same ORVMs for probably 1500 or 2000 a piece, about 50% of what it will cost at the TASS. Ever wondered how these vendors manage to sell the ORVMs at 50% of its actual cost??

They are able to becuase they never buy it from Tata Motors. The street side vendor will sell you ORVMs which have been stolen from some other unsuspecting Safari owner. A vicious cycle which can be stopped only if we the Safari owners stop buying the so called "second hand" ORVMs.

I would request all fellow BHpians to discourage every one within their friend circle from buying these second hand ORVMs. I know as honest citizens, anyone from T-BHP will never go to such vendors, but we form a very small percentage of all Safari owners. As the catch line for Tiger conservation says: "If the buying stops, the killing will stop." Lets try and do whatever we can to help ourselves.

I was also planning to get the Autocop gear lock installed, but I have been advised not to do so. As the gear lock will stop me from adjusting the seat freely and I may even end up damaging the seat, which costs about 42,000/-. Most importantly, a seat which gets damaged in this manner will not be covered either by warranty or insurance.

Moreover, it was pointed out to me that, the factory fitted security system which comes with Safari GX is more than capable in preventing theft.

Motion sensors are a headache as everyone has pointed out. What I did come across during my research on car security was a website with goes by the name of LoJack Car Security System for Stolen Vehicle Recovery. This company sells IMHO probably the best car tracking system. But unfortunately they do not have a presence in India. There is however a company called AutoTracker, which sells something very similar. The guy from Autotracker is supposed to meet me today and give me a demo. If anyone has got this system installed in their cars I would really appreciate if they can share their expience/feedback.

Cheers!!!
Old 11th December 2009, 15:16   #38
Senior - BHPian

dont do a compromise on Gear lock, the more devices you have on your car, the more the deterrence for someone to try to steal your car.

do check a thread by manuuj on 2nd attempted steal of his scorpio.
Old 11th December 2009, 23:12   #39
R_R
BHPian

Sorry about your various mishaps. Some of these things, you just can't do much about. I know it hurts particularly bad when your vehicle is new but as other have pointed out, since the vehicle itself is fine, and only some replaceable parts have been lost/damaged, try to take it in stride. Less than a year back, I lost two relatively new tyres from my Indica, in addition to many small accidents, mostly (but not always) because of others' bad driving. Always hurts. Am sure everyone sympathises. But enjoy your ride: A Safari GX!
Old 12th December 2009, 10:35   #40
Senior - BHPian

Well I guess time has come to look for a cheaper replacement, a RVM which fits the clamps provided for Safari, but it non-motorized and cheap, (tavera?? ones).

For people living, parking in prone areas, this is the only next best option to look at.
Old 14th December 2009, 16:38   #41
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear this. I remember GX has integrated turn indicators. This seems to be passionate for guys to steal. There are situations where the turn indicators are pulled from the ORVM just for fun.

Its really a pain to get them fixed each time when stolen. Better to search in gujiri's instead of shelling out 9K every time.
Old 14th December 2009, 16:46   #42
Senior - BHPian

Motorised ORVMs are favourite of the thieves and every now and then there are these instances in delhi.

We all just need safe parking places.And its very costly part too.

Maybe TATA should offer a plain vanila type ORVM too alongwith Motorised ORVM.
Old 14th December 2009, 18:25   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil on Wheels View Post
First the clarifications.

I can not drive the Safari without the ORVMs. For 2 days my Safari was parked at my residence and I was driving my good old Alto.
===========
If anyone has got this system installed in their cars I would really appreciate if they can share their expience/feedback.

Cheers!!!
I am not sure if this system will meet your needs but there is a Mumbai-based company that also offers a similar product. You can check the details on MicroVBB

I have seen the product in action during their demos and can say it is a product worth considering. You can get in touch with them for a demo and see for yourself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks