Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2010, 16:35   #46
NIP
Senior - BHPian

AMAZING looking Bolero you have there !! The trailer is really too cool !

Would love to know more on the 'mesh grill' you have, like cost, material etc. Please post some WIP pics if you have any.

Happy Motoring !!
Old 16th June 2010, 18:16   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslamHussain View Post
You guys have all seen the pics of the trailer now see the making of it.

I am not sure what kind of trailer it is, my most close guess would be a mahindra trailer.

New body built along with mud guards.
Bolero trailer needed bolero tail lamps – cavities for them were also cut out.

Colored black ofcourse!
This does looks like a Mahindra trailer. Nice transformation from that. I first thought when looking at the trailer that it was a fabrication from scratch.. however this transformation is excellent.

And the icing on the cake is the trailer does not get step-motherly treatment. Bolero tail lamps, stickering and the same A-class Mickey Thompson style alloys for the trailer as well. Hats off to your passion.

Quote:
...... and when you have a whole family to pick up from the airport/railway stations .. luggage etc.
Excellent Point. However do get those brakes set for the trailer, all that extra weight you would need some good stopping power for the trailer.

Hooked to this thread.

Can someone point me to josepeter's thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Hello Islam,
Bumped into your thread via your post in "The Official alloy wheel show off thread".
Same here. Would have missed this thread altogether.
Old 16th June 2010, 19:06   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
IronWolf : And the icing on the cake is the trailer does not get step-motherly treatment.
+1.

@Aslam, One question though : why did you not go for a full width trailer ? right now, the trailer bay is confined to the section in between the wheels. You would have also got more space for the luggage.
Old 16th June 2010, 19:13   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

The cover to the trailer is only a soft top or a hard top as well under it? If not, you should consider getting a lockable hard top to prevent thefts when parked. I assume that the trailer itself is secured to the car properly and locked.
Old 16th June 2010, 20:50   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Aslam, thats an excellent Bolero you have there! You've done a splendid job executing the mods. Get the taillamps smoked like those on josepeter's Bolero.
Would definitely add to the looks.

Rating this thread as well.
For a minute I was schocked when I read your post as "excluding the mods" ...lol. Many thanks for the advice and rating the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
The Bolero looks awesome friend.
Somehow the shape of the holes in the mesh grill does'nt do justice. Dont you get the square ones that are smaller in size and thickness?
And do post some interior pics too. Have you done any mods to the seats?
I dont personally think the square holes to the grill would look good. I think you should see the Bolero in flesh first. I have planned to get Innova seats in the front row as the stock Bolero one's are pain for long drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
AMAZING looking Bolero you have there !! The trailer is really too cool !

Would love to know more on the 'mesh grill' you have, like cost, material etc. Please post some WIP pics if you have any.

Happy Motoring !!
Thanks mate, unfortunately I do not have WIP pics of the grill. However, its not a simple job and costed me 2 new Bolero grills before the so called fabricator could give me the perfect cut. The cut involved the Bolero's stock front grill/mesh to be cut off to give only the outer frame, the holed mesh you see was picked up from a random iron sheet shop - cut to size colored and then fitted to the fabricated frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
This does looks like a Mahindra trailer. Nice transformation from that. I first thought when looking at the trailer that it was a fabrication from scratch.. however this transformation is excellent.

And the icing on the cake is the trailer does not get step-motherly treatment. Bolero tail lamps, stickering and the same A-class Mickey Thompson style alloys for the trailer as well. Hats off to your passion.

Excellent Point. However do get those brakes set for the trailer, all that extra weight you would need some good stopping power for the trailer.

Hooked to this thread.

Can someone point me to josepeter's thread.

Same here. Would have missed this thread altogether.
"Step Motherly Treatment" I loved that phrase. Yes, I definitely wanted to have a trailer that matched a Bolero. The brakes are being done up as I write this post.

I have already had 2 trips to the airport and farm house with not so heavy stuff in the trailer (without the brakes) and it didnt harm much. I was more worried about the trailer when unhooking it from the Bolero.

The trailer is being fitted with a hand brake which can be used ony when parking it and not while it is hooked to the jeep.

As a matter of fact I was amazed myself when I drove the Bolero with the trailer for the first time. You just dont feel you have something so heavy / big hooked up to your jeep. Unless of course when in traffic.

Here is the link to Jose's thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ed-bolero.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
+1.

@Aslam, One question though : why did you not go for a full width trailer ? right now, the trailer bay is confined to the section in between the wheels. You would have also got more space for the luggage.
I actually wanted a much smaller trailer -more for cosmetic use but my cousin (and my advisor on cars) didnt think it would be justified to have a trailer which would not suit the purpose of carrying stuff around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
The cover to the trailer is only a soft top or a hard top as well under it? If not, you should consider getting a lockable hard top to prevent thefts when parked. I assume that the trailer itself is secured to the car properly and locked.
It is only a soft top. I plan to get another soft top like the one in jeeps (with the pipes that come off when dismounted) which would cover the heightened goods being carried in it. Did you notice the holes for this purpose in the trailer's 4 corners?

The trailer is only hooked to the bolero's pintle hook, for safety goods being transported are never left unattended

Having a hard top would have defintely reuined the purpose of a having a trailer altogether (IMHO). I have never seen a trailer with a hard top - right from the old low bonette Bendam's to the newer Mahindra ones.
Old 17th June 2010, 16:45   #51
BHPian

Hi Aslam,

Superb job on the restoration. Very tastefully done. The trailer is just superb! Solves a lot of problems, especially regarding the luggage, when you have a full complement of passengers.
Just a quick question: Having put the 16" alloys, how do you find ride and the handling quality?

Quote:
The trailer is only hooked to the bolero's pintle hook, for safety goods being transported are never left unattended
What about the safety of the trailer itself? Since its only hooked to the pintle hook, isn't there a possibility of someone unhooking it and driving off with it? I'm sure you have thought about this aspect. Please share, what you are doing about it.
Old 17th June 2010, 18:16   #52
BHPian

Please can you post more about the roof lights. Where did you source the Q7 lights from, what price, fitment etc etc

It sure will be joy on a pitch dark road
Old 17th June 2010, 23:19   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
Hi Aslam,

Superb job on the restoration. Very tastefully done. The trailer is just superb! Solves a lot of problems, especially regarding the luggage, when you have a full complement of passengers.
Just a quick question: Having put the 16" alloys, how do you find ride and the handling quality?

What about the safety of the trailer itself? Since its only hooked to the pintle hook, isn't there a possibility of someone unhooking it and driving off with it? I'm sure you have thought about this aspect. Please share, what you are doing about it.
The 16" alloys have definitely increased the height of the Bolero and the only problem I have faced was the rear tyres scrapping the side caddings just above the wheel - only when driven with people at full seating capacity. This was solved with the read leaf springs being moped to the right size.

Again this had to be THE right size of moping, since a drastic height increase would have made the Bolero very bumpy. I have also noticed that the Bolero's PS never had a prob with the big wheels in fact I felt it got smoother with the 16" wheels.

The transformation from the stock tyres to the Silverstones has definitely made the overall ride smoother even while taking over bumpy roads and speed breakers. Although the increased height does give you a scare during high speed curves until you get used to it (or used to managing the speed of the vehicle / curve deepness).

In terms of engine performance I didnt quiet feel much of a difference as we all know DI engines have low BHP, except that the odometer gives you the wrong reading. I dont use my Bolero to drive fast, I feel pride in moving around in it at an average speed and looking at people admiring it all along

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post
Please can you post more about the roof lights. Where did you source the Q7 lights from, what price, fitment etc etc

It sure will be joy on a pitch dark road
I dont have the address / name of the guy in Mumbai who sold them to me, it was at Opera House (if you move around that street I am sure you can find out). The fitment was quiet easy with a simple square rod fitted above the winshield and the lights fitted on top of it. The hollow square made way for the wires to hide. I do not have any WIP pics for it but will try to get you close up pictures of the lights for better understanding.

It sure is a joy as they are quiet powerful and once while on the highway my HIDs gave away ... we drove for almost 300 KMS on these and the parking lights.
Old 18th June 2010, 20:14   #54

thats a great looking bolero aslam. can you share the exact model of the konig wheels you have on your beast. i bumped into this thread like others while looking for wheels for my safari. i tried looking up on the konig site but these are not listed. Really appreciate your help. I'll bug you the next time am in hyd to check out the bolero in person, Cheers!
Old 18th June 2010, 22:01   #55
BHPian

Sorry Nitin but I have lost the exact model of my Alloys, but I will definitely get you that by Monday .. will PM you. Of course you are more than welcome to show (off ) my Bolero to you.
Old 24th June 2010, 12:28   #56
BHPian

Hey Aslam, i've seen you at Bazar Ghat, near Mallepally/Vijay Nagar Colony. Your Bolero was parked very close by to Glory Cinema.

I saw your Bolero there and by the time I could realise, return back to confirm if I wasn't mistaken, you were already taking off. I was beside you on my Chota-Mota Avenger bike.

This was about 3 days ago, to be precise on Tuesday night at around 10:30's time.
Old 24th June 2010, 12:43   #57

Dear Aslam Bhai, I am picking ip my very own Mahindra Bolero in the next few days. I have used the various Mahindras including the Scorpio and Xylo earlier and various off roaders in my postings in Africa. Though my company had a fleet of Bolero's for service activity could never lay my hands on one. I live in Hyd and would like to touch base with you. May I request your cell number. Mine is 8978244003. Regards,
Srinath
Old 24th June 2010, 13:01   #58
BHPian

I am sure you must have the function hall and all the shops next to Glory cinema belong to a cousin of mine and I frequent his place a lot.

Do you live close by?
Old 24th June 2010, 13:08   #59
BHPian

Quote:
I am sure you must have the function hall and all the shops next to Glory cinema belong to a cousin of mine and I frequent his place a lot.

Do you live close by?
Yes, i've seen you near the Function Hall. Your Bolero was parked a few shops away from the Function Hall. By the time I could reconfirm myself by taking a look at your number AP 04, you were already on the move.

Yup! I do stay close by to that place.
Old 24th June 2010, 13:32   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath1965 View Post
Dear Aslam Bhai, I am picking ip my very own Mahindra Bolero in the next few days. I have used the various Mahindras including the Scorpio and Xylo earlier and various off roaders in my postings in Africa. Though my company had a fleet of Bolero's for service activity could never lay my hands on one. I live in Hyd and would like to touch base with you. May I request your cell number. Mine is 8978244003. Regards,
Srinath
I have sent you a PM with my contact details. Please feel free to call me anytime convenient with you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks