Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2009, 03:21   #1
BHPian

Experience of buying a used Bolero. And modifications Phase 1

My passion for Jeeps and 4x4’s made me decide to buy a Bolero and this is where my search for a used Bolero (clocked less than 40k) began after selling my 2007 Innova in August 2009. Hyderabad I noticed didn’t have many Bolero’s with the used car dealers or in the Sunday DC! I was disappointed for a few weeks as all I could find were colors I didn’t want. My search brought me to the extend where car dealers knew my name and phone number. Repeated assurances from them didn’t convince me.

Three months of patiently waiting for this beauty made me frustrated enough to look for one outside of Hyderabad as one of my friend suggested to me that Bolero’s were more common in the hilly areas of Andhra Pradesh. Hence, me and my friend were reroute to Vijayawada in my Accent as the broker we spoke to had information of a black Bolero there. Once there we didn’t like the Bolero although it was black due to various reasons not important to mention here. Disappointed we were about to leave back for home when our new friend in Vijayawada informed us of a Bolero in Kadappa.

One stop at the petrol pump and we were on our way to Kadappa via the ghats where our late Chief Minister YSR had died in the copter crash. Our new accompany asked us not to stop on the ghats for anything as it might be the naxals!! At least that made me lose my sleep for the rest of the journey.

Kadappa was the same story as Vijayawada and we made a few more calls to find out that there was a very good black Bolero in Tadipatti (70 Kms from Anantapur). With the final few drops of patience left in me, we decided to go there as the last stop (we decided the road back to Hyd from there would be better as it was the Hyd-Blr highway).

Reached Tadipatti after 2 days from being away from home and finally got to see a decent looking black Bolero SLX Di. Took it for a spin in the small town and both me and my friend were smiling from ear to ear. Bargained on the price with the owner and agreed on higher price readily and gave him an advance with a promise to come back the next day with the rest of the formalities.

The next day in Hyd we were tired as hell and slept for less then 6 hours and were on the bus to Tadipatti already. Reached there in the morning finished the formalities and were on our way with the beauty to Hyderabad finally.

Two days of rest and I started to think about the modifications that could be done to the Bolero.

Continuity on Modifications when I return to my laptop tomorrow.

Last edited by v12 : 12th December 2009 at 10:20.
Old 24th December 2009, 23:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Aslam on the Bolero. It definitely one real rugged vehicle. Please let us know the vital stats for the vehicle, like age/price etc. And no report is complete without pictures

@Mods: Shouldn't this be in ownership thread as the OP has already procured the vehicle.
Old 25th December 2009, 13:31   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Man, you really lust after the Bolero don't ya? First of all, you sell a 2 year old Innova for one, and then you travel hundreds of kms in your search. Alls well that ends well. Hope your Bolero DI keeps you happy, and look forward to a detailed driving report + pictures.

Speaking of upgrades, the best add-on for your "new" Bolero will be better quality tyres.

Also, I'm sure the '07 Innova fetched you a good price. Why didn't you go in for a brand new Bolero CRDe?
Old 25th December 2009, 14:09   #4
BHPian

Congrats aslam on the new acquisition. The bolero is really good looking once you put on nice shiny alloys and some good fat rubber on them(my views and GTO's Apparently). It will serve you for years and years to come. Do post some pics and let us know of the mods planned for your beast and like mile cruncher has already posted the vital stats of your beast. enjoy your new ride and drive safe..

Regard
Rocky
Old 26th December 2009, 16:30   #5
BHPian

Mile Cruncher I can’t tell you how many times I have read your and JosePeter’s posts before finally deciding to start posting here. Thanks to GTO I now know where my post is now, I earlier thought it was either lost in the forum – unnoticed or our dear mods just deleted it.
Vital stats: Model – 2008 November, Clocked around 37 K Kms, Color – Black. Bought it for 5.05 lakhs (includes commission to agents).
Old 26th December 2009, 16:59   #6
BHPian

Thanks GTO for directing me to the correct path!
Yes I definitely lusted after one for a very long time and yes I definitely thought about getting a new CRDe when I was getting impatient with the search for a black Bolero, I in fact booked a Bolero CRDe with the Automotive guys at Ranijung and then got it cancelled. However, the modifications I was looking to do didn’t permit me to get a new vehicle and then cut it to my desire.

UPGRADES/MODS TILL DATE:

WHEELS - 16” Alloys (KONIG) and SILVERSTONE tyres 245/70/16.
SPACERS - for my rear wheels as the front wheels after the upgrade were purging out (matched the purge)
Rear Camera – needs no explanation
FOG LAMPS – Hella 4000 pair
FRONT GRILL – this was definitely inspired from JosePeter’s Bolero.
Colored the side biddings with black and removed the silver grayish on it.
Top lights – right above the windshield 4 in all (these are the Q7 fog lights they factory fit on the bumper)

Planned Upgrades:

LIGHT FORCE RC225/RC150 – top mountable light with remote (let me know if anyone knows where to get them in India)
Antenna – Probably a nice fishing rod from Dubai.
Snorkel – Getting it done already from Petes
Air Cleaner – On its way from Petes (Green Storm).
Jeep Trailer – Getting it custom made for the bolero and already purchased the Alloys and Rubber for it (same as the ones I already have on my bolero).
Don’t know yet if you get a Diesel engine booster / performance enhancer.
Haven’t decided on the ICE will let you guys know once I know what I want.

Let me know what you guys think of this. Comments / suggestions are always welcome.
Old 29th December 2009, 20:06   #7
BHPian

Sounds like an awesome ride! Please post pics.
Old 29th December 2009, 20:20   #8
BHPian

Congrats on the car... All the mods sounds great.
As the saying goes, all this doesnt go well in the thread until you post pics. Please post pics of your ride.
Happy Motoring
Old 30th December 2009, 11:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

@ Aslam: All the mods that you have explained will sure make the Bolero look stunner. But how is the acceleration with larger tyres?

Even though the engine has oodles of torque, it still produces only about 63 bhp, hence I would suggest changing the turbo if you want to get more power out of the same mill. Other wiseyou can install either a XD3P engine. Other options can inlude Isuzu/Toyota Diesel Engine.

And yes await pictures of your Bolero. Would be nice to have you in the next T-BHP meet.

Cheers
Old 30th December 2009, 11:20   #10
BHPian

Whoa...that sounds cool. Congrats on your bolero man.
Please post some post-modification photos.

PS: IMO you should also do up the interiors a litlle bit and then you'll have a perfect ride. [ICE+Leather Seats and Upholstry etc etc]

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th February 2010 at 21:54. Reason: Please avoid quoting an entire long post especially if its on same page, thanks
Old 30th December 2009, 11:26   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Why didn't you go in for a brand new Bolero CRDe?
as per Revvmaster on the phone, the DI handles and rides better, dunno why?
Old 30th December 2009, 11:36   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslamHussain View Post

LIGHT FORCE RC225/RC150 – top mountable light with remote (let me know if anyone knows where to get them in India)
Contact Allan, he imports them. He goes by the name xtreme power here on the forum

Quote:
Jeep Trailer – Getting it custom made for the bolero and already purchased the Alloys and Rubber for it (same as the ones I already have on my bolero).
Can you give more details regarding design. Also, don't you need a special license for towing?

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 30th December 2009 at 11:54. Reason: typo
Old 30th December 2009, 11:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
as per Revvmaster on the phone, the DI handles and rides better, dunno why?
The DI is less bouncy no doubt at slow speeds but anything over 80 the CRDe is rock stable and the steering is planted. Also on offroad its absolutely awesome even at high speeds.
Old 30th December 2009, 11:59   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
@ Aslam: All the mods that you have explained will sure make the Bolero look stunner. But how is the acceleration with larger tyres?

Even though the engine has oodles of torque, it still produces only about 63 bhp, hence I would suggest changing the turbo if you want to get more power out of the same mill. Other wiseyou can install either a XD3P engine. Other options can inlude Isuzu/Toyota Diesel Engine.

And yes await pictures of your Bolero. Would be nice to have you in the next T-BHP meet.

Cheers
I second that Milecruncher...
any updates to the engine ??
You talked about an engine transplant AslamHussain; whats the development on that front ?
And ofcourse the thread looks so bare without snaps.
Old 30th December 2009, 12:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

@aslam : wow, nice set of mods. Congratz on your buy.

Please post pics of your bolero. Any engine mods in the pipe line?

What are the legal formalities to attach a trailer to your Jeep? Do you need to take special permission/permit/license etc? Please do share the experiences.

Most Viewed