Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2009, 22:12   #46
Senior - BHPian

Dear Adzegeek- congrats on your purchase, i never knew that Scorpio VLX was available in 4WD version, i always thought only SLX 4WD (BS-III) is available in scorpio, by the way how is the gear shift feel of your m-hawk, does the gear crash when it is put in reverse gear, any peculiar noise heard during starting initially.
Old 15th December 2009, 23:07   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Dear Adzegeek- congrats on your purchase, i never knew that Scorpio VLX was available in 4WD version, i always thought only SLX 4WD (BS-III) is available in scorpio, by the way how is the gear shift feel of your m-hawk, does the gear crash when it is put in reverse gear, any peculiar noise heard during starting initially.
Gear crashes when put in reverse - heck no - I would be really upset if that happened. why do you say that - known problem?

Noise at starting - none really - but this Ute does start like camel. You know when they get up and give themselves a nice shake and twitch their skins all over to dust off - pretty much like that the whole body, engine and occupants get a nice friendly shake when it starts. Funnily dont remember any other SUV doing that.

Problemo? will benchmark against another mHawk and check...
Old 15th December 2009, 23:19   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
Six weeks to go and you keep reminding the salesman to make sure it is coming on time – tell him about SST’s 10 week delivery time and try and dig into Linkedin to see if you can discover some Mahindra employee in your network (3 degrees of freedom not mattering..)
Congratulations for getting your car. Must be a great feeling to finally get it in your hands. I am itching to get mine as well.

About your comment regarding the 4 wheel drive selector in 4H, that is exactly my concern as well. These folks are ignorant about usage of 4wd and my fear is that they will experiment with customer vehicles because there aren't any 4wd test drive vehicles.

Quote:
Right now the stock car - is getting better - so will post Internals etc after a few days.
What are you planning to get done? Are you looking at getting rid of the horrible music system ? if so, what are you planning to do about audio controls on steering?
Old 15th December 2009, 23:54   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
About your comment regarding the 4 wheel drive selector in 4H, that is exactly my concern as well. These folks are ignorant about usage of 4wd and my fear is that they will experiment with customer vehicles because there aren't any 4wd test drive vehicles.
I am not sure whether it is experimentation - but more ignorance combined with carelessness. I noticed that all drivers in AML Motors in Hyd seemed to be outsourced from another company.
Also, When I went to the area where PDI is done when I had gone to get the tilt fixed, I asked whether there is anything special in their checklist to do for 4WDs? He said none - state of readiness evident there

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
What are you planning to get done? Are you looking at getting rid of the horrible music system ? if so, what are you planning to do about audio controls on steering?
Project on ICE started in earnest with cooperation with fellow sufferer - Vraghuz - still working through the details -so I dont have any answers yet.
In the meantime, All I do is keep the bose sounddock with me when I got for long drive - better utility, sound and usable away from car also

Stanley seat covers coming in next 3-4 days time.

Have a friend from workplace who built a custom GPS transmitter - which I am going to fit and then read GPS coord at a minimum (all other analogue/digi inputs based on what voids warranty and what doesnt) and do all useless MIS/Maps on the home held static IP server . May prove useful if it gets stolen!

a few other things need to be done - like sun films, Recover and redeploy Garmin Nuvi 660 on this Ute.

More importantly check some roof rack or Boot racks to carry 2 mountain bicycles on the Ute without use of a trailer - any ideas?
Old 16th December 2009, 07:43   #50
BHPian

Adzegeek,
Congrats on the ute, nice write-up.
the chrome makes it a bling bling ride... too much:P
About the shake when she starts, do u get the same shudder when you switch off?

about the roof cycle rack, check this out - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ack-swift.html
Old 16th December 2009, 08:29   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Er... no 3rd gear vibration that I've experienced either. But then, there isn't any 3rd gear vibes on my BIL's 2.6 CRDe 2WD either.
the CRDe's gear lever does not vibrate. this problem is unique to the mHawk!
Old 16th December 2009, 08:32   #52
BANNED

+1 to what Raj said. The CRDe gear lever doesnt vibrate. Somehow that makes me feel that the CRDe engines were the best that came on the Scorp till date.
Old 16th December 2009, 09:52   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanScorpio View Post
Adzegeek,
Congrats on the ute, nice write-up.
the chrome makes it a bling bling ride... too much:P
About the shake when she starts, do u get the same shudder when you switch off?

about the roof cycle rack, check this out - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ack-swift.html
thanks - but dont talk about the chrome - it is a rather painful subject. But for one BHPian everyone hated it.

The shudder is there when you shut it down - but i checked another mHawk in the morning and it was there in that too - and the owner said this is good utility as it wakes up the occupants !!

Thule bike carriers - pretty much what I had in mind - however will opt for a tow bar mount or roof carrier not the rear door mounting - as it is that door never shuts in one go - putting in additional load on it is sure short recipe for further sagging. Have to google or search this site for what works best in Indian conditions.
Old 16th December 2009, 09:59   #54
BHPian

Incremental Use cases for the Ute

You used to take a princely time of 12 minutes on an average to reach local workplace from home. Ever since the civic authorities decided to do something unknown at the Gachiobowli crossing - your travel time has increased to 18 minutes. Infact when you cycle you reach office in 9 minutes flat (continous praying and furious cardio discounted).

So in your quest to whack the Ute from your wife, you try taking the Ute down the cycling short cut - and voila - after engaging 4H at one tricky point, you manage to cut down the travel time to 6 minutes.

Savings, Boss Savings!! Incremental Optimizations. God Bless the Ute and the tractor tracks on the short cut.

You grin - get to engage 4WD once a day on normal working days.
Old 16th December 2009, 10:33   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So in your quest to whack the Ute from your wife, you try taking the Ute down the cycling short cut - and voila - after engaging 4H at one tricky point, you manage to cut down the travel time to 6 minutes.

Savings, Boss Savings!! Incremental Optimizations. God Bless the Ute and the tractor tracks on the short cut.

You grin - get to engage 4WD once a day on normal working days.
If a tractor can make through a track, I'm sure you can do it on 2H also. Not that I don't want you to enjoy 4WD , just a point.

Btw IIRC there is Jeep Thrills OTR coming up soon where in you'll be able to check 4H and 4L amply
Old 16th December 2009, 10:46   #56
Senior - BHPian

Rajesh, first, congratulations!
The most delightful and candid account I've ever read about homing in on and buying a vehicle. It's a refreshingly different take from what most of us post!

Yes, you must get that awful chrome overlay off the front grille!
Curious you mention that there is a judder/shudder when you start moving. This does not seem normal at all! Do have it looked into. It could be a less than perfectly aligned clutch!

You forgot to mention whether the list correction was done by adjusting the torsion bar, or was it something else? And 35 mm? Hmm...that is a LOT!
Old 16th December 2009, 11:03   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
If a tractor can make through a track, I'm sure you can do it on 2H also. Not that I don't want you to enjoy 4WD , just a point.

Btw IIRC there is Jeep Thrills OTR coming up soon where in you'll be able to check 4H and 4L amply
Milecruncher - Killjoy - Tractor tracks are till half way and unused now.
allow me to enjoy these little moments.

You taking your Storm to Jeep Thrills? any links on tbph for this?
Old 16th December 2009, 11:14   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You taking your Storm to Jeep Thrills? any links on tbph for this?
Sadly the Storm is only available in 2WD guise so can't take part . May be I'll get the Thar when it comes out.

But I keep taking it to 4WD country and have been able to brave the normal obstacles. Oh and I have mastered the art of jumping dividers also.

BTW there was Mahindra Great Escape in Hyderabad in September when I was awy in Ladakh. Hear that there is going to another one sometime late Jan

Last edited by MileCruncher : 16th December 2009 at 11:16. Reason: More Info
Old 16th December 2009, 11:52   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
the CRDe's gear lever does not vibrate. this problem is unique to the mHawk!
Mercifully and thankfully, M&M has spared me and my car the beneficial installation of "vibrator mode 3rd gear" at the factory.
Old 16th December 2009, 12:01   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Rajesh, first, congratulations!
The most delightful and candid account I've ever read about homing in on and buying a vehicle. It's a refreshingly different take from what most of us post!
Thank You Thank You, Gods have graced the thread and I humbly ask for continued enlightment on my journey ahead.

Quote:
Yes, you must get that awful chrome overlay off the front grille!
Score as of now: 1 for (Raj), zillions Against : so will be off in the weekend time permitting

Quote:
Curious you mention that there is a judder/shudder when you start moving. This does not seem normal at all! Do have it looked into. It could be a less than perfectly aligned clutch!
maybe I didnt mention correctly - its not in the move - shudder is only when you start and stop the engine - not when you move. Seemed like a nice shakeup and shutdown routine which is there in other mhawk I tried in the morning.

Quote:
You forgot to mention whether the list correction was done by adjusting the torsion bar, or was it something else? And 35 mm? Hmm...that is a LOT!
The tilt was corrected by Torsion bar adjustments as the top mechanic confirmed. If I get a chance to go underneath I can click the nut which was adjusted. Here is how the Ute looked when it limped to the left. Pretty bad, eh? Blame the BB lense for poor shot - but does the job of showing the tilt.
4wd Ute - mHawk Scorp-img00039.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks