Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2009, 12:20   #61
Senior - BHPian

thats a nice beast, all good, with White and 4 WD, love that hook behind, more reasons for people to stay away.

One of the good writeups, though it took me some time to get to the passive tone.

So soon after delivery you took it off to 4WD test !

What does "Ute" mean ?

Last edited by tanwaramit : 16th December 2009 at 12:22.
Old 16th December 2009, 12:58   #62
BHPian

Tanwaramit,

Thanks -first one to say it looks good in white ()

Ute - comes for Ozland - shorted for Utility Vehicle - technically it is cross between sedan and pickup truck - and unique to australia where Ford released them before I was born. I discovered in recent trip the word is in vogue in NZ also.

Lee Karnaghan has a nice country song - "She's my Ute" - you can check that on youtube. There are "Ute Musters" in Oz - show off parade, races, lot of unmentionables and "Beaut Ute" contests. Some interesting snaps at Melbourne Photojournalist Raoul Wegat : Ute Culture

Technically Scorp is not a "Ute" - but my daughter saw an Ute which looked like scorp/getaway from front - and the name stuck. For more desi folks - Ute has become Oonth (camel).
Old 16th December 2009, 13:11   #63
Senior - BHPian

thanks for sharing the information on Ute. Saw the link.

Did you say white, well Delhi rules with White scorpios , being in the top list of politicians is another thing.

Can you post the pictures of your instrument panel ?
Old 16th December 2009, 13:52   #64
BHPian

dear adz geek youre the third person who is facing difficulties with the rear door that i know off try this the next time
keep the rear door about two to three inches from its closed position and push it with a gentle frimness. it is bound to shut with ease.
Old 16th December 2009, 15:24   #65
Senior - BHPian

Adzegeek, Open one of the four doors in the front and try closing the rear door, should close with ease. my 2 cents.
Old 16th December 2009, 15:36   #66
BHPian

Surya/Rohan
Thanks for the tips - will try.

Does any of you have had problems with the A/C lo/hi push buttons - they seem to be very poorly made. A/C lo in my case seems to have a mind of its own - deciding when it will activate and when will it not irrespective of how hard I push - Need to get that fixed.

I also noticed in the afternoon that TPMS went like 0 -> 0 -> 0-> 32.0 - wierd - will try and see if it replicates.

Surya -- sorry for the wrong PM on transparent floor mats - I got you mixed up with someone else.
Old 16th December 2009, 15:43   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
Project on ICE started in earnest with cooperation with fellow sufferer - Vraghuz - still working through the details -so I dont have any answers yet.
In the meantime, All I do is keep the bose sounddock with me when I got for long drive - better utility, sound and usable away from car also

Stanley seat covers coming in next 3-4 days time.

Have a friend from workplace who built a custom GPS transmitter - which I am going to fit and then read GPS coord at a minimum (all other analogue/digi inputs based on what voids warranty and what doesnt) and do all useless MIS/Maps on the home held static IP server . May prove useful if it gets stolen!
Sounds like a lot of stuff is going to get in. Do share details/pics/prices as and when they happen. It will help those of us who are planning to get our Scorps in the near future.
Old 16th December 2009, 15:44   #68
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i wonder why M&M have done so many weird cosmetic changes to what was essentially a very understated and tough, purposeful looking vehicle when it first came out!

It looks like the design chaps there could do with some serious re-orientation in the "aesthetic sense" department!
Old 16th December 2009, 16:22   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
i wonder why M&M have done so many weird cosmetic changes to what was essentially a very understated and tough, purposeful looking vehicle when it first came out!

It looks like the design chaps there could do with some serious re-orientation in the "aesthetic sense" department!
The Original Scorpio had very plain and good design, years on Mahindra is doing weird experiments on it, Now WHAT NEXT? The existing version needs a visit to dentist ASAP.
Old 16th December 2009, 17:01   #70
BHPian

actually the quality of the switch gear and ac vents of my leaf sprung crde was much better than my uncles coil sprung version their switches and knobs on the center console were very flimsy fortunately mahindra has improved the air con vents but the switch gear is not as upto the mark as in your case atleast.
Old 16th December 2009, 17:13   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The Original Scorpio had very plain and good design, years on Mahindra is doing weird experiments on it, Now WHAT NEXT? The existing version needs a visit to dentist ASAP.
Maybe they have set their eyes on TLC as the reference and slowly trying to match feature by feature (atleast cosmetic and bulk).

If I had the option of 4WD on lower trim (with ABS) - I would take it. No gizzmo in VLX that I cannot live without.
Old 16th December 2009, 19:50   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
Score as of now: 1 for (Raj), zillions Against : so will be off in the weekend time permitting
Rajesh, please don't try to prise it out yourself; it'll very likely damage the surface finish of the grille.
Off Roadie had suggested trying for a full grille exchange with some prospective buyer who fancies the chrome. That sounds like the best way to go about it.

Sorry, I thought the shudder was coming on letting out the clutch.
I'm lucky, the shudder in my 2.6 is rather mild at startup.

I'd be very keen to know more about the GPS transmitter you plan to install! Do keep us updated.
Old 16th December 2009, 20:49   #73
BHPian

Hi

Can u upload a high resolution picture of ur UTE with the chrome grills?

This actually gives a new look for the Scorpio . I also own a Scorpio M Hawk VLX with same color

I recently took my vehicle to Dharmastala and on the way the road was gone due to the recent torrential rains . I was able to cross many of this so call of roads on the National High way ( Read Saklesphura Ghats ) and my BIL who had come from US for a visit to dharmsatala was impressed with the of roading capabilities . This came from some one who has clocked 300K Miles of driving in US ( With typical 1500 Miles ride/ outing )
Old 16th December 2009, 21:03   #74
BHPian

I also observed closely in the photo that u have steel chromes for ur side mirrors .

Let me know where u picked them . This is still not available for the latest M Hawk in Bangalore....
Old 16th December 2009, 21:08   #75
BHPian

Hi Anup,

Sure will keep you update on GPS - the heritage of the box is that the same design is used in thousands+ oil carrying trucks to detect geofence violations, speeding violations, unauthorized stoppages and opening of fuel seals. So it works. Ugly looking piece but since it comes free cannot ask for more.

writing the server transformer to code into a stream with a package like OpenGTS (GPS Tracking: Open-Source GPS Tracking System - OpenGTS) will take couple of weeks - Searching for right telecom provider and package for the SIM card supporting GPRS/GSM will take me more time as it sends out messages at a configurable freq (was thinking to set it to 5 minutes when vehicle is on).

I may have to do some pleading with the dealer to get the deal going - all folks who like Chrome (read politicians) will not bother for a nice deal on an exchange offer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks