Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2010, 23:48   #46
Senior - BHPian

how does this tuning affect the car? during acceleration? fuel consumption?
Old 17th January 2010, 15:32   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
how does this tuning affect the car? during acceleration? fuel consumption?
Can't give figures on FE, but the car pickup suffers. However, I have no idea how the VVT engine would respond.
Old 24th January 2010, 12:36   #48
BHPian

First Service Report

The First service was carried out two days ago. Though technically it became due on January 14, I was trying to postpone it due to heavy fog conditions here (even today I cannot see beyond some 50 mts). Then there was sunshine on wednesday and thursday, and so I booked for the first service on friday. And voila, not only did the fog reappear on friday, it was the worst of the entire period. Murphy's law. If anything can go wrong, it will. And my SX4 went for its first service under heavy fog.

To business now. Over the period of one month, frankly I had no real problem with the vehicle. The initial instability as I posted earlier was on account of a huge difference in the air pressures of the four wheels, that when equalized, made the car very smooth. Also, over the month, the car had stalled some 4 times at low speed/rpm. I had initially maintained an rpm maxima of 2k upto 400 kms, then went up to 2.5k. The gear shifts were as follows:

0 kmph, 1st
20 kmph, 2k rpm, upshift to 2nd
40 kmph, 2.5k rpm, upshift to 3rd
60 kmph, 2.5k rpm, upshift to 4th
80 kmph, 2.5k rpm, upshift to 5th
maintain car around 2-2.5k rpm at 95-100 kmph. The drive under these conditions was very satisfactory.

When it went for service, I had only the complaint for engine stalling. Also, the central locking. As I understand, the car is supposed to autolock after 30 secs if not locked by driver after getting out. My car never autolocked. Maybe it requires some setting up that I am unable to comprehend. In any case, I asked them to look into it.

During the first service, in addition to checking the various things that had to be checked according to the manual, they also changed the engine oil and the oil filter. However, in addition, they added something called "Fuel Additive" into the fuel tank, and "Oil Supplement" with the engine oil. For the fuel additive they said saved tank from corrosion, and the explanation for the oil supplement was also the same. I did not understand and they were not able explain further. Anyone who knows what these two substances are, and what do they do, kindly enlighten me.

The cost was as follows:

Fuel filter assembly: 201.76
Fuel additive: 308.37
4.3 lts engine oil: 1231.26
Oil supplement: 330.40
Labour: 0.00
Total: 2071.79

However, having entered into a maintenance contract for 2 years with the dealer that cost only Rs 4,500, I did not have to pay anything. All the above were covered under the contract. In a way then, I have already got almost 40% of my money back.

OK, post first service, the car has definitely improved in pickup, smoothness, even the general engine sound. But it did stall again once. And to the central locking thing, they said the feature of the 30 sec autolock after the driver has climbed out does not apply in the SX4. I told them that the manual too says that the car must autolock after 30 secs, so they said they would confirm from Nippon, whose system Maruti uses, and get back.

The car was cleaned up very well from the outside, and under the bonnet. But the cleaning inside was not very proper.

The earlier FE figures were guesses in the sense that I would have the tank filled up when the fuel guage was at a certain position, and refill again when it came back to the same, and check the mileage. But now, after the first service, I will get the tank filled up and then post the actual FE.

ODO 635 km
Old 24th January 2010, 16:26   #49
Senior - BHPian

congrats on your ride. Its looks lovely.I feel black or white are the only 2 colors that look look on a car by and large. Some interior pics please.
Old 3rd February 2010, 19:45   #50
BHPian

Post-first service FE

Got the fuel tank topped up (fought a bit of a pain at shelling out a couple of thousand rupees), and drove..........took the SX4 on a highway for about 90 kms. Despite the initial 1000 km restriction, I took this fellow up to 125 (around 3k rpm in 5th gear). And boy, what a ride. Very smooth, very comfortable, though for the first time I was exposed to the JK Vectra noise, but its not something that would bother me. The stability was good, steering response was no problem. But the real fun was that I never realized when I had reached 125. There was a Getz behind maintaining a steady distance, till suddenly I became aware that it was way behind now. That was when I checked the dial and found the hand at 125 kmph. I immediately brought it down to 100 and then took care not to exceed. My wife also drove (for the first time that day) and was quite happy with the experience.

Got the fuel tank topped up today again and calculated the FE to be 11.3. Round it off to 11. This is with 90 kms highway between 100 and 125 kmph, and 122 kms city run (short hauls), with 100% ACC in operation.

So, FE post-first service is 11. Don't know whether its good or not so good.
Old 3rd February 2010, 20:43   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivprasad View Post
. Despite the initial 1000 km restriction, I took this fellow up to 125 (around 3k rpm in 5th gear). And boy, what a ride. Very smooth, very comfortable, though for the first time I was exposed to the JK Vectra noise, but its not something that would bother me. The stability was good, steering response was no problem. But the real fun was that I never realized when I had reached 125.
Got the fuel tank topped up today again and calculated the FE to be 11.3. Round it off to 11. This is with 90 kms highway between 100 and 125 kmph, and 122 kms city run (short hauls), with 100% ACC in operation.

So, FE post-first service is 11. Don't know whether its good or not so good.
Hi the FE is decent. I guess had you maintained a steady 80-90Kmph you would have realised more FE. Nevertheless, it is good and I get 10.5 within city and a mix of highway & city I have got 12Kmpl and 15KMPL on pure highway runs.

Also at 3K RPM touching 125Kmph is impressive. In my sx4 (old version) at 3K RPM it is just over 100 KMPH. So I guess the VVT is definitely a better engine
Old 3rd February 2010, 21:16   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post

Also at 3K RPM touching 125Kmph is impressive. In my sx4 (old version) at 3K RPM it is just over 100 KMPH. So I guess the VVT is definitely a better engine
i highly doubt suzuki would have changed the gear ratios for the new sx4. it probably isnt 3k rpm and must have been a shade under 4k rpm.
Old 3rd February 2010, 22:53   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
i highly doubt suzuki would have changed the gear ratios for the new sx4. it probably isnt 3k rpm and must have been a shade under 4k rpm.

I read somewhere that the gear ratio's of the new SX4 are slightly taller in comparison to the older one. I think it was AutoCar.
Old 4th February 2010, 07:57   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
I read somewhere that the gear ratio's of the new SX4 are slightly taller in comparison to the older one. I think it was AutoCar.
Could any of the new SX4 VVT owners (Fornax, DD, others) comment on this please, else I shall have to go back on the highway to reconfirm...
Old 4th February 2010, 14:44   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Yes believe I read this somewhere as well. Also the transmission is usually mated to a given engine, so given the different power deliveries of the old and new SX4 engines I would suspect that the transmission would be different. Which would also be an opportunity for the engineers to play with the gear ratios and get a better ARAI FE rating.

Of course all this is speculation until we get some concrete gear ratio numbers for the old and new SX4!

I have myself hit 100 kmph at a little below 3,000 rpm in 5th.
Old 5th February 2010, 11:45   #56
BHPian

I notice on all SX4 a very visible exhaust system below the suspension at the back of the car (whenever I am following an SX4)

Is that the lowest point in the car and is the SX4 ground clearance calculated from that?

Just wondering because it looks so exposed..I know that SX4 has great clearance and I guess since it is in line with rear tyres, it will go up and down with the tyres, so it actually should not touch anything

But wanted to check with SX4 owners on their experience and any more data on this.
Old 8th February 2010, 00:51   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Could any of the new SX4 VVT owners (Fornax, DD, others) comment on this please, else I shall have to go back on the highway to reconfirm...
I'd go with vivprasad's observation, as that's what I think I experienced - but cannot be 100% certain. (New car @ 125, what'd you expect).

Akshay - by any chance were you in a VXi ?
Old 8th February 2010, 02:06   #58
BHPian

Quote:
kindly enlighten me.

The cost was as follows:

Fuel filter assembly: 201.76
Fuel additive: 308.37
4.3 lts engine oil: 1231.26
Oil supplement: 330.40
Labour: 0.00
Total: 2071.79
Why dont they add following items also-

Lord Krishna Turbo Oil - improves performance, reduces friction, wear and tear
Sai Ram Coating X - prevents rust
Ayurveda O2 - prevents premature stalling

No wonder the labor charges were Zero
Old 8th February 2010, 19:19   #59
BHPian

Quote:
I was on a long trip few days back before my 1st service. I was doing 120 when the rpm was slightly lesser than 3000 in 5th gear.
Old 11th February 2010, 08:08   #60
BHPian

My initial observation of 125 kmph at 3k rpm thus seems correct.

A few days ago, I completed 1000 km. The 1000 km report seems pretty well the same as that sfter the first service, that was done at 600 kms. There is nothing new to report, except that last weekend there was a wedding in the family, and everyone who rode in the SX4 with me found the car to be very comfortable. Naturally, it made me happy.

As for myself, I am liking driving it more and more as the days go by.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks