Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2010, 00:02   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Joe,Nandan,Star - we should really have an ANHC Bangalore meeting
Hi Skywalker

I just returned from the year end vacation trip from 24th till today, hence could not respond earlier.

i would be bit occupied in Jan & Feb due to business related commitments and travel associated with it. if you guys set up the meet, and let me know, if i am in town, then i will certainly try and join.

thanks,
Old 6th January 2010, 09:17   #62
BHPian

Star, couple of questions for you.
I am looking for a DVD player to be fitted in my car so that my daughter can comfortably sit in the rear seat and watch the TV (other wise , she insists on sitting on the front seat with my wifey) and hence keeping her engaged is one way of making her sit on the rear seat. I went through your thread where in you have added a bmorn 888 player. Initially it seems you had it on the dash and then I read that you were planning to move it to the rear windshield ? If so, how did you handle the wiring and charger when it was moved to rear ?

Another query, is regarding nitrogen filling. Are you riding on nitro filled tyres ? I was thinking of switching to nitro, but then , in case I can't find a nitro filling center for refill, is it ok to fill with normal air in a partially nitro filled tyre ? Hope the two co exists ? ( as they do in atmosphere ?)
Old 6th January 2010, 10:29   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Star, couple of questions for you.
I am looking for a DVD player to be fitted in my car so that my daughter can comfortably sit in the rear seat and watch the TV (other wise , she insists on sitting on the front seat with my wifey) and hence keeping her engaged is one way of making her sit on the rear seat. I went through your thread where in you have added a bmorn 888 player. Initially it seems you had it on the dash and then I read that you were planning to move it to the rear windshield ? If so, how did you handle the wiring and charger when it was moved to rear ?
If you are looking for a DVD player, then i suggest you go for Philips portable player with built in LCD screen. In my view, it is the best available. Your daughter can keep it on her lap (rear center seat) and it can be powered using the car power socket. She can listen to the sound using the head phones so that it does not disturb you while driving or the conversation you are having with your wife/others in the car.

When i bought the bmorn player, the idea was to get rid of the DVD and keep the content inside the player. The Player was running on battery and the view time was 4.5 hours, good enough for a decent drive / movie.
No kid would like to sit at a place for 4.5 hours just watching a movie.

it had a mains charger, i bought a car inverter which would help to charge it as well. Unfortunately i dropped the player and it's screen got damaged. During my next trip the Shenzhen, i will get it repaired.

You can still do better, go for a Tablet PC. it might cost you some 500$, but you can do lot more than what this player would do.

My suggesion is to keep the player (DVD or andy Digital Video Player or Tablet) portable so that you can remove it while sending the car for service, or while on a business travel etc.

Quote:
Another query, is regarding nitrogen filling. Are you riding on nitro filled tyres ? I was thinking of switching to nitro, but then , in case I can't find a nitro filling center for refill, is it ok to fill with normal air in a partially nitro filled tyre ? Hope the two co exists ? ( as they do in atmosphere ?)
In my view all these is just gimmics or air, no solid logic behind.

I would stay with the manufacturer's recommendation and keep filling air.
the last time i checked my airpressure was in October. since then there is no change in my ride quality. that is good enough for me.

you can read VahanPujari's Linea thread where he has feedback about Nitrogen. his findings re-inforce my belief.
Old 6th January 2010, 12:18   #64
BHPian

Thanks Star, Even my thoughts were to have a single device that can store and play content. But then I will have to update the content regularly which is not the case with a portable player. I could find some good players in bestbuy.com (Sony make). Might settle for them.
Old 10th January 2010, 21:29   #65
BHPian

I had a query regarding the way ANHC suspension damps the shocks and undulations when passing over a pothole or an uneven road. IS it that the suspension passes on what ever it encounters right into the driver/passenger ? I have a feeling I get all the undulations / uneven surfaces on the road when ever my car passes over it and hence wanted to check with other ANHC owners.
Old 11th January 2010, 11:34   #66
BHPian

Quote:
I had a query regarding the way ANHC suspension damps the shocks and undulations when passing over a pothole or an uneven road. IS it that the suspension passes on what ever it encounters right into the driver/passenger ? I have a feeling I get all the undulations / uneven surfaces on the road when ever my car passes over it and hence wanted to check with other ANHC owners.
+1
I feel the same in my car. What I observed is that if we are on slow speeds(20-50 kph), the shocks and undulations seem to be passed on as they are. Whereas, when I am on high speeds(say over 50 kph), the shocks and undulations are well masked before reaching the occupants of the vehicle. This may be something to do with stiffer suspensions in City where-in high speed cruising is made very comfortable.
Old 11th January 2010, 13:09   #67
BHPian

I have the similar issue and I checked with the dealer. I had the opportunity to test other ANHC, they all seem to exhibit the same behavior. I think I quite agree with Kalyan for the fact that the noise may be due to stiffer suspension compared to a softer suspension in NHC where I haven't noticed the noise. I feel this is one area Honda still needs to address.
What tyres are you running on joecherian?
Old 11th January 2010, 15:08   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanth_yk View Post
What tyres are you running on joecherian?
I am running on stock Michelins. I think the issue might be due to a soft suspension which doesn't filter anything that comes in its way. May be a price that we have to pay for owning a Honda ?
Old 18th January 2010, 10:31   #69
BHPian

Has any ANHC owners switched to K&N filters for their cars ? I would like to know the approximate costs if you do it outside. Honda dealer is quoting 5k for the same. If I do it outside, is there any usual complaint coming like " sir your warranty is gone" stuff ?
Old 2nd April 2010, 07:45   #70
BHPian

fuel level & mileage indicator

Yesterday, around 1 30 AM, on my return to Blr from cochin, while I was nearing bommasandra, low fuel warning came on . DTE was showing around 56 kms. I carried on and reached home with DTE (distance to Empty) showing 17 kms. Today morning, went to refill fuel and at 30 liters, auto cut off came on..
That shows that there were around 10-11 liters of fuel when the low fuel warning came on. My doubt is, why doesn't the DTE show this availability of fuel ?

Another observation is regarding the average fuel consumption. If the trip meter is showing some 550 kms ( for ex) and you are on a highway cruising at 80-90 kmph, the mileage indicator doesn't show much variation from the previous reading. But, before starting this cruising mode, if you reset the trip meter, you can notice the mileage indicator going up steadily and in my case, at one point, it reached 24 kmpl and stayed on the same for around 100 kms. ( this was on NH7, at speeds of 80-90)

Hence, the average fuel consumption meter in the ANHC doesn't exactly show the average ( as in the case described above) the meter shows 2 values for same drive. Hence, if you like to have a mental satisfaction of your high mileage on your car on highway drives, don't forget to reset the trip meter as this causes the mileage calculator to forget those fuel drinking city drives and take in only the fuel efficient high way drives.
Old 2nd April 2010, 11:05   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday, around 1 30 AM, on my return to Blr from cochin, while I was nearing bommasandra, low fuel warning came on . DTE was showing around 56 kms. I carried on and reached home with DTE (distance to Empty) showing 17 kms. Today morning, went to refill fuel and at 30 liters, auto cut off came on..
That shows that there were around 10-11 liters of fuel when the low fuel warning came on. My doubt is, why doesn't the DTE show this availability of fuel ?
I believe this is working as desiged and working as desired. Even I have noticed this. When I did some math, looks like DTE is calculated as follows
DTE=(Full tank - Low FUEL indicator level)*(present KMPL).
I think manufacturers keep two factors here, one the car running with no fuel as well as miss fire due to low fuel.

Quote:
Another observation is regarding the average fuel consumption. If the trip meter is showing some 550 kms ( for ex) and you are on a highway cruising at 80-90 kmph, the mileage indicator doesn't show much variation from the previous reading. But, before starting this cruising mode, if you reset the trip meter, you can notice the mileage indicator going up steadily and in my case, at one point, it reached 24 kmpl and stayed on the same for around 100 kms. ( this was on NH7, at speeds of 80-90)

Hence, the average fuel consumption meter in the ANHC doesn't exactly show the average ( as in the case described above) the meter shows 2 values for same drive. Hence, if you like to have a mental satisfaction of your high mileage on your car on highway drives, don't forget to reset the trip meter as this causes the mileage calculator to forget those fuel drinking city drives and take in only the fuel efficient high way drives.
Isn't this normal? The fuel efficiency is calculated based on the trip meter reading. Lower the trip meter reading higher is the KMPL variation. The real time mileage calculation has to be against the distance travelled (obviously obtained from trip meter input) and the fuel consumed to travel such distance. When ever I brim fill the car, I ensure to reset the trip meter and hence it's easier for me to understand the mileage.
Old 2nd April 2010, 11:08   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Has any ANHC owners switched to K&N filters for their cars ? I would like to know the approximate costs if you do it outside. Honda dealer is quoting 5k for the same. If I do it outside, is there any usual complaint coming like " sir your warranty is gone" stuff ?
What is the K&N filter? can you give some gyan on this?
Old 2nd April 2010, 11:22   #73
Senior - BHPian

My observations are as below

1. there seems to be a reserve of few ltrs (3-4 ltrs) even after the fuel gauge shows E, when the reserve light gets turned on, the tank seems to have about 8-10 ltrs.

2. The max i have filled till now is about 38ltrs that was the very first time when i fueled after taking possession of the car. subsequenty my tankful billing is for 32-34 ltrs max.

3. Once i have tried going till the E on the fuel gauge, the DTE indicator showed 7 KM remaining, then i filled in the petrol.

4. I have also observed that when the trip meter is reset, for the initial KMs, FE indicator value is high, then it drops based on our driving habits.
The peak i have got till now is 19.xx, during the last week Mumbai trip FE indicator showed 18.4, this was over 2 tankful of fuel. i did not reset in Belgaum. The actual FE i got during this 987 KM drive is 17 KMPL, error of 1.4 from the FE.

5. The DTE meter showed some where between 550 to 690 KMs in my car till now, i have found that once the DTE reaches the value of 80-100, the count down is very rapid e.g. count down of 2-3 per actual KM. This could be due to some error correction being applied to the calculation of DTE.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 2nd April 2010 at 11:24.
Old 5th April 2010, 15:40   #74

i agree with this sudden drop of DTE once its around 80. Is it a design feature?
Old 5th April 2010, 17:59   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvikas View Post
i agree with this sudden drop of DTE once its around 80. Is it a design feature?
I drove for 30 kms with out any problem, after DTE showed 0 kms left. So this DTE fuel indicator is not perfect.

Most Viewed