Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2009, 20:36   #1
BHPian

Safari DICOR 2.2 VTT 3000 Kms Issues

Hey Everyone,

Here I am writing about the issues after the initial 3000Kms driving the beast around.

Would appreciate any insight offered on any of the problems!

To start with the beast is an absolute please to own and drive. But with the upside there are a few downs that I wanted to discuss here.

1. The 30 second wait after every start and before switching off the ignition everytime. The manual strongly recommends doing so but it can be a pain. Can someone elaborate any work arounds? (I know this is to lubricate the turbo but does it really have to be done everytime and after every start/before every stop?)

2. The pull to the left on hard braking. I feel I should should sue TAS for this. I know this can be resolved but really when it is there in every Safari, why should every owner who wants this problem resolved have to look at getting this done? Moreover the TAS people told me that there is no solution to it (pitty).

3. Squeeks and rattles from the front doors and seats. I strongly feel this should not happen atleast for a year after the vehicle has been bought. Mine started in week 1!! Is there any solution to the rubber squeeks from the doors? Please help!

On the brighter side the beast is x-tremely powerful and you can feel it on highways!!

The first and second gear have a low range probably for max. power and the 5th has a very high limit of above 70KMPH!!

The 3rd and 4th are like adrenaline!! You can feel the rush in your head!

So, if anyone has sugesstions for point 1 & 3 and has got those fixed to perfection, any suggestions are appreciated!!

Last edited by alexnazim : 17th December 2009 at 20:47.
Old 17th December 2009, 21:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

These are not issues et all.

1) Drive in 1st gear dont throttle during the first 30 sec, its equivalent to idling (for turbo), while coming back home calculate the distance equivalent to 30 sec before and drive leisurely till home at lower gears.

For the rest, if anyone tells you cannot be resolved, ask them to involve the TATA Customer care and open a ticket with them, then everything will start resolving by otself
Old 18th December 2009, 08:57   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexnazim View Post
1. The 30 second wait after every start and before switching off the ignition everytime. The manual strongly recommends doing so but it can be a pain. Can someone elaborate any work arounds? (I know this is to lubricate the turbo but does it really have to be done everytime and after every start/before every stop?)
This duration is imperative during your first start and last turn off but you could reduce it to say, 20 secs during the day when the engine/turbo has run and is operating under its normal temparature.
In fact, this is the reason why Mahindra was able to introduce the Scorpio Hybrid which turns off in 13 secs in traffic and starts moving immediately after the clutch is operated again.

Quote:
2. The pull to the left on hard braking. I feel I should should sue TAS for this. I know this can be resolved but really when it is there in every Safari, why should every owner who wants this problem resolved have to look at getting this done? Moreover the TAS people told me that there is no solution to it (pitty).
I have had this issue solved with atleast 4 vehicles at Concorde, Bangalore and it is not an issue with all Safaris. A proper TASS should be able to solve it.
Quote:
3. Squeeks and rattles from the front doors and seats. I strongly feel this should not happen atleast for a year after the vehicle has been bought. Mine started in week 1!! Is there any solution to the rubber squeeks from the doors? Please help!
He he, these are the trade mark of TATA Quality dude but yes, there are a few things to do which may help.
1. Check for all rubbers on all doors and get the missing ones replaced.
2. In case any rubber looks too hard/small etc to do its job, you can do some DIY steps like adding double sided tape, raw retreading rubber etc to it check if it solves the issue.
3. Carry a can of WD-40 with you and spray it on the squeaking hinges, mounts etc to eliminate the noise.

Things should improve after this. Enjoy your ride.
Old 18th December 2009, 09:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

1) You can get the turbo timer or so . It will switch off the engine after certain period of time after you have locked the vehicle. Some remote for cars allow start/stop via remote control. Useful to warm up your car.

2) Was reported here as an issue with front brakes which can be resolved by TASS. Know issue with solution. Do search.

3) WD40
Old 23rd December 2009, 11:00   #5
BHPian

I have driven my safari for about 4400 KMs so far and have never faced any problems with braking. Maybe its the ABS at work, stopping the car in a straight line.

Most Viewed