Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2009, 23:24   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fash_1 View Post
Woah! thats as black as black can ever get! Gorgeous beauty! The interior colour goes very well with this colour. Congrats!
I love the black. And its not the normal black. It has the "pearl" effect.
Just the previous day of purchase my wife and I were telling how the other cars have the normal plain black color which looks like its been painted after a car wreck and doesn't have that shine or glow to it. We were really glad to see that the Altis came with a really good high quality black paint that gives it an elegant finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
congratulations on your black corolla! little sister of the camry. i don't know if its visual trickery or something else! but whenever i take a look at corolla on the roads here it seems bigger than say a civic, or the skoda laura!! (dimensions)! not too much but just a little bit on the plus side. and i love the HID lamps and the round LED tailights! i don't think skoda laura and civic have used LEDs for tailights! so such unique stuff makes it kinda hot!
Thanks Caramelo. I know what you mean by the visual trickery. I personally feel that the front view of the Altis looks superbly wide and big when compared to civic or skoda. The side view looks almost close to the looks of Skoda from some angles, but yes, i do feel its a bit longer sometimes. The actual numbers and figures may be simlar/different, but we always have to find several ways to admire our possessions!
Funny thing is I noticed that altis had LED lights a day after I purchased it and that too by seeing another one drive in front of me, made me go... hmmm wonder if I have one! HA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
There was a thread on the ICE setup inside corolla, wherein a fellow team-bhpian had put in a 2 din dash dvd player with a LCD touchscreen.
Also, there is no USB port for the Altis, only an aux-in.
Yes I saw one thread that had a Pearl-white altis with the 2 Din setup for Rs17 or 18k. I am looking into that option too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
somehow missed this thread till today, black altis is a stunner indeed, hope you manage to keep it clean till the evening , I struggle in the evening when all dust makes the color change to brown.
Armor All is a wise choice for tyre polish. Nice and clean pictures.
I hear ya! Keeping it clean is a big darn job! The brown dust transistion on the color doesn't have much of an effect on any lighter colored cars, but it does bring down the black quite a bit. I did a quick wash and it was rather easy this time because the surface is really smooth and everything just rolled off. Hope it stays that way.
Old 29th December 2009, 00:54   #47
BHPian

800 KM report

Back from my long trip and covered 800 KMs already! In short there were both bitter and sweet moments.

First the good news -

Drive - The ride is super smooth and comfy. Drove the car for around 6 hours (with minor breaks in between) but did not feel a bit tired. Guess the lumbar support did its trick! The seats are awesome too.

Handling - Love the Electric Power steering. The ease in controlling this car in all kinds of traffic is just awesome. I have read in other posts where people have had issues with the power steering being too sensitive at higher speeds on highways but I haven’t had any such issues so far.

GC - Did not have any issues with the ground clearance at all. We drove through all sorts of terrain and everything was perfect!

Right leg room - I can almost lay my entire leg in right angles and ride the car and still not bump into the sides of the door! There is that much room for my right leg. Good utilization of space.

Negative Points (can probably live with) -

Fuel Efficiency - I received the car with an average mileage of 7.X KMPL shown on the MID and around 30KMs driven. I figured that the long distance trip can do good and raise the average quite a bit. After all my sincere determined efforts, I got it raised to around 9.8 KMPL. I know its too early to conclude that this would be the average mileage and I am open to experimenting more to see if I can raise it up a bit more.
(FYI- Tank was filled up to maximum too)

Vehicle Noise from the outside- I found this strange, but I could hear all the vehicles passing by quite clearly (or more than I did in my Aveo) from the inside. I had to check twice or thrice to see if all the windows were closed shut and they were. This became quite annoying when all I heard was the vroooms of other vehicles, but I guess immunity kicked in after a while.

Clutch Foot rest room - Either I have a really big feet/shoes or there isn't much room for my left feet to rest if its not on the clutch. I have to really twist it to fit in that small gap. Its another thing that I miss from my aveo, where there was enough space to the left of the clutch and even behind/under it so that I could stretch out my leg fairly straight.

Seat belt warning beeps - It does not die off! It just goes on and on until you are forced to put the belts on just so that you do not have to hear the ticking beeps! Oh well, Its a good thing, but I would rather have preferred for the beeps to die off after a few seconds or minutes.

Rear Parking Sensor - The voice over is really getting on everyone's nerves! Its like having a lady bus conductor saying there is room to pull over or ding ding ding ding ding stop stop stop stop. It has worked at some instances, but at some cases I just found it annoying and prefer the old fashioned quiet gestimation way.

Rear view Mirror - I feel its really small and does not cover the entire length of my rear scene view. The view from the rear window is also very narrow which is another thing I have to get used to. Having a small mirror is not of any help and I find it uncomfortable.

Now for the really bad news -

Well I got my first ugly scratch! Somehow I missed this billboard stand that was on my rear left, and my bumper ran into it. It left a 5 inch scratch with a little more scraped paint on the panel above the left bumper. Even the annoying rear parking sensor could not help me with that one!

Worst for last -

11pm: Around 40-50KMs away from my destination and in god-knows-who's land, with my wife and 6 month old baby on board, the worst kind of scare that no new car owner should face happens! A yellow warning light goes on with a Beep sound! It looked like a Yellow old fashioned tap icon so I thought it might just be some water shortage. But my gut said other wise and minutes later, the multi information system said "Check Engine System"!!! And then I noticed... it wasn't a yellow tap icon, it looked like an engine transmission with the fan and all that! (Oh comon, how was I supposed to know that at first sight… I have been driving error free cars for the last 3-5 years)

Stopped the car, pulled out the manual to look it up, and it says it was some kind of Electronic Engine malfunction and if you see this error, stop the car immediately or else if you continue accident may occur! Yeh Right! Stop the car or turn it to the nearest dealer was the best advice that the manual had for me at 11pm in the night with family on board. I would rather have preferred to see some do-it-yourself remedies!

Having no other way, I did a few checks on my own. Engine was not heating up and the water levels were fine. No other vibrations or anything else noticed while driving, so I had to put my brave face on and continued driving slowly keeping my speed below 60kmph, and 2k rpm.

Finally after an hour long journey of slow mental torture, we reached home safely, and I did a quick search online on the error. The only 2 false-positive cases were if the Petrol tank cap was not inserted or locked properly, or if the battery terminals were loose. Reconnecting the negative terminal could reset the memory and erase this error if it was a hiccup, but it isn't recommended.

So I called up the dealers at 9am and told them about this. They said they would need it brought in immediately because its not recommended to drive not knowing what set the light off. And the irony, they asked me to drive it and bring it in! Sure... don’t bother sending someone or a toe truck but let me drive "my 4 day old new damaged car" back to your service station 20KMs away and find my way back!!

Reached the service station, and handed over the vehicle. They said they would do a complete checkup and tests. Since it was around 800+ KMs, they said they would do the first Service too.

Their estimate on the paint job for the scratch on the bumper, and the panel above it is Rs7800 and Rs4000 respectively! This involves painting the bumper completely, and the metal panel above it. Sounds a bit pricey and even more - takes 4 days to get it done! I told them I cannot stay without a car for 4 days and that too with New Years eve around the corner! So I decided to just do the service for now and leave the paint job for a week or 2 later. Sounds good... vehicle will be ready by evening.

Called them up in the evening, and they still haven’t completed the checkup, and will take another day. Tomorrow is a holiday due to some harthal and they will be able to resume only the day after! I would really make someone’s life miserable if they keep me without a car on New years eve!

It’s really sad that this has to happen on one of Toyotas best cars and just a few days after purchase! :(

Last edited by jocreative : 29th December 2009 at 00:56.
Old 29th December 2009, 01:15   #48
BHPian

Well Nice to read reviews from other Altis owners .

Well i have covered around 4000 kms on my Altis and it gives me efficiency around 11-12 easily in the city . It touched 14 too on a 100-150 km drive .

Well even i hate those seat belt beeps . They are very irritating .
Old 29th December 2009, 10:19   #49
Team-BHP Support

I don't know about the driver's seat belt as I never drove even a second without it.

The passenger seat belt buzzer will get louder and more irritating as you continue driving and then after 5 minutes it goes off for some reason.

But for those 5 minutes it sure does the trick. My driver does not think twice before putting on the belt lest the buzzer irritate him to death. Same with any passenger who sits in the front.
Old 29th December 2009, 10:43   #50
Team-BHP Support

Joe, any updates on what exactly triggered the Check Engine light? Did you speak to the service advisor later, or only when you dropped it at the dealer?
Old 29th December 2009, 19:35   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Joe, any updates on what exactly triggered the Check Engine light? Did you speak to the service advisor later, or only when you dropped it at the dealer?
No updates yet. Car is still in the ICU!! I did talk to the service advisor yesterday evening and he said that they are still not sure what caused it and is running a full check up and would like to check the electricals too thouroughly so they need another day. They aren't working today because of the Harthal so the next update would be by noon tomorrow.
Old 29th December 2009, 20:30   #52
BHPian

All the best with the checkup. Hope it is some minor issue, which can be fixed easily.

As for the seat belt warning buzzers, it is one of the best things that has happened to Indian Automotive Industry, me thinks. Makes you wear the belt and reach your destination safely.
Old 29th December 2009, 20:34   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
All the best with the checkup. Hope it is some minor issue, which can be fixed easily.

As for the seat belt warning buzzers, it is one of the best things that has happened to Indian Automotive Industry, me thinks. Makes you wear the belt and reach your destination safely.

Thanks Basil. I hope its something minor too.

Seat belt warnings are good, I agree. Just that its annoying if it keeps going on and on!
Old 29th December 2009, 20:49   #54
BHPian

I see that you are from TVM, where abouts. The company I work for, back in India is in TVM. Have you met up with any of the tbhp guys in TVM?

Last edited by basilmabraham : 29th December 2009 at 21:09.
Old 29th December 2009, 20:59   #55
BHPian

A big congratulations. I must say it's a great color to watch it move on the road. I am sure you would have planned well in advance to protect the color in Indian conditions.
I was going through your accessories list,
Quote:
Front Anti-Glare Film - Rs 3000
Side and Rear 50% Black Film = Rs 2950
I was curious to know which make is the front Anti-Glare film. I have a new Honda City and when I enquired in 3m (Crystalline series), they told me that it would cost me 7.5k and Llumar costs about 5.8k. Any idea which one is better. I'd love to get the cheap and the best one.
Old 29th December 2009, 21:02   #56
BHPian

Yep. In TVM for the last 3yrs now. Haven't had the chance to meet anyone yet. Was close to meeting ImmortalZ but got busy with work.
What sort of company do you have here? I have one too. PM me since its off topic.
Old 13th January 2010, 00:17   #57
BHPian

Turns out the Engine Check light was due to some loose connection in the electrical wiring. Got the car a few days later.

Now its back in for a Scratch repair!! tsk tsk!
Old 13th January 2010, 12:02   #58
BHPian

Congratulations Joecreative for ur black beauty,
During car purchase, Corolla was one car I had test driven 4-5 times and I must say neither toyota owners( previous gen included)to online reviews, there is unanimous decision,Toyotas are for life, You will never regret and it will never let you down.
Just fill it and forget it and Enjoy the car.
Old 13th January 2010, 15:27   #59
BHPian

jocreative, good to know that the Engine Check warning was not a real problem. Enjoy your drive.
Old 14th January 2010, 02:54   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanth_yk View Post
I was curious to know which make is the front Anti-Glare film. I have a new Honda City and when I enquired in 3m (Crystalline series), they told me that it would cost me 7.5k and Llumar costs about 5.8k. Any idea which one is better. I'd love to get the cheap and the best one.
You should able to get 3M antiglare film for the Windscreen around 3k easily.
3M has a wide range of Antiglare Films Starting from 1700Rs onwards and goes upto 16k.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks