Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2010, 03:15   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prskumar View Post
Congrats on your new SX4. I visit Oasis mall frequestly in my SX4 and I don't face any issues. May be you need to get used to the power delivery of the car and be in the correct RPM. I've visited Chikmagalur and climbed steep hills with full load withput any issues.
To me also its seems to be a case of getting used to the car, drive on for some more time and if the issue persists get in touch with MASS.
Old 3rd January 2010, 18:15   #47
Senior - BHPian

"Men" are back, it seems. I'm happy to see more than one SX4 customer in this thread. From one man to another, enjoy the drive!.
Old 4th January 2010, 11:10   #48
BHPian

500 Kms Update

Thanks for the wishes @prskumar, @ghpk, @nickatnite.

It's 500 Km now with my SX4. Thought of sharing my experience so far. Well otherwise, the pulling problem which I mentioned earlier, I am absolutely enjoying the drive.

First, a surprise behaviour of the MAN - It's important for me to post the experience related to the pulling problem. I intentionally took the car to OASIS mall with same people on board and this time it just pulled it right without any problem. So I am confused now where the problem lies. according to MASS, after some TD of my car, its perfectly alright. Huh...May be during our next meet, I would look forward to any fellow SX4 owner's feedback.

FE: 10 KMPL exactly with Bharat Normal Petrol. 80 % city drive, 20 % highway (airport pick up and drop) driving. ACC always on. Can I expect any increase after first service ?

Drive Experience: Gear box certainly Notchy. Reverse gear has engaging problem some times. Steering at low speed is tight (may be a bit more due to the 215 size tyre). Head Light is poor. I have changed to OSRAM Night breaker, but I need to experience it tonight. The mirror of Red Soul sensor system is vibrating quite a lot even on normal plain roads. Any solution to this ? No rattles so far. Suspension is stiff and many times passes the shock to passengers, both front and rear. Will it become softer with time ?

Sound Quality: Changed the stock Nippon speakers to JBL GT-265 200W. Now the sound quality is much much better with FM too.

Otherwise I am enjoying the car. Will post more updates soon.
Old 4th January 2010, 15:47   #49
BHPian

Forgot to mention that I got the RC book in flat 6 working days. Kudos to Karnataka RTO. Unbelievable. Contrary to that the HDFC insurance policy is yet to come. Although I got a soft copy of the same from the local insurance branch manager.

One more observation on the CAR - The rear left wheel is slightly wobbling. Got this observation while I was checking the rotation of the wheels to find if there is any jam in the disc brakes. Tyre people said its because of Rim. MASS said its because of tyre. Asked MASS to check with a different set of tyre and rim. The problem was still there. They could not sort out the issue that day. Promised that they will check everything during the first service. Although the wheel alignment report shows everything is within limit. But I can still see the visible wobbling, which MASS also acknowledged. Any answer ?

Few accessory additions are yet to happen :
  1. Sun Film - I am a bit cautious about putting 40 % VLT films all around except front windshield. The shade is brownish and suits the beige color. Will there be any probelm for the 40 % VLT in Bangalore from COP perspective ? Otherwise how about 50 %, including rear ?
  2. Where can I get a TL puncture kit and how much it should cost me ?
  3. Planning to buy a vacuum cleaner too.
  4. Is it a good idea to consider K&N filter at this moment ? Will it increase the performance / FE ?
Old 4th January 2010, 15:49   #50
BHPian

I was wondering that how big is your courtyard?

The heading of you thread suggests that you bought a MAN truck
Old 4th January 2010, 16:01   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
I was wondering that how big is your courtyard?

The heading of you thread suggests that you bought a MAN truck
Well...my courtyard is actually a Tennis-Court-Yard. so space for 2 more MAN trucks. Jokes apart, in addition to the MAN, the thread name also depicts SX4 ZXi.
Old 4th January 2010, 16:05   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
Forgot to mention that I got the RC book in flat 6 working days. Kudos to Karnataka RTO. Unbelievable.
  1. Sun Film - I am a bit cautious about putting 40 % VLT films all around except front windshield. The shade is brownish and suits the beige color. Will there be any probelm for the 40 % VLT in Bangalore from COP perspective ? Otherwise how about 50 %, including rear ?
Wow, takes 1.5 months to get the RTO 'smart card' RC here in Pune...

I believe as per the law you need 50% transparency on the sides and 70% on the front and back. Of course most places no one cares but occasionally you do have these police 'drives' to straighten everyone out so...
Old 4th January 2010, 16:16   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwalker View Post
Wow, takes 1.5 months to get the RTO 'smart card' RC here in Pune...

I believe as per the law you need 50% transparency on the sides and 70% on the front and back. Of course most places no one cares but occasionally you do have these police 'drives' to straighten everyone out so...
Sorry, here also it is Smart Card. Default habit of saying RC book.
On sunfilm, I also think in the similar line, but in Karnataka, specifically in Bangalore - I hardly find cars with the norm. Either there is no sunfilm or it is around 35 %. But you never know...
Old 4th January 2010, 17:25   #54
BHPian

lovely pics. great car! what else can you ask for congratulations!
Old 4th January 2010, 17:56   #55
BHPian

Congrats on the "MAN" DD, he looks handsome !! Wish you many many more miles of happy driving experiences !

Quote:

Drive Experience: Gear box certainly Notchy. Reverse gear has engaging problem some times.
I face the same problem in my Swift, i tried this DIY, opened the leather boot around the gear lever and sprayed WD - 40 on the gear shifter mechanism, it helped in making the action smoother !!

Reverse gear engaging problem is quite common in Maruti vehicles, dont know the cause of the same, i press the clutch twice before shifting into reverse, and the shift does become smoother,

Quote:
I havent come across any cops checking for sunfilm or even fining anyone recently. But you never know when they wake up and start one of their "drives"

Should be able to get one at any good tyre shop or on JC Road
. I got one a couple of years ago, dont remember for how much, havent used it though !

3.Planning to buy a vacuum cleaner too.

I saw a small car vacuum in Croma, Brigade Road, which works off the cigarette lighter socket priced around INR 1,800

4.Is it a good idea to consider K&N filter at this moment ? Will it increase the performance / FE ?

How about the warranty ? Would it be affected ? If its just the element type you can remove it before you give the vehicle for service !
I would definetly recommend you upgrade to a HID kit, its worth spending on it, (Approx 9K) buzz me when youre free, can meet up and show you the performance during night time !!
Old 5th January 2010, 01:04   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Forgot to mention that I got the RC book in flat 6 working days. Kudos to Karnataka RTO. Unbelievable. Contrary to that the HDFC insurance policy is yet to come. Although I got a soft copy of the same from the local insurance branch manager.

One more observation on the CAR - The rear left wheel is slightly wobbling. Got this observation while I was checking the rotation of the wheels to find if there is any jam in the disc brakes. Tyre people said its because of Rim. MASS said its because of tyre. Asked MASS to check with a different set of tyre and rim. The problem was still there. They could not sort out the issue that day. Promised that they will check everything during the first service. Although the wheel alignment report shows everything is within limit. But I can still see the visible wobbling, which MASS also acknowledged. Any answer ?

Few accessory additions are yet to happen :
  3. Planning to buy a vacuum cleaner too.
  4. Is it a good idea to consider K&N filter at this moment ? Will it increase the performance / FE ?

1. You got the RC Smart Card pretty quick,

2. Get the rear wheel hub checked, IIRC you did get your tires changed if so then its highly possibly that they (tire dealer) might have hammered the rim so as to fit the new tire there by causing the wobbling.

3. For sun film just stop by at any PCR van (Traffic) parked on the road & find out directly from the cops about whats permissible & whats not.

4. The tubeless repair kits range anywhere between 400-600 here in Delhi.
but they aren't worth it IMHO.

Almost all petrol pumps have tubeless repair kits nowadays.

Get a normal tube instead and keep it in the boot for emergencies as you can use tubeless tires with tubes.

5. Buy the vacuum cleaner only if you actually plan to use it, otherwise its just going to eat up some of your boot space.

6. A K&N filter might void your warranty and the benefits derived wouldn't be much except savings on the yearly expenditure on the regular air filter as these ones last longer than the car itself.
Old 5th January 2010, 11:16   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Congrats on the "MAN" DD, he looks handsome !! Wish you many many more miles of happy driving experiences!

I face the same problem in my Swift, i tried this DIY, opened the leather boot around the gear lever and sprayed WD - 40 on the gear shifter mechanism, it helped in making the action smoother !!

Reverse gear engaging problem is quite common in Maruti vehicles, dont know the cause of the same, i press the clutch twice before shifting into reverse, and the shift does become smoother,

I would definetly recommend you upgrade to a HID kit, its worth spending on it, (Approx 9K) buzz me when youre free, can meet up and show you the performance during night time !!
Thanks Nirmal !
Is WD-40 something recommended by Maruti ? I can ask them to put the same during the first service ?
I find the OSRAM Night Breaker much better than the stock bulb. Of course not in the tune of what they claim like 90 % increase. But for sure there is an increment in both intensity and throw - I can say in the tune of 30-40 %. Will HID Kit void the warranty ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
1. You got the RC Smart Card pretty quick,

2. Get the rear wheel hub checked, IIRC you did get your tires changed if so then its highly possibly that they (tire dealer) might have hammered the rim so as to fit the new tire there by causing the wobbling.

3. For sun film just stop by at any PCR van (Traffic) parked on the road & find out directly from the cops about whats permissible & whats not.

4. The tubeless repair kits range anywhere between 400-600 here in Delhi.
but they aren't worth it IMHO.

Almost all petrol pumps have tubeless repair kits nowadays.

Get a normal tube instead and keep it in the boot for emergencies as you can use tubeless tires with tubes.

5. Buy the vacuum cleaner only if you actually plan to use it, otherwise its just going to eat up some of your boot space.

6. A K&N filter might void your warranty and the benefits derived wouldn't be much except savings on the yearly expenditure on the regular air filter as these ones last longer than the car itself.
2. The tyre changing was done in machine so there was no hammering. And also the tyre balancing machine showed a 0-0. As you said may be they have to check the wheel hub. Even I think the prob lies there.
6. Let me check if the filter change will void warranty or not. But otherwise, if this does not give a significant improvement, no point changing.

Any idea if there is something similar for Petrol as Pete's box for diesel ?
Old 5th January 2010, 17:12   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Nirmal !
Is WD-40 something recommended by Maruti ? I can ask them to put the same during the first service ?
I find the OSRAM Night Breaker much better than the stock bulb. Of course not in the tune of what they claim like 90 % increase. But for sure there is an increment in both intensity and throw - I can say in the tune of 30-40 %. Will HID Kit void the warranty ?
Yes an HID kit will definitely void warranty.

Quote:
2. The tyre changing was done in machine so there was no hammering. And also the tyre balancing machine showed a 0-0. As you said may be they have to check the wheel hub. Even I think the prob lies there.
6. Let me check if the filter change will void warranty or not. But otherwise, if this does not give a significant improvement, no point changing.

Any idea if there is something similar for Petrol as Pete's box for diesel ?

There is a Race Dynamics ECU available for the SX4.

Last edited by maglev : 5th January 2010 at 17:13.
Old 9th January 2010, 15:41   #59
BHPian

700 KM update

All right. My Man is revving up now. Surprisingly the non-pulling effect is diminishing slowly. Well I am actually enjoying the drive except the comparatively inconvenient brake-clutch assembly position.

Also the steering is slightly harder. Guys is it the way it is in SX4 ? or is it because of EPS or because of my 215 size tyre ? All these observations are directly in comparison with the Santro I had earlier.

Fixed 3M CR 70 on the front W/S and Nanolux 40 on the sides and back yesterday. Reasons for going with Nano are :
1. Liked the tint - very light brownish - goes with my beige.
2. While the VLT is 38 % and Heat Rejection is 49%, the film is actually not that dark and hence visibility is quite good.
3. 5 Years warranty.

I am seeing lots of small dotted bubbles across the sides and rear. Dealer guy told it will go off as the films get dried. Is it true ?

Any idea if the suspension could be made a bit softer ?
Old 15th January 2010, 10:58   #60
BHPian

Some observations and Some querries

Windscreen Gurus ! Need your expert feedback on the bubble part as mentioned in my last post.

Yesterday I had a mini-long drive to Nandi Hills. With 4 adults packed SX4 could pull it throughout in 2nd / 3rd gear except during the last steep slopes, where I used 1st gear couple of times. Now I am happy that the pulling problem as I mentioned earlier has gone with more running of the car.

Measured FE for the 2nd time. This time it is 9 kmpl as against 10 I got during 1st tank fill. All in city with AC on 100 % with the same BP unleaded petrol. Is it normal to decrease first and increase again (expecting) ?

Somwhow I feel the steering is a bit off-centric. This I noticed by keeping the steering level exactly at the incstrument cluster top portion (the curved plastic part). Anybody has tried this? May be this is the reason I am getting pain on the right arm after an hour long drive.

Fornax/ Abhi and others - are you feeling any such pain ? Please post your experience so that I can talk to the dealer service person, if it is a common type of problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks