Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2010, 20:44   #46
BHPian

The front bumper in the last pic seems to be almost kissing the ground. Is it not going to be a compromise on ground clearance?
Old 10th January 2010, 22:21   #47
BHPian

Had a real blast today with a lead foot. The average consumption over 40kms was a superb 9kmpl.

Overall consumption since I purchased her: 14.1kmpl over almost 1500kms.

The mods are coming in thick and fast. Here's the stuff I've ordered or plan on ordering in a couple of days:
1. Audi-esque LED DRLs: wire it to any power source and voila!

Price: 1K
2. Fiat valve caps
3. Abarth metal logo for the front grill (still trying to decide on this one. It's pretty expensive at 3K for a single piece).

4. Fiat keychain - haven't found a nice one as yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Btw how about adding some pics of your car to chill us brother.?
Yeah, I need to find a good location in or around DEL for a photoshoot. The current batch of snaps don't do the car any justice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
You planning to black out the headlamps as Fiat has done in the Punto Sport? and any spoilers planned?
Yep, the projectors I've ordered have blacked out casings, like the one in the picture in my previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
The front bumper in the last pic seems to be almost kissing the ground. Is it not going to be a compromise on ground clearance?
That car is just an "inspiration" for the mods. Quite obviously, I'm not going to lower it to that height on Indian roads.

Last edited by khan75 : 10th January 2010 at 22:23.
Old 10th January 2010, 23:28   #48
Senior - BHPian

The mods you are planning are very exciting although I'm not sure if those LED lights would compliment the Punto. But that'll be clear only once we see it in the flesh. why mods only on the exteriors? Try Pete's and we'll soon have the first Abarth-esque Punto on tbhp!
Old 11th January 2010, 01:04   #49
BHPian

HID and LED DRL mods look very interesting.
Once you are done with the mods, do post details of procurement for reference purposes. It would be a great help to the community.

On a different note, are these (HID and LED DRLs) available from your vendor for the Chevy Optra Magnum casing?
Old 11th January 2010, 06:50   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
8. Underbody rust coat

Overall, I'd rate the car a pretty good 8/10. The car should serve me well until the middle of next year. I just hope the depreciation keeps at sane levels.
Congrats on the good deal.

I read in another thread in here that all fiat vehicles come with under body rust coat out of the showroom. Isn't that true?
Old 11th January 2010, 09:00   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
1. Audi-esque LED DRLs: wire it to any power source and voila!
Would you please pm me the cost and from where you sourced this part. I'm interested in this mod. Thanks in advance.
Old 11th January 2010, 12:02   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The mods you are planning are very exciting although I'm not sure if those LED lights would compliment the Punto. But that'll be clear only once we see it in the flesh. why mods only on the exteriors? Try Pete's and we'll soon have the first Abarth-esque Punto on tbhp!

Its the 1.4 FIRE not the T-Jet. No reprogramming possible!
Old 11th January 2010, 16:39   #53
BHPian

Ordered this red keychain with the Punto logo on it off Ebay.

Cost: 450 bucks.

Quote:
Well, I checked out some pictures of Puntos with LED DRLs on the front and they looked nice. I plan on placing it between the bottom edge of the headlamp casing and the bumper. Placing it on top of the headlamp casings would give that ghastly eyebrow look which would definitely look gay. This is the approximate placement I'm going with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asifgrkhan View Post
HID and LED DRL mods look very interesting.
Once you are done with the mods, do post details of procurement for reference purposes. It would be a great help to the community.

On a different note, are these (HID and LED DRLs) available from your vendor for the Chevy Optra Magnum casing?
HID projector headlamp casings are coming from the UK. I'm not sure if the Optra Magnum is sold out there. Nevertheless, I'll ask my contact and get back to you. This is what the casings look like when installed on the GP (the pic shows the chrome casing, I've ordered a blacked out version):

LED DRLs have been ordered off eBay for roughly 1K. It's a flexible strip that can be molded to match with the contours of your headlamps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Congrats on the good deal.

I read in another thread in here that all fiat vehicles come with under body rust coat out of the showroom. Isn't that true?
You're right. I first thought the car didn't have it and had thus planned to doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Would you please pm me the cost and from where you sourced this part. I'm interested in this mod. Thanks in advance.
Weather proof flexible LED DRLs: eBay

Last edited by khan75 : 11th January 2010 at 16:44.
Old 14th January 2010, 19:04   #54
BHPian

First bit of bad news: The Philips Xtreme Powers that I purchased a week back have gone kaput! I turned the lights on a couple of minutes ago and the left one went out even before I had gotten out of the garage. The right bulb probably couldn't bear the ignominy of having to lead a solitary life from now on so it decided to hit the kill switch as well. I don't think they were fakes since I bought them from a very reputed car shop around here. Oh well, it's a good thing Fiat made it easy to change bulbs in a jiffy.
Sheesh 900 bucks down the drain!

Last edited by khan75 : 14th January 2010 at 19:05.
Old 14th January 2010, 19:11   #55
Senior - BHPian

oh God! Didn't expect this from a Phillips. Didn't it come with any warranty?
Old 14th January 2010, 21:07   #56
BHPian

As per my understanding Punto here in India is slightly less in length with compare to punto in UK. Does this make any difference in headlight assembly(more circular then UK punto). If this the case then there would be problem in proper fitting of UK specific headling assembly in India punto.

Even I have punto and also interested in upgrade my punto headlight with projector. But I am confused on this.
Old 14th January 2010, 21:48   #57
BHPian

As you would have expected all the focus seems to be on these LED Lights now and here is more questions:-
1 - Are they going to be fit inside the headlights?
3 - How did you take the measurement?
Old 14th January 2010, 22:33   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurja View Post
As per my understanding Punto here in India is slightly less in length with compare to punto in UK. Does this make any difference in headlight assembly(more circular then UK punto). If this the case then there would be problem in proper fitting of UK specific headling assembly in India punto.

Even I have punto and also interested in upgrade my punto headlight with projector. But I am confused on this.
im pretty sure the length is less due to the front and rear bumper being shortened.
Old 16th January 2010, 10:55   #59
BHPian

Quote:
oh God! Didn't expect this from a Phillips. Didn't it come with any warranty?
Nope nada zilch. I suddenly have a new found appreciation for the stock headlamps & am holding off on any headlamp upgrades until my headlamp casings arrive. (sometime next weekend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurja View Post

Akshay1234's right. The headlamp casing should be a direct fit. It's the bumpers that have been chopped a bit to conform to the 4000mm (or is it 4200mm?) excise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
As you would have expected all the focus seems to be on these LED Lights now and here is more questions:-
1 - Are they going to be fit inside the headlights?
3 - How did you take the measurement?
Nope, this does not involve opening the headlamp casings. Check out my previous post where I've posted a picture of an Audi A4 with the LED to give you an approximate idea of the placement of these. I'll mould the LED string to contour to the natural lines of the tear drop headlamps.
As for the length, I just bought the longest LED DRL string available. I'll chop the remainder off after I've achieved the look I'm after.

Last edited by khan75 : 16th January 2010 at 10:57.
Old 29th March 2010, 15:24   #60
BHPian

Thought I'd update the thread since the car is about to touch 10K kms now and hasn't missed a beat. Average economy during city/highway driving has hovered around the 11.5kpl/16kpl mark. Overall, the car has been very reliable, although that cannot be said about some of the stuff in the interior.

Recurring problems:
1. Hood/Bonnet lever breaks everytime I pull it.
2. Gear knob becomes wobbly every couple of weeks.
3. Bluetooth system is not reliable.
4. The phone button (under the SRC button) on the steering wheel makes a creaking noise everytime I touch it.
5. A very moody rattling noise emanating from the glove box area that can be heard only when the car is driven over massive potholes.

The car is due for a service tomorrow to try and rectify all these problems.

Other issues:
1. The seat fabric could've been better. There are already a couple of micro tears.
2. Shifting from 1st gear to the 2nd is slightly jerky. I usually skip 2nd and shift straight to 3rd when I'm not in a hurry.

Gave her a loving wash and quick detail job over the weekend. The fiery red color now really sparkles out in the sun.

One of these days, I'll need to get her shoes off to clean the alloys from the inside.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks