Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2010, 07:07   #61
BHPian

khan75: i am not able to view the pics in your post number 53 above - different browser doesnt work. Only the keychain pic is visible.

Can you repost ?
Old 30th March 2010, 08:01   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan75 View Post
Thought I'd update the thread since the car is about to touch 10K kms now and hasn't missed a beat. Average economy during city/highway driving has hovered around the 11.5kpl/16kpl mark. Overall, the car has been very reliable, although that cannot be said about some of the stuff in the interior.

Recurring problems:
1. Hood/Bonnet lever breaks everytime I pull it.
2. Gear knob becomes wobbly every couple of weeks.
3. Bluetooth system is not reliable.
4. The phone button (under the SRC button) on the steering wheel makes a creaking noise everytime I touch it.
5. A very moody rattling noise emanating from the glove box area that can be heard only when the car is driven over massive potholes.

The car is due for a service tomorrow to try and rectify all these problems.

Other issues:
1. The seat fabric could've been better. There are already a couple of micro tears.
2. Shifting from 1st gear to the 2nd is slightly jerky. I usually skip 2nd and shift straight to 3rd when I'm not in a hurry.

Gave her a loving wash and quick detail job over the weekend. The fiery red color now really sparkles out in the sun.

One of these days, I'll need to get her shoes off to clean the alloys from the inside.
Thanks for the updates, I would say that the fuel average is quite acceptable. The Fiat engine always had a fantastic growl when accelerated, it's quite addictive. The gearknob becoming loose is a major irritant, a part that is integral to driving shouldn't become loose.

See if that can be worked out during service.

P.S. I was wondering whether the Punto would get any attention now that there's a new boy in house; glad to see that Punter still gets the attention it deserves, it must have done something right
Old 30th March 2010, 17:49   #63
BHPian

All the recurring problems noted in my previous post were fixed at the local Fiat service center earlier today. Except for the micro tearing in the seat fabric, there are no issues to report. The guys at the service center did a botched up job while cleaning the car so I took as an opportunity to vacuum, clean and detail the interior:

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
khan75: i am not able to view the pics in your post number 53 above - different browser doesnt work. Only the keychain pic is visible.

Can you repost ?
I'll add them later. Is there anything specific that you were looking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
P.S. I was wondering whether the Punto would get any attention now that there's a new boy in house; glad to see that Punter still gets the attention it deserves, it must have done something right
It still is my preferred ride for a night out on the town. There's something about it that gets some of the ladies swooning. Of course, there are some who think a Fiat is something that was made during the Cold War but I usually steer clear of those types.
Old 30th March 2010, 18:28   #64
Senior - BHPian

that was long pending update Khan. even i was thinking "will punto get as much attention as Polo" But for sure i know that we petrol heads equally care our machines!

Quote:
there are some who think a Fiat is something that was made during the Cold War but I usually steer clear of those types.
lol. nice one dude
Old 31st March 2010, 01:51   #65
BHPian

Quote:
I'll add them later. Is there anything specific that you were looking for?
I wanted to see how the Day driving LED's and the HID's look for punto
Old 31st March 2010, 02:08   #66
BHPian

I'll try and post step by step instructions to install the LEDs along with the photos tomorrow. Here's what the finished product looks like:

Never got the HIDs for my Punto but I have one or two sample pics from other forums.
Old 31st March 2010, 03:15   #67
Senior - BHPian

Whoa!! Please take a pic during early mornings () or in the late evenings when there is little sunlight - so that a bit more of the car will be visible. Looks HOT!

Eagerly awaiting the step by step - and where you got what is required to do this
Old 31st March 2010, 08:38   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

That really looks good. Pics in twilight will add more spice.
Old 31st March 2010, 10:07   #69
BANNED

Some ideas for your Punto. Make it a reverse of the white Punto. Make the decals and mirrors white. Otherwise add some stripes like the 500.
Attached Thumbnails
Possibly the cheapest Grande Punto on TBHP? 1.4 EmoPack-500_roof.jpg  

Possibly the cheapest Grande Punto on TBHP? 1.4 EmoPack-fiatpuntoabarthside.jpg  

Possibly the cheapest Grande Punto on TBHP? 1.4 EmoPack-precio_fiat_grande_punto_abarth.jpg  

Possibly the cheapest Grande Punto on TBHP? 1.4 EmoPack-tpinfobig_225.jpg  

Possibly the cheapest Grande Punto on TBHP? 1.4 EmoPack-u2du8.jpg  

Possibly the cheapest Grande Punto on TBHP? 1.4 EmoPack-50902338_large.jpg  

Last edited by Live To Jive : 31st March 2010 at 10:09.
Old 3rd April 2010, 22:54   #70
BHPian

Khan!!!

You got a great deal on the car, Congrats!!!!

I own a red punto (mine is MJD) as well.
The LED strip that you have installed, it goes on/off with the headlamps?

Why didn't you go for the HID projector setup? Something technical or some other reason?

Also, I am looking for a rear spoiler for the punto, like the one that comes with Abarth. Let me know if you know who sells it locally.

I loved that ABARTH Badge as well, but thought it was a bit expensive.

BTW, Here is the keychain I got from eBay UK.
Attached Thumbnails
Possibly the cheapest Grande Punto on TBHP? 1.4 EmoPack-img_2209.jpg  

Possibly the cheapest Grande Punto on TBHP? 1.4 EmoPack-img_2208.jpg  

Old 3rd April 2010, 23:27   #71
BHPian

Quote:
I'll try and post step by step instructions to install the LEDs along with the photos tomorrow. Here's what the finished product looks like:

Never got the HIDs for my Punto but I have one or two sample pics from other forums.
Real sweet !!! ... nice..I like the jewel effect ! Do you have shots of how it looks in the day? I mean the LED lining on the headlamp.

More so what all do you reckon are the good shops in del for seat covers for Punto ?

- B4W
Old 3rd April 2010, 23:55   #72
BHPian

Whoops sorry! I completely forgot to post some instructions. I'll do that on Monday if y'all don't mind (I shall be heading out of town tomorrow). In any case, I should be receiving my set of smoked headlamps with xenon projectors and LED daytime lights built in sometime next week so the LED strips are just a temporary DIY setup. I'll probably transfer the setup to the Polo as mentioned in my Polo ownership thread.

@better4worse:
As for the effect during the day, you can ask some of the TBHPians who saw the LEDs and effect at the Noida meet earlier today. Most people thought it looked very nice in the twilight and even better in total darkness.
(I couldn't take the Polo as it was sent over to the VW workshop to get the sports kit on.)
About the seat covers, you really don't need them. As you might know already, I have a pretty sweaty back but for some reason, I don't sweat a lot when sitting in the Punto. The fabric is kinda breathable and very comfortable. Obviously, micro tearing seems to a bit of an issue but as long as you don't mind that, I wouldn't recommend buying a set. Of course, if you want to go down the full leather route, I can hook you up with a couple of good shops in the Karol Bagh area. Let me know when you have your car and I'll direct you from there.

@ph03n!x:
I had ordered the LEDs online (check up the ebay link on page 2 or 3) but you can get a good quality strip for about 750 bucks at any major car market in your city. Be sure to ask for a sealed waterproof one as you certainly don't water running into your LEDs. Some of the other stuff that's required - wires, wire splicer/cutter and a 2 way switch (not required if you plan on hooking the LEDs to the parking lamp.) I wanted my LEDs to be completely independent and have an on/off switch inside the car.

@LiveToJive:
Thanks for the ideas. Just one thing - white mirror caps look very ricey and scream cheap bling. I want my car to look classy. Of course, this is just my view and others may think differently. The stripes are a good idea though. (my next mod perhaps?)

@SumitBahl:
The LED strip is fully independent or in other words, I can turn it on or off whenever I want.
HID projectors built into a smoked headlamp casing coming next week. Abarth badge is totally worth it and gives a slightly different look to the car compared to the drab Fiat one.
Your keychain looks nice but it's pretty long. Why didn't you slot the Punto's key fob in the ring? All I see is the spare key.
I think I know someone who might have something similar to the Abarth roof. Give me until Monday to confirm.

P.S.- I'm not lying when I say this folks- not less than 10 people in their cars have stopped me in traffic to ask about the Punto. The wax has made the red really pop and the LEDs look surreal, especially at night when surrounded by other cars. Case in point - I was heading toward CP from the Noida TBHP meet when some guy in his Palio 1.2 blew the horn a couple of times at a stoplight and then proceeded to profess his love for the Punto. When I told him that a Polo was a good contender in this segment, he actually told me that the Polo and Figo were no match for the Punto's looks. Couldn't help but smile all the way to CP.

Last edited by khan75 : 4th April 2010 at 00:02.
Old 4th April 2010, 00:20   #73
BHPian

Just saw this thread now, and my oh my, you have got yourself a real steal!
Looks like you are happily spending the amount you saved on all those mods you've planned. Waiting to see what the exterior will look like once you're done with the HID conversion.
And, keep the paint stock IMO. Racing stripes will not look good on the beautiful red colour you've got. Just my 2 cents...
Old 4th April 2010, 00:49   #74
BHPian

Quote:
In any case, I should be receiving my set of smoked headlamps with xenon projectors and LED daytime lights built in sometime next week so the LED strips are just a temporary DIY setup. I'll probably transfer the setup to the Polo as mentioned in my Polo ownership thread.
Whats the cost in INR for the smoked headlamps with Xenon projectors ?

Quote:
@better4worse:
As for the effect during the day, you can ask some of the TBHPians who saw the LEDs and effect at the Noida meet earlier today. Most people thought it looked very nice in the twilight and even better in total darkness.
(I couldn't take the Polo as it was sent over to the VW workshop to get the sports kit on.)

P.S.- I'm not lying when I say this folks- not less than 10 people in their cars have stopped me in traffic to ask about the Punto. The wax has made the red really pop and the LEDs look surreal,
Shucks !...I missed the punto!!

Khan75, dude...we need a fresh set of pics for the not so lucky ones ! humble request.
Old 4th April 2010, 00:57   #75
BHPian

Roughly 17k. 13k if you want the smoked headlamps with regular halogen lamps or 24k if you want a bi-xenon setup.

Request granted my dear sir. I have been quite lazy but will surely click some snaps on Monday and post them at lunch hour.

Thanks for the compliments & advice, Preetam_KORG.

In the mean while, the Punto will get some well deserved rest tomorrow (Sunday) as a Polo (not mine but rather my friend's - a white HL) gets its first chance to really stretch its legs on a quick day trip up to Uttaranchal.

Last edited by khan75 : 4th April 2010 at 01:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks