Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2010, 17:44   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstlndrive View Post
Hi Kalyan,
Did you get the sun film done on the rear windshield? If yes, did they do with a single whole film or cut into three (horizontal) pieces and then put with a little overlap with each other? Thanks.
No Sir, I haven't yet got the sun film(s) on the car. I am planning to get that done the coming weekend. I was waiting for my 'Registration Card' to arrive by.

I just called a 3M dealer(PitStop) here in Hyderabad and he informed me that they would put a single sheet on the rear windshield.
Old 25th January 2010, 21:26   #47
BHPian

Quote:
I reported the only issue I faced, that was with the horn(as noticed by other iVTEC owners, long presses of the horn results in it going out of tune). The service advisor called me back once the service was over, he informed me that he had got the horn tuned and if I am not satisfied by the performance, he shall have it replaced under warranty during the next free service.
I too have this problem, it hapens occasionally though. I have kept all ears on it and if it happens again, i will need to get that sorted out quickly.
Old 25th January 2010, 21:42   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
I reported the only issue I faced, that was with the horn(as noticed by other iVTEC owners, long presses of the horn results in it going out of tune). The service advisor called me back once the service was over, he informed me that he had got the horn tuned and if I am not satisfied by the performance, he shall have it replaced under warranty during the next free service.
Quote:

I just called a 3M dealer(PitStop) here in Hyderabad and he informed me that they would put a single sheet on the rear windshield.
Hi Kalyan

Can you please elaborate on this horn de-tuning issue ?, I have not encountered this issue on my car, May be because, i generally do not use the horn while i am in the city, even if i use it it is a very short one
Even though i have used long horns on highways, i have not noticed this isse. How long should be the duration ?

Secondly please check the effect of 3M films on rear de-fogger prior to putting it on.
Old 26th January 2010, 17:39   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanth_yk View Post
I too have this problem, it hapens occasionally though. I have kept all ears on it and if it happens again, i will need to get that sorted out quickly.
Jayanth, if you have noticed this in your car, then why wait, I suggest you bring this up with your service station during the next service interval and see if they replace the horn with immediate effect or just tune it initially and then replace it if the issue still persists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi Kalyan

Can you please elaborate on this horn de-tuning issue ? Even though i have used long horns on highways, i have not noticed this isse. How long should be the duration ?
Hi Star,

I didn't notice this issue for the first three weeks in my car either. The usage of horn in my car is pretty moderate and I hate to hold on to it for longer intervals so most of the time it is like 'keen'(<1 sec press) pause 'keen'(<1 sec press) and so on if the need be.

But, just before I was to send my car for servicing last week, I accidentally held on to the horn for say 3-4 secs and what I notice is it starts fine with a 'keen' sound and is then followed by a 'keeeeeoooooon' sound which is like totally disgusting to the ear. I repeated this at different times and see that this still exists(even after the tuning job that was performed during the first service).

Also, at times now, what I notice is that even if the interval is short, it would sound out of tune depending on where the horn were pressed from on the horn bar. To make it more clear, say if I were to rotate the steering wheel while maneuvering a turn and were to press the horn bar, I would not be able to press it from where I normally would, so the point would be a little closer to the center of the horn bar.

Check this (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1659009) on Joe Cherian's thread where Nandan has very well put the tune as 'Besura' and 'Apaswara'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Secondly please check the effect of 3M films on rear de-fogger prior to putting it on.
I did discuss this with the service advisor last week and he was of the opinion that since the de-fogger is on the inside and the film would be put on the outside, it should have no interference with the de-fogger's function.

In-fact, my Honda dealer had offered me complimentary 3M sun films on the car but their supply was limited to certain variants and thus I opted for getting this done from outside.
Old 28th January 2010, 11:10   #50
BHPian

Precautions while getting sun film(s) on your car

I have got the sun film(s) on my car.
For now, only the sides are finished, the dealer was out of stock for the sun film I requested on the rear so I will need to visit him again sometime the coming weekend. I asked for 3M RE 50 on the sides and RE 70 on the rear(as per RTA norms in Hyderabad). The film for the sides was put on the inside of the glasses but I have re-confirmed that the film for the rear and front will be put on the outside and not to the inside hence there will be no damage to the de-fogger wiring.

Also, when asked about the two/ three stripes on the rear, my dealer promised to get me one single sheet on the rear. He said some dealers do that to save on films as putting a single sheet on the whole of the rear wastes quite a bit of film for them esp. for bigger cars like ANHC, Altis, Accord, etc.

Also, here are some things I think one should get clarified before-hand from the dealer one is planning to get the sun film(s) installed:
1. Make sure you tell them you want one single sheet on the rear and that the film should be on the outside and not inside(for safety of the rear de-fogger).

2. Do ask about whether they are going to take the side glasses out and do the filming or as it is.

In my case, the dealer insisted on taking the glasses out. Since, I had seen another ANHC being filmed in front of me, I was assured of their expertise in taking the glasses out and performing the work.

It would be good if your dealer can do it without taking the glasses out, if not, please make sure that you are present at the store/ workshop when this thing is done on your car. Also make sure that they do not cut anything. I must tell you that the scene when they have removed all the glasses looks pretty scary and makes you think otherwise.

3. For the sides, it should not matter whether the film is put on the inside or the outside.

4. Be very sure of which sun film(s) you want, I mean the brand and the shade, make sure to look at the shade card they show you and compare the sun film they are installing on your car to the shade card you have selected the shade from. Often, the sun film is cut from big rolls and you may not see the roll from which it was cut out of so insist that the roll is taken out in front of you and the sun film cut out of it. You will get a chance to look at the brand and the shade code in this case.

In my case, I also selected a shade for the front screen, Gareware Ice Cool Elite 70, but while installation, they started to perform the work with Gareware Ice cool Shield 70. Since we had agreed on Elite, I asked the work to be stopped and my money refunded which was duly done by the dealer. Often, this happens not because the dealer wants to cheat but because the workers are not able to differentiate between various qualities of rolls within a brand, etc.

I am being charged Rs 3600.00 for the sides and the rear. At my Honda dealer, the same costs Rs 4750.00.
Old 28th January 2010, 14:20   #51
BHPian

Quote:
front screen, Gareware Ice Cool Elite 70
How much did they quote for front screen?
Old 28th January 2010, 14:50   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
How much did they quote for front screen?
It was Rs 3000.00. The quotation was given for Gareware Ice Cool Elite 70 but the dealer only had Ice Cool Shield 70 in stock.
Old 28th January 2010, 15:10   #53
BHPian

Mileage after first free service

Distance traveled after last refill(tank full): 250.2 Kms
Fuel refilled(tank full): 21.17 l (Shell unleaded)
Mileage(calculated as per tank full method): 11.81 kmpl
Mileage(as reported by the odometer controls): 12.7 kmpl

This was with 100% AC usage and in 100% City traffic.
Old 28th January 2010, 15:16   #54
BHPian

Hi Kalyan,
Thank you for your detailed information. This is the kind of info I was looking for. I think it is a good guidance for anyone who wants to tint their car windows. When I took the delivery of the car, the dealer tinted only the side windows, but did not do the rear since it has the defogger (may be a cost-cutting). You gave me a good suggestion that I should do on outside. I conveyed this to him, he agreed and will do whenever it gets sunny in Delhi.
It is really a useful help. You may post the same in car modifications section.
Old 28th January 2010, 17:18   #55
BHPian

Front and rear sunfilm on outside, that's for the first time I am hearing, if you put the film on outside for front then wiper will damage it within no time and due to dust, wind it will get removed in 1-2 days only.
Dont worry about the defogger wiring they are inside the glass not on the outside or inner side.
Sunfilms are always put on inner side.
Old 28th January 2010, 17:52   #56
Senior - BHPian

Hi Kalyan_hyd.. not to offend you or anyone.. but I think the dealer where you got the film installed had no idea what they are upto...

Quote:
.. but I have re-confirmed that the film for the rear and front will be put on the outside and not to the inside hence there will be no damage to the de-fogger wiring...

1. Make sure you tell them you want one single sheet on the rear and that the film should be on the outside and not inside(for safety of the rear de-fogger).
I am no expert in films.. but this is the first time I am hearing that films are stuck from outside.. please be sure what you are upto.. the front screen will be prone to more exposure to sun/heat/rain/wiper.. and hence, won't last long.. it might be even a safety hazard.. I have film on my rear and it is from inside and defogger works like a charm..

Quote:
.. 2. Do ask about whether they are going to take the side glasses out and do the filming or as it is.

In my case, the dealer insisted on taking the glasses out. Since, I had seen another ANHC being filmed in front of me, I was assured of their expertise in taking the glasses out and performing the work.
This is again a first.. taking out the whole glass screen to stick the film! The OEM fitment of the glass/windscreens can't be match.. so, this is strongly advised against!
Old 28th January 2010, 18:28   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post
Front and rear sunfilm on outside, that's for the first time I am hearing.
My bad, you are absolutely right. Thanks for the correction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Hi Kalyan_hyd.. not to offend you or anyone.. but I think the dealer where you got the film installed had no idea what they are upto...
No offence taken, thanks for correcting me. You are right there about the sun-films being put to the inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
This is again a first.. taking out the whole glass screen to stick the film! The OEM fitment of the glass/windscreens can't be match.. so, this is strongly advised against!
I would agree with you when you say it is strongly advised against. But, as far as my experience goes, there is no need to worry a lot about it if your car does not have side airbags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstlndrive View Post
You gave me a good suggestion that I should do on outside. I conveyed this to him, he agreed and will do whenever it gets sunny in Delhi.
Sir, I am very sorry about my earlier post. After seeing the replies from TheBeastFieast and iTNerd, I called my dealer again. I asked him in plain words and he said of-course the film will be put on the inside. Also called the 3M Customer Care HO(Bangalore) and got things confirmed.

Sun-films are always to be put on the inside only. I think there was some confusion between what I meant when I told the dealer about the de-fogger and what he said about it being put on the outside.

Another point, as itNerd pointed out, installation of sun film on the rear windscreen should not be an issue with the rear de-fogger.

Kudos to TheBeastFieast and iTNerd. It is for people like you that I like T-BHP so much.
Old 29th January 2010, 05:59   #58
BHPian

Thanks Kalyan, I know my reactions were sharp but just didnt wanted something wrong happening with our T-BHP member.

BTW, congrats on your car and thanks for the nice review.

I was also confused between Fiesta and ANHC and as you rightly wrote, Fiesta feels more in control while ANHC gives a feel of big car and initially there are worries of handling (might be due to I drive a small car - Zen at this time).

But yes both of them are gems and in my case its heart (ANHC) over head (Fiesta) because of only 2 reasons.
1.) Peace of mind as I will have it at least for 6-7 years.
2.) I am going for Automatic, (Again peace of mind as my wife would be able to drive that which will give more peace).
Old 29th January 2010, 11:22   #59
BHPian

Quote:
I have got the sun film(s) on my car.
.. I asked for 3M RE 50 on the sides and RE 70 on the rear(as per RTA norms in Hyderabad).
Kalyan, I also bought a ANHC this month and am planning to get the sun films once the registration is done. How do you think the RE series compete when compared with 3M CS or other 3M series. I would like to see your vehicle once, regarding the shades. Mine is white ANHC VAT. Thanks in advance.
Old 29th January 2010, 12:29   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Kalyan, I know my reactions were sharp but just didnt wanted something wrong happening with our T-BHP member.
My pleasure. Sharp reactions are the need of the hour in cases like these since my review was effecting other T-BHPian's(Fstlndrive) decisions too.

Quote:
BTW, congrats on your car and thanks for the nice review.

I was also confused between Fiesta and ANHC and as you rightly wrote, Fiesta feels more in control while ANHC gives a feel of big car and initially there are worries of handling (might be due to I drive a small car - Zen at this time).
Thanks for the wishes and compliments on the review. Well, after a month's ownership, I can just say that the 'big' car feeling lasts for a week at most and then you are used to it. Driving the ANHC is a real pleasure and handling the car is not an issue at all.

Quote:
But yes both of them are gems and in my case its heart (ANHC) over head (Fiesta) because of only 2 reasons.
1.) Peace of mind as I will have it at least for 6-7 years.
2.) I am going for Automatic, (Again peace of mind as my wife would be able to drive that which will give more peace).
I couldn't agree more when you say both of them are gems. Driving the AT version of the ANHC will be a pleasure in itself(with the paddle shifts). Congratulation on the decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Kalyan, I also bought a ANHC this month and am planning to get the sun films once the registration is done. How do you think the RE series compete when compared with 3M CS or other 3M series.
Congratulations on your new car, Sir. Driving an AT must be an experience in itself.

I cannot tell the difference between the different 3M series sun control films (physically). I can only tell you why I chose the films for my car in this manner:
1. 3M CR 70 for the front windscreen
2. 3M RE 50 for the sides
3. 3M RE 70 for the rear windscreen

As per RTA regulations in Hyderabad, we can only chose films with 70% or more 'Visible Light Transmission(VLT)' for the front and the rear windscreens. We can chose films with 50% or more VLT for the sides.

(IMHO)Front screen is the most important part because the heat from the front is a lot effective as most of the times it directly effects the vision and also the AC cooling. So, I chose CR70 for the front windscreen, as though the VLT for this film is 70%, the percentage of solar energy rejected is very high at 50%. This is a bit expensive and costed me Rs 5500.00.

For the sides, CR did not fit my budget so I compared the solar energy rejected figures between RE, CS and SP series and noticed the following:
1. RE 50 (43%)
2. CS 50 (33%)
3. SP 50 (29%)
The UV reduction(98-99%) and VLT were similar for all the three. CS and RE costs the same and have a 3 year warranty so I chose RE 50 for the sides. Similarly, I chose RE 70 for the rear as the solar energy rejected(34%) in this case was the highest. The sides and the rear costed me Rs 3600.00.

One important point to note would be that RE is a premium metallised series and therefore there might be an interference with satellite signals like the cellphones, etc. CS series description mentions that there is zero interference with signals. But, 3M does not have a film with 70% VLT in the CS series so ideally there is no film for rear windscreen in the CS series.

Listed below is the technical description of each of 3M series sun control film and their respective warranty. You may want to read the description and compare what suits your car the best.

3M SP series (3M India: Executive) - 2 year warranty

3M CS series (3M India: CS Series) - 3 year warranty

3M RE series (3M India: RE Series) - 3 year warranty

3M CR series (3M India: Choose your film) - 5 year warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
I would like to see your vehicle once, regarding the shades. Thanks in advance.
My pleasure, Sir. I have PMed you my cellphone number, you may call me anytime and we can schedule a meet.

Last edited by kalyan_hyd : 29th January 2010 at 12:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks