Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2010, 14:50   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ECU's to check on my vehicle, Engine ECU, ABS ECU, Airbag ECU, Transmission ECU out that they already have others expect Airbag.
With just 4 ECU's M&M ASC's are not equipped for service. The all new 2010 Scorpio(or any other name!) is supposed to have ~16 ECUs!!
M&M better gear up their ASC's first properly to do the service side!
Old 5th January 2010, 15:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

Congrats.
Good to see a 4wd AT Scorpio on the forum. Will be looking forward to you updates. Does this version come with LSD at the rear..? Could you post some detail of the 4wd system being used in conjunction with this AT..?

Hope they resolve the Airbags issue soon. It sure is a critical safety component that im sure played a big role in your purchase decision.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 5th January 2010, 15:54   #33
BHPian

Wow congrats on ur Scorpio . Welcome to the Scorpio owners club ..

For a vehicle of this size , 4X4 , Air bags are a welcome accessory . The Auto dealer also offered me of this feature way back when i bought the Scorpio in Nov -2009 ..
Old 5th January 2010, 17:53   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
. Does this version come with LSD at the rear..? Could you post some detail of the 4wd system being used in conjunction with this AT..?

Hope they resolve the Airbags issue soon. It sure is a critical safety component that im sure played a big role in your purchase decision.
Scorpio/Safari/Bolero GLX 4x4 share the same Borg Warner 4WD Transfer Case. The same transfer case is used with the AT. Unlike the older T-18 Transfer case from Mahindra which is almost integrated into the main gearbox this Borg Warner Unit is attached to the end of the a regular gearbox with a coupling.
Old 5th January 2010, 18:02   #35
~~h
BHPian

Congrats Pramods, I'm planning to buy one in the next 6 months horizon.. Looking forward to your ownership report
Old 5th January 2010, 23:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Scorpio/Safari/Bolero GLX 4x4 share the same Borg Warner 4WD Transfer Case. The same transfer case is used with the AT. Unlike the older T-18 Transfer case from Mahindra which is almost integrated into the main gearbox this Borg Warner Unit is attached to the end of the a regular gearbox with a coupling.
Thanks for the info buddy. What about the LSD on the Scorpio?
Old 6th January 2010, 07:20   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Thanks for the info buddy. What about the LSD on the Scorpio?
No LSD on Scorpio 4x4 which is definitely a disadvantage. But the rear is a standard Dana 44, 30 spline axles so you can import any LSD for this Dana axle set up. The Safari LSD is a light duty one that is meant to work only at low rpms/torque. I read about this in a Tata 4x4 test drive in South African.
Old 6th January 2010, 18:01   #38
BHPian

Finally, some initial thoughts of buying and driving experience.
Buying: out of 2 sales and service, I went to Provinical automobile first but they were adamant on getting full payment in advance and then delivery which was not acceptable to me, I went to Unnati and the AT 4WD was booked in end of Oct 09 with promise delivery date of 10th Dec, at the start of Dec they informed about delay, delivery of vehicle may get extended till end of Dec and advice me to contact Mahindra with contact information, I talked to Mahindra guy and they offered me White color AT 4WD which can be delivered by 10th Dec, my choice was Black which was going to take time, I took this opportunity to revise the spec from old model to new model with airbag with delivery schedule in 1st week of Jan 10, got the vehicle delivered on 1st Jan 10. Not a smooth ride, but got the delivery of the vehicle with Airbag malfunction light ON, service department still don't have tool to diagnose and fix!

Vehicle: My old Scorpio VLX was older version before the "refresh" model, so visually it has changed to the chrome tooth grill, and the side cladding on black Scorpio are no more black,cladding comes with Scorpio embossed and automatic sticker, internally the cigarette ash tray is gone, in place a 4WD electronic shifter, auto box also takes lots of previously available space , airbag has encroached the passenger side dashboard grip and space, apart from these changes a new addition ismicrophone on the roof for bluetooth communication and it works well.

Auto box, initial thought was it too slow and lazzy but it was all because I was driving too slow, once I got somewhat used too, and floored the pedal it felt similar to what it used to in manual, but it would take few hundred more kilometer to really know how to take advantage of this auto box. I still fear overtaking any other vehicle in crunch situation, with manual box I would have down shifted and floored the pedal, but here I am not sure what need to be done, but l did felt on some occasion if I floored the pedal hard it down shift automatically and picks up the speed but not sure as of now.

Changes : Changed the Bridgestone HT to Geolander AT, Rs1100 per tyre in exchange, got the Scorpio transparent mat for free, this is the only free item for showroom

I tried to do some offroading to test the 4H and its working, went to a small lake near Nagpur and put the 4H mode to test, it was a small test nothing major just wanted to get feel of 4WD.

Cost : Rs1240437 Onroad Nagpur

I am yet to get the vehicle registration done, hopefully will be done tomorrow, once I get the registration number will take it to places. Will keep you all updated on Airbag issue, and the steering issue, the alignment seems to be out of order, the vehicle pulls toward right.

-Pramod
Old 6th January 2010, 18:21   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post

Auto box, initial thought was it too slow and lazzy but it was all because I was driving too slow, once I got somewhat used too, and floored the pedal it felt similar to what it used to in manual, but it would take few hundred more kilometer to really know how to take advantage of this auto box. I still fear overtaking any other vehicle in crunch situation, with manual box I would have down shifted and floored the pedal, but here I am not sure what need to be done, but l did felt on some occasion if I floored the pedal hard it down shift automatically and picks up the speed but not sure as of now.
You could try shifting to 'M' and you should get the same effect as downshifting and once you are cruising, you could shift back to 'D'.
Old 6th January 2010, 20:26   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

@pramods:

This AT box like any other AT should have a kick down feature. For emergency overtaking maneuvers just floor the pedal and the AT should down shift. To early to say what M mode is. Mahindra calls it Engine braking mode. Not sure if you want to use that when overtaking in a hurry.
Old 6th January 2010, 20:58   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Pramod on being the proud owner of yet another brand new Scorpio. "Yet another" is because you had one and have again bought one.I think Unnati is better than Provincial. The latter one works somewhat like a govt department.
But was surprised to know that they gave you only the transparent footmat set as a freebie.Just for the "Refresh" sake they offer no discounts etc.
I am sure you will like the performance of your new 4X4 wheeler which looks butch.
Old 6th January 2010, 21:16   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@pramods:

This AT box like any other AT should have a kick down feature. For emergency overtaking maneuvers just floor the pedal and the AT should down shift. To early to say what M mode is. Mahindra calls it Engine braking mode. Not sure if you want to use that when overtaking in a hurry.
According to the brochure M is Manual/Engine-braking. When I test drove Scorp automatic, I did shift back and forth between D and M several times. I did not drive downhill but on normal roads and the behavior in M mode is such that upshift occurs at redline so it should provide the much needed downshifting. The kick down in D mode when we press the gas comes with significantly high lag (or so I felt when I test drove it) so for those times when you are a bit impatient shifting down to M might work better.
Old 6th January 2010, 22:23   #43
BHPian

Quote:
@pramods:

This AT box like any other AT should have a kick down feature. For emergency overtaking maneuvers just floor the pedal and the AT should down shift ...
Exactly, this is what I experienced, I was not sure now it make sense, I have not yet tried M mode and don't want to try for some time, till the runin is done the manual way be not to take the vehicle to higher RPM's.
@Anjan, Unnati better and I know lot of service and sales people there but it's too far for me almost 19 kms while Provincial is just 4kms,but after the experience with sales I am not going there anymore, to visit Unnati motors I have to plan and spend lots time.
My first priority is to get the airbag and steering fixed, hope I get this fast.

-Pramod
Old 6th January 2010, 22:52   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

@hondadude:

If you are cruising at 6th gear and want to overtake, will putting it in M mode shift to 5th? I understand that if you drive in M mode, overtaking maybe easier since it will red-line before up-shifting.

I think pramod is talking about a scenario where you are saying doing 100 in 6th gear and need to downshift to 5th to overtake, I am not sure if enabling the m mode in this scenario will cause the AT to downshift. I think only the kickdown feature will work in this scenario.

Also most modern automatics have a learn feature that adapts the shift patterns to how enthusiastic your right foot is. The Scorpio AT gearbox is a very modern unit and it is possible that this feature exists.

@Pramod:

Did you get the Captains Chairs with AT Scorpio as well? Since you had Captains on your previous one, I am just curious as to what you think about this Captains Chairs vs the regular middle row since I ordered mine with the Captains Chairs.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 6th January 2010 at 22:54.
Old 6th January 2010, 23:14   #45
BHPian

That's great, but as far as I know AT 4wd don't come with captain seat, I kinda liked the captain very much as it more flexible, it can be pushed back to create more leg room plus selectively folded to creat some luagge scape. I don't like this bench seat which comes with 4wd, dealer promised me in case any exchange requirements with captain seat comes to his notice he would notify me.
The best would be captain seat in middle and side facing at the back, side facing seat blocks the acess to adjust captain seat, so it need some custom design and arangements.
I hope you get you vehicle with Captain seat.
Pramod
Closed Thread

Most Viewed