Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2010, 18:47   #76
BHPian

Congrats Pramod for your 4x4 AT VLX. Hope you have loads of fun with it. You've got the best of both worlds - comfy in bumper to bumper traffic and enough juice to go beyond regular tarmac for some peace & quiet.

One question: What's the method of shifting into 4L in the automatic? Do you need to stop, put the shifter into N or P, switch to 4L, wait for the lights to stop blinking, and then bring it back to D or M? Just curious, because in the manual you have to stop, press the clutch and shift to 4L from 4H.

Do let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
No LSD on Scorpio 4x4 which is definitely a disadvantage. But the rear is a standard Dana 44, 30 spline axles so you can import any LSD for this Dana axle set up.
@4x4addict, thanks for this info. Have been keen on getting a locker for the Scorpio, and I'd asked the ASC for the spline count. They obviously have no clue about what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Guys back from Service Center, good news every problem has been resolved,
... I booked the vehicle and figured out that mine is the first mHawk AT 4WD delivered!!
Mahindra airbag vehicle comes factory locked and they need to be unlocked at delivery, this was done and now its working[as per the airbag device, you can't check airbag working ;-)]
@Pramods, Good advice about the Airbags.

Quote:
Yeah, I just have appreciation for them, as it was a serious issue, Service center chief engineer was working full time, the service record was filed after everything was fixed, they even worked during there lunch time without break. I hope every customer at every instance get the same treatment forever, this type of treatment does give lots of hope.
Pramod
Hmm. This is indeed rare. Is that the reason for the solar eclipse? . Pity that Unnati Motors is about 2,000 km from Delhi. If I drive there and back, it will be time for service again. Probably every alternate service, but I digress! I really hope customer service is picking up at M&M. In the past 16 services (almost 4 years) with them, I've had to raise my voice in at least 12 to sort something or the other.

Cheers,
Old 15th January 2010, 18:57   #77
BHPian

It too have read the 4L requirement and it say you need to come to standstill and then engage 4L, have not tried 4L yet, but will follow the process to put the vehicle in "N, engage 4L and put into D, service guy won't know the detail [my guess].
I searched the 4x4 forum of South Africa and figured out that Scorpio rear is a NOT standard Dana 44, and the LSD has to be made differently, there are few provider there in SA who are doing that!!

Now I need some work break to get on the road and offroad to enjoy/test the vehicle

-Pramod
Old 15th January 2010, 20:21   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Now I need some work break to get on the road and offroad to enjoy/test the vehicle

-Pramod
its good that your problem has been resolved.Happy driving!
I too have only good words to speak about Unnati (my dealer and the place where I go for service) and fully agree that they are splendid indeed!
Old 15th January 2010, 21:51   #79
Senior - BHPian

Pramod, happy for you that the tensions are gone! Hope it stays that way!
For shifting to 4L or out of 4L, yes, the car has to be brought to standstill and drive mode needs to be in N.
Old 16th January 2010, 02:04   #80
BHPian

@roshun, @anupmathur : thanks for confirmation, I want to use 4L but for that I need to go somewhere ;-(, and hoping that the vehicle stay in the preset state and I just have to visit the service center for mandatory service only.
@anjan: Lets meet some time some where.

Pramod
Old 18th January 2010, 11:36   #81
BHPian

Was able to use both 4H and 4L yesterday, went to Jilpi lake[23 KM from Nagpur] this location has a lake and a hilly terrain surrounding, I tried 4L to get on the incline and was able to make it, same goes for the wet lake area, I would have never ever thought of taking these type of risk in 2wd, the vehicle performed as expected and no hiccups. no images to show the terrain as I was all alone. Some observation, even in 4L if we are not in M mode the vehicle peakup the more than required speed, its better to use M on decline and stiff incline. I will be going back to same terrain next time till I find some other location to do some nominal offroading.
-Pramod
Old 19th January 2010, 18:42   #82
BHPian

One question, Is it advisable to change the engine oil first time at 1000KM as this is what is the running period mentioned in the manual?
I changed the engine oil on my previous Scorpio at 5K kms, but won't mind changing it now after the run-in period to have a better clean the first hand minute debris of setting in of the engine from factory. Mahindra other vehicle like commander, camper are routinely driven to destination from factory and I believe the service center don't change the oil, does it make any difference in those vehicle engine life?

-Pramod

-Pramod
Old 19th January 2010, 19:19   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@Pramods:

Not sure what happens in India but in the US, my Honda Pilot manual specifically said not to do the first oil change before the specified interval the reason being that the first oil poured is treated to help the engine set properly. I would leave it for 5K. The newer generation engines shed less shavings in run period.
Old 19th January 2010, 21:39   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One question, Is it advisable to change the engine oil first time at 1000KM as this is what is the running period mentioned in the manual?
I changed the engine oil on my previous Scorpio at 5K kms, but won't mind changing it now after the run-in period to have a better clean the first hand minute debris of setting in of the engine from factory. Mahindra other vehicle like commander, camper are routinely driven to destination from factory and I believe the service center don't change the oil, does it make any difference in those vehicle engine life?

-Pramod

-Pramod
The sump of my new engine was opened today and there was wasn't any debri at all in the oil. This is at 500 Km life. So if there is nothing at 500, I'm sure there will be nothing at 5000. So I think no need to change the engine oil
Old 19th January 2010, 21:51   #85
BHPian

Best Wishes and Hearty Congrats to you Pramod. Enjoy Your ride safely.
Old 19th January 2010, 23:19   #86

Congratulations on your New ride Pramod

Hi Pramod, Congratulations on your new ride. The car is a stunner!.

I have been looking at one of your old post about VLX ownership and on a sad note you also mentioned it got stolen? were you able to get complete money back for the cost of car or did they gave you the total price with depreciation? It would be a very good learning for other owners about the process.
Old 19th January 2010, 23:20   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was able to use both 4H and 4L yesterday, went to Jilpi lake[23 KM from Nagpur] this location has a lake and a hilly terrain surrounding, -Pramod
Time for some pictures. Interested in seeing how the black on silver scorp looks on natural surroundings.
Old 19th January 2010, 23:48   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathan View Post
Hi Pramod, Congratulations on your new ride. The car is a stunner!.

I have been looking at one of your old post about VLX ownership and on a sad note you also mentioned it got stolen? were you able to get complete money back for the cost of car or did they gave you the total price with depreciation? It would be a very good learning for other owners about the process.
There is some confusion it's not ME whose old Scorpio got stolen, I think he is shatrughna.

Looks like I don't have to change the engine oil, the newer engine or for that matter the old engine[pick up and camper] they hold good for long, so next oil change on first servicing that's at 5K.

-Pramod
Old 20th January 2010, 20:06   #89
BHPian

Jilpi lake, I went back for some offroading, and was able to get 2 images, again used the 4wd H and L mode to climb the stiff incline and some lake bed driving, this time I tried few place first in 2wd and the vehicle started slipping on simple incline which I thought was doable in 2wd, I have to reverse and put 4H and was able to make it quite comfortably.

Look at the incline going toward the lake bed
2010 Scorpio Automatic 4x4: Initial Report-resized2.jpg

I am trying to gauge the incline as well as stone on lake bed
2010 Scorpio Automatic 4x4: Initial Report-resized3.jpg

-Pramod
Old 26th January 2010, 21:54   #90
BHPian

Just wanted to do a long drive to make sure everything is working as expected, as run-in period was already over and have already done the Jungle ride to check all gears in Pench, now I want to put the vehicle to pace, did a 400KM ride today, Nagpur-Adilabad-Nagpur, this road is still not up to mark, there are patches that gives you hope that once this NH7 is done then it would be a dream ride,but for now only 70 KM from Nagpur is enjoyable provided the railway crossing at butobori is open, else you might have to spend 45min or more to cross this. The one incident that I believe the only mHawk with tail owner will enjoy is in bumper to bumper traffic, at the rail crossing the traffic was too high and vehicles were trying to enter from all corner and in this rush I heard a bang and realized that some one has hit me from behind, I thought my bumper is gone and came out to see the damage, my anger transferred into laughter when I saw the Santro had hit the TAIL and the number plate of Santro is gone and the bumper is hanging with few of the clips are out of place, the Santro driver said sorry, I told him his bumper is gone and need to be careful as my Scorpio has a tail!!
The vehicle performed as expected.
Acceleration: I can say for sure its at par or may be even better with MT, there is nothing to worry just press the pedal and the vehicle zoom past.
Overdrive, this get engaged only when you are driving above 110KMPH, if you press the pedal and your RPM touches 3.2K then this gear shift happen and the RPM drops around 2.4K RPM and now you are in overdrive/6th gear if you need a punch just press the pedal hard and it will downshift automatically and will accelerate.
Handling, It seems to handle better than the previous VLX on turns and even on bad road, may be because of the added weight of AT and 4WD, but it sure handle better than my previous VLX.
Seat, it seems there are few changes in the seat too, it feel more comfortable, the driving seat give more back support than the previous version.
Overall, I am enjoying it, the odo reads 1800KM as of now, this include a trip to Pench National Park on sunday and today's drive.
Distance covered today: 400KM
-Pramod

PS: Just one problem, I noted I need to crank the vehicle twice in the morning, it doesn't start in the first crank in the morning, any idea?

Last edited by pramods : 26th January 2010 at 22:00.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks