Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2010, 14:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

yes vprasad, A pillar isnt that a problem with sx4, maybe its about adjusting your driving along with one car you have.
Old 12th January 2010, 00:24   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwalker View Post
- How was the uphill performance? I realise the expressway has a very gentle grade and it was just two of you but any info on the best gear/ rpms would be useful
Generally, I'm old-school, 2nd at 20, 3rd at 30, 4th at 40 and 5th at 50. I know for a fact, that the SX4 is really not meant for those ratios, and I'm myself searching for the optimum rpm for up-shift.

However, to answer your question here's what I recollect:

Going uphill was never a bother really, did the famed hairpin in 3rd, and could manage long winding curves at 80 in 4th.

While on the return journey, it was 3rd all the way, as I was braking frequently.

RPM: I'm afraid, no data on that - coz my eyes were glued on the road. But I've developed a liking to the 1800-2500 section, which is where I'd presume I must have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivprasad View Post
The A-pillar is not such a problem as reversing the SX4 at night against a wall/other car etc. But I am getting used to that as well, and eventually may not go for parking sensors.
For now, I've trained my watchman to guide me while parking. Also, have been assisted mostly while parking so I'll leave this open.
Old 12th January 2010, 10:45   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
Generally, I'm old-school, 2nd at 20, 3rd at 30, 4th at 40 and 5th at 50. I know for a fact, that the SX4 is really not meant for those ratios, and I'm myself searching for the optimum rpm for up-shift.

However, to answer your question here's what I recollect:

Going uphill was never a bother really, did the famed hairpin in 3rd, and could manage long winding curves at 80 in 4th.

While on the return journey, it was 3rd all the way, as I was braking frequently.

RPM: I'm afraid, no data on that - coz my eyes were glued on the road. But I've developed a liking to the 1800-2500 section, which is where I'd presume I must have been.

For now, I've trained my watchman to guide me while parking. Also, have been assisted mostly while parking so I'll leave this open.
Generally, in the old SX4 (Non VVT), real surge happens at around 2.5K RPM. As you slot the gear into 2 and gradually raise the accelerator till you touch 2.5K rpm and then floor the pedal, the car surges ahead just like the turbo effect in Diesel Swift.

I normally follow the following pattern (may not be ideal for good FE)

1st gear: 0-20Kmph
2nd Gear - 20-40Kmph
3rd: 40-60Kmph
4th:60-80Kmph
5th: 80 upwards
Old 12th January 2010, 11:04   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Generally, in the old SX4 (Non VVT), real surge happens at around 2.5K RPM. As you slot the gear into 2 and gradually raise the accelerator till you touch 2.5K rpm and then floor the pedal, the car surges ahead just like the turbo effect in Diesel Swift.
Hmm VVT power surge starts from 1900-2000 rpm, also the gearing ratios are different (a little taller) so would need very different driving behaviour for the two.

If anyone can get the old/ new torque curves and gear ratios will be very handy for all!
Old 12th January 2010, 11:20   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You would be seriously straining the engine at these shift patterns- low RPM can be more harmful for an engine than high RPM, esp in petrols.

the ideal shift pattern is when the engine is in the meat of its torque curve. As per my experience, for the SX4 (non VVT), upshifting between 2.5 to 3 k gives the best mix of good performance along with decent FE.
Old 12th January 2010, 21:39   #36
BHPian

I generally upshift in the 2500-3500 rpm range & sometimes take her up till 5500 rpm, the torque delivery post 2000 rpm is simply amazing. mine's a non VVT.
Old 12th January 2010, 23:44   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
I normally follow the following pattern (may not be ideal for good FE)

2nd Gear - 20-40Kmph
3rd: 40-60Kmph
4th:60-80Kmph
5th: 80 upwards
Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
You would be seriously straining the engine at these shift patterns- low RPM can be more harmful for an engine than high RPM, esp in petrols.

the ideal shift pattern is when the engine is in the meat of its torque curve. As per my experience, for the SX4 (non VVT), upshifting between 2.5 to 3 k gives the best mix of good performance along with decent FE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
I generally upshift in the 2500-3500 rpm range & sometimes take her up till 5500 rpm, the torque delivery post 2000 rpm is simply amazing. ...mine's a non VVT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwalker View Post
Hmm VVT power surge starts from 1900-2000 rpm, also the gearing ratios are different (a little taller) so would need very different driving behaviour for the two.

If anyone can get the old/ new torque curves and gear ratios will be very handy for all!
Here's what I observed today - if you do the gear shifts as I'd mentioned above, you end up at 1000 rpm after every shift. That's obviously bad - although the engine still accelerates steadily. But, as Himanshu says, its likely to cause more harm in the long term. I'm gonna go with nurni's range and also try out upshifts @ 2500. Single RPM for all shifts is what I'm really gunning for, else its' too complicated for me .

A bit of a good news, I think I've found a good seating position - its' really low set, which means the back portion is below the front part of the seat by a inch or so, and the steering is set one notch above its' lowest. This gives me zero bonnet visibility, but the Indica background helps in this case. What this does is, my lower thigh touches the seat firmly and the arm touches the steering without any angle. Will be trying this for a few more days and give a verdict.

Tyvex around Borivali/Kandivali anyone?
Got a call from the sales executive regarding the tints, the cover is still not available, and he has said that MGA doesnt provide Tyvex. That being the case, I'm planning to buy the Tyvex cover asap, and I mean it with a bit of desperation. Only thing hindering it is my office schedule. Hence, if anyone knows a place close to where I live, it'd be ideal.

Cheers
Old 13th January 2010, 18:13   #38
BHPian

Congrats on the new SX4. Wishing you great miles ahead.

OT: I noticed that the Dday mentioned by you in your first post is 05Dec10, that is yet to come.
Old 13th January 2010, 18:21   #39
BHPian

Congrats on your SX4.

The only suggestion would be change those JK Vectras.Replace those with Michelin Primacy LC and you would feel on a different level with respect to handling and tyre noise.

Michelin Primacy is amazing
Old 13th January 2010, 22:20   #40
BHPian

Quote:

Tyvex around Borivali/Kandivali anyone?
Got a call from the sales executive regarding the tints, the cover is still not available, and he has said that MGA doesnt provide Tyvex. That being the case, I'm planning to buy the Tyvex cover asap, and I mean it with a bit of desperation. Only thing hindering it is my office schedule. Hence, if anyone knows a place close to where I live, it'd be ideal.

Cheers

I purchased the du-pont tyvek cover from my maruti dealer itself, Got it for Rs.: 1800/-, the existence of the cover is clearly mentioned in the accessories brochure of the SX4. Pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails
SX4 ZXi MT – 2010 – Nuevo Ownership Review-25062009001.jpg  

Old 13th January 2010, 23:09   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Congrats on the new SX4. Wishing you great miles ahead.

OT: I noticed that the Dday mentioned by you in your first post is 05Dec10, that is yet to come.
Thanks Buddy, never noticed it till you pointed out, for the record the D-Day should read 05-Jan-2010

Quote:
I purchased the du-pont tyvek cover from my maruti dealer itself, Got it for Rs.: 1800/-, the existence of the cover is clearly mentioned in the accessories brochure of the SX4. Pic attached.
Thanks Rahul, I'll make the dealer give me tyvek itself, funny they are claiming ignorance of its' existence.
Old 14th January 2010, 10:29   #42
BHPian

Quote:
+1, same cover same price from Pune dealer from whom I bought the car...
Old 14th January 2010, 12:41   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Here's what I observed today - if you do the gear shifts as I'd mentioned above, you end up at 1000 rpm after every shift. That's obviously bad - although the engine still accelerates steadily. But, as Himanshu says, its likely to cause more harm in the long term. I'm gonna go with nurni's range and also try out upshifts @ 2500. Single RPM for all shifts is what I'm really gunning for, else its' too complicated for me .
As per my shifting pattern, upshift happens around 2500 RPM
Old 14th January 2010, 12:53   #44
Senior - BHPian

For me upshift at 2000rpm is good enough and comfortable, in city.

My Pattern in City drive

2nd gear: 20-30Kmph
3rd gear: 30-40Kmph
4th gear:40-50Kmph
5th gear: 60 upwards
Old 14th January 2010, 21:48   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme View Post
...But, I am sure SX4 is equipped with day/night rear view mirror, which makes it ease for night driving. Or have I missed some thing? ...
Hey guys, I sincerely didnt know this- the day/night mirror is not made from some special glass or any coating rather night mode means the mirror points downwards, thus ensuring that glares dont distract.

The mirror itself is of no use in this mode whereas I'd thought a day/night mirror would have a layer or a coating that prevents light from being reflected excessively, while still being useful.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks