Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2010, 23:30   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
Hey guys, I sincerely didnt know this- the day/night mirror is not made from some special glass or any coating rather night mode means the mirror points downwards, thus ensuring that glares dont distract.

The mirror itself is of no use in this mode whereas I'd thought a day/night mirror would have a layer or a coating that prevents light from being reflected excessively, while still being useful.
Of course the mirror is useful in this mode. You can still see the lights of the cars behind you but are dimmed so that they dont distract. The trick is in the way the reflection happens.

Read this thread for more information:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...does-work.html

Sorry if I misunderstood what you are saying and you indeed know how it works.
Old 15th January 2010, 01:07   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
Of course the mirror is useful in this mode. You can still see the lights of the cars behind you but are dimmed so that they dont distract. The trick is in the way the reflection happens.

Read this thread for more information:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...does-work.html

Sorry if I misunderstood what you are saying and you indeed know how it works.
Yes, I had this completely bungled up. Apologies folks - I think I know exactly why those lights were shining so brightly on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway. I simply didnt RTFM!

Thanks shreeps, I'd posted this while in office, but when I experimented with it on my way home, I was baffled by the fact that it works wonders.

Here's my justification: my Indica had just one knob - the fog lights which I had installed separately, the gadgetry in my SX4 is overwhelming me at the moment.
Old 16th January 2010, 10:45   #48
BHPian

@fornax...gr8 write up. Even I was facing problem with the A-pillar in beginning.But now..after a month....it doesnt seem to b a problem nymore. Also..Could u mention how much u paid for teflon and undercoating. I have booked the rear spoiler...and the dealer says it will cost 5k.Ny1 has fitted it?

Last edited by ahmed26 : 16th January 2010 at 10:59.
Old 16th January 2010, 11:45   #49
BHPian

Thanks Ahmed. I have not done teflon, upon advice from fellow bhpians. As regards the undercoating, I'll wait till rains. Best time would be around May, that way I have a fresh undercoating to prevent any damage during rains. I don't know the pricing of rear-spoiler separately, the entire body kit was offered @ 22K to me.
Old 16th January 2010, 12:18   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
One really has to get used to it. The first time I encountered a IRVM with night adaptability was somewhere in the early 80s on an Audi. One has to have, as they say, an eye for the night view, since the tilted angle also shows the rear seat. If the rear seats are vacant, its better but if there are passengers, it can be a bit of a distraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed26 View Post
@fornax...gr8 write up. Even I was facing problem with the A-pillar in beginning.But now..after a month....it doesnt seem to b a problem nymore. Also..Could u mention how much u paid for teflon and undercoating. I have booked the rear spoiler...and the dealer says it will cost 5k.Ny1 has fitted it?
You sure you want the rear spoiler Ahmad? The SX4 has a particularly raised butt, and the spoiler would reduce rear visibility even further.
Old 18th January 2010, 11:28   #51
BHPian

Congragulations Fornax. Being a baleno owner, I swear you could never go wrong with Maruti. By the way, it would be great to see some interior pictures of your car.
Old 18th January 2010, 17:28   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivprasad View Post
You sure you want the rear spoiler Ahmad? The SX4 has a particularly raised butt, and the spoiler would reduce rear visibility even further.
Yeah, but the rear spoiler i intend to put doesnt increase the height much. The january edition of autocar has some full size photos with it and the difference in looks is very much.
Old 20th January 2010, 00:16   #53
BHPian

Minor Purchase: Got a body cover for 1190 - its' not a Tyvek, but the other one. I've also placed an order for a Tyvek cover, as I'll be needing the spare anyway. I got worked up when the MGA fella, as he refused to acknowledge the existence of Tyvek option. He started off with Yehi available hai Saar, but when I showed him the MGA site with the Tyvek option listed, he made some frantic calls and agreed to arrange it within a week.

I also checked the seat-covers options. Art-Leather seats are available as follows 4500-7500-10000. Thickness attributing to variable pricing.
Old 20th January 2010, 00:51   #54
BHPian

Interesting initial report. Only one caution, don't get too high with your driving skill on the 'clutch riding' prowess. It will wear out your clutch sooner (you wouldn't want it to slip,ever, would you?) and also cause your FE to suffer.
Old 20th January 2010, 21:58   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post
Interesting initial report. Only one caution, don't get too high with your driving skill on the 'clutch riding' prowess. It will wear out your clutch sooner (you wouldn't want it to slip,ever, would you?) and also cause your FE to suffer.
Would anyone be able to compare an Indica / Tata clutch-system to that of SX4 w.r.t its' durability and the sturdiness? In my Indica, I got the most reassuring feedback while 'clutch riding', but I've been advised twice now to desist from doing so.

OT: I saw a Swift DZire today going at about 30 kmph, and was making a screeching sound. When it passed me, I saw the reverse lights were on - meaning the driver had engaged the reverse while at a fair speed! Now, that's a clutch killer IMO.
Old 22nd January 2010, 20:53   #56
BHPian

Quote:
...OT: I saw a Swift DZire today going at about 30 kmph, and was making a screeching sound. When it passed me, I saw the reverse lights were on - meaning the driver had engaged the reverse while at a fair speed! Now, that's a clutch killer IMO.
Umm, not really, it won't kill the clutch but it would damage the transmission. In particular, the synchronizer for the reverse gear and its collar, and the gear itself . Please read and enhance your knowledge:
HowStuffWorks "How Manual Transmissions Work"
Old 22nd January 2010, 23:56   #57
BHPian

Booked for my first service on Monday, and will also be getting the tints then. Time for new seats is approaching real fast - and Stanleys are an obvious choice.

I enquired with Sai Service about a sun-roof, however they said Its' not recommended, as a few customers complained about water-leaks during rainy season.. Any thoughts on that?

I'll surely be posting some photos once the seats and tints are done, so watch this space for updates soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post
Umm, not really, it won't kill the clutch but it would damage the transmission. In particular, the synchronizer for the reverse gear and its collar, and the gear itself ...
That sounds worse than just a broken clutch.

Aveo has a mechanism to prevent accidental reverse, it requires you to lift a ring around the gear knob handle to engage the reverse. Looks quite useful - especially when the consequences can be as bad as mentioned above.
Old 27th January 2010, 23:09   #58
BHPian

Milestone: 1st Service Completed

Got my 1st service done today, cost me 1519 which included the mandatory oil + oil filter and a few bucks for wiper liquid shampoo.

Besides the oil change, there were suspension checks, topup checks etc performed. Checked out a few accessories, the door sill guard were quite enticing at 700 bucks but I resisted, however got a Black Poppy bottle anyway.

The funny part was when I left the service station my fuel indicator was almost close to end of it calibrations. On may way home, the indicator had started to venture below that last mark, and not wanting to test its' limits, I made it to the nearest fuel stop. Heres' the interesting part: she gulped down 43.90 litres of petrol, meaning she was good for atleast another 60 kms before going dry. Not that you wanna test that at any point, just good data to remember.

Got some quotes for 3M jobs - 800 for engine coat, 4500 each for underbody anti-rust and exterior paint protection. None planned in the near future.

Will update with some pics, once I get the seats and tints done.

Cheers.
Old 28th January 2010, 12:50   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Got my 1st service done today, cost me 1519 which included the mandatory oil + oil filter Cheers.
They charged me some 1720 odd for the same. Is there so much difference in oil price between mumbai and bangalore ?
Old 29th January 2010, 00:46   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
They charged me some 1720 odd for the same. Is there so much difference in oil price between mumbai and bangalore ?
Not sure DD, the VAT might differ from state-to-state. I think I paid about Rs. 168 VAT.

Update: Got sunfilms installed today - Garware Ice-cool Elite 50% on the sides and 70% in front+back. Overall, the price quoted was about 9K but free for me as it was part of the car purchase deal itself.

Also got door-sill protectors as I felt they were a necessity, and they look nice too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks