Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2010, 12:19   #1
BHPian

Got delivery of the Tata Nano!

Hi Guys

Finally I got the delivery of the Nano from Wasan Motors yesterday. Bought it from an allottee who did not want the car. Checked all papers and paid Wasan Motors who in turn refunded the amount to the allottee. He signed the transfer forms day and all formalities were completed.

The delivery went off smoothly. Took the PDI early evening and the car was fine. First thing , got the Wasan Motors stickers removed!

Francis D'souza , the sales guy at Wasan was very helpful in the buying and delivery process.

A few stain marks were there and I got them removed. Music system , mud flaps , carpets were bought from Wasan.

Why Nano?

Dad and I almost finalized on the Ritz. He just could not accept the fact that we had to pay around Rs 4.8 lakhs for a hatch and he suddenly started talking about the D'zire (LXI) as it was only Rs 50k more than the Ritz. (He prefers a shape of a sedan).

No ways I was going to let him buy the D'zire!

The next day he told me about his friend who has an allotment letter of the Nano and he did not want to take delivery. His point was since we had sold our Accent lets buy a Nano right now and later during the year buy a sedan. It made sense but I was a little hesitant as I had not sat in a Nano.

We went to Wasan to ask about the delivery schedules as it has been delayed by 1.5 months. Francis tells us why wait for our friends allotment (Jan end) when there are a couple of allottees who did not want the car. One of the cars was right there at the showroom and I sat on the front seat. I was shocked by the amount of leg room!

Then I went on the rear seat and that was a surprise too! I told my dad this feels bigger than the i10!!

He contacted the first allottee and she confirmed she did not want the car. Got the Pay Order made and then suddenly Francis receives a call from her that she has taken a loan for the car and she wanted Rs 20k (interest amount for loan closure) as premium! Just not worth it.

Francis called the second allottee and even he confirmed he did not want the car and had not even got it registered yet. He had not booked the car on a loan. Francis arranged for the meeting and we made the deal. As said earlier we paid Wasan and they in turn refunded the amount to him.

Initial Drive

The amount of leg room just stuns me every time I sit in the car. The drive was really good. Felt different as the engine is at the back and could not hear it at all. Just the perfect car for city driving. A tall boy so for my dad it is so easy getting in and out of the car.

Love the gear ratios. Third gear just seems to be like its an automatic!

Went for a drive at night with 3 passengers on the rear seat. No complaints from them and they were comfortable. Tejas pointed out that the rear seat would feel a little hard for longer drives so will be getting the seat covers soon.

Figured that the rubber on the left front window folds a little while taking the window down. Will get it rectified.

Drive is a little bumpy but cant complaint as its not too much. Tata is giving a complete car for this price!

Will keep you guys posted as I drive along!

Thanks for all the help as I did go through a few posts of the Nano on this site before we made up our minds to buy it
Old 6th January 2010, 12:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats @Jasher26. How bout some snaps! Drive safe!
Old 6th January 2010, 12:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your new Nano. The performance is just fantastic in the city. Easy to drive and easy to park. The first two gears are quite peppy. Do put up some pictures of your new car. Looking forward to updates on your ownership experience.

Drive safe.
Old 6th January 2010, 12:28   #4
BHPian

Congratulations on the acquisition. Pics Please!!!
Old 6th January 2010, 12:49   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats again Jaideep.

Some points that i noticed about the car:

- 1st gear, you need to release the clutch less and give more gas (as compared to other cars) or you will stall.

- leg room phenomenal

- three adults can sit comfortably in the back, BUT the rear bench is very hard and you will need aftermarket soft extra cushioned seat covers

- electricals seem good. Very loud horn and powerful headlights

- Tata blue by me bluetooth enabled deck echos to the other party

- don't try to accelerate any more in fourth gear. Even slight attempt to increase speed results in knocking from the engine. Third gear on the other hands is great and endless.

- the internal radio antenna placement is funny

- left side ORVM option should have been provided

- the internal RVM and the right side ORVM are very small and woefully inadequate

- general fit and finish is surprisingly good

- Air-conditioning is fabulous and out of the world.

Here's a pic of his car just prior to delivery:
Attached Images

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 6th January 2010 at 12:52. Reason: typo
Old 6th January 2010, 13:25   #6
BHPian

congrats for the new baby ! Drive safely
Old 6th January 2010, 13:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Dear Jaideep,

Congrats!!!

Drive safe....
Old 6th January 2010, 13:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats..
Which model is this? how much was the ex-showroom cost?
Old 6th January 2010, 14:01   #9
BHPian

Congratulations!
I spot a similar colored Nano in and around Chembur a lot of time, is it you?

The left rear view mirror can be fitted from T.A.S.S. I saw a yellow Nano with the left rear view mirror. The paint on the mirror didn't match the car perfectly though.
Old 6th January 2010, 14:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hey.. great buy. Its quite enticing to buy one I must say. What's the city mileage like?
Old 6th January 2010, 14:28   #11
BANNED

Congrats on buying the most iconic car today. Its probably the first Nano on TBHP. Enjoy the car and like the others have said, please post pictures and the accessories that you have put in it.

All the best once again.
Old 6th January 2010, 14:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Congrats..
Which model is this? how much was the ex-showroom cost?
On Road Mumbai : Rs 2,09,287/- LX (top end)

@ cartman : i stay at peddar road. maybe you would have seen the car with Wasan as it was lying in Chembur

@ tejas : agree with all the points. thanks a lot again!

pics of the inside coming soon. will try and put them up tonight

@csentil: just done about a 100 kms since yesterday (long drive last night)

tank capacity 15 litres. 12 went in yesterday after taking delivery.

I think it should do about 250 kms but then I will only confirm once I fill the tank again

Last edited by Dippy : 6th January 2010 at 14:42. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use the edit function if posting within 20 minutes of your earlier post.
Old 6th January 2010, 14:40   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The left rear view mirror can be fitted from T.A.S.S. I saw a yellow Nano with the left rear view mirror. The paint on the mirror didn't match the car perfectly though.
That's great news. We were planning to fabricate one.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 6th January 2010 at 14:44. Reason: typo
Old 6th January 2010, 15:00   #14
BHPian

@tejas : my ipod shuffle does not work as a usb (have the oldest model)
Old 6th January 2010, 15:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. The idea of checking our for Nano's like you did never went through my head. Lucky.

Love the red one and of course the JBL ones Hope you ICE it like JBL.

Most Viewed