Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2010, 22:08   #1
BHPian

Got our new car - 3rd-Gen Honda City

Hello All,

We just got the delivery of our ANHC white on 07/01/2010.

I had to book another car and quickly because our earlier one had got stolen. Other cars considered were as under. Since were were not in a fixed budget we considered cars ranging 5- 10 Lacs

Running is 1000 Kms or less so diesel was not required.

Requirements were basic - Should be able to seat 5 wellfed adults properly. Back seat comfort was important. More important was trouble free ownership experience. Having an engine immobiliser was a must.

I normally do not sell my cars quickly . I feel ideal time to consider selling a vehicle is after 6-7 years of good use .

The considered Vehicles

Dzire : Father did not like the seating position . We didnt even take a test drive of this one.

Indigo Manza : Did not want to touch tata after Indica experience.

Hyundai Verna : Back seat just a bit better than accent but not worth close to 8 lacs .

Fiat Linea : Service is again by Tata , and long term reliability ( in terms of parts failing through working life ) is not as good as Honda / Toyota .
I am not talking about build solidity . So fiat lovers dont bash me please. Once bitten by tata i would rather play safe.

Toyota : Would have loved to consider toyota cars but budget did not permit this.

Skoda : all cars OVer 10 lacs only and even it there would be one under , we would not have considered it seeing experiences of Harish and other fellow bhpians who have suffered with skoda ownership

GM Optra : Have had this in family before . Quite a trouble free car but didnt want to purchase something thats nearly End of Life. Optra back seats are better then ANHC though . By a good margin. Cruze does not have petrol and would again be out of budget.

Ford Fiesta : Nice car to drive . But back seat comfort better in ANHC .

SX4 : Good car . Enough room . However back seats are bumpy and sways on long drives. I have driven my inlaws sx4 from Mumbai 2 Goa and all back benchers puked on the way . :( . Some people like the tall seating but personally i Prefer the seating as low as possible . Even on the city i have kep the seat as low as it can go. sx4 would have been the 2nd choice if i had not bought city.

We also considered buying a pre owned corolla / HC automatic , but i have no experience buying 2nd hand cars. Saw a couple of cars too but didnt like them . I felt that many if not most people do not maintain cars as well as I like to.

That left us with new ANHC

Made the purchase from Solitaire Honda ( Mumbai )

Now had to choose between S MT ( Without alloys / fog lamps ) and VMT ( with the alloys / fog lamps )

At price difference of 50K i though i might as well as get an SMT . In this amount i can get an alloys as well as good leather seats like stanley or something for the car.

Did the booking on 25th Dec . Opted to not take a loan . I dont like EMI s too much . i decided to use an overdraft to pay off for purchase and have the same cleared within few months to 1 year . This reduces the interest outflow . As it is the interest rates these days are not as attractive as before ( 2004 times ) . Home mortgage is a different thing as it has its tax benefits.

I was promised delivery on 6th of Jan . Car was ready on same date but i choose to pick it up on 7th as advised by family.

PDI at dealer was smooth. Overall nice , but i did find that the car was a but more dirty then what i would have liked. Dont get me wrong on this . i do like stuff really clean . Made the person over there do the cleaning before logging out of the dealer showroom.

The Deal i got was Free Insurance + mats + teflon coat . Got Lumar sunfilm done at dealers end for 2.5k .
The car was about 110 Kms on ODO . I give the dealer benefit of doubt here since their Stockyard in Vasai itself is about 50 KMS from showroom and cars are driven from there .

Car Manufacture months is Nov 2009 . Verified it from the VIN thread . So its not very old stock being passed on.

Ironically i was getting more or less same deal at all Mumbai dealers Arya , LInkway . They are openly saying that there is a honda cartel now and noone is allowed to give more than others.

I verified this in Pune ( have address there as well ) , All pune dealers gave same deal . But purchased it in Mumbai since Free insurance was not in offer in Pune and this made it cheaper locally.

Now coming to the car itself.

Pros

1) Superb Engine
2) Sporty Gearbox ( THough our old accent had an equally good if not better gearbox )
3) Stock Music system very nice . ( dont miss cd player. USB is much more convenient way to handle music )
4) Seats 5 people very comfortably.
5) Engine immobiliser
6) Abs + Airbags is always good though i pray that that the 2nd feature is never used .
7) Good boot space for occasional outstation trips.

Cons / Wishlist

1) Ac seems weaker than my old car. Not that its bad. But Accent was chilling faster than this . I find this on all cars strangely. I feel even the civic / Optra take more time than accent to chill the cabin . But within few mins its comfortable.

2) Rear wheel disc brake . Most cars close to 10 lacs are All wheel disc brake . Though the rear drum brake does the job efficiently .

3) I wish it was LESS BEIGE . I dont know whats the craze with beige but in my opinion classic black looks better and is again cleaner to look at . Please have a look at the Malaysian honda city with black interiors . Wish that was available here.

4) Automatic Climate control would have been nice . But i can live without It.

5) Central Locking Feature - Lock the car when the engine is started and vice versa . Wish this was there in the city but i can live without this too.

6) Dashboard console light blue instead of Red . ( More civic like ) . Red colour does not look bad but i would prefer if it were blue as that would be more pleasing to the eye.

I found the interior quality ( now that its improved ) acceptible , though have to agree that Gen 2 ,City ZX feels just a bit better .But the interors seem that they will last alright ( as in not detiorate with time )

Addons

Honda guys are not encouraging tyre upgrade to an upgraded size as it may void the suspentions warranty . So i am not going to touch that ( for now atleast )
I would however put some alloys once i get the time ( and spare cash )

Parking sensor . I wonder how good are the ones that honda sells. Their quoted price is 7.5K and i am not sure what brand they are offering .

Good Stitched seat covers in pure black . Also black leather on door sides . The surface which has the cloth upholsery ( next to power window switch ). I feel this would be a must else that part will become dirty as time goes, because its fabric , beige and comes in contact with skin .

I am posting 2 pics here taken from my cell phone . Will be adding more pics shortly.
Attached Thumbnails
Got our new car - 3rd-Gen Honda City-anhc1.jpg  

Got our new car - 3rd-Gen Honda City-anhc2.jpg  

Old 9th January 2010, 22:54   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

wah wah subhanallah.

bau top che
Old 9th January 2010, 23:11   #3
BHPian

Congratulations Manish. The car looks beautiful. Welcome to the proud ANHC club and I wish you many many happy safe miles with her. For now enjoy the honeymoon.

PS: I have posted some feedback on the ANHC as well, in case you want to take a peek into.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ce-report.html
Old 9th January 2010, 23:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi Manish

Congratulations on your new Honda ANHC
wish you many years of troubleless driving (or being driven) experience

Jsut one question : What is the total interest burden on the overdraft facility ?, ofcourse i know that it depend son your history with the bank and the time period for which you would be availing the same.
a approximate number would do. thanks

Drive safe, have fun.
Old 9th January 2010, 23:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Great choice. Looks good in white too. One suggestion though, although I concede that beige is a pain to maintain (own a Corolla myself) putting black leather on the door panels will be a huge mismatch, atleast in my opinion. I've seen some Corolla's and '03 OHC's with black leather seats and black leather door panel, and I think the whole interior went for a toss. Anyway, it's your car so obviously it's your call If you like it that way, then totally go for it.
Old 9th January 2010, 23:33   #6
BHPian

Starvegabond - Interest on overdraft is between 10-12 % depending upon what is given a collateral ( security ) . Idea of using OD instead of a long term EMI is that is that it gets paid of faster thus reducing the cost of procurement of the asset.

Flyingspur - Will definately consider your advise . The door actually already has a bit of black . As you will see in an image i will post tomorrow. Alternatively i may do it in beige on the door and black on the seats . Fabric on doors has to go .
Old 10th January 2010, 06:13   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
Starvegabond - Interest on overdraft is between 10-12 % depending upon what is given a collateral ( security ) . Idea of using OD instead of a long term EMI is that is that it gets paid of faster thus reducing the cost of procurement of the asset.
I agree with you Manish on this. We had taken the Indigo in 2004 the same way, against OD facility. Another advantage is no hypothecation so you won't have to go back again to RTO to get hypothecation removed once loan is cleared, plus no hassle of the papers you got to submit for loan, etc.

Our bankers, Bank of India in Bandra charge us 2% difference against FD for OD, which is easier to clear off and before you even realise it, its over!
Old 10th January 2010, 10:23   #8
BHPian

Quote:

Requirements were basic - Should be able to seat 5 wellfed adultsproperly.
I liked that bit.
Old 10th January 2010, 11:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Flyingspur - Will definately consider your advise . The door actually already has a bit of black . As you will see in an image i will post tomorrow. Alternatively i may do it in beige on the door and black on the seats. Fabric on doors has to go.
I agree. Looks bad even on my Corolla. By the way, maybe you could consider beige leather for the whole job. Couple of advantages, firstly black heats up like crazy if the car's parked in the sun, and secondly the colour will be more suited to the rest of the interior colour scheme. Beige is a pain to maintain but if you're willing to get your interior detailed professionally - maybe even just once a year (costs Rs.1800) - then even your beige interiors will be spotless through the ownership period. Look up GTO's C220 thread to see how the interiors have been maintained spotlessly.
Old 10th January 2010, 11:37   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase. Looks nice in white. Post some pictures of interiors too.

How much is it OTR Mumbai? Any discounts offered?
Old 10th January 2010, 13:22   #11
BHPian

Manish,

Congrats !

Welcome on board ANHC family.

White looks Gorgeous though !

How much the alloys cost there ? Its 7 k per alloy here at the dealers.
Old 10th January 2010, 15:15   #12
BHPian

Congratulations on your new purchase!

Please post pics of interiors once you done with the leather seats.
Old 10th January 2010, 15:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
How much the alloys cost there ? Its 7 k per alloy here at the dealers.
Dealers always overcharge for alloys and other accessories, and although the multi-spoke ones offered by Honda are awesome to look at, 7k is just too much !! Totally not worth it IMO. For about 18-20k for a set of four 15", you could get some fantastic designs aftermarket.
Old 13th January 2010, 16:15   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Dealers always overcharge for alloys, 7k is just too much !! Totally not worth it IMO. For about 18-20k for a set of four 15", you could get some fantastic designs aftermarket.
Yep! you are on the spot.

I cant agree with you more. I did think in your lines & just dropped the idea.
Old 13th January 2010, 16:21   #15
Team-BHP Support

@manish:
Please do put the pics of the interiors up if the black leather is done. i think it would look quite stunning in a white ANHC - looking forward to the pics.

congrats. great buy overall. its a shame though that not only does honda under tyre the car but also has warranty issues if one undertakes even a sensible upgrade.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks