Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2011, 09:45   #271
BHPian

re: Chevrolet Cruze LTZ - Ownership Report EDIT: SOLD after 115000 km!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
I think those must be rear brake pads as they cost Rs 8000/- Front Brake Pads cost around Rs. 5000/- all inclusive(labour).
BTW any idea why the rear brakes are more expensive than the front?

Seems strange that the rear brakes have worn out faster than the front brakes in a front wheel drive car.
Old 28th July 2011, 14:03   #272
BHPian

Brake Pads

My Cruze has clocked 41000 kms. I just returned from a 1350KMS drive. The brake pads have worn out again as I can hear the screeching sound when I apply the brakes. The last time I replaced the front and rear brake pads was in August 2010 when the mileage was 21795.

After another 20000kms the brake pads have worn out. Will be leaving the car at Sundaram Motors for the brake pad replacement tomorrow.
Old 2nd August 2011, 17:44   #273
BHPian

Got back my Cruze from the Service Station just now after replacing the front and rear brake pads. Apart from this they have replaced rear brake discs as they said it has been eroded and required replacement.

Total cost Rs. 23,850/- (FBP Rs. 5500/- RBP Rs. 7500/- RBD Rs 7500/-) Rest is Labour and Taxes.

The service station has offered warranty on Brake DIsc for 6 months or 20000kms against any manufacturing defect and not general wear and tear.

Compared to last year the Brake Pads cost has gone up marginally.

After clocking 40000kms I have spent Rs 37,000/- just on the Brake Pads and Disc as I had to replace twice. Apart from this the regular service of Oil Change etc. which Costed another Rs. 20,000/-.

This will give an idea of the running cost of the Cruze for 40000kms. But it may vary from car to car as I feel due to my excessive Highway Driving I had to replace brake pads twice and Disc once in this span.

With great power and great style I feel greater expenses are complimentary!!
sameer sultan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:50   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got back my Cruze from the Service Station just now after replacing the front and rear brake pads. Apart from this they have replaced rear brake discs as they said it has been eroded and required replacement.

Total cost Rs. 23,850/- (FBP Rs. 5500/- RBP Rs. 7500/- RBD Rs 7500/-) Rest is Labour and Taxes.
Sameer. Congrats for clocking 41K kms. That's a whole bunch of money for the replacement of brake pads and discs. But, you keep saying that maybe because you drive a lot on highways, your pads wear off rather quickly.

But, logically when your on highway, the brake usage is not as heavy as in city driving. Maybe the intensity is higher but, frequency is lower. Dont you agree?

P.S: Would you like your thread title to be edited to reflect 41,000kms?
Old 3rd August 2011, 17:31   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Sameer. Congrats for clocking 41K kms. That's a whole bunch of money for the replacement of brake pads and discs. But, you keep saying that maybe because you drive a lot on highways, your pads wear off rather quickly.

But, logically when your on highway, the brake usage is not as heavy as in city driving. Maybe the intensity is higher but, frequency is lower. Dont you agree?

P.S: Would you like your thread title to be edited to reflect 41,000kms?
Thank you mobike008!

Though the Brake usage in Highways is lesser compared to City Driving, the intensity is much more and its total vigorous braking with the power of the Cruze. Due to this I feel the brake pads wear out fast. But I also feel the quality is not that good, that is the reason for me to replace twice in 40K run.

If the Cruze is doing only city then I am sure the brake pads will last for at least 25-30K Kms.

Yes please edit this Thread to 41000kms update!
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:00   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan

Thank you mobike008!

Though the Brake usage in Highways is lesser compared to City Driving, the intensity is much more and its total vigorous braking with the power of the Cruze. Due to this I feel the brake pads wear out fast. But I also feel the quality is not that good, that is the reason for me to replace twice in 40K run.

If the Cruze is doing only city then I am sure the brake pads will last for at least 25-30K Kms.

Yes please edit this Thread to 41000kms update!
Hey Sameer. Congrats on 41000 kms. That's a lot of mileage you've covered in very little time. How about a travelogue??
Old 3rd August 2011, 18:14   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mubeen View Post
Hey Sameer. Congrats on 41000 kms. That's a lot of mileage you've covered in very little time. How about a travelogue??
Thanks buddy! Travelogue will be on a different Thread. Need to work on it. In fact it will be a mixture of all my trips in the Cruze put together.
Old 5th August 2011, 19:08   #278
anb
BHPian

Quote:

My car's front brake pad was replaced at 18k and rear brake pad at 21K. Cost of FBP was 5000+taxes and rear brake pad was 6998+taxes.

Last edited by anb : 5th August 2011 at 19:17.
Old 5th August 2011, 19:23   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb
My car's front brake pad was replaced at 18k and rear brake pad at 21K. Cost of FBP was 5000+taxes and rear brake pad was 6998+taxes.
That's the same like my Cruze!!

You should be prepared for another round of brake pad replacements at around 41000kms. I was unlucky with the Rear Brake Disc.
Old 6th August 2011, 00:16   #280
Team-BHP Support

Sameer, I read this thread in one go and am really impressed by the diesel rocket.

I have a question though. It is apparent that Cruz isn't exactly on rails in high speed corners, but how does it feel below 140kmph? How does it feel over 150-160 kmph on a dead straight road, just like your erst-while Octavia?

Wishing you miles of happiness and you do rake some kilometers fast, envy your commute
Old 6th August 2011, 00:36   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel
Sameer, I read this thread in one go and am really impressed by the diesel rocket.

I have a question though. It is apparent that Cruz isn't exactly on rails in high speed corners, but how does it feel below 140kmph? How does it feel over 150-160 kmph on a dead straight road, just like your erst-while Octavia?

Wishing you miles of happiness and you do rake some kilometers fast, envy your commute
Thanks for those wishes mate!

Cornering is an issue in the Cruze in 3 digit speeds. Sharp turns in 120 itself can be tricky. This was the prime reason I upgraded the tires to 17" from the stock 16". In markets other than India stock is 17" for the Cruze.

Hence whenever there is a sharp turn I slow down as precaution which was not the case with Octavia.

In a straight road it's a completely different story as I have clocked 211kmph without a vobble. Cruze is planted to the road. But here also I would rate the Skoda higher than the Cruze for Road Grip and stability.

The European cars cannot be beaten in terms of stability on the road. They are built like a tank!

Stability in cornering of the Cruze is a question mark. How I would love if this diesel rocket engine is mated to a European built tank.
sameer sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2011, 02:08   #282
Senior - BHPian

Here's an question which you guys might answer. If i take the 3year Chevy care package, would the brake pad changes etc be covered ? While taking the test drive, the lady from Sundaram told me yes, but if thats the case, 45k is a steal for it right ?
Old 6th August 2011, 05:56   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123
Here's an question which you guys might answer. If i take the 3year Chevy care package, would the brake pad changes etc be covered ? While taking the test drive, the lady from Sundaram told me yes, but if thats the case, 45k is a steal for it right ?
Yes the chevy care package will cover all the maintenance cost and periodic service cost including Brake Pads oil change etc for 3 years.When I had picked up the Cruze in Dec 2009 this offer was not there. I would have definitely gone for it as my mileage is high. In about 3 years I would clock 75K Kms on the odo. Spending Rs 45k would have been worth it.

As for you I suggest you do the Math ie how many kms do you drive in a year? If your mileage (15k-20k/year) is high then it's advisable to go for the Maintenance package. If your running is like 10k kms a year then it's not worth spending Rs 45k up front as the regular service would not add up to Rs 45000/- in 3 years.

Basically the service/maintenance cost for my Cruze is working out to Rs. 1/- Per Km. So if you are going to cover 45000kms in 3 years go for it.

If you decide to take up the package I suggest you also read the fine print to check if there is any catch. Like if you change the stock fittings (tires/alloys) with after Market will this affect the package.

Keep us posted with your decision!
Old 7th August 2011, 14:52   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Yes the chevy care package will cover all the maintenance cost and periodic service cost including Brake Pads oil change etc for 3 years.When I had picked up the Cruze in Dec 2009 this offer was not there. I would have definitely gone for it as my mileage is high. In about 3 years I would clock 75K Kms on the odo. Spending Rs 45k would have been worth it.

As for you I suggest you do the Math ie how many kms do you drive in a year? If your mileage (15k-20k/year) is high then it's advisable to go for the Maintenance package. If your running is like 10k kms a year then it's not worth spending Rs 45k up front as the regular service would not add up to Rs 45000/- in 3 years.

Basically the service/maintenance cost for my Cruze is working out to Rs. 1/- Per Km. So if you are going to cover 45000kms in 3 years go for it.

If you decide to take up the package I suggest you also read the fine print to check if there is any catch. Like if you change the stock fittings (tires/alloys) with after Market will this affect the package.

Keep us posted with your decision!
I was told that the chevy car package is for 3 years or 45,000 kms whichever comes earlier by the people in Sundaram Motors.

But I wonder if the newer Cruzes have this problem with the brake pads. I drove my Elantra for 99,000 kms and never had to change my brake pads. Same goes for my Dad's Lancer which was driven 1,30,000 kms and my brothers NHC which was driven 1,10,000 kms.
Old 7th August 2011, 15:14   #285
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
But I wonder if the newer Cruzes have this problem with the brake pads. I drove my Elantra for 99,000 kms and never had to change my brake pads. Same goes for my Dad's Lancer which was driven 1,30,000 kms and my brothers NHC which was driven 1,10,000 kms.
Never changed brake pads? Were you not using the brakes at all.

I had a Corolla AT and had to change the brake pads every 20 K kms. The reason for this frequent brake bad change was that it is was an auto and the car was dependent on the brakes for stopping (no engine braking).

I am surprised that the Cruze is eating its brakes at 20 K. This definitely means low quality brake pads. Will performance brake pads help?

Last edited by MAS : 7th August 2011 at 15:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks