Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2011, 08:25   #316
BHPian

re: Chevrolet Cruze LTZ - Ownership Report EDIT: SOLD after 115000 km!

@darthvader: About the above stated problem, the others will be of better help.

But I wanted to request you to put up an ownership report or open you Bhp garage. Would absolutely love to see your black beauty!!
Old 18th September 2011, 13:51   #317
SAS
BHPian

@darthvader the metal is exposed with the scratch. The scratch has gone through the primer and all. You have two options (depending upon your budget and your preferences:
1. Go to the GM workshop and ask them to touch up the job. They may try to push you to do a full panel paint, but I'd suggest to avoid a full quarter panel respray and save the money. Such scratches are part and parcel of driving life.

2. Try a DIY yourself. The most important thing here is to cover the metal to prevent rusting than any asthetics. So first clean the area with rubbing compound / 1000 grit sandpaper (only go above the scratch and avoid more paint since both options are abrasive. You then can apply a primer with the help of a fine brush and then follow up with a coat of black paint. You should easily get 50ml pack of black paint which you can touch up. Please be very thin with the coats you apply. This option is more a DIY and the new paint shall definitely show (old paint v/s new) however it shall protect the body and prevent rusting, which is most important. You can probably go for a full respray later after a few years.
Old 18th September 2011, 16:22   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
@darthvader the metal is exposed with the scratch. The scratch has gone through the primer and all. You have two options (depending upon your budget and your preferences:
1. Go to the GM workshop and ask them to touch up the job. They may try to push you to do a full panel paint, but I'd suggest to avoid a full quarter panel respray and save the money. Such scratches are part and parcel of driving life.
What's a 'full panel paint' and what's a 'full quarter panel?

I am hesitant to do the DIY because its quite likely that we'll end up messing with the neighbouring areas.

However, since the metal is exposed and the car itself is frequently exposed to rain (which can be acidic), I think getting it done by the workshop will be a better idea even though they too may not be too eager to do it.

But most importantly, I want to know whether I can safely assume that the local GM workshop (there are actually two, owned by the 2 different dealers) folks will be competent enough to repair it and bring it to factory finish. And how much do you think this will cost?
Old 18th September 2011, 20:01   #319
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
What's a 'full panel paint' and what's a 'full quarter panel?

But most importantly, I want to know whether I can safely assume that the local GM workshop (there are actually two, owned by the 2 different dealers) folks will be competent enough to repair it and bring it to factory finish. And how much do you think this will cost?
Sorry, I meant painting the full quarter panel in both cases.

The folks would be competent at repairing and bringing it to factory finish, but for a "factory finish" they would ask you to go in for repainting the complete quarter panel rather than just touching up the affected areas. If you do go down that route, see which one has a better facility (paint booth, paint oven, etc.)

If you try a DIY, you could use a very fine brush like what you used in school for painting, that should avoid spreading to other areas. You will never get showroom finish in this case, however it won't burn a hole in your pocket by respraying the full quarter panel.

These type of accidents happen all too frequent, and while I wish you best, even the best of drivers get such scratches on their body because it's not always your fault, could be the other drivers too. Over the past few years, I've got several scratches, I've taken a judgemental call on what to go for a full panel paint and what to touchup with a DIY job
Old 18th September 2011, 23:53   #320
BHPian

@darthvader

I suggest you do the repair job from the Authorised Chevy Workshop in your city. These dealers are competent as some of the guys undergo training by the Chevy factory people on how to carry out jobs in specific models. So every dealer would have atleast have one expert for the Cruze.

As for the repair you should go for the full job instead of touch up. I m sure the dealer will insist on carrying out the panel replacement or removing the dent out portion and repainting the entire panel. The cost incurred will be high, you can claim insurance.
Old 21st September 2011, 16:27   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
@darthvader

I suggest you do the repair job from the Authorised Chevy Workshop in your city. These dealers are competent as some of the guys undergo training by the Chevy factory people on how to carry out jobs in specific models. So every dealer would have atleast have one expert for the Cruze.

As for the repair you should go for the full job instead of touch up. I m sure the dealer will insist on carrying out the panel replacement or removing the dent out portion and repainting the entire panel. The cost incurred will be high, you can claim insurance.
The reassurance check-up is due in about 6 days. The dealer did not seem very confident about what (if anything) could be done to fix this, but he did emphasize that I should not claim insurance for such things.

Why do you say I should go for the full job instead of a touch up though?
Old 21st September 2011, 16:29   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthvader

The reassurance check-up is due in about 6 days. The dealer did not seem very confident about what (if anything) could be done to fix this, but he did emphasize that I should not claim insurance for such things.

Why do you say I should go for the full job instead of a touch up though?
Just because the car is new and any patch up work will be evidently visible.
Old 3rd October 2011, 17:57   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Just because the car is new and any patch up work will be evidently visible.
Thanks Sameer and SAS. The workshop gave some inputs about how the scratches and dents could be fixed. They have assured us that the car can be restored to factory finish.

I also wanted to bring your attention to some mods I'm planning to install. I've started a thread for it -- right now its limited to camera (rear and front) and HID lamps. Would appreciate your inputs. Here's the link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2530317.
Old 9th October 2011, 01:22   #324
BHPian

Reading through the complete thread says that cruze maintenance cost is really high. I understand that when you want power & everything, then you've to ensure that you be prepared to maintain it ;-)

We might have to look at alternate options for brake pads, something from Red Rooster or somewhere, which can last long.. will that help.

Quote:
Yes you are right. I thought it is the keyless entry/exit sensor just because it keeps blinking after the doors are locked.
Sirji's, If I'm not wrong this is the rain sensor. I've seen the security sensor lights only on the doors . This is the common place for most of the cars.
Old 9th October 2011, 08:58   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail2vm View Post
Reading through the complete thread says that cruze maintenance cost is really high. I understand that when you want power & everything, then you've to ensure that you be prepared to maintain it ;-)

We might have to look at alternate options for brake pads, something from Red Rooster or somewhere, which can last long.. will that help.
Actually, the maintenance of cruze isn't all that expensive. It seems so because of the way our beloved sultan is crunching down the miles!! May be it is so because of the extensive highway driving. Checkout Avi's thread (Mobike008) and you'll see the cost of ownership at around 50ps/km. So it ain't all that bad. Only thing that might prove a bit expensive are the brake pads (not disks, they would wear well beyond 50k kms under normal usage)) and oil change. The brake pads i think will last 25k kms for the average joe who doesn't really go at 180+ speeds regularly. But who does that with a cruze ??

Anyway, my point is that Cruze is not that expensive to maintain for the kind of performance it offers.
Old 12th October 2011, 17:36   #326
BHPian

My Cruze under went 45000KM Service this past week. I had booked for service on Oct 6 2011. In the evening of October 5 2011 as I was driving I smelt a diesel leak. Immediately I stopped the car and opened the Bonnet to find out what happened I could see the engine was heating up badly and there was diesel spilling down from the hose. I tried calling the Chevy Cruze Customer Care No but there was no response as it was a holiday. I called up Sundaram Motors but no response. I did not have the 24 HR Break down no.

Now I called my cousin who is an expert in cars generally, he said if the engine is starting I can drive a short distance, as Sundaram Motors was just 1 KM away from where I had stopped the car(Lucky me). Hence i drove the Cruze slowly, but could see that the diesel was dropping at a fast pace. Reached Sundaram Motors only to find the gates locked and the security would not let me in as he did not have any rights to do so.

He asked me to contact the head security at the Honda Service gates. The head security called up Mr. Ramesh in the 24hrs Chevy Breakdown service. I explained to him the position, he then instructed the security to allow my Cruze inside the service station. He said to come next morning and make the Job Card.

I was informed next morning that the Hose Pipe which supplies diesel to the engine got damaged and needed replacement. They did not have stock and hence had to call in from the Factory at Halol. They promised delivery on the 11th of Oct.

Total cost of service including Engine Oil replacement and Hose replacement came up to Rs. 12,038/-.

Break Up:

Engine oil 6 liters Rs. 3500/-

Diesel Hose Rs. 3500/-

Interior 3M wash Rs 1700/-

Air Filter Oil Filter Rs. 1500/-

Labour Rs. 750/-

Rest were taxes and other car wash body wash charges.

I was plain lucky that the Hose got cut off near a service station, if this had happened in the Highway I would have been stranded.

It beats me still how this could have happened? The service engineer was not able to offer any convincing answer.

Would like to have inputs from fellow BHPians if such an issue can happen in cars such as Cruze. This hose pipe leak problem I use to hear when I was a Kid when we were using Ambi's.

Never happened to me in the Octavia or Fiats UNO/Linea.
Old 12th October 2011, 23:50   #327
BHPian

There is some function being organized by Sundaram Motors on 15th and 16th at their Chennai showroom for Cruze owners and friends and families. One can drop in anytime between 9:30am to 5pm on either day. Just sharing this info here in the hope of meeting other TBHP members.
Old 13th October 2011, 12:29   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
There is some function being organized by Sundaram Motors on 15th and 16th at their Chennai showroom for Cruze owners and friends and families. One can drop in anytime between 9:30am to 5pm on either day. Just sharing this info here in the hope of meeting other TBHP members.
I can make it on Sunday around 330pm. If others can confirm here it will be good.
Old 14th October 2011, 23:39   #329
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail2vm View Post
My 25000 Km service cost me around 15K.I paid 9800+1000 for driver side rear view mirror(LTZ model) and for it's painting. Around 4000 for the regular service.
Old 15th October 2011, 08:28   #330
BHPian

Congrats for a gem of a car. It certainly looks great in this colour. As regards the paint job, i suggest you get it done from an authorized workshop and avoid touchup as it will certainly spoil the looks of a new car. had it been a 2-3 year old car, you could have gone ahead with the touch up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks