Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2010, 11:23   #31
BHPian

Congrats Avi. You'll enjoy the thrust of the VTEC...

Keep revving....

VTEC_ROCKS Indeed...
Old 4th February 2010, 11:48   #32
BHPian

@GTO: Thanks, I am going to give him a call shortly and head to his garage this saturday itself, probably on my way back from our meeting.

@KSM-Vtec,@the_VTEC_guy,@VTEC_Rocks: Thanks guys!! :-)

@KSM-Vtec: Would love to have a look at your machine in flesh! Have seen it only on the forum.
Old 4th February 2010, 11:56   #33
Senior - BHPian

Vtec Rocks for sure and here is the proof...D it finds a place in your heart and your name...congrats once again!!!

@ avinash - Sure anytime!!! We(TBHP Guys) are on carter road most wkends.

Realization of a dream - Living with my VTEC-untitled.jpg

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 4th February 2010 at 11:59.
Old 4th February 2010, 12:40   #34
BHPian

Ohh..I missed out on putting a 'vtec' in my tbhp handle :-).

Great! Will try and be there if you guys are meeting up this weekend. Actually, Dippy did mention this but I never knew since I haven't been there.
Old 4th February 2010, 14:10   #35
BHPian

@Avinash m:
Plain lucky dude, just cut it in the nick of time, just plain lucky. Had been looking for a good second hand driver's car, preferably an OHC and VTEC. After joining TBHP only recently, it took me some time to see the classified section. Then one day I saw this ad for a VTEC OHC and saw the seller was GTO and almost stuck my face to the monitor. Boy was I excited...then I saw the red letters 'SOLD'....rats rats rats. Have always been wondering who the purchaser was. Congrats to you, happy revving...sighhh!
Old 4th February 2010, 19:01   #36
BHPian

@Delta_Wing:
Thanks dude! Believe it or not, it was the same with me, when I saw it on the classifieds, in Dec09. You know how it's like, when something you've longed for so much suddenly becomes a reality!! Before the deal went through, I visited that ad atleast 10-15 times a day, hoping it'll still be there! No wonder, it had the highest number of hits in the classifieds section. Owning a VTEC was a dream, and GTO's was a dream coming true...big time!!!

Cheers!!
Old 28th February 2010, 17:15   #37
BHPian

Dyno Test

Guys, took the VTEC for a DYNO yesterday. Thanks to Dippy, Rehaan and GTO for arranging this!!

Had a little scare on my way when the car started heating up abnormally. Usually the temp needle stays just below the half mark, but yesterday (was pretty warm as well) it started creeping up all of a sudden! The AC was on and I'd hit some heavy traffic on the way. When the needle crept upto the 60% mark (approx) , switched off the AC and stopped the car by the roadside. Opened the hood and had a look at the coolant reservoir and it was @ MAX! (reservoir was off it's mounting though). Drove off without the AC sweating like a pig! The needle came back to it's normal position and stayed there this time. Caught up with Dippy on the way and we waited together for Rehaan to join us. After he came, on our way to the test centre the car seemed fine with the AC on this time, though it was a short drive with hardly any traffic.

Anyways (sorry for going a bit OT here) coming to the test itself, attaching some pics and a youtube link of the same.

Per the dyno the max output came out to be 106bhp@the wheels.

Rehaan, Dippy: Request you guys to update the thread with your pics, info and the dyno graph (if you have received it).

Attached Thumbnails
Realization of a dream - Living with my VTEC-me_dippy_1.jpg  

Realization of a dream - Living with my VTEC-me_dippy_2.jpg  

Realization of a dream - Living with my VTEC-strapped.jpg  

Realization of a dream - Living with my VTEC-strapped_up.jpg  

Realization of a dream - Living with my VTEC-all_set.jpg  

Realization of a dream - Living with my VTEC-front.jpg  

Old 28th February 2010, 17:22   #38
BHPian

My apologies for leaving out the man himself - Thanks a lot Karan!

For those who might not know, he owns the only dyno testing facility (correct me if I am wrong here) in Mumbai.

Cheers,
Avinash
Old 28th February 2010, 17:30   #39
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Per the dyno the max output came out to be 106bhp@the wheels.
I knew it! I just knew it!! 106 at the wheels means the car is making a healthy 115 - 120 BHP at the crank. That not only shows the beauty of Honda engines and the way that they are built, but also the effect of frequent Mobil 1 oil changes. Believe me, I've had more than my share of high-revving in the Vtec. This engine is better than new. Thanks to Psycho for the Greddy headers...they are without doubt playing their part here.

Look at the way that engine revvs...I watched the vid like 5 times. Show me ANY other engine under 10 lakh rupees that revvs like this Honda engine does. 106 BHP at the wheels @ 75,000 kms....Jeezuz!! Good show, guys.

Lets wait for the complete dyno report from Rehaan & Dippy. Then we'll discuss the dyno at length. The graph from KS Motorsports is awaited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
The AC was on and I'd hit some heavy traffic on the way. When the needle crept upto the 60% mark (approx) , switched off the AC and stopped the car by the roadside.
The last time this happened, it was because of a rat chewing through the wires. Get it checked up ASAP. It's most probably the wiring, or the cooling fan, that needs a look into. Do NOT drive with the engine overheating. It's a jewel of an engine and overheating its cancer.

Last edited by GTO : 28th February 2010 at 17:35.
Old 28th February 2010, 20:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

that's a k&n extreme. none of the original horses has escaped. credit goes to mobil..
Old 1st March 2010, 13:56   #41
Senior - BHPian

hey thats a good one!!! check if there is coolant in the radiator. Sometimes if the flow is not right it dosent pull coolant from the reservoir and the radiator goes dry.
Old 1st March 2010, 19:58   #42
Senior - BHPian

106bhp at the wheels after 75000 kms is really impressive, thats def around 120 at the crank. No wonder these cars go like rockets.

BTW, what mods does this car have apart from, filter and exhaust system?

Shan2nu
Old 1st March 2010, 22:46   #43
BHPian

Awesome. As per Asian Civic 1.8S Power, stock Civic R18A with 5AT delivers almost 110ps at the wheels.
Old 2nd March 2010, 00:46   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I knew it! I just knew it!! 106 at the wheels means the car is making a healthy 115 - 120 BHP at the crank. That not only shows the beauty of Honda engines and the way that they are built, but also the effect of frequent Mobil 1 oil changes. Believe me, I've had more than my share of high-revving in the Vtec. This engine is better than new. Thanks to Psycho for the Greddy headers...they are without doubt playing their part here.

Look at the way that engine revvs...I watched the vid like 5 times. Show me ANY other engine under 10 lakh rupees that revvs like this Honda engine does. 106 BHP at the wheels @ 75,000 kms....Jeezuz!! Good show, guys.

Lets wait for the complete dyno report from Rehaan & Dippy. Then we'll discuss the dyno at length. The graph from KS Motorsports is awaited.

The last time this happened, it was because of a rat chewing through the wires. Get it checked up ASAP. It's most probably the wiring, or the cooling fan, that needs a look into. Do NOT drive with the engine overheating. It's a jewel of an engine and overheating its cancer.

GTO: Thanks, I am still a novice trying to learn this awesome piece of automobile! Although I've rarely high-revved the engine but it certainly felt good to know what she's capable of!

Coming to the overheating issue, did have a good look into the engine bay after I came back home, but couldn't see anything of the sort you've mentioned. Infact, have been driving around the city (with an eye on it) without any issues over the last couple of days, since the test day. Will wait for another occurance and then get it checked.

Avinash
Old 2nd March 2010, 01:01   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
hey thats a good one!!! check if there is coolant in the radiator. Sometimes if the flow is not right it dosent pull coolant from the reservoir and the radiator goes dry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
106bhp at the wheels after 75000 kms is really impressive, thats def around 120 at the crank. No wonder these cars go like rockets.

BTW, what mods does this car have apart from, filter and exhaust system?

Shan2nu
@KSM-Vtec: The coolant is at MAX (had got it topped up in the last service). Linkway had just told me that it wasn't OE Honda coolant (not sure how they found that out, they didn't tell me). Strange as it may sound, I just fiddled with the reservoir and it hasn't recurred in the last couple of days of normal driving around the city (since the test day).

@Shan2nu: Nothing more than the ones you've mentioned (filter and exhaust). Not sure if using Mobil1 plays a part in this (in bumping up the power), I guess not, but experts can comment?!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks