Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 12:53   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Tell me this isn't true, Avinash. You know how I much I screened the market before choosing them? Those wheels really make (now made?) the car.
i remember reading on the dyno thread too that he was looking for a downgrade.
Old 8th April 2010, 15:04   #62
BHPian

No he hasn't changed them they are still there.
@karizma_devil you may have seen some other OHC Vtec.
Old 8th April 2010, 15:54   #63
BHPian

Hopefully ... I couldnot see the rear or else i would have checked for the TBHP sticker.

Though if my memory serves me right I saw a simillar colour OHC with black rims parked infront of City bank near CST. ( MH 04 BXXXXX - dnt remember the rest).
Old 10th April 2010, 11:50   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma_devil View Post
Avinash i gusss i have seen this car paked sans the alloys some where in fort area ??
I live in Goregaon, hardly go down there. The color might have been similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Tell me this isn't true, Avinash. You know how I much I screened the market before choosing them? Those wheels really make (now made?) the car.
Ofcourse not GTO, they are very much there! But yes, I do plan to change them when the present set is worn out and, only if I find a comparable set of 15 inchers.
Old 11th April 2010, 16:13   #65
BHPian

Rude Shock!

Today morning I noticed the left rear deflated partially. Not being sure of a professional tyre repair shop (handling tubeless tyres) nearby my place (goregaon) I went around looking for one who could fix it.

A local (roadside) shop, 5 mins from my place, said he could. To make sure, I pointed it to him that he didn't have the regular tyre remover machine at his place, to which he says - "tubeless tyre waise repair nahi hota sahab. Tyre ko rim se nahi nikalunga, wo upar se hi repair hoga". Still not convinced though (but atleast he won't damage the rim trying to remove the tyre), I got him to my place to have a look. The guy removes the tyre and immedietly points to a nail on the surface. We go back to the shop, with the tyre. Upon careful inspection, he notices few more cuts and upon groping it with a screw-driver comes the real shock! 3 pieces of broken glass, a nail and a screw all deeply embedded into the surface at different places on the groove surface . The guy removes them one by one groping more and pulling them out with a plier, making the holes bigger than they actually were. I am almost about to question his ways when out comes a tyre repair kit (some brand named OMNI) but clearly mentions 'Tubeless tyre repair kit'. The guy uses a pointed tool (almost like a screw-driver) to broaden the holes a bit and then uses another to insert a wood-like, sticky looking substance, about 8-10 mm long by applying a transparent glue to it. 10 mins pass and all the 5 holes are plugged in the same way. Tyre's inflated and checked for further leaks, looks good

We come back to my place with the tyre and get it on the car. Looks good! I ask him the price and he confidently asks for Rs 750/- . Rs 150/- for fixing each puncture. I bargained and paid him Rs 600/- and came back.

Have the following queries:

1) Is the price justified?!
2) How safe is it now to drive with the same tyre?!
3) Do I need to take any precautions wrt speed/load/tyre pressure?

Experts please comment.

Last edited by GTO : 12th April 2010 at 13:02. Reason: Strictly no more than 2 smilies per post please. Read our rules!
Old 11th April 2010, 16:30   #66
Senior - BHPian

In Hubli they take around 70-80 bucks to repair each puncture. In Blore i rem paying 100 bucks.

But the if the job is done well, you wont notice any issues with the tyre. Almost all the tyres on our innova have atleast 1 repaired puncture, but they have held up really well, even at high cruising speeds.

Shan2nu
Old 11th April 2010, 18:16   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
In Hubli they take around 70-80 bucks to repair each puncture. In Blore i rem paying 100 bucks.

But the if the job is done well, you wont notice any issues with the tyre. Almost all the tyres on our innova have atleast 1 repaired puncture, but they have held up really well, even at high cruising speeds.
Thanks Shan2nu. Will have a clear picture in the days to come. Let's see.
Old 12th April 2010, 13:02   #68
BHPian

Tubless tire puncture repair kits are available all over the market. It is almost a DIY job,( we have a thread on our forum with detail pictures and steps to go about - excellend write up).

I have repaied my tubless tire for about Rs.100 in mumbai about 6 months back, no issues with that tyre yet !
Old 29th April 2010, 10:18   #69
BHPian

Clutch Overhaul!

737xx kms and the original clutch still had life left in it! It wasn't slipping though, only jerked (which could also be controlled) and had become quite tight. Made up my mind and started making some calls and posts to get quotations and info of the whole setup.

Armed with the requisite info, landed at opera house area one day and began looking. First stop City Motor, who denied having spares for OHCs. They referred someone who didn't have it as well, also coz I was looking for specific brand only. After checking out some more references and with the heat notwithstanding, finally landed at Shetty Motors who'd the whole setup with them. The list included

1) Clutch Plate (Exedy, also known as Daikin)
2) Pressure Plate (Exedy, also known as Daikin)
3) Clutch Cable (HONDA)
4) Release Bearing (NSK)
5) 2Ltrs X-mission Oil (Castrol)

After a 5-hour installation job the VTEC was ready. The change was immedietly apparent! Pedal feel is almost as good as new and there's no jerking when driving hard. Thanks Dippy for referring me to a good garage nearby to get the work done.

Some hiccups - First was the X-mission oil which actually turned out to be power steering oil. Even though the box mentioned 'for synchromesh gear box and power steering' the mechanic was just not convinced with the viscocity. Had to buy another 2 Ltrs of Agip 80W-90 gear oil.
Second was the radiator fan conking off. Apparently the fan motor mounting has developed play and is not working. Have to get it replaced.

Experts, any idea how much would the fan assembly be for and which brand!?

Some random pics:

Mods: Please change the thread title to 'Living with my VTEC'
Attached Thumbnails
Realization of a dream - Living with my VTEC-img_1862.jpg  

Realization of a dream - Living with my VTEC-img_1864.jpg  

Realization of a dream - Living with my VTEC-img_1868.jpg  

Realization of a dream - Living with my VTEC-img_1866.jpg  

Old 30th April 2010, 14:49   #70
Senior - BHPian

Great job Avinash!!! so what was the total cost involved?? If you dont mind.
Old 30th April 2010, 15:16   #71
Senior - BHPian

How much the entire clutch replacements costs? Is there any life time (kms) for AC Compressor?

I too got a used low mileage beauty, but its clocking kms and getting oldie everyday...me too nearing that stage

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
Had a little scare on my way when the car started heating up abnormally. Usually the temp needle stays just below the half mark, but yesterday (was pretty warm as well) it started creeping up all of a sudden! The AC was on and I'd hit some heavy traffic on the way. When the needle crept upto the 60% mark (approx) , switched off the AC and stopped the car by the roadside.
Did this problem got solved?
Old 30th April 2010, 18:12   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Great job Avinash!!! so what was the total cost involved?? If you dont mind.
Ofcourse not! Total cost including the labour was just below 9K, bit on the higher side! Actually, it could have been less had I not got the original Honda clutch cable (Rs 1700/), the older one was just fine. Also, had to buy gear oil separately again as the Castrol's were actually for the power steering!

Btw, saw you posting after a long time!! Had PMed you earlier regarding this. Anyways, welcome back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
How much the entire clutch replacements costs? Is there any life time (kms) for AC Compressor?

I too got a used low mileage beauty, but its clocking kms and getting oldie everyday...me too nearing that stage

Did this problem got solved?
@Surprise: Clutch replacement cost is mentioned above. Not sure about the compressor life
Regarding the overheating, the radiator fan has conked off. Got a new one (not original but some taiwainese brand) from Shetty motors (again) today. Will be leaving shortly to get it fixed. Could not get hold of the original as it wasn't available and is expensive as well. Will be driving in the hot sun this weekend, to see if it's good enough. Fingers X-ed!!
Old 30th April 2010, 22:55   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Total cost including the labour was just below 9K, bit on the higher side! ..........
Regarding the overheating, the radiator fan has conked off. Got a new one (not original but some taiwainese brand) from Shetty motors (again) today. Will be leaving shortly to get it fixed. Could not get hold of the original as it wasn't available and is expensive as well. Will be driving in the hot sun this weekend, to see if it's good enough. Fingers X-ed!!
Entire clutch replacement costs Rs.9k...thought that would be around 6k. Not sure how much would be the costs for Baleno. Even mine is getting harder :(...is there anything called clutch overhauling (not lubrication of cables) where in that exercise making it bit softer

Disadvantages of high mileage cars. Though this well maintained by GTO certain parts will start to show up due to its age...
Old 1st May 2010, 23:27   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have the following queries:

1) Is the price justified?!
2) How safe is it now to drive with the same tyre?!
3) Do I need to take any precautions wrt speed/load/tyre pressure?

Experts please comment.
Tubeless tyre puncture repair takes Rs. 100/- per puncture, as against Rs. 30-40 for tube-types.

I have (without knowing) ridden on tubeless tyres which had nails (though not five) lodged in them for quite some weeks before they were detected, removed and the puncture filled. Never had to worry about the tyres.

I have always used tyres with stock specifications (and on stock, steel rims) and have stuck to the recommended tyre pressure and haven't had any problem with tubeless tyres even after punctures.

Since you have had about five punctures taken off the tyre at the same time, I would suggest swapping it with the spare tyre.
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:44   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ofcourse not! Total cost including the labour was just below 9K, bit on the higher side! Actually, it could have been less had I not got the original Honda clutch cable (Rs 1700/), the older one was just fine. Also, had to buy gear oil separately again as the Castrol's were actually for the power steering!

Btw, saw you posting after a long time!! Had PMed you earlier regarding this. Anyways, welcome back!
Thanx avinash for the input.

Well i saw your pm very late and couldn't help, sorry about that.

Actually i was on a long road trip (9k kms)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks