Team-BHP - Realization of a dream - Living with my VTEC
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Realization of a dream - Living with my VTEC (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/73973-realization-dream-living-my-vtec.html)

After browsing a non member for almost 3 years, my eyes suddenly lit up one fine day (in Dec 2009) when I was looking at the classifieds section, saw an OHC VTEC up for sale. I'd fallen in love with an OHC ever since I drove my brother's car (a 1.5 EXI). However, that love affair didn't last long as I gradually grew an affinity towards the OHC VTEC, thanks to all the threads/posts on t-bhp dedicated to discussions on this fascinating piece of automobile.

28 Dec 2009

Called up the contact (Owner's friend) provided on the ad (the day before) and fixed up a meeting. I still recall the very first question I'd asked was if the quoted price was negotiable as it was pretty steep in IMO. I already 'knew the car' beforehand. Went for a test-drive rehearsing all t-bhp teaching such as- 'Being as stone-faced as possible even if you like what you see, helps in the bargain'. Drove it and instantly fell in love with it!! I still remember the owner sitting by my side, holding my hand on the gear lever, stopping me from upshifting early and urging me to take it to 4500 rpm!! Came back after a brief drive and tried playing the typical 'hard-nosed' buyer, all the while trying to contain my excitement of having driven 'his' car. Finally the discussion on the price started but did not have a conclusive end as the price I'd quoted wasn't appreciated by the 'owner', justifiably as he'd put in so much into keeping the car the way it was. I didn't loose hope though.

I was always a VTEC dreamer but this drive had made me go literally nuts!! I was getting pretty restless as the 'owner' had not responded to my offer. I was almost on the verge of accosting VTEC owners on the road and check with them if they were planning to sell their's anytime! Talk about going nuts!!
Meanwhile test-drove another available at a second hand dealer but it wasn't as good as the first.

12-Jan-2010

I could not bear it anymore! Enough of the hard-nosed buyer stuff that I kept rehearsing. Called up the 'owner' and poured my heart out and revised my offer which was still a far cry to what he'd quoted as his final, but crucially I'd bettered my previous. He invited me for another drive, to discuss this in person and finalize the deal.

14-Jan-2010

I went to his office with a friend of mine and went out for a spin again with the owner's 'friend'. This time I took it to 6000 rpm, thanks to some open road. 'Friend' tells me 'this is a pretty famous stretch of road where you'd find people testing their car's limits'. We comeback to the office and met the owner again. Discussed about the maintainance schedule of the car and a few queries of mine including the pending work on the car. 'Owner' shows me the complete service schedule that he maintains on his laptop and is willing to share it with me!! After the Q/A session, we haggle on the final price for a while,over a sutta, and voila-the deal is done!!clap:

Fellow bhpians, I am Avinash, 28 yrs of age, working as a software engineer in Mumbai and this is my story. The VTEC 'Owner' in quetion is our very own GTO and the owner's 'friend' is Dippy. It'll be very hard for me to put in words sense of honour and camaraderie I have felt interacting with them, people who share the same passion as mine! I feel pretty lucky to have bagged this deal as it was a secret desire of mine to own GTO's VTEC as my first car ever since I read about it and saw it on the threads! Guys, thanks a ton for making this happen!! I would also like to thank my wife, for being so patient (with my madness) and my elder brother (also on t-bhp) with whom I have shared this passion since childhood.

18-Jan-2010

Took delivery in the afternoon today with some friends of mine at GTO's office. After the customary paperwork, helped by Dippy, GTO gave me all the requisite stuff (duplicate keys, remote, owner's manual, service history etc) including a complete set of T-bhp stickers! We finally went down to the car and took the following snaps before driving off.

Regards,
Avinash

Hi Avinash

Nice to see you finally posting on the forum. You seem to be already enjoying the Vtec. Do keep updating this thread on your ownership experience. Good to see that the Vtec is still around in the Team BHP family. Have fun and take good care of her.

Congrats BHAI

Honda returns to our family.
and just not any Honda, but "THE HONDA", with just the right condition and the required mods about which we always discussed.

Wear your seat belt and enjoy the revs.

Brother

Avinash, congrats on the car. I have seen GTO's VTEC quite often near his office, and it has always been in superb condition, without any strange noises.
I believe the road in question is Marine Drive or Worli?
Anyways, hope to see updates soon!

Congrats on getting my once dream car. I knew you were talking about GTO's car the moment I started reading your post. Good Luck with the car. :)

Congrats Avinash on the OHC.

@ GTO: Would love to hear your side of the story.

IMHO, this is the best maintained OHC I have ever seen. The color choice is also damn good. Congrats Avinash, I am sure you will enjoy the next few (or many) years with this beauty :)

@ lambo

I guess it's Marine Drive.

i saw the thread and thought may be its GTOs V-TEC which you bought! and opened and found actually it is:Shockked:

congratulations dude on NEW VTEC. Nice to see car remaining in bigger T-BHP family.

GTO,

where are u? how you felt when giving away V-tec! :(

any new cars planned in place of V-TEC, say i-VTEC or T-JET?

here is gtos version
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1688710-post187.html

@ avinash_m:
Congrats on fulfilling your dream!

Would be fun to know how GTO would have reacted to your stone-faced response & other team-bhp teachings that you would have used during this purchase.

Any specific reason that you chose this OHC VTEC over your friend's OHC VTEC that you had put up for sale in classifieds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by recshenoy (Post 1693183)
i saw the thread and thought may be its GTOs V-TEC which you bought! and opened and found actually it is:Shockked:

congratulations dude on NEW VTEC. Nice to see car remaining in bigger T-BHP family.

GTO,

where are u? how you felt when giving away V-tec! :(

any new cars planned in place of V-TEC, say i-VTEC or T-JET?

In the classifieds, he has stated that he might go in for a Civic :)

Congrats avinash.

You got your self a very very clean vtec! Do maintain her well.

hey congratz buddy..!
enjoy the VTECH and do post your experiance with it

Thanks a lot guys..!! Will be bringing up the updates soon as she is due for her yearly service. GTO has already given me pointers for the same..

@Dippy: Thanks for moving the thread..Looking forward for another chill session. :-)

Bhaiya: I somehow can't help but still recall the 1.5 OHC..Talk about being greedy..!!

@lamborghini: It's indeed Marine Drive, just after we drove off from GTO's office.

@recshenoy: Maybe I gave away too many hints in my story :-)

@Sukiwa: I did mention this to GTO and he'd a hearty laugh about it!! :-)
I could never drive the black VTEC (posted on the ad) as the owner was not in town.
By the time he was back I'd already finalised this one. But I shared a good rapport while interacting with him and he seemed to be a VTEC lover as well! Had it not been for his trip abroad, he would not have put it for sale.

Congrats Avinash on owning a great car. Have a nice time with it.