Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2010, 06:24   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sree70 View Post
congrats mubeen & welcome to hightwenty club!
I too own dark grey Asta model about 10months old & last month it crossed 8888 reading and now it is 10070kms.
I have really enjoyed every km ride on it (single driver). Its a wonderful car. only -ve aspect is ground clearence under 3/4 or full load.
Some pictures of my beauty! The last snap is at the time of delivery(15/03/2009)
Thanks for your wishes Sree. I am certainly crazy about my i20!!

Congrats on your Asta and nice pics those. I haven't had any ground clearance issues in my car even with 4 occupants. Guess the roads I drive on are not all that bad.

Drive safe and have fun!
Old 23rd January 2010, 10:25   #32
BHPian

Next up

Next on the to do list is to upgrade, up-size and accessorize. The first two relating to my bank account and bank balance and the third with regard to my i20!

The following are the accessories and mods I'm looking to specifically as in order as mentioned below:

1. Car security system - A complete no- brainer, this should have been accessorized the day I drove the car out of the showroom. However with my inane ability and infinite capacity to procrastinate this is still pending. My resolution this day is to fix a car security system before the start of the next week. The brand I have under consideration is Xenos. Their overall reviews have been good and their store is pretty close to home

2. Alloys - I just love the alloys that i20 is showing in their latest set of print ads. They have put up a pic of the same on their new site - Ubercool i20 Fan Club With my next service due in March which is little over a month from now, i'm going to wait it out in the hope that these alloys come into stock at either HMP or as an online booking option on the Hyundai site. I'm posting a pic of the screen shot from the ubertrooper site under the "customize my i20" tab. Would be nice if you guys could give me your opinions on this. Alternative suggestions are also welcome

Name:  untitled1.bmp
Views: 9749
Size:  609.1 KB

3. Ice - Have never been too much of a music enthusiast and I am certainly not an audiophile. That said, the OE music system serves the purpose very nicely. I have toyed with the idea of fixing a CD changer and a 6 CD changer is certainly under consideration. Need to research a few good brands and query if such an add-on to the OE in the i20 would be possible - Gurus?

4. Tyres - The tyres on my car are the Apollo OE. Have had no problems with these. However i am tempted to go in for tyres with smarter looking grooves. I would of course prefer the tyre size to be the same as the current OE tyres. The reason being that i'm planning an alloys upgrade first and tyre upgrade later (Read: Only when tyre change is due, which i believe is going to be around the 35000 km range) It would be a shame to let the alloys go for waste if I were to upsize the tyres unless of course I get a grand deal on them.

5. Sun Film - A big no no for me. I have never liked sun film in my car, even the lightest of shades! I find sun film to be an impediment to proper visibility. I just about manage to drive cars with sun film during the day while at night its akin to driving blind.

Last edited by Mubeen : 23rd January 2010 at 10:30.
Old 23rd January 2010, 10:47   #33
BHPian

P.S. The alloys shown in the pic in the previous post actually look a lot better in a photograph. The above pic is more like a drawing of sorts
Old 23rd January 2010, 10:50   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mubeen , please find my thoughts inline with your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mubeen View Post
Next up

Next on the to do list is to upgrade, up-size and accessorize. The first two relating to my bank account and bank balance and the third with regard to my i20!

The following are the accessories and mods I'm looking to specifically as in order as mentioned below:

1. Car security system - A complete no- brainer, ....... and their store is pretty close to home
Go in for it fast, its always better to be safe than feel sorry later

2. Alloys - I just love the alloys that i20 is showing in their latest set of print ads. .... Alternative suggestions are also welcome
While these alloys look good, I guess if you get this from Hyundai, the price would be exorbitant. Why not look at some after market pieces also ?

3. Ice - Have never been too much of a music enthusiast and I am certainly not an audiophile. That said, the OE music system serves the purpose very nicely. I have toyed with the idea of fixing a CD changer and a 6 CD changer is certainly under consideration. Need to research a few good brands and query if such an add-on to the OE in the i20 would be possible - Gurus?
Your call! But I find CDs superfluous when there is an ipod

4. Tyres - The tyres on my car are the Apollo OE. Have had no problems with these. However i am tempted to go in for tyres with smarter looking grooves. I would of course prefer the tyre size to be the same as the current OE tyres. The reason being that i'm planning an alloys upgrade first and tyre upgrade later (Read: Only when tyre change is due, which i believe is going to be around the 35000 km range) It would be a shame to let the alloys go for waste if I were to upsize the tyres unless of course I get a grand deal on them.
Go for tires based on your usage, looks should come second. By 'smarter looking grooves', I guess you mean the unidirectional/asymmetrical tires. Choose your tires based on the road you drive+how you drive.

5. Sun Film - A big no no for me. I have never liked sun film in my car, even the lightest of shades! I find sun film to be an impediment to proper visibility. I just about manage to drive cars with sun film during the day while at night its akin to driving blind.
You could always go for neutral color but heat resistant films. Though the cost should be higher than tinted films.
Old 23rd January 2010, 11:33   #35
BHPian

Hey Sid,

Thanks for the quick comeback. Appreciate it.

About the alloys, good point there. Forgot all about the pricing. Guess will have to do a lookout for after markets.

As for the CD changer and ipod the story is that the ipod is on loan and I'm going to have to return that soon. Sorry I forgot to mention that. With ipod gone I figured a CD changer would cost just as much as the ipod and less clutter too without the wires and all!

Agree with you on the tyres. I have a good 2 to 2.5 years to go before the next change for tyres come up. Will research the tyres gyan thread while i'm waiting!

While on that subject I see that you have changed your tyres too. A little insight into contributing factors while choosing your tyres would help.

P.S. Your alloys rock. They are sexy as hell!! is there a part number for the alloys? Those are gonna be what my alloys look like.
Old 23rd January 2010, 14:23   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Sid,

Thanks for the quick comeback. Appreciate it.

About the alloys, good point there. Forgot all about the pricing. Guess will have to do a lookout for after markets.

As for the CD changer and ipod the story is that the ipod is on loan and I'm going to have to return that soon. Sorry I forgot to mention that. With ipod gone I figured a CD changer would cost just as much as the ipod and less clutter too without the wires and all!

Agree with you on the tyres. I have a good 2 to 2.5 years to go before the next change for tyres come up. Will research the tyres gyan thread while i'm waiting!

While on that subject I see that you have changed your tyres too. A little insight into contributing factors while choosing your tyres would help.

P.S. Your alloys rock. They are sexy as hell!! is there a part number for the alloys? Those are gonna be what my alloys look like.
Before I got my car I researched and found out that 155/80 R13 tires are a big weakness of the i10 - so planned on getting rid of them immediately.
The tire & alloy thread suggested 185/60R14 as the best upgrade to 155/80R13, and that was further supported by research on carbibles.com
Initially had a talk with the tire and alloy dealer and finalized on 3-4 comfort tires (Yoko A drive, pirelli p6000(not sure about this), Michelin xm1+) and a few alloy designs.
On the day I got my car, I went straight to his depot and asked for A-drives - but he slid the Yoko ES 100 across the desk, saying that if you wanna drive fast and still stay planted on the road - this is the tire. Believed him and he was right, these tires rock!
good - higher straight line speed, improved braking, and late braking at corners.
bad - They make the car bounce if kept at 32 psi, so i prefer to keep the pressure a little low at 30 psi (as I am alone in the car 90% of the time). Also the tread pattern + softer compund is a stone eater (look in my thread pics on how much stone I dig out weekly from my tires)

On the alloys - The dealer fitted 1-2 shortlisted designs on the car and I chose the current ones. Plati was a known name, so no hiccups there either.
opted for 4 alloys+tires as the spare wheel well was 13" and unidirectional tires should not be kept as spares.

I have to look on the inside of the wheel tomorrow (when i wash my car) to let you know the part number, but the size is 14" x 6J .

So prioritize on your requirements (and yeah - sometimes go by what your heart says!) and go ahead with your tire + alloy decision.

And thanks for the complement!

Last edited by blackasta : 23rd January 2010 at 14:25.
Old 24th January 2010, 18:34   #37
BHPian

Today I finally moved my backside and got myself a xenos car security system. The model i picked up was fortgate.

After installation i have noticed 2 things

The first being that now when any door is open even the boot open warning light glows and vice versa. The guy who fixed the security system mentioned that it would now work in that manner only. If any other owners have had a similar or different experience please do let me know so that i can have this corrected.

The second and more worrying thing is that when i turn on my headlights the light of the MID in the center of the dash dims down pretty bad and the light in the instrument cluster goes completely blank, it just does not glow at all.

I had installed a bosch horn a couple of months back and a relay was also installed. At that time there was a slight dimming down of the light in the MID but the instrument cluster back light used to work fine!

What could be the issue here and what would be the solution? I would like to have some informed opinions before i head off to HMP tomorrow morning so that the HMP guys dont end up pulling a fast one on me. ( Not that they would, but its always better to go prepared )

P.S. No wires were cut in either installation of security system on horn.

help

Last edited by Mubeen : 24th January 2010 at 18:40.
Old 24th January 2010, 21:29   #38
BHPian

Congrats on the new car. The i20 is a nice car. Wishing you miles and more miles with the car. Do keep updating the thread as you go along.
Old 24th January 2010, 21:46   #39
BHPian

Quote:
The first being that now when any door is open even the boot open warning light glows and vice versa. The guy who fixed the security system mentioned that it would now work in that manner only. If any other owners have had a similar or different experience please do let me know so that i can have this corrected.

The second and more worrying thing is that when i turn on my headlights the light of the MID in the center of the dash dims down pretty bad and the light in the instrument cluster goes completely blank, it just does not glow at all.
Which warning light are you talking about ? The door ajar light in my i10 will light up even if one of the doors or the boot is open.

Why you did not consider Hyundai OE security systems ? They have some 3 or 4 options. Do you think something done by Xenos has messed up with the electricals ?

I suggest before you take to Hyundai, check it with Xenos once again.

I was told that installation of relays, security systems outside of hyundai will void the warranty on electricals.

HMP will easily point to the additional electrical work done by you and will not entertain warranty on the MID. Try checking with Xenos or a trustworthy local mechanic before you go to HMP.
Old 24th January 2010, 23:09   #40

The illumination control wires has been left unconnected. it will be solved by connecting them. Don't know where it connects but it is near to headlight level control. It is a connector having 3 wires and should be connected for inst cluster illumination.
Old 25th January 2010, 07:01   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
Which warning light are you talking about ? The door ajar light in my i10 will light up even if one of the doors or the boot is open.

Why you did not consider Hyundai OE security systems ? They have some 3 or 4 options. Do you think something done by Xenos has messed up with the electricals ?

I suggest before you take to Hyundai, check it with Xenos once again.

I was told that installation of relays, security systems outside of hyundai will void the warranty on electricals.

HMP will easily point to the additional electrical work done by you and will not entertain warranty on the MID. Try checking with Xenos or a trustworthy local mechanic before you go to HMP.

In the i20 this works a little different. The door ajar warning lamp glows only when the door is open and boot open lamp glows only when the boot is open

HMP had only one option. It really wasnt OE either. It was an autocop model, the same kind my dad has in his Ikon and not to my liking either!!

Xenos technician has rechecked it. Hyundai time now.

Seriously doubt that. As long as no wires are cut its all cool. Its a car, and a car is an individual statement of style and attitude. Customizations are ok as long as carried out within acceptable parameters. Besides a friend had the same issue and HMP fixed the problem in 10 mins. Something about a fuse left disconnected
Old 25th January 2010, 07:06   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.verma View Post

The illumination control wires has been left unconnected. it will be solved by connecting them. Don't know where it connects but it is near to headlight level control. It is a connector having 3 wires and should be connected for inst cluster illumination.
Thats something i've had my suspicions on as well. The Xenos guy did dismantle a couple of connectors and the last one to connect before closing the panel would be the illumination control wires. Guess he's missed that out in haste. Will have it checked by HMP today and update.

Thanks for your pointer. Makes me feel re-assured already. As for the door ajar and boot open warning lamp, will make the HMP guys take a re-look at the wiring done during the second free service coming up in March.
Old 25th January 2010, 14:09   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.verma View Post

Hey Verma, you were spot on with your assessment on cause of backlight not working. It took the service executive all of 30 seconds to fix the issue!

You are the man!!!

Last edited by Mubeen : 25th January 2010 at 14:21.
Old 25th January 2010, 14:36   #44
BHPian

What about the door ajar and boot open glow light? Is it working as it was when you bought the car?
Old 25th January 2010, 15:04   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
What about the door ajar and boot open glow light? Is it working as it was when you bought the car?
No Sameer. It isn't. That's going to have to wait until March. Even if it doesn't work out due to limitation in the security panel it's cool.

Don't really see much of a hassle in this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks