Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 23:17   #46
BHPian

Made a trip with the family to Kodaikanal (from Chennai) recently in the Corolla Altis. The braking and handling at high speed was not confidence inspiring. Reduced the speed after that. Very comfortable to drive and be driven. The side support for the back in the front seats is a touch narrow for big built persons and can be a tad disconcerting.
Old 19th June 2010, 06:41   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
Made a trip with the family to Kodaikanal (from Chennai) recently in the Corolla Altis. The braking and handling at high speed was not confidence inspiring. Reduced the speed after that. Very comfortable to drive and be driven. The side support for the back in the front seats is a touch narrow for big built persons and can be a tad disconcerting.
Doc,
My experience with Toyotas is that they are very reliable cars - and that's about it.Handling,ride and the rest are all average for the car that comes at a price.

What can you expect from a car which is actually a B-Segment car in countries like the UAE?
Old 4th December 2010, 03:29   #48
BHPian

10,000 kms will be up in a couple of days. Squeaks from the rear seat (? from the rear suspension too) need to be looked into during the scheduled service. The reverse indicator is a real boon.
Old 2nd January 2011, 07:01   #49
BHPian

Re: Our new Toyota Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
10,000 kms will be up in a couple of days. Squeaks from the rear seat (? from the rear suspension too) need to be looked into during the scheduled service.
Completed 10,000 kms service this week. The rear squeak was 'attended to' but has come back within 3 days. Have informed Lanson Toyota - standard response - "Please bring the car, we will look into it".
Old 2nd January 2012, 02:46   #50
BHPian

Completed 20,000 kms service recently. Horn needed some adjustment. Part A-04466-02181 Pad kit RR Disc Brake at Rs.6236.82 took the overall bill to INR 8071. Lanson Toyota, koyambedu said it is a normal wear and tear at this mileage needing replacement. Is this correct?
Old 2nd January 2012, 10:23   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

brake pads changed at 20,000kms is not normal - wonder if this is part of the Q revolution?

They must have changed the pads as per their "service schedule" which does not look into the usage pattern,residual life etc.

I don't know what special material gets used in Toyota brake pads to warrant such high costs ; rubbish is all I can say.

Why don't you try Harsha Toyota next time?

Just to mention that I was running on stock Sumitomo brake pads on my Versa till the car was sold last year - that was 58000kms and the pads still had approx 5000kms of life in it.
Old 2nd January 2012, 19:08   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
brake pads changed at 20,000kms is not normal - wonder if this is part of the Q revolution?

They must have changed the pads as per their "service schedule" which does not look into the usage pattern,residual life etc.

I don't know what special material gets used in Toyota brake pads to warrant such high costs ; rubbish is all I can say.

Why don't you try Harsha Toyota next time?

Just to mention that I was running on stock Sumitomo brake pads on my Versa till the car was sold last year - that was 58000kms and the pads still had approx 5000kms of life in it.
Thats a lot of kms to have run on a single set of break pads. Kudos to you!

The Altis is becoming notorious for break pad changes at 15-20k kms. I think you are absolutely right and its more of a service schedule thing with dealers happily making money. If the pads really worn out that fast then its a shame since they cost quite a lot.
Old 3rd January 2012, 11:44   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
If the pads really worn out that fast then its a shame since they cost quite a lot.
Thanks for the kudos ; my mech asked me if I had bypassed the brakes or something.The trick is to use engine braking as much as possible.

On the Altis brake pads,yes,it is a shame that Q Class brake pads last only 20k kms ; and at 6 grand,it is not cheap.

Who knows,the 20k km pads might be finding their way to some local spare parts shops
Old 4th January 2012, 22:56   #54
BHPian

My family owns a diesel Altis and i thought the brake pad issue was a one-off case. I had replaced the brake pads at 20000 kms and after a mere 10000 kms, i was told to replace it again, along with brake discs!
Other issues i had so far;
At 14,000kms, i had reported an engine oil issue following which the car was recalled at 20,000kms and rectified only to have a complete engine malfunction(loss of power, noise etc) 2500kms later.

At 23500kms, the oil check light was back on and was rectified.

The car has 34000kms on the odo now and i am hoping i have no more surprises in store for me. Whatever happened to the legendary Toyota reliability?
Old 5th January 2012, 13:27   #55
Senior - BHPian

On my old Esteem, I used to change brake pads every 10k to 15k kms. Yes, I do drive fast and hence the usage of brakes are also on the higher side. But, the brake pads were much cheaper though. 6000 for brake pads seems to be too costly. Is Toyota using the Bosch brake pads ?
Old 5th January 2012, 14:29   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel that vigsom is right. The dealers are changing the break pads according to the service schedules and not according to there actual state of wear and tear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reventon2010 View Post
My family owns a diesel Altis and i thought the brake pad issue was a one-off case. I had replaced the brake pads at 20000 kms and after a mere 10000 kms, i was told to replace it again, along with brake discs!
Did you check the break pads before getting them replaced? Also was there any issue with the car's breaking or did the dealer just notify you about the break pads during there own check up of the car?

My Innova has only undergone 2 break pad changes so far during its 82k kms run. The first one was around the 40k mark and I got after market break pads that time. Next again got them changed at Toyota dealer at 76k kms. The condition at both the times was worn out so a change was justified although the second time they still had another 5k kms life left in them. But since the car goes on the highways I got them changed never the less.

I am keeping my fingers crossed with the Altis. Spending 15k on all 4 break pads at every 15-20k kms is not something I am looking forward too. Will go ahead and get after market ones if the need arises.
Old 5th January 2012, 20:42   #57
BHPian

Yes, i did. I told them to hold off replacing the brake pads until i personally inspected it and it sure was worn down. The mechanic advised me to use engine braking whenever possible. The fact is though, this car is almost always driven by a chauffeur and he drives rather sedately.

Last edited by reventon2010 : 5th January 2012 at 20:52.
Old 5th January 2012, 22:34   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reventon2010
Yes, i did. I told them to hold off replacing the brake pads until i personally inspected it and it sure was worn down. The mechanic advised me to use engine braking whenever possible. The fact is though, this car is almost always driven by a chauffeur and he drives rather sedately.
It could also happen, if your driver had the habit of needlessly using brakes frequently for slowing down continually instead of using the gears. Maybe, @drmohitg can check the life of his brake pads as well.
Old 5th January 2012, 23:09   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
It could also happen, if your driver had the habit of needlessly using brakes frequently for slowing down continually instead of using the gears. Maybe, @drmohitg can check the life of his brake pads as well.
Well but his is not the only case. There have been many other reports too of break pad changes between 15k-20k kms. Anyways I am keeping my fingers crossed. Will try to use more engine breaking from now on although I hope that would not harm the engine (?).
My car is too new for any evaluation of the break pads yet. Only 3 months old and done 4800 kms. Lets see what surprises does the 10k service bring.

To the OP: Sorry for hijacking your thread mate.
Old 6th January 2012, 09:41   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Will try to use more engine braking from now on although I hope that would not harm the engine (?).
I was worried about the same thing. Any help in this regard would be great.

Most Viewed