Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2012, 16:22   #61
NGM
BHPian

Re: Our new Toyota Corolla Altis

It happend to my altis also after running 20k Km.Changed the front brakepads for 15K. SE told me that they have replaced brakepads for other altis also betweem 10 and 20K.In my case i rarely use the altis for city use and mainly used during NH drives.So i guess Altis brakepads need frequent change when compared to other cars.
Old 6th January 2012, 17:02   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
It happend to my altis also after running 20k Km.Changed the front brakepads for 15K. SE told me that they have replaced brakepads for other altis also betweem 10 and 20K.In my case i rarely use the altis for city use and mainly used during NH drives.So i guess Altis brakepads need frequent change when compared to other cars.
Did you by any chance take a look at the pads that were taken off from your car? Did your car had any breaking issues before you gave it for servicing for example did you feel that the breaks had gone loose or there was any noise while breaking? I seriously feel this is dealers taking customers for a ride.
Old 6th January 2012, 17:13   #63
NGM
BHPian

I didnt get a chance to look at the pads.But i notice that there was a sound while braking and requested SE to check after running 14K kms.At that time they informed that i can manage another 5000 Km with it.During the 3 year service and after running 22K i was asked to replace the brakepads.From 14K itself i was able to hear this sound.But to notice that u need to switch off your music system.I still feel it is early to replace brake pads.But lot of altis are reporting the same issue.
Another thing i have noticed is that even after a proper cleanup of tyre and rims,after every trip even if it is only 100 Kms the rim get covered by black powder due to braking(but i dont do hispeed/extensive braking) and i find it very difficult to keep it clean .If it was due to my driving style then the same would have happend to my other cars like honda city,zen etc.
Old 27th January 2012, 14:22   #64
BHPian

One of my relatives has bought an Altis Diesel (the new one). This has the Panasonic 7800 Touch Screen audio which came along as OE. This does not have video out and hence he is not able to draw the video for the head rest based display unit.

Can any one of you please tell me how to get this done?
Old 6th May 2012, 11:36   #65
BHPian

Can someone post interior pictures of J variant...
Old 24th September 2012, 17:15   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Well but his is not the only case. There have been many other reports too of break pad changes between 15k-20k kms. Anyways I am keeping my fingers crossed. Will try to use more engine breaking from now on although I hope that would not harm the engine (?).
My car is too new for any evaluation of the break pads yet. Only 3 months old and done 4800 kms. Lets see what surprises does the 10k service bring.

To the OP: Sorry for hijacking your thread mate.
Just a heads up, i just finished 2 years and 20,000 kms on my Altis. The toyota service is great but was shocked that i was told to replace my disc breaks for Rs. 16,000/- i have other cars and have never replaced brakes in just 20,000 kms and my driving is not aggressive in anyway. I am going to write a mail to toyota and see what they reply. I saw the brakes but as a layman what am i to make of it.
Old 24th September 2012, 20:32   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishaanranderia View Post
Just a heads up, i just finished 2 years and 20,000 kms on my Altis. The toyota service is great but was shocked that i was told to replace my disc breaks for Rs. 16,000/- i have other cars and have never replaced brakes in just 20,000 kms and my driving is not aggressive in anyway. I am going to write a mail to toyota and see what they reply. I saw the brakes but as a layman what am i to make of it.
Do post some pics of the same if you have any. The gurus on the Forum might be able to help in this regard. The thing is I feel this might be a issue with Altis as such since every dealer across the country cannot be taking the customer on a ride. BTW did you have any problems with your break? I might opt for aftermarket stuff if the Toyota Genuine parts are so useless. Do write to Toyota too on this and see what they have to say on this.
Old 25th September 2012, 11:40   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Do post some pics of the same if you have any. The gurus on the Forum might be able to help in this regard. The thing is I feel this might be a issue with Altis as such since every dealer across the country cannot be taking the customer on a ride. BTW did you have any problems with your break? I might opt for aftermarket stuff if the Toyota Genuine parts are so useless. Do write to Toyota too on this and see what they have to say on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
I didnt get a chance to look at the pads.But i notice that there was a sound while braking and requested SE to check after running 14K kms.At that time they informed that i can manage another 5000 Km with it.During the 3 year service and after running 22K i was asked to replace the brakepads.From 14K itself i was able to hear this sound.But to notice that u need to switch off your music system.I still feel it is early to replace brake pads.But lot of altis are reporting the same issue.
Another thing i have noticed is that even after a proper cleanup of tyre and rims,after every trip even if it is only 100 Kms the rim get covered by black powder due to braking(but i dont do hispeed/extensive braking) and i find it very difficult to keep it clean .If it was due to my driving style then the same would have happend to my other cars like honda city,zen etc.

I can safely say that Toyota Corolla has always have had brake pad and brake disc problems. I've got a 7.5 yr 1.8 E 2005 corolla currently approaching 90K and everyone one in my house hold is a sedate driver. In these 7+ years I've had almost 3 brake pads changed and front disc brakes changed I don't remember the ODO readings when they happened but they were much frequent than the norm.

The constant blackish powder on the wheel spokes means that your pads are taking a beating every time you drive no matter how you drive or brake. I also had a difficult time in keeping them clean.

I really don't know about the recent diesel ones but one of my friend just confirmed that his diesel had to change pads at 25k.

Also the sound you mention you hear when braking always means that the discs taking a beating. I say that from painful past experience. And lastly in my next service I'll have to change the rear disc brakes too according to service guys.

SO all in all Toyota corolla does have regular brake pads and discs problems what needs more research is that whether they are in particular lot or a problem area across the board for corollas.
Old 25th September 2012, 12:52   #69
AWD
BHPian

I did not face much problem with the Brake pads on my 04 Corolla, driven 75k kms now. I only changed once at ~40-45k kms. The problem though was Toyota has priced the brake pads way too high. So I got a set from local accessories dealer, cost me ~1500/-. While Toyota's asking price was 8.5K!
Old 25th September 2012, 17:48   #70
BHPian

My altis has another problem all together. The low beam conks off every month. It is priced at a sweet 10.5K + taxes - totals 11.x K. I have to look at some other option to light the roads now - cant spend 11K only on lights.
Old 7th February 2013, 22:32   #71
BHPian

30,000 Kms service - rear brake pads changed once again - 3 year old Corolla Altis

30,000 Kms service - rear brake pads changed once again - 3 year old Toyota Corolla Altis.

The service guys insisted that all Toyota Corolla Altis cars need the rear brake pads to be changed every 10,000 kms when I reminded them that the brake pads on my car had been changed during the 20,000 kms service just a year earlier. They also politely warned me that if it is not changed the brakes may suffer extensive damage necessitating even more costly replacements and repairs.

Since it appeared that I had no choice, I authorised the replacement and they went ahead with it.

I told them and the 'feedback team' that they should seriously consider including this in the cost of the 10,000 kms service schedule or Toyota should consider making the rear brake pads last much longer.
Old 7th February 2013, 23:33   #72
BHPian

Quote:

My Innova has only undergone 2 break pad changes so far during its 82k kms run. The first one was around the 40k mark and I got after market break pads that time. Next again got them changed at Toyota dealer at 76k kms. The condition at both the times was worn out so a change was justified although the second time they still had another 5k kms life left in them. But since the car goes on the highways I got them changed never the less.
My '09 Innova has done 49k on the clock till now still when Lanson ran a full test during the 45k mark they said the brake pads had at least another 10k life in them,3 years & 49k kms and still on first set of brake pads, I am one happy Innova owner & also a Toyota customer.

Nevertheless planning to get them changed at 50K service.
Old 8th February 2013, 12:04   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Congrats on your Altis.
======
A bottle of STP or equivalent injector cleaner every few tankfuls should suffice.

Cheers!
Sorry for sounding like a dork, but are STP products easily sourced locally?? Any stores where they can be ordered online in India/Mumbai?
Old 8th February 2013, 12:32   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
30,000 Kms service - rear brake pads changed once again - 3 year old Toyota Corolla Altis.

The service guys insisted that all Toyota Corolla Altis cars need the rear brake pads to be changed every 10,000 kms when I reminded them that the brake pads on my car had been changed during the 20,000 kms service just a year earlier.
Mine too were changed at 20K kms. At 34K kms the pad depth reduced from 8.5mm to 6mm.

If by 42K, the rear pads are worn then the car really does eat pads. Plus the Altis has low engine braking thanks to emission norms and brake usage is more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
My '09 Innova has done 49k on the clock till now still when Lanson ran a full test during the 45k mark they said the brake pads had at least another 10k life in them
What does that have to do with the Altis? The Innova does not have rear brake pads. Innova has drums at the rear and we are discussing Altis rear disc brake pads.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 8th February 2013 at 12:34.
Old 8th February 2013, 13:00   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parassoni View Post
Sorry for sounding like a dork, but are STP products easily sourced locally?? Any stores where they can be ordered online in India/Mumbai?
I believe STP products have gone off the shelf at least in Pune and at my dealer. He doesn't seem to stock them anymore for reasons unknown. I am quite sure you will be able to get it in Mumbai especially at car accessory/parts stores in and around the Opera House area.

You do get them online at vicky.in (see feedback on TBHP, not very encouraging), snapdeal etc. For e.g. see here:

http://www.vicky.in/shopping/stp/stp...etor-treatment

Honestly speaking, just making sure you add clean fuel should do away with the need of getting a can of injector cleaner. Since my post back in 2010 I've been using standard fuel. No cleaner has been added and the engine still purrs.

PS - If you have a diesel car you need the diesel injector cleaner.
Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 8th February 2013 at 13:03.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks