Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2010, 16:20   #271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
sorry for my ignorance- did not track it so closely as to what is the difference between this and the fusion? For me- looks almost like the fusion and also is a large hatch.
What you don't see is the size. The lines may be similar, but the Fusion is a much larger car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
The Fusion i guess was not much of a success at all primarily having a sluggish engine..
Again, if i sound unaware on this..i really am- welcome some enlightenment from more knowledgeable souls on this aspect
Sluggish engine? Which Fusion are you talking of?

The Petrol was a stonker 101 PS 1.6 litre

and even the Diesel is a respectable FTD car!
Old 5th February 2010, 16:50   #272
Senior - BHPian

Ford's TDCi might feel sluggish but its not at all. Till 80kmph it easily keeps up with cars double the power. Even on highway the engine is capable of doing speeds between 100-120 without stress, with a top whack of 160KMPH.

Lets say there are 60k members on TBHP. Out of that 60k 10% are interested in buying Figo. Out of that 10 percent i guess only 1-2% will be craving for 1.6. Figo is build to price car and their aim is volumes just like GM is pulling with their newly launched Beat and entry level Spark.

If people really wanted the 1.6 hatch they would have bought the Fusion in the first place.

Last edited by abhibh : 5th February 2010 at 16:54.
Old 5th February 2010, 16:53   #273
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Wow! That will be an easy job to do in real and the car looks good like that. Nice job CrAzY dRiVeR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post

Aquaris Blue+Lip Spoiler = 1.6S Looks
Thanks guys!
Aquaris Blue, i forgot! Sort of like this PS job, i guess! Man, i like this car (except for the comparitively plain side profile)!
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-4312610175_330076588e_blue.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th February 2010 at 17:00.
Old 5th February 2010, 17:32   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

@ Crazy Driver - Brilliant! Should we add the black eyebrowed headlamps?
Old 5th February 2010, 17:51   #275
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Figo's start rolling off the assembly line:

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-pic.jpg

Quote:
Production of the new Ford Figo begins in Chennai India following a $500 Million (USD) investment by Ford Motor Company. Chief Minister Karunanidi and Deputy Chief Minister Dr. M K Stalin participate in ceremonies as Tom Chackalackal, Ford India's vice president, manufacturing - vehicle operations, drives first Figo off the line. New car production capacity is up to 200,000 units annually - doubling vehicle production at the facility. Chennai Facility also to produce both Diesel and Petrol engines on new flexible line.
Quote:
With a capacity of 250,000 engines a year, Chennai, India stands poised to become a major hub for the exportation of both diesel and gasoline engines moving into the next decade.

Initially, the plant will focus on the assembly of both the common rail 1.4L diesel engine and the new 1.2L petrol engine. Both engines, along with locally sourced Ford's IB5 transmissions, will be fitted in the new Ford Figo that will be produced at the plant starting in the first quarter of 2010.

The new 1.2L engine has been specifically designed for the Indian market with emphasis on fuel efficiency. The engine also was engineered specifically to run on 88 RON fuel, an important consideration for the Indian market and meet the Bharat IV emission standards, along with complying the latest Euro 4 requirements for export markets.
The 1.2L engine is based upon the family of Ford SIGMA engines and is one of ten types of engines the plant is capable of producing. Displacement for the SIGMA engines range up to 1.6L with engines available with 5-speed manual or 6-speed automatic transmissions.

Production of the engines begins with raw castings of the blocks, cylinder heads and crankshafts arriving from Indian and international suppliers for final machining at the facility. The machine shop encompasses more than 16,000 square metres and will include a fully flexible, four-axis CNC machining centre for the cylinder head, block and crankshaft lines with a central coolant facility.

Crankshafts for both the diesel and petrol engines are machined with a fully automated Gantry loading system. Both forged (diesel) and cast (petrol) engine crankshafts will be
machined at the new facility.

Following final machining, the inspection process for major components will be measured thorough state-of- the-art Coordinated Measuring Machines. Quality checks for best-in-class metal purity also will be inspected at on-site labs prior to assembly operations.

The new engine assembly line stretches approximately 900 metres and nearly 37 percent is fully or semi- automated. Additionally, the new flexible line is set up to produce all engine variants including 1.2L, 1.4L and 1.6L in both petrol and diesel, with a continuous mixed flow and doesn't require to be "bundled" or batch built.

Best practices, including automation in certain assembly operations, have been adopted from Ford's global operations throughout the facility. In critical areas, including piston and camshaft installation, operations are performed manually by highly skilled technicians. Nearly 52 percent of the parts for the engines, including piston/rings/connecting rods are kitted prior to installation to help facilitate ease of installation at the operator level.

As part of the plant's continual efforts at 100 percent quality, four engine dynamometers are located on-site at Chennai. Production engines are regularly audited from the assembly line and thoroughly tested on the dynamometers to ensure quality, performance and durability standards are met. Production validation tests are conducted on all engine variations in these facilities to meet standards that are equivalent to 200,000kms. On road durability and endurance testing in dusty and rough road conditions as well as high idle city driving also is evaluated.

Last edited by GTO : 5th February 2010 at 17:52.
Old 5th February 2010, 17:59   #276
BHPian

Figo looks really elegant in the above pic.

Quote:
Displacement for the SIGMA engines range up to 1.6L with engines available with 5-speed manual or 6-speed automatic transmissions.
So, 1.6 is on the way. Well, with 6 speed AT it should be really exciting and would make 1.6 Figo standout from all the other high end hatches. But doubt whether Ford will plonk the AT for Indian consumers.

Last edited by rajivn : 5th February 2010 at 18:02.
Old 5th February 2010, 18:36   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivn View Post
Figo looks really elegant in the above pic.

So, 1.6 is on the way. Well, with 6 speed AT it should be really exciting and would make 1.6 Figo standout from all the other high end hatches. But doubt whether Ford will plonk the AT for Indian consumers.
Before you stand up to celebrate.

Quote:

The 1.2L engine is based on the family of Ford SIGMA engines and is one of ten types of engines the plant is capable of producing. Displacement for the SIGMA engines range up to 1.6L, available with five-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmissions. Among the first export markets to receive the SIGMA 1.4L and 1.6L engines are countries in the ASEAN region.
---

While the Indian consumer will be able to choose either the 1.4L Duratorq TDCi diesel or 1.2L Duratec petrol engines for the Figo, both engines will be equipped with Ford's IB5 manual transmission for the Indian market. Export engines will be produced for either the manual or Ford's new six-speed automatic transmission.

Last edited by kiku007 : 5th February 2010 at 18:38.
Old 5th February 2010, 18:49   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Before you stand up to celebrate.

While the Indian consumer will be able to choose either the 1.4L Duratorq TDCi diesel or 1.2L Duratec petrol engines for the Figo, both engines will be equipped with Ford's IB5 manual transmission for the Indian market. Export engines will be produced for either the manual or Ford's new six-speed automatic transmission.
I am aware of that Kiku. Point is we have i20 1.4 Automatic which is primarily for exports but same time offered to us as well as one of options though its comes with a huge premium. Ford can also offer one in similar lines. Figo 1.6 Auto is way more exciting than the i20 1.4 Auto.
Old 5th February 2010, 18:59   #279
Senior - BHPian

Great news that the Figo is rolling off the assembly lines. The news about the 1.6 litre engine bodes well too, but I found it strange that the Figo can come with a 6-speed auto transmission, specially when the newest generation Fiesta 1.6 comes comes with a 4-speed auto-transmission.

Just check the video a team bhpian has posted in the Indian Car Scene section titled "SPOTTED - Fiesta Titanium or Figo?"
Old 5th February 2010, 19:45   #280
BHPian

What does it mean when we say "rolling off the assembly lines"? Does it mean that the cars will be available in the dealerships for purchase?

Guys, forgive me for the dumb question!
Old 5th February 2010, 20:25   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
If people really wanted the 1.6 hatch they would have bought the Fusion in the first place.
Nah! Not necessarily.

A Figo 1.6 (if and when it comes) will be one true hot hatch. More like the legendary Palio GTX / S10.

The Fusion is not exactly that. It is a big body, tall car. And to keep the handling in tradition with the Fords, they have compromised on the ride (it is hard).

I suppose the Figo will have a better compromise between ride and handling than the Fusion (where it is more handling less ride).
Old 6th February 2010, 15:46   #282
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
What does it mean when we say "rolling off the assembly lines"? Does it mean that the cars will be available in the dealerships for purchase?

Guys, forgive me for the dumb question!
Never a question that's dumb.

What the press release means is that the production line is 100% ready and Figos have started rolling off. The first batch will be sent across to dealerships across the country. What it also means is that the Figo's launch is around the corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
I suppose the Figo will have a better compromise between ride and handling than the Fusion (where it is more handling less ride).
The Figo will be decidedly superior to the Fusion in the ride & handling department. Ride quality is anyways better, and the lower stance / center of gravity gives the Figo superior handling.
Old 6th February 2010, 16:19   #283

Launch on 8th?

Ford dealer in Pune called my friend and told to come over on 8th to see the car and book. Prices start at ~3.5 lakhs.
Old 6th February 2010, 17:13   #284
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@ Crazy Driver - Brilliant! Should we add the black eyebrowed headlamps?
Thanks Kishore. It may not be evident in the pic, but even normal Figo has slight smoke effect. Will try to change, when i login from home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogusgenius View Post
Ford dealer in Pune called my friend and told to come over on 8th to see the car and book. Prices start at ~3.5 lakhs.
So, its going to be a Monday launch! Waiting for the pricelist.

I really hope they add rear power windows, atleast as options on the high end variant.
Old 6th February 2010, 17:15   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogusgenius View Post
Wow, finally it is here, almost. I too expect it to start at 3.5 Lakh, with agressive pricing across all its variants.

Hatchback segment is now like a battlefield for the companies. And the new fighters (like beat, figo) are definitely long lasting warriors with their overall packaging and pricing. I feel so good to witness the sudden change in the Indian automobile industry and to see all the good players to join the indian hatchback market and targeting the volume driven segment. Bring it on.

Toyota must be cursing itself to join this segment so late with forthcoming Etios. Better late than never.

VW, please price polo aggressively and show us you are indeed 'people car'.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks