Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2010, 22:45   #2836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
Half clutch is unavoidable in certain conditions. Wonder how you hadnt used it all these days.

My Scenario : There is a steep slope before I enter my building. There is a gate so I need to climb and wait for the watchman to open it. Then I need to go slowly up because some kids might run about. Half clutch is the only way out.
My wife on the other hand just rushes inside - I suddenly realize that she may not know this technique too.
I have used a motorcycle for the most of the time, that's why I missed out the half clutch techniques in car driving. I have used it rarely but not mastered it. Petrol engines are fine with me. Diesel engines are new.

I am in favour of the half clutch technique to avoid any accidents.
Old 2nd July 2010, 01:22   #2837
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if anyone noticed it yet, but I just saw the Figo on Ford South Africa's website: Ford - The New Ford Figo
Old 2nd July 2010, 01:40   #2838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
In a slope, shift to 1st and leave it and start moving (it should and will move up with 4 pax. If the vehicle does not climb then the engine is absolutely useless, only to be thrown out) Even the old Matadors on Ambassdors have easily climbed all slopes

Modern engines are extremely capable of pulling over a slope with ease

Last weekend I drove my B-i-l Ikon 1.8D (a known sluggish engine) to Kodai from Palani, I did not have any problem in climbing with 4 people inside. I think Figo should not have any problem in climbing infact should zip the slope.
Points to be noted: - never do a half clutch business - will decrease the power of the engine and clutch plate life and also will not climb(so we rev up the engine which is also useless).
-By instinct we keep the left leg on the clutch and think to avoid jumping forward. No need, release the clutch slowly and easily it should move up in 1st with its full torque.
-Please do not try in 2nd gear.
-Even if there are vehicles at the front and back - need not rev up, should easily move up in 1st. If need to be stationed in a slope precise use of hand brake is best for a longer period and Half clutch can be used without rev up of the engine for a very shorter period of 1 to 2 min.

My apartment has a 45 degree slope for 2 metres and no problem with my figo, but need to test in a hill drive.
I just discovered what you said holds true for Figo.

I was able to climb an incline in 1st gear by slowly releasing the clutch with no throttle. The car climbed a 45 degree slope with two pax and AC on without stalling the engine! My mistake was to release the clutch two fast out of panic.

I am sure the Figo TDCi does not have trouble climbing mountains anymore.

Thanks again RGK.
Old 2nd July 2010, 01:42   #2839
BHPian

@kage9091

Glad to hear that you could manage the climb smoothly today.
But you mentioned that you did not need to do the same procedure while moving up an incline on petrol cars you had driven? Could you tell me what exactly is the difference in procedure that you adopted today while climbing up compared to that on a petrol car? I'm a bit confused here because half clutching is what I always do when I am in a similar situation in my Xing.
Old 2nd July 2010, 08:44   #2840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kage9091 View Post

I was able to climb an incline in 1st gear by slowly releasing the clutch with no throttle. The car climbed a 45 degree slope with two pax and AC on without stalling the engine! My mistake was to release the clutch two fast out of panic.

Thanks again RGK.
Good to hear that.. Thanks for the update kage..
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:13   #2841
BHPian

Guys how to you rate the build quality of figo with that of fusion? I mean the body and the interiors? When i touched both , I felt the figo is lighter than fusion.
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:41   #2842
BHPian

Still have not received mudflaps from Fortune Ford, Hyderabad even though it has been 45 days since delivery. Such callous attitude. Juts wrote a mail to Ford'd ED, Nifel Wark. Let's see.

Other owners. Ford advertises the dual horn feature for Figo. Which speed does the dual sound get activated? Thanks.
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:11   #2843
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks again RGK.
Welcome. Just if you practice for few days, then it will become automatic for you. Anytime,Anywhere initially move the car in 1st gear whether petrol or diesel - I feel this is a better practice and will be a boon in hill driving and off course helps in slopes also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightening View Post
Guys how to you rate the build quality of figo with that of fusion? I mean the body and the interiors? When i touched both , I felt the figo is lighter than fusion.
No doubt Figo body & interior quality are definitely poorer - that is called VFM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeggina View Post
Still have not received mudflaps from Fortune Ford, Hyderabad even though it has been 45 days since delivery. Such callous attitude. Juts wrote a mail to Ford'd ED, Nifel Wark. Let's see.

Other owners. Ford advertises the dual horn feature for Figo. Which speed does the dual sound get activated? Thanks.
Nigel wark will reply you immediately - not available . Mud flaps are not available all the time at all places. You need to follow with the dealer regularly.
The horn sound is dual tone by default and does not get activated anytime.

Quote:
Half clutch is unavoidable in certain conditions. Wonder how you hadnt used it all these days.

My Scenario : There is a steep slope before I enter my building. There is a gate so I need to climb and wait for the watchman to open it. Then I need to go slowly up because some kids might run about. Half clutch is the only way out.
My wife on the other hand just rushes inside - I suddenly realize that she may not know this technique too.
Half clutch certainly helps in most of the situations but no need to rev up and use it for a minimum period of time like entering your apartment. If you need to station your vehicle for a longer period on slope - always better to use handbrake or push the brake pedal in neutral gear whichever is convenient. Always better to use minimum of clutch pedal - that is use only at the time of gear changes.

Last edited by RGK : 2nd July 2010 at 12:13.
Old 2nd July 2010, 14:06   #2844
Adrenalin

Quote:
Thanks Adrenalin, I will definitely practice the clutch, accelerator, hand brake routine to overcome this issue. BTW, I went to the workshop today and with the mechanic's guidance (he suggested half clutch technique) I made it up the same slope. This time there three people in the car opposed to one last time with Ac on too.
Good that you could able to do it. I used to use "Half clutch" technique earlier..sometime it really helps... but in long run, my suggestion is to always make a good use of parking brake while you do such steep climbings..for longer life of clutch

Old 2nd July 2010, 14:34   #2845
BHPian

Here is an article of the sales of the Ford Figo.

22858 units between April-June. Add the earlier units sold and you have a whooping figure.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-figosales.jpg  

Old 2nd July 2010, 14:40   #2846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
@kage9091

Glad to hear that you could manage the climb smoothly today.
But you mentioned that you did not need to do the same procedure while moving up an incline on petrol cars you had driven? Could you tell me what exactly is the difference in procedure that you adopted today while climbing up compared to that on a petrol car? I'm a bit confused here because half clutching is what I always do when I am in a similar situation in my Xing.
In petrol cars, I did not have to release the clutch so gently like the diesel Figo.

On the other hand, if I just start midway on a slope with just first gear and no throttle, the Figo climbs on its own.

The mistake was that I was releasing the clutch too fast on my diesel Figo while on petrols, I could release the clutch anyway I wanted they never stalled.

On the other hand, It could be more of psychological fear of stalling the engine in my Figo because I got stuck on the slope once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
Good to hear that.. Thanks for the update kage..
You're welcome arunkk.
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:45   #2847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is an article of the sales of the Ford Figo.

22858 units between April-June. Add the earlier units sold and you have a whooping figure.
that is really good, no?

I have seen the initial figures with petrol diesel ration being 45:55, is it still the same? I some how feel that Diesel is creeping up :P, not many petrols in the yard when I did my PDI
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:56   #2848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Does anyone has any idea about the Total Maintainence plan for Figo? I booked my Figo and expecting the delivery day after, would like to understand the implications of having/not having this plan. I did spoke to the SP but he tells me that he has just got the details of TMP and would give me the details tomorrow. Though he is a good person I am not sure what he is "working". If anyone has any idea please let me know.

Also please tell me if opting for this would be redundant/extra cost if I already opted for the third year extended warranty!
Not much of an update, the sales guy gets back to me saying that he still did not figure out the details of Total Maintenance Plan. I then asked the sales manager of Talera Ford and he told me that he would forward me the mail that Ford sent him as he himself has not gone through (lame, isn't it?). However, he did tell me that there are a lot of things like fourth year warranty, scheduled maintenance plan which are being worked out.

So let's what happens and anyone please throw some light on Total Maintenance Plan for Figo.
Old 3rd July 2010, 16:34   #2849
BHPian

Got my seats done

3 days back got the seats done for my silver ghost. Posting some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-dsc00584.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-dsc00591.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-dsc00582.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-dsc00590.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-dsc00583.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-dsc00589.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2010, 19:13   #2850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
3 days back got the seats done for my silver ghost. Posting some pictures.

Its those PU seats right? How much did they cost you?

They look good. I wanted it only for my rear seats as I like the default fabric a lot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks